Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making Amends?

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Who cares what new players get or don't get.

Purchase WoD and all expansions are free up to MoP...no one gave a crap about that, but for some reason GW2 is an issue. If I had purchased WoW back in 2004 and hadn't touched it until the WoD expansion came out, the entire lot of expansions are given for free.

Lets say you had to purchase all of WoWs expansions as they were released for only $39.99, that is roughly $199.95. Why is everyone so worried about $49.99? They feel slighted because someone got a better deal? That is a terrible way to go through life imho. 

I've seen that argument a few times on the official forum and each time someone would answer that this simply isn't true.

Anyone who possessed the game got a free upgrade with all expansions excluding WoD.

Therefore they were rewarding their active player base.

Buying WoD had nothing to do with this.

Very weak argument and they are just twisting matters.

So, if this was the third, forth, or fifth GW2 expansion this would be an acceptable deal? In WoW you had to at least have had purchased the Base and then WoD, you can't just purchase the expansion, so what kind of reward is that to the player base?

Blizzard did the same thing just making it easier for new players, but even it still requires the basic purchase of WoW plus the expansion cost. 

Wait what?

You posted something where you are wrong and described things the opposite way of how they happened.

And now you say I have a weak argument?

Read it again. I said "they".

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Purchase WoD and all expansions are free up to MoP...no one gave a crap about that, but for some reason GW2 is an issue. If I had purchased WoW back in 2004 and hadn't touched it until the WoD expansion came out, the entire lot of expansions are given for free.

Lets say you had to purchase all of WoWs expansions as they were released for only $39.99, that is roughly $199.95. Why is everyone so worried about $49.99? They feel slighted because someone got a better deal? That is a terrible way to go through life imho. 

I've seen that argument a few times on the official forum and each time someone would answer that this simply isn't true.

Anyone who possessed the game got a free upgrade with all expansions excluding WoD.

So, if this was the third, forth, or fifth GW2 expansion this would be an acceptable deal? In WoW you had to at least have had purchased the Base and then WoD, you can't just purchase the expansion, so what kind of reward is that to the player base?

Blizzard did the same thing just making it easier for new players, but even it still requires the basic purchase of WoW plus the expansion cost. 

Wait what?

You posted something where you are wrong and described things the opposite way of how they happened.

I'm pretty sure when you bought the original game at some point and got almost all expansions for free then there is nothing to twist about it.

Except for when someone  tries to make it look like it was a bonus for buying the latest expansion...

Harbinger of Fools
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Wait what?

I'm pretty sure when you bought the original game at some point and got almost all expansions for free then there is nothing to twist about it.

Except for when someone  tries to make it look like it was a bonus for buying the latest expansion...

Nah, you are just arguing to argue now. It's $50 for the expansion. nuff said. Have a good day.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    ^Why...this thread?

Because the shitstorm is so big that Anet may reconsider?

It's a shitstorm by people that live on making shitstorms....if they reconsider...they are weak. The shitstorm will always be there/here. And will always be freakin stupid

As well they SHOULD be ,unless you just enjoy being stepped on ,walked over,taken advantage of?

Every single gamer in every single game,should be concerned about not only the game they play but the developer they support.As to the claim their rep made,it is not all factual or even the truth,they have agenda's and they have a pecking order,if something is a concern but not as important to THEM "not YOU"they will put it on hold.Example and developer working on their next expansion dead line,will put that first and ALL complaints second.Then  if one doesn't believe me or doesn't pay attention,just look at what Zeni said about TESO,everything on PC version on hold until the console version is ready.

There is of course always nonsense complaints in every game,USUALLY it is players that want their favorite class to be the best in game and NOT looking out for the best overall interest of the game.However there are also times when concerns and complaints SHOULD be made.

If  it were left up to the PASSIVE gamer,all of these games  would be worse off,less effort,crappier gaming on a whole  because if a developer could sell you crap and walk all over you,they WILL.It is the aggressive CONCERNED gamer's that deserve recognition for at  least making an effort to let developers know there is a problem.It is like cheating and hacking in games,if nobody complains the developer wouldn't give two cahoots either,they would rather be passive and LAZY than fix their games or respond to complaints.

It is no longer a time when we can rely on the media/press to keep developers in order because 99% of them are all making money off of these developers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FauztFauzt Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Well all I can say is people with the thinking of the fact that prices should be different, obviously haven't played EQ2, seeing as how with each of their expansions you get all previous ones.  You either want the expansion or don't.  If you do, you're willing to pay for it.  Deal with it
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Im kinda new to this argument, and only skimmed the thread here, so I apologize in advance if I seem niave to the issue. Im just not seeing anything here that I can understand. Let me see if I can summarize, it seems people think the expansion should be free. End of story. Since when in the history of MMOs do expansions come free? Are you new to MMOs?

Everything from Everquest (1 or 2) and even the "GOD" WoW you have to pay for expansions. And the newest expansion includes the whole game up to that point. This isnt a new concept, in fact its the oldest of MMO concepts. The earlier you buy in, the more you pay, but the tradeoff is that all those years you are playing the game the "new" player isnt. Guild Wars is just doing the same thing everyone else has always done, its an industry standard at this point. WTF are you crying about?

Sure a new player gets the game included with the expansion, but that new player hasnt been playing for the last 3 years, you have. So you paid for the last 3 years of game time, now its time to fork up money for the next 3. Maybe in 3 more years there will be another expack and you and the HoT "new player" will pay for it, but anyone starting the game then will only have to pay for that one. See how this works?

At least its not Everquest, you had to pay every single year, plus sub fees the rest of the year. Even WoW had an expansion to buy every other year with sub fees. Hell even GW1 you had to pay the expansions. Why the hell would anyone think GW2 expansion would be free? Talk about entitlement, I seriously dont get this argument. Has to be the dumbest thing and theres no way Anet gives in, they deserve to charge for HoT. If you dont like it, they dont need you. Have a nice day. But everyone else will gladly fork up the money to support a wonderful dev team and a great game. 

• Safo31Safo31 Member Posts: 5

There is no end to people who think they argue reason when they in fact argue based on ignorance. 

I am talking about you people who think people are wrong in voicing their opinion on ANets choice of marketing/sales strategy. 

I'll try to make this more easy for you to understand.

When buying GW2 Standard, at this moment selling at $50, you get the choice of adding the serial to an existing account thus unlocking access to elite specs., guild halls, and 3 new zones. Or you can choose to start a fresh account with 5 empty character slots, redo one-time rewards, plus access to the expansion. At this point the latter is the more economically justified choice as it provides more "value" than the first. Why? Well, your enjoyment of the new maps should be the same, you get the possibility of creating 5 new characters, and you get to redo onetime rewards like achievements (which can provide some valuable loot). This is like encouraging existing users to start fresh, which isn't actually what ANet wants.

"Why is that?" You ask. Well seeing that the price of the expansion is $50 this means the "account" added to this purchase is free. However, accounts cost money for ANet. Accounts take up physical space on their servers meaning that the more new players who come in the more server space they have to rent. How are they financing this? Well seeing that the price of the expansion is $50 and only new players are a variable cost to ANet they have to finance the new players through the price somehow. The math is actually quite simple. For every existing user upgrading an existing account to HoT they free up 1 account space that would have come with their purchase thus letting 1 new player create an account at no added cost to ANet. 

So, existing players are paying for new players to set up free accounts, and this doesn't sit well with existing players. They pay $50 to get HoT on existing accounts gaining nothing else, while others can pay $50 and get HoT plus a new account. This is not entitlement, it is decrying a payment scheme you don't agree with. Hopefully the same people who cry foul also decide to vote with their wallets else their voice holds no weight. Similarly those who vote only with their wallet will not let ANet know why exactly they aren't buying. In this case voting with both wallet and voice is important so ANet knows how they can improve in order to regain a customer.

Got it now? 

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

Just because the expansion price model have been done before, dont mean it is the right way. To times wrong dont make right.

This is similar to the pink dolphin that was given(high chance) to returning Archage players, while active players got nothing.

After uproar Trion had to compensate active players.

@Safo31

I don't mean to criticize someone who is technically on the same side as me but I am not sure if it's really like that..

Anyway as general input on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUtMGS3ezLI

Usually I don't watch youtubers but even I had heard of WoodenPotatoes of course and he is making some balanced points here.

In short he says that the issue isn't so much whether or not new players get the full game for free but rather that 50$ is a very steep price and people are wondering if it's worth it.

The way I interprete him, he blames Anet for first starting the pre-purchase without actually telling us what HoT includes because what they showed us so far doesn't yet justify the price of a full new game.

Lastly I  stand corrected - there aren't 2500 angry posts about this on reddit - the thread got a rating of 2500+ which seems to be a big deal on there.

I hadn't been having a serious look at reddit before so I didn't know about the rating mechanics - my bad.

Harbinger of Fools
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

@Safo31

I don't mean to criticize someone who is technically on the same side as me but I am not sure if it's really like that..

Usually I don't watch youtubers but even I had heard of WoodenPotatoes of course and he is making some balanced points here.

In short he says that the issue isn't so much whether or not new players get the full game for free but rather that 50$ is a very steep price and people are wondering if it's worth it.

The way I interprete him, he blames Anet for first starting the pre-purchase without actually telling us what HoT includes because what they showed us so far doesn't yet justify the price of a full new game.

Lastly I  stand corrected - there aren't 2500 angry posts about this on reddit - the thread got a rating of 2500+ which seems to be a big deal on there.

I hadn't been having a serious look at reddit before so I didn't know about the rating mechanics - my bad.

So whats your remedy. Are you fine if they just dont give the base game out free and charge new people the same 50$ for the expansion and 10$ for the base game?
    Originally posted by st4t1ck
    So whats your remedy. Are you fine if they just dont give the base game out free and charge new people the same 50$ for the expansion and 10$ for the base game?

I strongly believe that Anet will not lower the price but add a free character slot for the revenant.

This doesn't make it that much better of a deal but it will be a sign of good will and I believe that I and many others will accept it.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

You need to spend $15 to actually play the upgrade.

They aren't exactly giving something for free either.

You mean in order to play WoW you need to pay a subscription?

I had no idea!

Blizzard was not rewarding their active player base as you wrongly stated.

My (4 years of no activity) WoW cataclysm account got upgraded (hooray, still not touching it), my second wow account was upgraded from burning crusade to MoP, a new bought WoW serial bought for a bargain bin also got the same upgrade. 

Someone that just had upgraded from Cataclysm to MoP got nothing.

Very similar situation to Anet just giving GW2 core for free to players buying GW2:HoT.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

@Safo31

That is what I said is a fair point - GW2:HoT base edition is expensive.

The other thing of "other people getting a better deal" is a similar complain we had about Anet charging 200 gems for Living Story chapter for players that missed it or joined the game after the fact.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Safo31Safo31 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by st4t1ck

@Safo31

@St4t1ck: Yes, this would actually be fair. I wouldn't say it's a good solution at this point, but it is a fair solution. ANet should let players decide whom they are being charitable to. 

@Dakeru: Whether the price is too high or too low is an entirely subjective point. Sure, you can argue that the price is to high, but that doesn't make it a fact others have to agree to. What I was outlining was the reason behind the $50 price, and the reason you as an existing player you do not get an upgrade to HoT and an extra account. One can argue what's the best solution and so on, but that is essentially pointless. The point is that ANet has: 1. used bait-switch tactics to lure customers into buying something they could very well wait with buying. 2. Decided that all existing players who wants to pre-purchase the expansion to upgrade their accounts be part of involuntary charity (it's not really a 1 for 1 trade here, but for every upgrade they sell they lower their loss on giving away accounts for "free").

Again, whether the price justifies the expansion or not is entirely subjective and can be debated at length without anyone reaching an objective conclusion. The marketing direction ANet took with the current bundle is outright scamming on one hand, while extremely one-sided on the other.

Edit @St4t1ck: If you care for my suggestion to ANet. At this point the best they can do to salvage is to give players who upgraded their accounts an extra 800 gems = $10. In the future I'd suggest they think twice before making existing players absorb "new player" acquisition costs when buying future content. It is inevitable that existing players will in some way contribute to the lowered paywall for new players, but such a direct 1 for 1 situation as this expansion bundle is plain distasteful. Not only that, but many existing players are faced with having to buy an extra character slot on top to be able to fully "enjoy" the expansion. If existing players buy the expansion now it is in many ways better to just set up a new account, at least then you get to enjoy the full value of the bundle. 

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I dont have any problem with the packages if I knew what the heck HoT brings, so far the video does not explain what HoT is all about.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Yes I am throwing in the generalization card because that's what people seem to do on the Heart of Robbery thread nonstop.

Entitlement Entitlement Entitlement

If a new player pays 50$ and gets GW2 and HoT as bundle then I am entitled to the same. Same price - same product.

It's as easy as that.

Hi. I am the guy throwing "entitlement" around and I just thought I would show you what you missed.

Thanks for listening and helping me prove my point

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Basically sums it up; 
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Yes I am throwing in the generalization card because that's what people seem to do on the Heart of Robbery thread nonstop.

If a new player pays 50$ and gets GW2 and HoT as bundle then I am entitled to the same. Same price - same product.

It's as easy as that.

Hi. I am the guy throwing "entitlement" around and I just thought I would show you what you missed.

You are right.

I am entitled to get the same deal as everyone else.

Actually it is really funny that you point out that I want the same as everyone else.

I don't want anything better or feel like I should get free stuff or anything like that.

I just want the same.. 

Harbinger of Fools
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

It's as easy as that.

You are right.

Actually it is really funny that you point out that I want the same as everyone else.

I don't want anything better or feel like I should get free stuff or anything like that.

I just want the same.. 

Buy the Xpac, start from scratch with a new account and..... drum..... roll......

You get the same.

Sorry I just had to do it. image

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It's as easy as that.

You are right.

I just want the same.. 

Except that you are not entitled to it. They are offering 3 packs. Pick one or don't. Your account is not entitled to the same value as a new account. Just saying you are entitled to the same as someone else because you said so is exactly what expresses your entitlement issues.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

It's as easy as that.

You are right.

I just want the same.. 

You DO get the same deal, unless you don't buy the expansion. Then you rake in a steal of a deal with absolutely no cost up front, you can continue to play the old version without any of the new stuff! For absolutely no cost whatsoever, you get to continue to do the exact same things again! What a bargain, and that bargain is for YOU!

However, if you do choose to pay, then you don't get to take advantage of that special offer.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

However, if you do choose to pay, then you don't get to take advantage of that special offer.

And how is that the same then?

Harbinger of Fools
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Oh come on Dakeru!! Is it really that hard for you?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

Oh come on Dakeru!! Is it really that hard for you?

Apparently it is, enlighten me how I get the same value for my 50$ as everyone else.

Harbinger of Fools
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

if only people value more their money and eat less cr%p from developers. We would have better quality products, less dlcs and more content in games as they are.

You dont get it do you? You get less for the same money. Should I make it a picture or it is simple math enough:

new players: original game + expansion = 50

old players: expansion = 50

What is so hard to understand?

It is easy then.

Old players should abandon their old account, that already paid for itself and get a brand new account with the original game + expansion for $50.

There same value.

Why do old players insist in upgrading their old account instead of getting more value?

So old players should just give up on the hundreds of hours of play they already have.  They should not worry about the effort they put into getting all of the level 80s and getting them equipped up.  They should not worry about the time, effort, money it cost to get a legendary weapon for their character/s.

Makes perfect sense, throw away what you have done and already seen in the game.  Start new as if you never played before because bozos can't figure it out. 

Sorry, I am not going to re-buy then game just to get the expansion.  If the put just the expansion on sale for say 29.99, maybe just maybe 39.99 I will get it otherwise...they will not get my money any more.  Not for the expansion, not for gems not for anything!