Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making Amends?

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

So then $50 for the expansion and $20-30 for the game. The expansion comes with an extra character slot. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me - although it is far more expensive for new players. Would you think it was "fair" if new players then made a thread about how it costs $70+ just to start playing GW2? Would you think that those people had entitlement issues?

Ok all the time you guys talk about value of the product and appreciation for the company.

And now you argue that the basic game is not worth 20$?

Harbinger of Fools
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Dakeru

So then $50 for the expansion and $20-30 for the game. The expansion comes with an extra character slot. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me - although it is far more expensive for new players. Would you think it was "fair" if new players then made a thread about how it costs $70+ just to start playing GW2? Would you think that those people had entitlement issues?

Ok all the time you guys talk about value of the product and appreciation for the company.

I'm not arguing. I literally thought they sold the base game for $20-30 at this point. I know they had a sale for $10 fairly recently. I think that if you spent $20-30 on the base game you'd be getting an incredible deal on it. The value is amazing at that price point. The value is amazing at $60 in my opinion. And paying an additional $50 for access to the expansion and all future content is also an amazing value in my opinion.

This is what is particularly strange about your comment. Do you think people should pay MORE for the base game? New players should have to pay $100 or something just to play with the current expansion? It's like you are arguing for the game to be more expensive because you are bitter about paying the full price 3 years ago.

I'm not arguing. I literally thought they sold the base game for $20-30 at this point. I know they had a sale for $10 fairly recently. I think that if you spent $20-30 on the base game you'd be getting an incredible deal on it. The value is amazing at that price point. The value is amazing at $60 in my opinion. And paying an additional $50 for access to the expansion and all future content is also an amazing value in my opinion.

This is what is particularly strange about your comment. Do you think people should pay MORE for the base game? New players should have to pay $100 or something just to play with the current expansion? It's like you are arguing for the game to be more expensive because you are bitter about paying the full price 3 years ago.

Please highlight the lines for me where I apparently said that new players should pay 100$ and more.

You are one of the few I actually respect in this argument but if you start making stuff up now or answer with "this is hilarious!" (in your case "you are bitter because you bought the game 3 years ago") comments like Stone then you are hurting your own creditability.

Harbinger of Fools

Please highlight the lines for me where I apparently said that new players should pay 100$ and more.

You are one of the few I actually respect in this argument but if you start making stuff up now or answer with "this is hilarious!" (in your case "you are bitter because you bought the game 3 years ago") comments like Stone then you are hurting your own creditability.

I'll highlight the line in red that made me wonder about what you wanted new players to actually pay. That line, in my opinion, implied that the base game should cost more than $20. I agree that the value is there for paying more. But if the base game costs more than $20 (or up to $30 like I actually said), then new players would have to pay $20-30 plus the expansion which is $50. $70-80.

But what I wonder is, do you think new players should pay the full price of GW2 in 2012 ($60) and then have to pay $50 on top of it to make it fair to you?

I'll highlight the line in red that made me wonder about what you wanted new players to actually pay. That line, in my opinion, implied that the base game should cost more than $20. I agree that the value is there for paying more. But if the base game costs more than $20 (or up to $30 like I actually said), then new players would have to pay $20-30 plus the expansion which is $50. $70-80.

But what I wonder is, do you think new players should pay the full price of GW2 in 2012 ($60) and then have to pay $50 on top of it to make it fair to you?

I never said something about the full price, I just picked up the value you randomly chose.

To me the base game costs 10€ cause that's the price they have been selling it for in all the recent "get ready for HoT and buy now!" events.

And that's the price people were willing to pay and all would be good if Anet didn't make a last minute decision where they ninja'ed their faq.

Also I often see that those people who bought the game with the large discount can contact the customer support for help.

From what I heard the help means that their Gw2 account will be deleted and they will get a refund and then they can buy HoT if they like.

Personally I don't consider it valid help when all characters and progress are deleted.

But that's hearsay - if you find details of what the help really looks like feel free to show it here.

Harbinger of Fools

I never said something about the full price, I just picked up the value you randomly chose.

To me the base game costs 10€ cause that's the price they have been selling it for in all the recent "get ready for HoT and buy now!" events.

And that's the price people were willing to pay and all would be good if Anet didn't make a last minute decision where they ninja'ed their faq.

Also I often see that those people who bought the game with the large discount can contact the customer support for help.

From what I heard the help means that their Gw2 account will be deleted and they will get a refund and then they can buy HoT if they like.

Personally I don't consider it valid help when all characters and progress are deleted.

But that's hearsay - if you find details of what the help really looks like feel free to show it here.

This is a huge problem with your argument in general. You don't know facts. You don't know what is in the expansion. You don't know HOW they are upgrading accounts from the $10 version to the HoT version (my guess and likely everyone else's guess on the planet would be that you keep progress). You don't have an opinion on what a new player should pay for HoT and the base game. You don't even have an opinion about what a player with the base game should have to pay for the expansion.

You want two keys for $50. That is literally the only thing I know about what you think is fair. And to be honest, that is never, ever going to happen. And my question to you is... do you think that is fair to new players? Should they have to pay full price for the base game and an additional $50 for the expansion. You keep avoiding the question, but I really, really want to know what you think is fair.

Edit: Especially since your entire argument rests upon fairness.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

Yes I am throwing in the generalization card because that's what people seem to do on the Heart of Robbery thread nonstop.

Entitlement Entitlement Entitlement

If a new player pays 50$ and gets GW2 and HoT as bundle then I want the same. Same price - same product.

It's as easy as that.

Wait, what? You expect a 3 year old game to cost the same 3 years ago as it does today?

No I expect to pay 50$ and get one code for the basic game which I will give to a friend and one code for HoT which I will use for myself.

Which would be pointless, given that the friend would then have to buy the expansion and receive an extra game code themself.

I mean, yes you can technically play and be viable without it, but who in their right mind would choose to leave advanced classes, mastery progression, and guild halls out of their play experience? 

This is a huge problem with your argument in general. You don't know facts. You don't know what is in the expansion. You don't know HOW they are upgrading accounts from the $10 version to the HoT version (my guess and likely everyone else's guess on the planet would be that you keep progress). You don't have an opinion on what a new player should pay for HoT and the base game. You don't even have an opinion about what a player with the base game should have to pay for the expansion.

You want two keys for $50. That is literally the only thing I know about what you think is fair. And to be honest, that is never, ever going to happen. And my question to you is... do you think that is fair to new players? Should they have to pay full price for the base game and an additional $50 for the expansion. You keep avoiding the question, but I really, really want to know what you think is fair.

Thing here is when you accuse me of not knowing facts you make it sound like you know the facts -  you don't.

Here is one of the posts of the official forum I stumbled over:

"According to this reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a46s4/preorders_for_heart_of_thorns_are_now_live/cs96lfu) an Anet representative has stated “We’ll most certainly help anyone out who just bought the core game and would like to make the change to a HoT pre-purchase.” Can you please explain what that help will be? According to responses in the forums, it will be terminating the original account(s) and not refunding gem purchases. Is this seriously the “help” being offered, the choice between losing all progress in the game and money spent on it, or being charged an exorbitant price for an expansion, that I was under the impression I was preparing for by purchasing the game and additional character slot?"

I created this thread simply with the message that people on the official forum are angry and the message is being forwarded to Anet so things may change.

You are so eager to prove that there is a problem with my opinion that you keep arguing.

So go ahead - prove me wrong. But back it up with proof instead of making up claims.

Harbinger of Fools

Thing here is when you accuse me of not knowing facts you make it sound like you know the facts -  you don't.

Here is one of the posts of the official forum I stumbled over:

"According to this reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a46s4/preorders_for_heart_of_thorns_are_now_live/cs96lfu) an Anet representative has stated “We’ll most certainly help anyone out who just bought the core game and would like to make the change to a HoT pre-purchase.” Can you please explain what that help will be? According to responses in the forums, it will be terminating the original account(s) and not refunding gem purchases. Is this seriously the “help” being offered, the choice between losing all progress in the game and money spent on it, or being charged an exorbitant price for an expansion, that I was under the impression I was preparing for by purchasing the game and additional character slot?"

I created this thread simply with the message that people on the official forum are angry and the message is being forwarded to Anet so things may change.

You are so eager to prove that there is a problem with my opinion that you keep arguing.

So go ahead - prove me wrong. But back it up with proof instead of making up claims.

I'm not proving you wrong. You aren't answering my questions - on purpose. You have decided instead to deflect. And your deflection is specifically hilarious because it shows that you indeed do not have the facts after all. You literally linked to a reddit thread, highlighted a bunch of words that you wrote yourself, and then acted like they were facts. This was one of the more awful displays of an attempt at appearing legitimate that I've ever seen.

I'm not proving you wrong. You aren't answering my questions - on purpose. You have decided instead to deflect. And your deflection is specifically hilarious because it shows that you indeed do not have the facts after all. You literally linked to a reddit thread, highlighted a bunch of words that you wrote yourself, and then acted like they were facts. This was one of the more awful displays of an attempt at appearing legitimate that I've ever seen.

Not my words - just a post on the official forum. Again you seem to have facts. Show us your facts.

Harbinger of Fools

Not my words - just a post on the official forum. Again you seem to have facts. Show us your facts.

Facts about what? I literally don't know what you're going on about. I asked you a few question. You have been unable to answer them. And in a strange twist, you have asked me for the "facts". 

Can you at least link to the post on the official forum if you are going to quote it? You literally linked something, "quoted" it, and then said it was on a different forum than you linked. How about you show me where this random said those words on the official forums?

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Yes I am throwing in the generalization card because that's what people seem to do on the Heart of Robbery thread nonstop.

Entitlement Entitlement Entitlement

If a new player pays 50$ and gets GW2 and HoT as bundle then I want the same. Same price - same product.

It's as easy as that.

No one complained when they purchased WoD and got all the expansions up to MoP for free. I bought WoD and didn't feel cheated because someone else bought it and got 3 or 4 other expansions for the same thing I did. This entire thread and the other one make no sense to me. If you want the expansion just buy it.

You keep saying this, but it's not true. You get core through MoP for $19.99 USD, you got WoD for the expansion price and nothing more. 

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft store page for the base game (which is on sale atm)

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft-warlords-of-draenor store page for WoD (which is also on sale)

Facts about what? I literally don't know what you're going on about. I asked you a few question. You have been unable to answer them. And in a strange twist, you have asked me for the "facts". 

Can you at least link to the post on the official forum if you are going to quote it? You literally linked something, "quoted" it, and then said it was on a different forum than you linked. How about you show me where this random said those words on the official forums?

You are so eager to mark me as a liar that it's amusing.

I never said I have facts - I said this is what I heard:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/page/72

And that is just one of the posts about this, which I saw while skipping over the 70 pages of angry people.

So I asked you to prove me wrong with your facts.

The whole message of this thread was "Players are angry - Anet acknowledges it - things may change" 

Having said so I will stop answering you because your attempts to discredit me are resulting in a spam here that makes people forget about the original message.

Oh but before I quit answering you, I think I owe you an answer - or at least you feel that way.

Anet sold the original client for 10€ several times. People bought it for that price which is usually a sign that they don't feel the price is unfair.

So if they find it fair to pay that amount then why should I consider it unfair?

Harbinger of Fools

You are so eager to mark me as a liar that it's amusing.

I never said I have facts - I said this is what I heard:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/page/72

And that is just one of the posts about this, which I saw while skipping over the 70 pages of angry people.

So I asked you to prove me wrong with your facts.

The whole message of this thread was "Players are angry - Anet acknowledges it - things may change" 

Having said so I will stop answering you because your attempts to discredit me are resulting in a spam here that makes people forget about the original message.

Oh but before I quit answering you, I think I owe you an answer - or at least you feel that way.

Anet sold the original client for 10€ several times. People bought it for that price which is usually a sign that they don't feel the price is unfair.

So if they find it fair to pay that amount then why should I consider it unfair?

It really is hilarious that your evidence comes from a random. I don't need to discredit. At least I know that you think the base game is worth $10. Are you ok with them charging $10 for that base game and asking for $50 for the expnasion?

At that point, how far off is their offering? They are giving new players an extra $10 in value for being new and that bothers you? 

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    when the expac was announced and it wasn't a free expac, I deleted GW2 from my pc, no use in playing a game that has a cash shop and rediculous upfront fees. Now that's what I call entitlement, but you know what, I am entitled to the expac for free because they have cash shops. I would gladly pay for the expac if there wasn't any cash shop. Oh well I guess they won't get any of my money.

My assumption is that they would not have gained any of your money anyway. So really what do they loose? Unless you did actually spend money on the cash shop that is. 

Thing is it feels a bit like we aren't discussing a game or business but something else.

Merchant: Hey I have this nice item for a fair price.

Customer: Oh the price / value ratio seems fair - I will buy it.

Customer: I love this - I will support the company with additional purchases.

*3 years later*

Merchant: Hey I have a new item for the same price.

Customer: Hmm but from what I can tell  it has a lot less to offer than the previous deal - no, either lower the price or I will wait.

Crowd: You are so selfish, he offered you a really good deal last time so you are indebted to him and in no position to question the new item.

Harbinger of Fools
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

So this expansion costs exactly the same as other MMO expansions, even compared to MMOs with box fee and subscriptions that still hardly offer more than this game.

Wahhhh ANet this and that!

So this expansion costs exactly the same as other MMO expansions.... and now we give you the original game for free on top!

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ANet this and that! Even worse!

Waahhh and I want more for paying less! Or I will take my money elsewhere paying more for the same or even less in all those alternatives I have!

Ohh and random conspiracy to explain this uh totally "unexpected" and "baffling" price equal to pretty much any other MMO expansion these days, on totally solid basis of anonym redditard post making up the typical reddit conspiracy bullshit and claiming utter nonsense about a Daewoo analyst making projections on basis of assuming the expansion cost as much as a expansion these days normaly costs and assumed salesnumbers, claiming it "pressured" NCSoft into this completely normal and hardly differently to be expected price class for a quality MMO like GW2.

Ok thanks for the laugh and see you in HoT!

I don't really see what is so hard to get... It's not about what other studios charge, it's about what you get for the price, that's what determines value. There's no conspiracy, just simple opinions at work, as value is subjective. I'm sure plenty of people bitched about the prices of other expansions based on the same principle thinking, IE is that expansion worth the price? Not based on what other companies do, but what is coming in that box individually. 

Maybe other player-bases just aren't as hostile over such opinions, meaning those threads don't get the traction they have here in this case? That's what really makes no sense, who doesn't expect some to be unhappy with the value of something? That will always be the case. Certain groups deal with it better than others.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Thing is it feels a bit like we aren't discussing a game or business but something else.

*3 years later*

Customer: Hmm but from what I can tell  it has a lot less to offer than the previous deal - no, either lower the price or I will wait.

Crowd: You are so selfish, he offered you a really good deal last time so you are indebted to him and in no position to question the new item.

Wow, how self-serving is that?  look, if this was about something other than people wanting something for as little as possible it might be a worthy thread.  Why can't you people just admit it is about money.

Also, it is funny that in your little post the customer is allowed to question the new item but the crown can't question the customer.  But I guess you feel you are ENTITLED to do that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

*3 years later*

Wow, how self-serving is that?  look, if this was about something other than people wanting something for as little as possible it might be a worthy thread.  Why can't you people just admit it is about money.

Also, it is funny that in your little post the customer is allowed to question the new item but the crown can't question the customer.  But I guess you feel you are ENTITLED to do that.

This works both ways you know? The entire running theme of both of these threads has been essentially folks are in the wrong for questioning the value of said product... Think about that for a second...

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

*3 years later*

you're right! I should start bitching to daybreak about EQ because I dumped money on expansions up to and including GoD but now its all offered for free! I should be given my money back.

I should also be given back my money for all that sub time I paid for since the game is free! If I decide to buy the newest expansion then when the next expansion comes out and everyone else gets the previous expansion for free then I should also get my money back....with interest! and a hooker to give me my money! and to wipe my nose when I start bawling like a spoiled brat!

Originally posted by Kefo

you're right! I should start bitching to daybreak about EQ because I dumped money on expansions up to and including GoD but now its all offered for free! I should be given my money back.

I should also be given back my money for all that sub time I paid for since the game is free! If I decide to buy the newest expansion then when the next expansion comes out and everyone else gets the previous expansion for free then I should also get my money back....with interest! and a hooker to give me my money! and to wipe my nose when I start bawling like a spoiled brat!

Well your hostility aside: What does a refund of your game and hookers have to do with people not buying an expansion?

Harbinger of Fools

*3 years later*

WHat does your response have to do with what was posted? Expecting a purchase to equal the value of money spent = want it for free, do people not see how illogical as well as sensational that leap is?

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

Well your hostility aside: What does a refund of your game and hookers have to do with people not buying an expansion?

Well my post was to illustrate how stupid your post and more importantly your OP is. ANet is giving the base game for free. You are bitching because you already have the base game you should be given another code to the game. With my example I was bitching because I paid for those EQ expansions but now they are being given away for free.

The only difference is that I am not an entitled brat.

P.S. forgive me for my hostility, I have a low tolerance for stupid.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

clearly a lot of people dont think the xpac is worth 50$

calling them names and yelling at them aren't going to suddenly get them to decide that 50$ is an alright price.

if you cant convince players that it is worth it then it obviously isn't  

yeah it's easy to go on saying that everyone just want everything for free but i doubt they'd even own the base game if that was true.

I had fun once, it was terrible.