Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a fun f2p populated mmo with a fun to play tank role

themightyevilthemightyevil Member Posts: 2
Can anyone give me a suggestion on an mmo to play? I normally play dps classes..but would really like to give a dedicated tank a go in an mmo, looking for suggestions please! c:

Comments

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    There many mmo that have dedicated tank roles, Rift for tap target, or Tera and Neverwinter for action type tanking. So far don't know any other game atm, maybe wildstar in a few months when they go free to play.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by zaberfangx
    There many mmo that have dedicated tank roles, Rift for tap target, or Tera and Neverwinter for action type tanking. So far don't know any other game atm, maybe wildstar in a few months when they go free to play.

Swtor has several tank classes as well, as do ESO and TSW. (Though they aren't classes as much as a combination of skills in the latter two. And they're B2P, so not a perfect match if it has to be a F2P game.)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by zaberfangx

Swtor has several tank classes as well, as do ESO and TSW. (Though they aren't classes as much as a combination of skills in the latter two. And they're B2P, so not a perfect match if it has to be a F2P game.)

Swtor indeed has a typical tank role, is free to play, and i love how they made taunting usefull in PvP....  But then, where one plays a tank you want to do dungeons, sadly the number of dungeons you can do each week for good loot is limited as free to play..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Aion has a dedicated  tank class.  GW2, ESO, TSW has classes that can tank.  SWTOR does have tanking classes but has so many restrictions on their f2p model I think it's worth it. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I hear a lot of good about combat in TERA.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124

Tera!! Most fun tank class in the Lancer, definitely the class to go if you really want to know what it is like to feel like a real Tank. 

Only problem with Tera is it is now faceroll easy to play, BAMs that used to take real skill to beat and would waste upward of 20min in the original Korean release now go down in anywhere from 20 to 50sec, and dungeons that used to need a full team of 5 with a good tank and healer can now be duo at 1 lvl below and up and soloed easily at 5 lvls above. I cannot say for the new content of lvl 60 to 65 as I just started a gunner few days ago and am currently lvl63 so not been in any of the new dungeons yet, though soloing the lvl60+ BAMs is a bit more fun but still easy just takes a little longer. I have old toons of lvl60 but wanted to try a new one to get back into the flow of combat and skill rotations.

However all that aside Tera still rocks for combat, graphics and fun. Shame the global chat has degenerated into pre pubescent morons play ground, but at least it is easy to turn off.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

C'mon guys, where's the fun / troll factor, not one mention of WoT or Armored Warfare so far? :)

But seriously, OP, give a bit more info, like how do you like your dps classes, or what kinda setting you prefer?

If you like mouse-target, action-y gameplay, Neverwinter's GF is a nice dedicated tank, and the game is fun, f2p and populated. For a more "classical" setting, Rift has a couple dedicated tanks, clerics are even fun when tanking :) and it's f2p and fairly populated - just a bit bland, at least imo.

So from this group I'd rather say LotRO's guardian, a textbook-case tank, the game is populated and fun - there's a drawback, it's less f2p than Rift. But the model is very flexible.

For something in-between, and maybe the best from both worlds, AoC. The combo system is great fun, the game is populated (on PvE), and the f2p is pretty good - until you reach the endgame, at least. Both tanks are great, plus there's the Templar if you want a bit more unique tanking experience.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Tera would be a good choice. It is action combat but it does have a strong trinity role system. The Lancer is a really fun tank and if you can time your shield blocks well you can take almost know damage. The Warrior can also tank but is more based on movement and evasion.

If you are looking for something very different maybe look at trying Skyforge this next week for the last CBT. The tank role is a bit unusual since there is no dedicated healing role. There is support but you primarily keep your health up by avoiding damage and picking up health orbs that drop. 

For something more tab target traditional in terms of combat I would say SWTOR, Rift or Aion.

Aion is a strong choice. I really liked the Templar for tanking. It has been a long time since I have played but when I did the tanking was very active. You don't have snap aggro skills rather they just add a set amount of aggro (which they call emnity) and you only had one or two aoe aggro skills. The result was that you had to really think about what skills you would use on which enemy and when if you are going to keep 2, 3 or 4 mobs aggroed. and since it was just a fixed amount of aggro added with each skill, if you got behind it was actually hard to get that mob under control again. Also, the Sorcs CC target had to be taunted regularly while it was asleep. The regular non-strike provoke would add emnity but not break the CC. If you didn't do this you would never be able to pick that mob up when it came out of CC. It required lots of tabbing between enemies and timing the right skills. It was hard but very very fun when you got it down.

Aion was probably the most fun that I had with a tanking class in any game. Old school WoW warrior was probably second. Of course you have to be able to find groups for tanking to be fun.

Oh yeah, you can also play a Cleric in Neverwinter. :)  I jest, but only by a bit. Maybe they changed it but virtually every dungeon I healed for I had to kite all the adds around as I healed. I am just glad dnd clerics wear heavy armor. I have never had to move so much as a healer in any other game.

All die, so die well.

• themightyevilthemightyevil Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Po_gg

C'mon guys, where's the fun / troll factor, not one mention of WoT or Armored Warfare so far? :)

But seriously, OP, give a bit more info, like how do you like your dps classes, or what kinda setting you prefer?

If you like mouse-target, action-y gameplay, Neverwinter's GF is a nice dedicated tank, and the game is fun, f2p and populated. For a more "classical" setting, Rift has a couple dedicated tanks, clerics are even fun when tanking :) and it's f2p and fairly populated - just a bit bland, at least imo.

So from this group I'd rather say LotRO's guardian, a textbook-case tank, the game is populated and fun - there's a drawback, it's less f2p than Rift. But the model is very flexible.

For something in-between, and maybe the best from both worlds, AoC. The combo system is great fun, the game is populated (on PvE), and the f2p is pretty good - until you reach the endgame, at least. Both tanks are great, plus there's the Templar if you want a bit more unique tanking experience.

Sorry for being vague, im just looking for an mmo thats fun to play, style does not really matter to me, ive enjoyed SMT imagine when it was out, flyff, Path of exile, style of the game does not bother me, im just trying to find many different suggestions that I can choose from!

• MasterZedXMasterZedX Member UncommonPosts: 32
    I'd be interested too, but all these games mentioned are pretty old :/
  • kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Don't buy this "GW2 has tanks" some guy said above. By its own developer's words: "We got away with the trinity". It's a "everyone dps" game.
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    If you can find a good kinship, then I suggest LotRO.  Why the necessity of a good kinship?  Any class can solo the game, but, if you are in a good kin, they likely form groups for general pve play, giving you a chance to tank for someone.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• talient101talient101 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Wait till fall and you can do Wildstar. pretty fun tanking in this game.
  • pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by kinart
    Don't buy this "GW2 has tanks" some guy said above. By its own developer's words: "We got away with the trinity". It's a "everyone dps" game.

That is not true, and you misunderstand.

GW2 has tanks. Everyone can get tanky gear due to the way the attribute system works. What GW2 doesn't have is a taunt-informed rotation system, were the goal is to press a taunt button to force the enemy to target you. That is a stupid approach to threat. 

In GW2 the tanks are not so powerful, to make the game more challenging. You tank for a while, you dodge out of AOE and attacks. You use protection, buffs, regeneration and heals from yourself and allies to keep yourself alive, and other players take over the tanking role. 

The bunker builds are very popular in Conquest, because they are very difficult to kill and this causes a massive distraction for the other team. In dungeons the meta is DPS, due to it being a sign of great skill to avoid much of the damage less skilled players can't, but that is fine. There are lots of deviations from that. both in open world, pvp, wvw and dungeons, when you run with people who dont try to clear as fast as possible.

They took out the trinity in the sense of a gameplay makeup you need to success. There is very much a role dispention. You see it all over. All classes have something to offer. regenertion, stability, condi cleaning, shout healers, might stackers, debuffers, protection. :)