Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KOTFE - is it SWTOR´s Cataclysm??

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Could someone please shed a light on this, the new expansion plays 10 years later and everything changes, even the factions will be gone.

Does that mean even if I start a lvl1 in the future, the planets will all be changed, quests gone and replaced etc.?

Or will players above lvl 60 travel to the same planets but as phased versions, reflecting the 10 years that have passed and with different quests on it?

I´d much prefer if it would be the latter because it would just make more sense for future new characters.

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Could someone please shed a light on this, the new expansion plays 10 years later and everything changes, even the factions will be gone.

Does that mean even if I start a lvl1 in the future, the planets will all be changed, quests gone and replaced etc.?

Or will players above lvl 60 travel to the same planets but as phased versions, reflecting the 10 years that have passed and with different quests on it?

I´d much prefer if it would be the latter because it would just make more sense for future new characters.

I don't know the answer to your question for sure but I just don't see them rebuilding the 1-60 experience from scratch at this point.  Most likely there will be a disconnect between what you see in the old zones and new zones.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

It's basically 2 games now.

The 1-60 content will stay but will be "streamlined" whatever that means and that will be that whole story. Once the xpac launches you can either take a toon 1-60 in classic SWTOR, then get frozen in carbonite for 10 years, then start the 2nd story with that toon or just start a toon at 60.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by udon

I don't know the answer to your question for sure but I just don't see them rebuilding the 1-60 experience from scratch at this point.  Most likely there will be a disconnect between what you see in the old zones and new zones.

not really a need to rebuild it if you phase in at lvl 60 to any planet, just removing the quest givers, put some different flags here and there, some changes in the planet (destruction?) and removing faction specific mobs would do fine.

Basically an empty stage to put future content on (e.g. Tattooine) - no lvl 60 needs the low level trash mobs anyway, hence the "phase" question. I could imagine that you phase in a different version of Tattooine that is basically "de-factioned", just with higher level sand people and beast on etc.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

I expect points of interest and back-story to align with the movies. Like SWG when they added Mustafar and OWK Glowie in the NGE.

Don't forget a speeder in cash shop from the movie and armor/weapons (yes, I know it's 3000 years prior to the movies, like they care).

Wait, is this the NGE again?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by udon

not really a need to rebuild it if you phase in at lvl 60 to any planet, just removing the quest givers, put some different flags here and there, some changes in the planet (destruction?) and removing faction specific mobs would do fine.

Basically an empty stage to put future content on (e.g. Tattooine) - no lvl 60 needs the low level trash mobs anyway, hence the "phase" question. I could imagine that you phase in a different version of Tattooine that is basically "de-factioned", just with higher level sand people and beast on etc.

Can their engine even handle phasing?  I don't recall seeing it before.  My guess is that it's easier just to send characters that have done the kotfe intro to a completely different map when they disembark on most planets, the bones of which will likely have just been copied from the old zones.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by reeereee

Can their engine even handle phasing?  I don't recall seeing it before.  

Phasing is used every time you go through a green "forcewall" to access story content and some (especially for class quest givers) change over time when you return to them.

No idea if their server tech support full zone phasing though.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

Well...let's put it this way..You know how we defeated Revan at the end of the Revan storyline...and how that gets turned into a weekly after that? And how it didn't change anything else??

This "expansion" is not going to change anything...When you go back to planets...it's going to be the same.

You really think they would change the maps? Or that they could actually do that with the shit engine they got?

In other words prepare to be disappointed, because if I'm wrong then  that moment will be that much better, I mean in that they actually managed to change environments. 

Or that I was wrong , which ever way you want to look at it. ^^

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by orionblack

Well...let's put it this way..You know how we defeated Revan at the end of the Revan storyline...and how that gets turned into a weekly after that? And how it didn't change anything else??

This "expansion" is not going to change anything...When you go back to planets...it's going to be the same.

You really think they would change the maps? Or that they could actually do that with the shit engine they got?

In other words prepare to be disappointed, because if I'm wrong then  that moment will be that much better, I mean in that they actually managed to change environments. 

Or that I was wrong , which ever way you want to look at it. ^^

that'd be the laziest immersion breaking thing ever.

if they don't change the old planets at all, or at least make a second copy of all planets with slight changes for 60+ players, it would mean time travel just got real in Star Wars and our class ships are time machines that can go 10 years back and forth!

• DeskjetDeskjet Member UncommonPosts: 20

If nothing else they already make heavy use of planet instances.

So they could probalby touch up a planet and load people that have progressed through to the expansion into the changed version by default, while they load lowbie into the old version.

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

WoW doesn't bother to remove or reconcile the many instances of Garrosh in the open world between the various expansions, so I wouldn't expect SWOTR to either. If you choose to do things out of order, that is your prerogative as a player. As it is, look at what order you can do stuff involving Revan today

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Deskjet

So they could probalby touch up a planet and load people that have progressed through to the expansion into the changed version by default, while they load lowbie into the old version.

exactly this!!

Imagine, they could even crank up all former non-faction low level mobs like sandpeople up to level 60 on Tatooine making it fun again to do something there at max lvl.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

They did it with Ziost, the planet change when you advance into de story. Maybe was a test?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They're turning 8 personal stories into one.  Looks like they're going to make it as easy as possible to do the continued chapters so people stay subscribed.  They will probably only change as little as possible.  I wouldn't be surprised if each chapter is only on one or two planets with one high level zone added on each for the new stories. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ManezaoManezao Member UncommonPosts: 24

If i use a referall ink....

ill become SUB for 7 days right???

then ill become elegibe for the EXP right???

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    They're turning 8 personal stories into one.  Looks like they're going to make it as easy as possible to do the continued chapters so people stay subscribed.  They will probably only change as little as possible.  I wouldn't be surprised if each chapter is only on one or two planets with one high level zone added on each for the new stories. 

Are they dumbing down questing from lvl 1 to whatever level cap there is now?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Manezao

Only if you're a previous subscriber (or preferred account). Free to play accounts get different rewards (AKA no 7 days of sub time.)

You can check the things you get here: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

But even then I'm not sure whether the 12x xp will work for seven days or not. (I've heard conflicting things about it.)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

Are they dumbing down questing from lvl 1 to whatever level cap there is now?

In all likelihood they are changing the rewards so you don't have to bother with anything beyond your class story. (The extremely long 12x xp period is hinting towards that IMO)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Only if you're a previous subscriber (or preferred account). Free to play accounts get different rewards (AKA no 7 days of sub time.)

But even then I'm not sure whether the 12x xp will work for seven days or not. (I've heard conflicting things about it.)

im preferred account

so if i use your referral link....

ill get EXP right....???

that´s my doubt

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

exactly this!!

Imagine, they could even crank up all former non-faction low level mobs like sandpeople up to level 60 on Tatooine making it fun again to do something there at max lvl.

I suspect some form of this will occur.  Though I can't imagine they'll do this to every single planet, as that's a pretty tall order.  Cat was a full "give us 40 bucks" expansion, where this will be free to all subscribers.

With planets like Belsavis built in a state of constant fighting, they'd have to do massive changes to art and mob placement to show the whole thing 10(or whenever) years later.

In contrast, Tat will be easy; not much change there; they could probably flip the mobs to 60, do some minor things in the cities and they're set.

I would like to see the planets repurposed for max level, though.  One of the biggest weaknesses of the game is the lack of need to return to most of the planets, save for the occasional companion/special mission.  This isn't a unique problem to SWTOR, but it would be a good one to get rid of.

im preferred account

ill get EXP right....???

that´s my doubt

Unfortunately I don't know. Some claim that it works, while others say the 12x xp bonus is only for actual subscribers.

If you decide to try, let me know if it actually works or not. image

im preferred account

ill get EXP right....???

that´s my doubt

Unfortunately I don't know. Some claim that it works, while others say the 12x xp bonus is only for actual subscribers.

If you decide to try, let me know if it actually works or not. image

i think Im not elegibe yet......

but ill try