Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD LIVE STREAM ON 16TH WITH PRICES!!!

13»

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Not saying nVidia won't follow the lead (and they will), but nowadays, the main bottleneck in graphic cards for games is the memory bandwidth. All the special effects modern GPUs can provide require a lot of memory accesses.

So that is why GTX980 with 200GB/s beats R9 290x and 300GB/s memory bandwidth..?

The one that needs to catch up is AMD and finally release whole line of new chips, that fully support DX12. They are not doing much but recycling same technology with minor improvements over and over and over not to fall too much behind...same as FX story, CPUs that are non-competitive these days.

• TurtleDGr8TurtleDGr8 Member Posts: 58

I was hoping for more information on AMD's APUs.  DX12 and HBM seem like they would benefit the APU parts at least as much as the discrete GPU parts.  They didn't even mention the new laptop APU from what I could see.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

My next card will most likely be a Fury X with watercooling. They also revealed an even higher end model with two GPUs, but that's overkill unless you are gaming on a 6 screen wall.

What people need to realize is that AMD is on the right track here. Not saying nVidia won't follow the lead (and they will), but nowadays, the main bottleneck in graphic cards for games is the memory bandwidth. All the special effects modern GPUs can provide require a lot of memory accesses.

Now if nVidia catches up until I decide to upgrade, I'll get nVidia... but for now, my 290x is doing the job.

It isn't a case of catch up. Both brands next cards will use HBM2 instead of HBM that's on the Fury and both brands will have a die shrink which is the big leap forward.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_PicardAnd if you pretend they are "recycling same technology", you obviously know nothing about what we are talking about in this thread and are blinded by your brand loyalty.

I counter your comment on bandwidth limitation, you start talking prices....

Tell me more about being "blinded by your brand loyalty"....

Fury X is not AMD flagship...? The 300 series with top of the line R9 Fury is the "new generation", generation of re-brands, once again and again.

PS: Look up the price of R9 390x(exactly same card as R9 290x)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Not saying nVidia won't follow the lead (and they will), but nowadays, the main bottleneck in graphic cards for games is the memory bandwidth. All the special effects modern GPUs can provide require a lot of memory accesses.

So that is why GTX980 with 200GB/s beats R9 290x and 300GB/s memory bandwidth..?

The one that needs to catch up is AMD and finally release whole line of new chips, that fully support DX12. They are not doing much but recycling same technology with minor improvements over and over and over not to fall too much behind...same as FX story, CPUs that are non-competitive these days.

Quote from a comparison review of both models:
    "Most of the GTX 980 cards available range between £419 and £470, with some outliers that cost up to £527. AMD’s R9 290X generally costs between £257 and £283, with a few expensive models that range up to £395."

Price wise, AMD still wins, even if one generation behind for now, for an insignificant difference in performance.

And the Fury X is besting the Titan X for a fraction of the price... again... and it's not even the flagship of the new generation!

And if you pretend they are "recycling same technology", you obviously know nothing about what we are talking about in this thread and are blinded by your brand loyalty.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-r9-390x-gaming-8g-oc-review,1.html

Personally I find the R9-390X to be a little disapointing.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

390x is not the same as 290x, it has a really small boost, which makes it completely equal with 980 about 95% of the time in games for way less money :)

GlobalFoundries 28SHP enabled this small boost, cause it's better than the node 290x was made at TSMC

Originally posted by 13lake

390x is not the same as 290x, it has a really small boost, which makes it completely equal with 980 about 95% of the time in games for way less money :)

GlobalFoundries 28SHP enabled this small boost, cause it's better than the node 290x was made at TSMC

And that's the great thing about competition. The 390x is a year behind and has to sell at a lower price to break into the market and Nvidia will most likely have to lower the prices on the 980's to be competitive.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

http://techreport.com/news/28501/here-a-first-look-at-the-radeon-r9-fury-x-performance

I see that as convincing evidence that the Fury X has performance in the ballpark of a GTX Titan X and GTX 980 Ti.  I didn't say "faster than"; I said "in the same ballpark".  Of course AMD is going to pick relatively favorable results (that's why they went with 4K), but they don't have a history of grabbing extreme outliers and presenting them as typical.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by 13lake

The 390X is a respin, not a totally independent chip.  You don't switch foundries when you do a respin.  A respin does sometimes get you an extra 5% performance for free (see the transition from Trinity to Richland), but it can't perform miracles.  You may get larger gains if the original was seriously broken, as in the transition from the GeForce 400 series to the 500 series.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Something to bear in mind... the 390x benchmarks were done using the new drivers for them. Last night a modded version appeared on Guru3D that make them work with the 290x cards and people are seeing significant improvements to the point the 290x is now up at Titan X and 980ti levels in some games, basically a 10-20% boost depending on the game.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Few days left before official release, hope they deliver.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Wonder if Fury X beats my score at Unigine heaven DX 11 (probably fury x better with DX12)benchmark(no OC) 1755 points at 2560x1440p extreme ultra settings 8x AA fullscreen? CF 2X 290x?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Originally posted by Classicstar

Wonder if Fury X beats my score at Unigine heaven DX 11 (probably fury x better with DX12)benchmark(no OC) 1755 points at 2560x1440p extreme ultra settings 8x AA fullscreen? CF 2X 290x?

Unigine Haven 4 score at all maxed is 1104 @1440p and a 100Mhz overclock ups the score to 1159

Score seems pretty small cpu was 4770k, but as i wrote in other thread it has exactly the same fps as stock 980 Ti  in shadow of mordor 4k for instance.

Should be lots of info coming tomorrow as the press embargo lifts on the 24th

Healthy competition helps us all.

Originally posted by laserit

Should be lots of info coming tomorrow as the press embargo lifts on the 24th

Healthy competition helps us all.

check out the other amd dirt 12k post i posted all the info and some test results there