Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simply Titled Trolls

kuyanofdakuyanofda Member UncommonPosts: 52

almost every thread ive been reading on here is about trolls.

why did blizzard attract trolls?

why are there trolls in my game?

why is the moba so toxic?

and so and and so and so on.

we can say trolls make up a % of the human population, we can say trolls make up a % of the gaming population.

if you find a game that has a nice community, I may just stumble into it and become a troll just to add diversity.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    What you're saying is that you want to be a troll but are not a good enough troll to hang out with other trolls.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I could comment, but I'm afraid to get banned for trolling :-)

If you find a game with a strong non-troll population.  Learn how it did it, then become a game consultant.  You could make millions, retire at 35, and live on some exotic island with night clubs that serve fancy drinks with umbrellas.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Nope. Trolls are simply those players who have not learned the concept of integrity and respect on the internet because of the internet's enforcement of anonymity and herd-mentality. 

Trolls are nothing more than socially inept people who lack the ability to project real life social frameworks through their actions on the internet. The OP just confirmed his lack to do just that. This lack of empathy is a key trait of narcissism. 

When you enter a real life social engagement (be it work or play) you are are impacted by all the usual social elements affected by all senses and all forms of communication as offered by the physical world we evolved in. To openly rebuke and rebel against social expectations and standards is met with harsh immediate responses in a framework socially established enforcement. 

The internet offers nearly none of this and video games offer none or limited enforcement which therefore lays heavy emphasis on individual maturity and discipline. The real world comparison of this the usual definition of "What is the difference between an adult and a child".

Trolls are everywhere in gaming because gaming has (and this a primary complaint of new mmo vs old school mmorpg) a policy of open accessibility driven by profit demands (and sometime flat out profiteering) which provides almost no social protection for the individual. The sense of protection is typically gained by herd mentality which is a construct of conflict and not society building.

What we are left with are playgrounds for children and therefore child-like, narcissistic behavior is enforced. Online video games have become the modern Lord of the Flies. So much so that even in the face of open ridicule people like the OP post their shameful potential with little or no remorse.

You stay sassy!

• kuyanofdakuyanofda Member UncommonPosts: 52

ehh you're wrong.  troll exist everywhere. the mentality is not from video games, not at all ....... lol....... every professional sport has its fair share of trolling. maybe you dont see it or notice it because you dont play sports?  its called competition, its what drives troll behavior.  the mental game is as enjoyable to some as the actual game. 

and there is nothing wrong with playing devils advocate.  you wouldnt know what it means to be in the light, if there was no dark so to speak.

trolling exists in wall street

trolling exists in business

trolling exists in religion

trolling honestly exists everywhere.   are you capable of seeing the different forms of manipulation someone might do to best whoever it is or whatever it is they're trying to accomplish?  the behavior has always existed. it was never just about video games. 

• macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by kuyanofda

ehh you're wrong.  troll exist everywhere. the mentality is not from video games, not at all ....... lol....... every profesional sport has its fair share of trolling. maybe you dont see it or notice it because you dont play sports?  its called competition, its what drives troll behavior.  the mental game is as enjoyable to some as the actual game.  and there is nothing wrong with playing devils advocate.  you wouldnt know what it means to be in the light, if there was no dark so to speak. 

Are you trying to be cool?
    what?  no. im not allowed to make my opinion be known?  this isnt a place where i can share my thoughts?  wtf.
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Nope. Trolls are simply those players who have not learned the concept of integrity and respect on the internet because of the internet's enforcement of anonymity and herd-mentality. 

Trolls are nothing more than socially inept people who lack the ability to project real life social frameworks through their actions on the internet. The OP just confirmed his lack to do just that. This lack of empathy is a key trait of narcissism. 

well heres my beef with these 2 things.. 

1.  trolls are not simply players that have not learned the concept of integrity and respect on the internet.

prime example.. you know the speedlimit, yet you speed when you want to anyways.. .. why assume they just dont know how to behave?  its a fair assumption to assume they do in fact know how to behave, and dont care to.

2.  i never said i wasnt empathetic. ive been empathetic to many situations in my life.. far more than i can count, because you know, ive had far more interactions in life than i can count..  lack of empathy is a trait to narcissism, but that doesnt apply here not without you building strawmen you know?

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

1.  trolls are not simply players that have not learned the concept of integrity and respect on the internet.

prime example.. you know the speedlimit, yet you speed when you want to anyways.. .. why assume they just dont know how to behave?  its a fair assumption to assume they do in fact know how to behave, and dont care to.

2.  i never said i wasnt empathetic. ive been empathetic to many situations in my life.. far more than i can count, because you know, ive had far more interactions in life than i can count..  lack of empathy is a trait to narcissism, but that doesnt apply here not without you building strawmen you know?

It is entirely about choice. I never implied otherwise. You enforced what I said without knowing it. Narcissists don't lack empathy. They lack empathy for others outside of their sphere of influence. To make excuses for speeding when you know it isn't allowed (and know the reasons why it isn't allowed) is a lack of caring. Caring for things in your own life but lacking caring for things outside of your sphere of influence is a lack of caring. 

You can say you chose to do so but repeatedly not doing so establishes a patter of not caring ... because you chose not to care.

You can either choose to be a dick ... or choose not to be a dick. That choice is highly influenced upon the environment you are in hence The Lord of the Flies comparison. A troll who repeatedly trolls either by choice or ignorance is someone lacking the discipline to do otherwise. Choosing to act like a troll simply proves the weight of socially accepted behavior and your ability to empathize with others is not worth consideration to you. That is far worse then someone suffering simply from ignorance because your choice was driven by apathy which is a sign of social detachment. Video games are breeding this behavior. There is little organization supervision and even so called adults participate outside of social constraints.

This is all extremely easy to see if you have enough experience. It is the same as a person why is an alcoholic vs a person why enjoys a drink but knows when to stop. It is the same as a person who gets stoned 24/7 vs someone who merely likes a pull from time to time. You either control your own destiny or become swamped by the environment you placed yourself into.

I speak in general terms. There is no black and white and many are drawn into trolling despite hating it. You either gain a sense of agency or be a victim of your own actions.

You stay sassy!

i assume trolls understand their behavior as much as someone exercising civil disobedience.

they get their jollies off and feel the immediate impact of their actions.. who are you and who am i to tell them to act otherwise.. 

the vast majority of the kids and adults that troll are just as smart as you think you are.. thats the honest truth. but you can keep your blind eyes if you so wish

• TinkerBellCommandoTinkerBellCommando Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Thank You Dr. Phil
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

I don't think OP is looking at the same page as the rest of us... I am looking at the forums and there aren't many threads about trolls. Over a few pages in the MMORPG forum I found like 2-3 out of about 50 or so threads. 

I hate fake arguments.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Result of fast progression and solo focus. The mutation bring great profit but created ill effect .

My words are : deal with it.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

It is entirely about choice. I never implied otherwise. You enforced what I said without knowing it. Narcissists don't lack empathy. They lack empathy for others outside of their sphere of influence. To make excuses for speeding when you know it isn't allowed (and know the reasons why it isn't allowed) is a lack of caring. Caring for things in your own life but lacking caring for things outside of your sphere of influence is a lack of caring. 

You can say you chose to do so but repeatedly not doing so establishes a patter of not caring ... because you chose not to care.

You can either choose to be a dick ... or choose not to be a dick. That choice is highly influenced upon the environment you are in hence The Lord of the Flies comparison. A troll who repeatedly trolls either by choice or ignorance is someone lacking the discipline to do otherwise. Choosing to act like a troll simply proves the weight of socially accepted behavior and your ability to empathize with others is not worth consideration to you. That is far worse then someone suffering simply from ignorance because your choice was driven by apathy which is a sign of social detachment. Video games are breeding this behavior. There is little organization supervision and even so called adults participate outside of social constraints.

This is all extremely easy to see if you have enough experience. It is the same as a person why is an alcoholic vs a person why enjoys a drink but knows when to stop. It is the same as a person who gets stoned 24/7 vs someone who merely likes a pull from time to time. You either control your own destiny or become swamped by the environment you placed yourself into.

I speak in general terms. There is no black and white and many are drawn into trolling despite hating it. You either gain a sense of agency or be a victim of your own actions.

I'm not certain empathy is a choice.  You can pretend to have empathy for others, but that isn't necessarily caring as much as realizing it's the nice thing to do from an intellectual standpoint. 

You can be disciplined and healthy in your life without showing empathy for others and just dealing with that which effects you personally.

I generally don't feel much empathy for people as an adult.  I actually felt it more when I was a kid and was being pushed around, bullied, and put in awkward situations without much help from adults to control it. 

Now I feel the responsibility to do certain things right and try to be nice to others as it doesn't really cost me anything and it might help them.  I don't really feel a great desire to help others because I feel bad for them though.  I'm just trying to be a healthy person instead of like when I was younger and thought I could do whatever I wanted and still be ok (health wise).  It turns out there are a lot of things you need to do in order to keep your body and mind healthy.

I do feel that trolls were part of the enjoyment of games when I was younger.  I enjoyed to see real conflicts going on in game and have an emotional rush.

I don't feel that way so much now that I'm older.  I don't care as much weather someone is shouting in game or being me.  It doesn't really affect me in any way as it's just a game.  Perhaps that is part of when a MMO really starts to die for people.  When they realize it's just a game and nothing really matters in it.  You can die a million times, execute the game perfectly, or lose something, but it doesn't matter.  All that matters is that you are entertained in some way.  That is the only purpose of the game.  Listening to people fight over loot, going through more or less the same quest structure, going through more or less the same raid structure, and more or less repeating things at nausea isn't something I consider fun anymore.  It can be fun to interact with other people in a virtual world, but there really isn't any reliance on other people for things in MMOs anymore.  They are made to be solo games with a few group events added on.  Single player games often have a more entertainment quest structure and story which is something worth while at least.

In summary trolling isn't really something that bothers me or excites me anymore.