Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having such a good time being back on Ragefire

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Seriously, it's the perfect hybrid of modern and old for me at this point in my life. The levelling rate is perfect and i am loving the instancing of zones so that it's easy to play where you want when you want. For a play to achieve type like me, that prefers to go out there and win loot over paying for it, being able to get groups constantly where I want to be is awesome.

The only fly in the ointment are the boxers, but the instancing even makes these somewhat bearable. It would be better if they weren't allowed, but it is what it is and it ain't gonna change.

So, yeah, just a post to share the pleasure that this server has been to me over the past month. 

A big shout out to the folks that have respected my camps (even several TL members, who have actually been good to me when I have run into them) and been in my PUGs. The guys and gals who have helped me when they didn't need to, my great guild who have been so supportive and just good company, and folks that have been my friends list companions since L10 in CB.

It's been great to be back :)

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Thanks DM :)

It's why I have stopped posting here so much tbh... I had kind of given up on MMOPRPGs as being a thing that was aimed at me anymore.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Sounds like a total abomination, but its cool you are having fun.  To me sounds like they'd have done much better releasing a few more servers.  Consolidating later is less of an issue than mashing too many players into a world meant to accommodate less.

Originally posted by Dullahan
    Sounds like a total abomination, but its cool you are having fun.  To me sounds like they'd have done much better releasing a few more servers.  Consolidating later is less of an issue than mashing too many players into a world meant to accommodate less.

No, they made the right choice.

Phasing was a far more practical and sensible decision for the long term game than having 3 servers or whatever and then merging down the line.

The classic world is indeed meant for less, but the instancing obviously solves that.

Originally posted by Vesavius

Phasing was a far more practical and sensible decision for the long term game than having 3 servers or whatever and then merging down the line.

The classic world is indeed meant for less, but the instancing obviously solves that.

Except that with twice the number of people, you lose the familiarity with people that you'd have with the appropriate amount.  Half the fun of classic EQ was the fact that you knew, had heard of, or seen almost everyone at some point.  People had reputations and that accountability was a huge part of what made the community amazing.  Sorry, without that its just not the same game.

Except that with twice the number of people, you lose the familiarity with people that you'd have with the appropriate amount.  Half the fun of classic EQ was the fact that you knew, had heard of, or seen almost everyone at some point.  People had reputations and that accountability was a huge part of what made the community amazing.  Sorry, without that its just not the same game.

Actually hasn't worked like that Dul.

I see the same people again and again in the zones I have level through, and my friends list ensures I see the ones that I enjoyed again anyhow.

I get what you're saying in theory, but I am talking from practical experience with EQ as it stands here and phasing. It works and has zero negative impact on community.

Reputation matters on the server as much as it ever has.

Actually hasn't worked like that Dul.

I see the same people again and again in the zones I have level through, and my friends list ensures I see the ones that I enjoyed again anyhow.

I get what you're saying in theory, but I am talking from practical experience with EQ as it stands here and phasing. It works and has zero negative impact on community.

Reputation matters on the server as much as it ever has.

Well that is good to hear, and if that is the case, it simply means there are less concurrent players than I thought.  

My statement is definitely not a theory though.  Its a reality in every game with that sort of megaserver type technology.  You see people once, and often never see them again.  People can do and say what they want without any accountability whatsoever.

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Daybreak really needs to go ahead and instance the raid bosses. As it stands, one person can take out any raid target with his/her box army. So you have a server with thousands of people on it and literally a hand full of players can conttrol all of the raid mobs and named camps. To make it worse, some of the raid mobs have extremely long repops, which is why in the past guilds took rotations. Now days one guy can warp his bot army straight to the dragon and kill it while the rotation guild has to watch. I hate to see the game has devolved into this madness but the Everquest forums are pretty entertaining. 

Well that is good to hear, and if that is the case, it simply means there are less concurrent players than I thought.  

There are enough concurrent players to spawn 7 or so phases of a LOT of zones. How many do you need?

LJ is doing ok as well by all accounts.

Cannot we just be happy for the success instead of finding reasons to be cynical?

My statement is definitely not a theory though.  Its a reality in every game with that sort of megaserver type technology.  You see people once, and often never see them again.  People can do and say what they want without any accountability whatsoever.

Except your 'reality' is just not the reality I am seeing in game as a current player. And seeing as I am the one actually playing...

You are wrong in this case. Log into the game and play a bit and then maybe we can have an equal discussion about the server and how it's working.

Originally posted by damond5031
    Daybreak really needs to go ahead and instance the raid bosses. As it stands, one person can take out any raid target with his/her box army. So you have a server with thousands of people on it and literally a hand full of players can conttrol all of the raid mobs and named camps. To make it worse, some of the raid mobs have extremely long repops, which is why in the past guilds took rotations. Now days one guy can warp his bot army straight to the dragon and kill it while the rotation guild has to watch. I hate to see the game has devolved into this madness but the Everquest forums are pretty entertaining. 

There is a big patch dropping tommorrow. We shall see what they do... I know this is on their radar.

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445

There is a big patch dropping tommorrow. We shall see what they do... I know this is on their radar.

As soon as they get all this worked out, I will be subbing. Daybreak seems to be listening to the players and trying to give them what they want with the resources available. EQ2 is also getting classic servers = AWESOME!!

As soon as they get all this worked out, I will be subbing. Daybreak seems to be listening to the players and trying to give them what they want with the resources available. EQ2 is also getting classic servers = AWESOME!!

Best part of it is that All Access covers both so I can roll a char on the EQ2 server and see how it is. I am invested in EQ obviously right now, but I do have a soft spot for EQ2 and would like a good old run around :)

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Instancing was great move by Daybreak, it has really made classic tolerable to play. There is still competition on the good camps, but it is not impossible to get a spot like it was on previous progression servers. I hunted the cyclops in oot the last few days, and with 4 instances up on Lockjaw, there were actually mobs to kill if you choose the less crowded instance.

Classic is still a tiny place, but much more fun now, but after 3 weeks I am kindda done with it.. just looking forward to kunark and hopefully more expansions to come faster than the silly 6 month timelock.

Well I am one of those who prefer most of the new features over oldschool p99 style eq, with some exceptions..namely revamped zones and op mage pets that really mess with the general eq game experience. I like origin, I like the newer client with loads of great features, I like actually kiting stuff because dots count fully, improved healing that makes druid and shaman valid as healers, shared bank.. All the stuff that oldschoolers hate :D but for me these things doesn't ruin the eq experience, it only improves it.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    An "old school" player like a game that is old school, good to know. If you did not identify yourself as old school, I would not get this weird vibe.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Originally posted by strawhat0981
    An "old school" player like a game that is old school, good to know. If you did not identify yourself as old school, I would not get this weird vibe.

That same reasoning would make you 'elite'.

But I doubt that somehow.

Originally posted by kjempff

Instancing was great move by Daybreak, it has really made classic tolerable to play. There is still competition on the good camps, but it is not impossible to get a spot like it was on previous progression servers. I hunted the cyclops in oot the last few days, and with 4 instances up on Lockjaw, there were actually mobs to kill if you choose the less crowded instance.

Classic is still a tiny place, but much more fun now, but after 3 weeks I am kindda done with it.. just looking forward to kunark and hopefully more expansions to come faster than the silly 6 month timelock.

Well I am one of those who prefer most of the new features over oldschool p99 style eq, with some exceptions..namely revamped zones and op mage pets that really mess with the general eq game experience. I like origin, I like the newer client with loads of great features, I like actually kiting stuff because dots count fully, improved healing that makes druid and shaman valid as healers, shared bank.. All the stuff that oldschoolers hate :D but for me these things doesn't ruin the eq experience, it only improves it.

The hybrid model is working for me as well :)

There are enough concurrent players to spawn 7 or so phases of a LOT of zones. How many do you need?

Cannot we just be happy for the success instead of finding reasons to be cynical?

Except your 'reality' is just not the reality I am seeing in game as a current player. And seeing as I am the one actually playing...

You are wrong in this case. Log into the game and play a bit and then maybe we can have an equal discussion about the server and how it's working.

Like I said, its not a theory.  I've played half a dozen titles with this sort of thing, and its always the same.  The negative impact of this technology on a community is documented, not even sure why you are arguing it other than to fanboy for a modernized game that dried up a decade ago.  The only way the scenario I previously described is not happening is simply because there aren't enough players being shuffled through a few instances to give a truly disconnected feeling.  That is obviously the case here, or there are that many, and you simply don't remember what classic EQ was actually like.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

...Daybreak seems to be listening to the players and trying to give them what they want with the resources available.

I too wish DB every success; and give them mad props for the wipe they did when the initial launch had bug/exploit issues. Haven't heard much since then b/c my friend stopped talking about the server. If the game wasn't so modernized in terms of spells/easy-mode, etc, I might be playing. About the only thing that would get me back as a player is a server locked progression where one server permanently stays in old-world; and you progress by moving to the next expansion server down the line.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Like I said, its not a theory.  I've played half a dozen titles with this sort of thing, and its always the same.  The negative impact of this technology on a community is documented, not even sure why you are arguing it other than to fanboy for a modernized game that dried up a decade ago.  

I am arguing it because I am playing and seeing it for myself. You are telling me 'how it is', for a server you do not play.

It's ridiculous.

Do I trust my own first hand experience, or your self proclaimed 'expert' statements? The answer should be obvious.

But now you are down to calling me names like 'fanboy' in an effort to belittle my first hand information, just because I say I am enjoying something and disagree with your cynical assertions.

Honestly, like I say, play the server even for a week and then come and talk to me. Until then you are just hot air and posturing. This is not an equal conversation and I cannot take your 'facts' seriously.