Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making Amends?

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by eyelolled

However, if you do choose to pay, then you don't get to take advantage of that special offer.

And how is that the same then?

The list of features is the same for everyone. It's not complicated. There are features in the package you can't use or take advantage of and you feel entitled to compensation of an equally valuable feature. The list of features is still the same for everyone whether because after you apply the key the accounts access the same stuff.

It's very much like a Steam bundle where you already own one or more of the games in the bundle. You don't get a second copy/key of the game to give away. It does nothing for your account. What you want is something like one of those third party game bundles that give you separate keys for each game to do with as you please.

Funny..

Last time I bought a bundle on steam I got a key for Torchlight 1 and 2.

They even advertised at the time that if I already possess T1 I could gift the key to someone else.

Harbinger of Fools
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    ^Why...this thread?

Because the shitstorm is so big that Anet may reconsider?

So basically the "hold your breath and stomp your feet" approach.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

However, if you do choose to pay, then you don't get to take advantage of that special offer.

The list of features is the same for everyone. It's not complicated. There are features in the package you can't use or take advantage of and you feel entitled to compensation of an equally valuable feature. The list of features is still the same for everyone whether because after you apply the key the accounts access the same stuff.

It's very much like a Steam bundle where you already own one or more of the games in the bundle. You don't get a second copy/key of the game to give away. It does nothing for your account. What you want is something like one of those third party game bundles that give you separate keys for each game to do with as you please.

Funny..

They even advertised at the time that if I already possess T1 I could gift the key to someone else.

T2 is on sale right now on Steam $7.99,.. are you going to demand that they refund you the difference?

You're Entitled to that right?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

Funny..

T2 is on sale right now on Steam $7.99,.. are you going to demand that they refund you the difference?

You're Entitled to that right?

And now you are just plain trolling

Harbinger of Fools
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Fauzt
    Well all I can say is people with the thinking of the fact that prices should be different, obviously haven't played EQ2, seeing as how with each of their expansions you get all previous ones.  You either want the expansion or don't.  If you do, you're willing to pay for it.  Deal with it

What do you mean by "deal with it"?  Do you want others not to express their opinions on the matter?  Last i checked, we were allowed to on this website, yet others feel the need to be insulting because of this.  Thankfully, there's a block feature that this site offers, so i'll deal with them in that way.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    ^Why...this thread?

Because the shitstorm is so big that Anet may reconsider?

So basically the "hold your breath and stomp your feet" approach.

Exactly...and whine/complain cause they can.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Originally posted by observer
    Well all I can say is people with the thinking of the fact that prices should be different, obviously haven't played EQ2, seeing as how with each of their expansions you get all previous ones.  You either want the expansion or don't.  If you do, you're willing to pay for it.  Deal with it

What do you mean by "deal with it"?  Do you want others not to express their opinions on the matter?  Last i checked, we were allowed to on this website, yet others feel the need to be insulting because of this.  Thankfully, there's a block feature that this site offers, so i'll deal with them in that way.

lol...so "deal with it" means block people telling you to "deal with it"?

Well...it isn't unfair what's goin on. Just unfair to you...deal with it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The only people who have to deal with anything, are those who have a problem with open discussion... You're gonna have to get used to reading stuff you don't agree with at some point, it's always going to be there. Getting angry about it will eventually become detrimental to your health. See that's the great thing about games, you don't have to deal with them.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

I think an issue some people have is that Arena Net encouraged people to buy the game as it currently stands by basically saying "Buy now and get caught up for the expansion!" and then went and bundled the base game with the expansion.  It's kind of shady, IMO, to encourage new players to buy your game so they can get take advantage of the content  in an upcoming expansion knowing full well they were going to bundle the two together.  So someone who bought base GW2 last week or sometime after the expansion was announced because of a desire to get caught up that was encouraged by the company, just got hoodwinked.  Had Arena Net been honest from the beginning and said "Guys, we're going to be bundling the base game with the expansion for new players/accounts so you can either buy now and enjoy the game until the expansion but pay and additional $50 or wait and get both for $50" then there wouldn't be a problem. 

I have no issue with the price or the lack of goodies for veteran players.  They've been enjoying the game for almost 3 years now with the only cost being the initial price.  Expansions and the cash shop is how b2p games stay afloat after release.  Lowering the cost of entry for new players is a good thing, IMO, because it benefits the population as a whole.  Bringing in new players is the lifeblood of MMO's.  Anything you can do to encourage them to play is good for everyone, inc. veteran players.  If veteran players don't think the expansion is worth $50 then they can  either wait until it goes on sale or don't buy it at all.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Distopia

The only people who have to deal with anything, are those who have a problem with open discussion... You're gonna have to get used to reading stuff you don't agree with at some point, it's always going to be there. Getting angry about it will eventually become detrimental to your health. See that's the great thing about games, you don't have to deal with them.

lol....yep

this is open discussion. Same stupid arguments....same day. But you just keep on truckin...and I'll just keep laying common sense on your doorstep ;)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by cerulean2012

So old players should just give up on the hundreds of hours of play they already have.  They should not worry about the effort they put into getting all of the level 80s and getting them equipped up.  They should not worry about the time, effort, money it cost to get a legendary weapon for their character/s.

Makes perfect sense, throw away what you have done and already seen in the game.  Start new as if you never played before because bozos can't figure it out. 

Sorry, I am not going to re-buy then game just to get the expansion.  If the put just the expansion on sale for say 29.99, maybe just maybe 39.99 I will get it otherwise...they will not get my money any more.  Not for the expansion, not for gems not for anything!

Apparently you value the red bit at about $10-20.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

lol @ some comments. Dakeru is right to make this topic. GW2 previously listened as well and some other companies previously listened as well when the crowd was loud and internet helps yes.

they either have to listen to the crowd, or deliver one hell of an expansion to get away with this. this is not ANET's doing btw. sure they like money as well, but it's mainly NCSOFT cause Wildstar failed.

also those with the mindset of "can't leave my game after all the time i put on it" shouldn't play MMOs. it's called addiction and it's what WoW feeds on. you have to always let go of your game one day and your MMOs won't finish any time soon so don't bother to stay all the way to see the end of your journey (you can just come back when they give you the final content of their game) and don't be afraid to start over with another game.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    http://www.killtenrats.com/2015/06/18/gw2-lash-and-love/

It is sad to see a company just mismanage a product announcement like this. This is just face palm stuff.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

Vanilla WoW $49.99

3yr $14.99  $539.64

1st Xpac TBC $49.99 + $29.99 Base Game

Blizzard's marketing in 2007. Many of would rather go back here than be down there.

GW2 $69.99

3yr $0.00

1st Xpac Hot $49.99 + Free Base Game

Anet's marketing 2015. Rather than being here you would rather be up there.

HUGE FUCKING PROBLEM THERE!!

Vanilla WoW $49.99

3yr $14.99  $539.64

Blizzard's marketing in 2007. Many of would rather go back here than be down there.

GW2 $69.99

3yr $0.00

I think you're too hung up on the B2P model, it just seems like an agenda at this point. You realize Blizz gets some of the loudest complaints about their offerings right? Especially in regard to their frequency in updates and content additions. Because people expect it to be worth it. B2P isn't an explain all answer to value.

Vanilla WoW $49.99

3yr $14.99  $539.64

GW2 $69.99

3yr $0.00

I think you're too hung up on the B2P model, it just seems like an agenda at this point. You realize Blizz gets some of the loudest complaints about their offerings right? Especially in regard to their frequency in updates and content additions. Because people expect it to be worth it. B2P isn't an explain all answer to value.

ANY company with that kind of volume of customers will always get the loudest complaints.

Look at Comcast and Sprint as example. The list is pretty long.

Vanilla WoW $49.99

3yr $14.99  $539.64

GW2 $69.99

3yr $0.00

ANY company with that kind of volume of customers will always get the loudest complaints.

Look at Comcast and Sprint as example. The list is pretty long.

Can't say much about it, but I have first hand experience with that customer feedback in regard to both. It was because of their gouging. Just like it is with Blizz, or anyone else who does it. EA, SONY, UBI, etc... There's a reason other companies don't suffer the same ridicule. Paying it forward. It's all they can do. Sadly some realize PT was right and don't give a F^^^. I'm not saying Anet is underhanded, however, you can bet they're not going to use the arguments being used here to defend themselves.

Vanilla WoW $49.99

3yr $14.99  $539.64

GW2 $69.99

3yr $0.00

No need to be so angry and defensive.  While the price might be a little higher than some would hope, it's not too out of line IMO.  I think it's a good idea to bundle the base game into the expansion because it lowers the barrier of entry for new players.  More players is always good for an MMO.  The bigger issue is Arena Net's actions up to availability of the pre-orders.  Selling new players the game by hyping the expansion and then selling said expansion with the base game is very shady since they knew all along how their pricing was going to work. Instead of letting people know this early on, they seem to have decided to milk as much money out of base GW2 as they could.

Originally posted by Ginaz

Vanilla WoW $49.99

3yr $14.99  $539.64

GW2 $69.99

3yr $0.00

No need to be so angry and defensive.  While the price might be a little higher than some would hope, it's not too out of line IMO.  I think it's a good idea to bundle the base game into the expansion because it lowers the barrier of entry for new players.  More players is always good for an MMO.  The bigger issue is Arena Net's actions up to availability of the pre-orders.  Selling new players the game by hyping the expansion and then selling said expansion with the base game is very shady since they knew all along how their pricing was going to work. Instead of letting people know this early on, they seem to have decided to milk as much money out of base GW2 as they could.

Again as many have pointed out this is not the issue. Anet has stated that they will help anyone out who just bought the core game and would like to make the change to a HoT pre-purchase.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Let's try it like this. Don't buy the expansion. You can tell everybody how you're making a stand.  You can tell yourself about how you're making a difference in the world.  I'll play the game.  Neither of us will actually change the world.  I'll just enjoy my time not changing the world and you will do something else. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Vanilla WoW $49.99

3yr $14.99  $539.64

GW2 $69.99

3yr $0.00

I explained this a few posts up when you mentioned it. ANet has said they will refund a base game purchase if you want to exchange it for the expansion. They will make good on that. It's in the main bitch about the xpac thread in the official forums.

While that's good to hear, I don't think they would have done it if people hadn't complained.  If you feel something is wrong, don't listen to the raging fanboys and white knights who will tell you to shut up and take it.  Making your concerns known to the company, in a respectful manner, can achieve results.

Vanilla WoW $49.99

3yr $14.99  $539.64

GW2 $69.99

3yr $0.00

Again as many have pointed out this is not the issue. Anet has stated that they will help anyone out who just bought the core game and would like to make the change to a HoT pre-purchase.

Yes, but only because these "entitled" players didn't listen to people like you and took their concerns to the company instead of shutting up and taking it, which is what you and many others would have preferred them to do.

Let's try it like this. Don't buy the expansion. You can tell everybody how you're making a stand.  You can tell yourself about how you're making a difference in the world.  I'll play the game.  Neither of us will actually change the world.  I'll just enjoy my time not changing the world and you will do something else. 

That's actually pretty fucking hilarious!

There are not enough people in this world who try to change something - but since you mention it.. here is a nice link:

https://www.change.org/p/anet-add-one-character-slot-for-all-expansion-purchases-and-offer-a-standalone-hot-expansion-purchase-2b57d70e-fe5e-4ffa-844d-c487e154dc74#petition-letter

Harbinger of Fools
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

There are not enough people in this world who try to change something - but since you mention it.. here is a nice link:

https://www.change.org/p/anet-add-one-character-slot-for-all-expansion-purchases-and-offer-a-standalone-hot-expansion-purchase-2b57d70e-fe5e-4ffa-844d-c487e154dc74#petition-letter

So then $50 for the expansion and $20-30 for the game. The expansion comes with an extra character slot. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me - although it is far more expensive for new players. Would you think it was "fair" if new players then made a thread about how it costs $70+ just to start playing GW2? Would you think that those people had entitlement issues?