Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 Years from now, will there be more or fewer MMO players?

2»

Comments

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

Voted for more people will play.

Reason:

MMOs are no longer played on personal computers only. With titles such as Destiny or ESO: Tamriel Unlimited the genre has expanded and is now available for the largest gaming market available, console gamers. Logical conclusion: The amount of MMO players will rise.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

On PC i think it depends on how technology progresses. If VR like Oculus Rift takes off and keeps innovating i'd imagine there will be an explosion of new MMO gamers. If VR flops i think the numbers will continue to decline.

On Consoles MMO's are relatively new, or should i say only becoming more common now. Their numbers will probably keep increasing for a good number of years regardless off VR.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Whether there are more or less MMO players 10 years from now really is entirely dependent on the number and quality of MMO's that are present 10 years from now, if there are more good MMO's out, then there will be more players, if there isn't then there won't be. Its pretty much a zero sum argument.image
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    I wonder if the MMO market will even still exist as it does now. I think there will be more, smaller niche games. I doubt there will be large Jack-of-all-trade WOW-esque games relying on a large, active playerbase.  
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Depends on how many times people change the meaning of "MMO"

I predict less.

I also predict that in 10 years, you create a character that is automatically maxed level, fully geared, 200 abilities that all do the same thing, just different animations. Oh, and can't leave the lobby/hub city, since there is no reason to and nothing is beyond the city walls anyways.

Oh and I WILL necro this in 2025 (if WW3 didn't start by then).

If in 10 years most MMOs are still level-based, gear dependent EQ/WOW clones, then I agree, there will definitely be less people playing them. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Here is a better question....

How many people will be playing an ACTUAL MMO in 10 years? The majority of "mmo" players or barely any? 

I vote barely any.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I am almost 100% there will be more MMO players.

Now I'm projecting this from games that are called MMO already today many of which feel they do not belong in the MMO genre. But dispite that they are still being called MMO....

Ten years from now I sure tech keeps evolving giving developers better tools, I even feel which we already are seeing today that many if not most current type of singleplayer genre's would be online aswell in 10 years.

My only fear of that future is perhaps the disappearance of singleplayer games. I have not changed much in my gaming hobby, I still love singleplayer games, love multiplayer or co-op games, have a sweet spot for MMORPG but have lost a little bit of love for the genre. But each type of genre gives me a different satisfaction from playing. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Phry
    Whether there are more or less MMO players 10 years from now really is entirely dependent on the number and quality of MMO's that are present 10 years from now, if there are more good MMO's out, then there will be more players, if there isn't then there won't be. Its pretty much a zero sum argument.image

Also depends on future technology.  If full MMO's are ported to smart phones, tablets, and wearable computers you may be able to play WoW while walking down the street by then. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MorrowGamingMorrowGaming Member CommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by Fingz

Time for your predictions, ten years from now will there be more people playing MMOs, fewer people playing MMOs or will it stay roughly the same? Please explain your reasoning.

Possible reasons are competition from other games, MMOs getting better, etc. Many games are going f2p, some are shutting down. or people have more time on their hands, etc.

Hard to predict, I'd say at the current time that less people will be playing mmorpgs. With the rise of the Moba and the seriously poor quality mmo's we are currently getting right now it seems like the only answer. But who knows maybe there is a Dev out their that is going to make a game actually work playing for more than a few months.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

More, because there will be more and more MMOs for mobile devices and consoles. It's uncertain whether playing an MMORPG with a PC will gain or lose popularity, but since the question wasn't just about PC and it was about all MMOs, there will definitely be more players 10 years from now.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

Voted more.  Primarily because the definition of MMO as used by mass-media is expanding.

When we see articles like "MOBAs are the fastest growing segment of the MMO genre*", it's safe to assume that their understanding of MMO is significantly more loose than the common understanding of the term 10 years ago.

Who knows what the term will mean 10 years from now.

* paraphrased from memory.  I might be slightly off, but that's close.

I was going to write the exact same thing. Fully agree.

What was considered an mmo a few years ago might very well be drastically different in 10 years.

MOBAs were one reason why I thought it would be lower.  I was thinking that it would siphon off MMO players.  Guess I'm outdated and still consider them separate. 

I self identify as a monkey.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Depends how successful VR is. WoW was too far ahead of it's time. Player standards are too high now and the genre will fester and bleed for years to come as result.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990

Todays MMO's are already not truly MMO's to those of us who started playing with the likes of AC and DAOC. In another 10 years those who think GW2 and the like is a MMO will not think there are any MMOs left either.

The genre is changing, more than any other in gaming. FPS is still FPS; if you can find an adventure game, no one would say the new ones are not adventure games etc. And with the likes of MOBA's, the MMO genre is heading for even more dumbing down.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Scot

Todays MMO's are already not truly MMO's to those of us who started playing with the likes of AC and DAOC. In another 10 years those who think GW2 and the like is a MMO will not think there are any MMOs left either.

The genre is changing, more than any other in gaming. FPS is still FPS; if you can find an adventure game, no one would say the new ones are not adventure games etc. And with the likes of MOBA's, the MMO genre is heading for even more dumbing down.

Are you implying MOBA's are dumbed down variations of MMORPG's?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• lobotarulobotaru Member UncommonPosts: 165
    This depends entirely on whether developers move away from the current MMORPG model. Social gaming has a negative stigma because of how MMORPG mechanics strongly encourage players to act in antisocial ways while in their virtual worlds. Until they move away from systems that encourage finger pointing over team responsibility, it will continue to decline. We have some nice MMOs out there, but MMORPGs in particular are stuck fast in decade old mud. 
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Inevitable slow attrition due to the post-40s dying of heart attacks and such, promoted by their generally sedentary hobbies.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Have no doubt that OVERALL more players will play. This thanks to zillion of free MMO games I would never touch not even with stick. But so many players do not care not even minimally for quality, all that matters for them is that glorious "free to play". Which is mith, but they are happy.
  • TurtleDGr8TurtleDGr8 Member Posts: 58

Far more MMO players, but far fewer people identifying themselves as MMO players.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    More MMO players, fewer MMORPG players.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I was online playing EQ1 when they announced server wide they had broken a world record of 500'000 players subbed and online in one game. Now WoW sports millions. Now we have niche games that capture 200-500k players all over the place and tones of MMOs coming out that do the same thing. MMOs market has never been so healthy. Then you take into account the world population keeps going up and more and more of the world is getting online. MMOs have no where to go but grow. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Scot

Are you implying MOBA's are dumbed down variations of MMORPG's?

In a sense yes. Because games like MOBA's were seen has having potential because of the success MMOs had. Only having played Marvel Heroes you can see some MMO elements like a meeting hub in the Avengers Tower.

To a gaming company you are a consumer. We will make something smaller, cheaper. You have an avatar, you can PvP, you level up. MMO players were clearly in their mind as potential MOBA players. They are even being put in the same category by the industry, that shows their view, even if it is not ours.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Depends on how many times people change the meaning of "MMO"

I predict less.

I also predict that in 10 years, you create a character that is automatically maxed level, fully geared, 200 abilities that all do the same thing, just different animations. Oh, and can't leave the lobby/hub city, since there is no reason to and nothing is beyond the city walls anyways.

Oh and I WILL necro this in 2025 (if WW3 didn't start by then).

If in 10 years most MMOs are still level-based, gear dependent EQ/WOW clones, then I agree, there will definitely be less people playing them. 

I think it is important to understand the games market a living moving thing. In 10 years, of course there will be players who are done with MMOs due to having played these games for lets say 10 years. On the other hand a new generation of customers grows up and the MMO thing is totally new to them.

Bottomline: Your experience related to MMOs is not the market. You are just a small "slice" of the MMO market and if you decide to move on, other "slices" join the cake.