Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWOTOR retry... didn't really capture me (again)

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I dunno. Based on the SWTOR hype for the new Expansion I thought, why not look back to my Level 55 Inquisitor, my fav character from before, and see that Revan 55-60 content, see how the game fares. But to be honest, after 3 days, I didn't really feel the Force.

First day I did some old lv 52-54 quests to accustom myself on Makeb again, Dailies and other stuff. My initial feeling was, how much I really had gotten out of this 2005 combat system: 4 full skill bars with 60 skills, a clusterfuck of UI stuff on my screen (yes I know you can rezise, but I already need glasses, thank you very much). I really feel I grew out of this Everquest-ish combat sytem of "stand still and press your 40 skills in your 4 skillbars all through". These days I really value more dynamic combat with fewer skills, like GW2.

Second... the new planet the new quests... it wasn't really thrilling me either. Kill groups, tag items, go to cave end, press button. I mean, what is the greatest story good, if the actual gameplay feels like 2005?

Third, damn those bosses. I don't know who made the balancing. I thought spending real good money on good lv 55 gear would allow me to defeat those instance bosses. But NO. Yes I know, they have "strategy" aka "press button X now within 2 seconds". The console boss mechanics. Something I as PC gamer always hated, those bosses which are like a timed reaction test, instead of a fight. After 2 bosses (on my level), I was >>completely<< unable to defeat because of said consolish mechanics, I quit.

SWTOR, if you wanted to capture me again, you did a lousy job.

I know some will say, thank god there is real challange. But Wildstar tried "challange" and go see how well that went. I would be so bold to call myself a fairly avarge gamer, with years of experience, so I assume one *should* be able to manage a boss which is supposed to be soloed without watching a long youtube guide.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Elikal

I dunno. Based on the SWTOR hype for the new Expansion I thought, why not look back to my Level 55 Inquisitor, my fav character from before, and see that Revan 55-60 content, see how the game fares. But to be honest, after 3 days, I didn't really feel the Force.

First day I did some old lv 52-54 quests to accustom myself on Makeb again, Dailies and other stuff. My initial feeling was, how much I really had gotten out of this 2005 combat system: 4 full skill bars with 60 skills, a clusterfuck of UI stuff on my screen (yes I know you can rezise, but I already need glasses, thank you very much). I really feel I grew out of this Everquest-ish combat sytem of "stand still and press your 40 skills in your 4 skillbars all through". These days I really value more dynamic combat with fewer skills, like GW2.

Second... the new planet the new quests... it wasn't really thrilling me either. Kill groups, tag items, go to cave end, press button. I mean, what is the greatest story good, if the actual gameplay feels like 2005?

Third, damn those bosses. I don't know who made the balancing. I thought spending real good money on good lv 55 gear would allow me to defeat those instance bosses. But NO. Yes I know, they have "strategy" aka "press button X now within 2 seconds". The console boss mechanics. Something I as PC gamer always hated, those bosses which are like a timed reaction test, instead of a fight. After 2 bosses (on my level), I was >>completely<< unable to defeat because of said consolish mechanics, I quit.

I know some will say, thank god there is real challange. But Wildstar tried "challange" and go see how well that went. I would be so bold to call myself a fairly avarge gamer, with years of experience, so I assume one *should* be able to manage a boss which is supposed to be soloed without watching a long youtube guide.

What bosses were these? I can't recall facing any exceptionally difficult ones. (Aside from the solo flashpoint bosses anyway, but even those are a breeze as long as you don't lose the droid ally they stick you with)

Did you upgrade your gear? You say you spent good money on "55 gear", but did you grab those default purple armors from the fleet vendor? Or did you go to the level 55 mods vendor? The latter is far superior (and cheaper) than the former, since those armors didn't get upgraded like the rest. (sloppy and confusing work on their part no doubt)

If I recall correctly, the armors are grade 162 purples, while the mods are 172 (or 178?) grade blues, which are far stronger despite being blue due to being several grades above the purples.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

What bosses were these? I can't recall facing any exceptionally difficult ones. (Aside from the solo flashpoint bosses anyway, but even those are a breeze as long as you don't lose the droid ally they stick you with)

Did you upgrade your gear? You say you spent good money on "55 gear", but did you grab those default purple armors from the fleet vendor? Or did you go to the level 55 mods vendor? The latter is far superior (and cheaper) than the former, since those armors didn't get upgraded like the rest. (sloppy and confusing work on their part no doubt)

If I recall correctly, the armors are grade 162 purples, while the mods are 172 (or 178?) grade blues, which are far stronger despite being blue due to being several grades above the purples.

I bought all the 172s mods. Of course.

The names of the mobs I dont recall. The first 2 bosses instances? One when you destroy the last transformator for the landcape, the 2nd is a sort of Cthulhu in a watery pit. Endlessly regens, so you always need to interrupt EXACTLY at the right time, a 2 sec time window, and I simply dont have those consolish nimble fingers.

As I said, it isn't the gear so much as the timed reactions. I always loathed that in bosses. I thought it was a thing for Raids, which I hate, while they would leave normal solo-story bosses without that hidious "time reaction" mechanics.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

The names of the mobs I dont recall. The first 2 bosses instances? One when you destroy the last transformator for the landcape, the 2nd is a sort of Cthulhu in a watery pit. Endlessly regens, so you always need to interrupt EXACTLY at the right time, a 2 sec time window, and I simply dont have those consolish nimble fingers.

As I said, it isn't the gear so much as the timed reactions. I always loathed that in bosses. I thought it was a thing for Raids, which I hate, while they would leave normal solo-story bosses without that hidious "time reaction" mechanics.

On Rishi? Or are you talking about the Monolith fight on Ziost? (Which can be nasty if you don't click the terminal to zap the monster)

And it sounds like you came back too early. Judging by Bill's new article, they're going to make the combat more active in the upcoming expansion. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/9796/E3-2015-Knights-of-the-Fallen-Empire-Preview.html/page/1

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

On Rishi? Or are you talking about the Monolith fight on Ziost? (Which can be nasty if you don't click the terminal to zap the monster)

And it sounds like you came back too early. Judging by Bill's new article, they're going to make the combat more active in the upcoming expansion. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/9796/E3-2015-Knights-of-the-Fallen-Empire-Preview.html/page/1

The name of the planet is Oricon.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

them Oricon "bosses" are currently among the hardest solo fights in the game. least the ones i've seen the most complaints about.

do not try to do the heroic mobs there if you find them hard.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Just started playing again and leveled 1-60 and actually really enjoyed it. Don't recall having any trouble on any bosses in the 55-60 content, and the story was decent. To each their own, but I found it to be a pretty solid game. I'm actually not sure what to do now at 60 lol
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

them Oricon "bosses" are currently among the hardest solo fights in the game. least the ones i've seen the most complaints about.

Ah yeah, those guys are pretty tough. They also have the nasty habit of incapacitating your character quite often (either by sending you flying or by using some kind of stun).

Using Heroic Moment can be a huge help in those fights though. And of course using the interrupts, yeah.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Thanks for the evaluation as I was was thinking of doing the same thing.  Trying out level 55 - 60 content on a bounty hunter and sith assassin. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It's not about too many ,it is more about quality of the combat system and SWTOR just does not deliver.I played every class to at least 30 and every class felt the same,i never felt like i could fight tougher than what the game allows you on any class.So basically combat felt linear and constricted.

Too few of skills doesn't cut it either because you need an array of skills to fight varied content unless the content is just shallow with no thought.

IMO nobody has got combat to where it needs to be,FFXI was my fave but it was only a nice starting point,tons more could be done.

Plain and simple for me,it is the linear questing that turns me off,clicking a new npc is  never the same as CHOICE and fighting various different mobs.

In a game like SWTOR what i expected was epic battles/scenes where by the various alien races have their own planets and they come to attack various outposts or cities and the players join together to  fight them.Then we also have choice to go to their planets and attack them,you know the way you expect a real swtor game to be made.

Bottom line is that developers are not giving us game worlds but instead what always looks like auto generated maps with modules placed down.I know the games are just that but they shouldn't look or feel like that.Basically developers are giving us VERY little that is thought provoking,that si why when i see linear questing games,i know the developer doesn't know what they are doing they are making a systematic game,connect the dots,NOT YOUR game to decide.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

The name of the planet is Oricon.

There is a cave with a boss in it, basically you have to interrupt it when it starts draining your health, and kill the creature it spawns so that it can't eat it and regen its health that way, once you get the hang of that, its pretty easy, but it can trip you up if you don't notice what it is doing.  Its also easiest done with ranged dps, you can do it as melee, but its a lot harder of a fight.image

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by Wizardry

In a game like SWTOR what i expected was epic battles/scenes where by the various alien races have their own planets and they come to attack various outposts or cities and the players join together to  fight them.Then we also have choice to go to their planets and attack them,you know the way you expect a real swtor game to be made.

What the hell kind of Star Wars movie did you watch?

Originally posted by Gorwe

Hey Azaron! Remember a guy who was so enthusiastic about SWTOR? I can't remember his name for the life of me, can you help?

Hmm? If that's supposed to be me, I'm still as enthusiastic about it as ever. If you mean someone else... maybe Po_gg? Or BadOrb? image

Originally posted by Phry

There is a cave with a boss in it, basically you have to interrupt it when it starts draining your health, and kill the creature it spawns so that it can't eat it and regen its health that way, once you get the hang of that, its pretty easy, but it can trip you up if you don't notice what it is doing.  Its also easiest done with ranged dps, you can do it as melee, but its a lot harder of a fight.image

Yeah, I remembered it after he said Oricon. I used to visit that beasty on a regular basis for the dailies (and connected weekly).

He was definitely tougher on my Shadow than on my Merc. The other boss he was talking about is either the optional one that's spawns in the tower area (after you blew up those panels along the way), or the Sith guy in the tower.

Ok I feel a bit less stupid now.

But... why can't they just mark difficult bosses as heroic x2 or x4? I think a lot of people return for new content and then one of the first boss fights are so disheartning! That's just ridiculous.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

Ok I feel a bit less stupid now.

But... why can't they just mark difficult bosses as heroic x2 or x4? I think a lot of people return for new content and then one of the first boss fights are so disheartning! That's just ridiculous.

they aren't really that hard once you get the hang of it.. if i remember correctly there's even text popping up on the screen telling you when to interrupt or stun on those guy.. it's in red though so perhaps not so noticeable.

I had fun once, it was terrible.