Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansion: HoT overpriced for what you get?

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I understand the 50$ mark for the expansion - a fair price after 3 years.

At the same time I told friends and online acquantainces when Gw2 was up for 10$ and they bought the game.

Now all of them could have gotten the game for free just by buying the expansion.

I hope they will improve this because right now I feel slapped in the face.

I advertised their game to my community being convinced that it's the best deal they will ever offer.

"Haha thanks fucker for convincing your friends to toss money at us for something they could have gotten for free soon!"

Harbinger of Fools
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

When was GW2 released ? How much did you pay for a subscription in this time ? 

You guys are little kids that can only think in there self centred world.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Dakeru

At the same time I told friends and online acquantainces when Gw2 was up for 10$ and they bought the game.

Now all of them could have gotten the game for free just by buying the expansion.

I advertised their game to my community being convinced that it's the best deal they will ever offer.

"Haha thanks fucker for convincing your friends to toss money at us for something they could have gotten for free soon!"

When was last sale on GW2? Remind us.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    Originally posted by booniedog96
    In all the expansions I have been through, none ever came with character expansion slots with regards to standard edition of course.  Is three years without an optional sub prior to the expansion not "perk" enough for you?  

ehh.. WoW upgraded their character per server slots when MoP released and they added in the monk class, that was free for everyone, so apparently you haven't been through many expansions with games at all.

as far as i know you had to buy MOP

• CriticKittenCriticKitten Member UncommonPosts: 47

Love the people on here ignoring the actual points that the OP made because they're too busy defending Anet from every possible criticism.  Even though his points are actually pretty reasonable and not at all "entitled".

First and foremost, the OP is protesting the fact that the expansion cannot be bought separately.  Which is a legitimate complaint for anyone who already owns the base game, because they don't NEED another copy of the game they already own.  And as you can't gift the extra copy to someone else, it's ultimately a useless bundle deal for vets of the game.  I know the goal is ultimately to bring in new players rather than cater to their existing ones, but they would be better off offering a separate and slightly cheaper "upgrade" package for people who already own the game, or by offering some other perk to people who already own the game if they spend money on the existing package.  That way they don't tick off existing players by effectively charging them for a game they already own.  It doesn't even have to be a BIG discount, just like $10 or something.

Second, the OP is pointing out that a recent sale dropped the price of the game and convinced a lot of people to buy....only for them to turn around and offer the base game effectively for free with the new expansion.  That's kind of a dirtbag move and it's fair for people to get angry about it.  If I knew I could just save my money and spend a little bit more to get both the existing game AND the expansion, I'd obviously do it, and I'll bet most of the people who bought the game during that sale would agree.  But, again, this boils down to there not being an option to buy JUST the expansion for a little bit cheaper.

Third, the OP is pointing $50 for the expansion (and if you already have the base game, that's really all you are wanting to buy anyways, an extra copy of the base game is useless to you) with a $75 or $100 price on the "Deluxe" or "Ultimate" editions is actually pretty pricey when you consider it by comparison to most games.  Most game expansions don't cost that much, with the only noted exception being WoW (and it could certainly be argued they're offering more than GW2 is, though the price is still too high even with that said).  It's certainly pretty pricey in an age where so many MMOs are moving to F2P models, and it might make the sell a lot harder for ANet that they're asking a price comparable to WoW.

None of these points are unreasonable ones to make.  The only people being unreasonable are the ones who cover their eyes and ears while defending ANet on this, not actually listening to the points being made and resorting to the age-old "if you don't blindly agree with everything the devs do, then you're entitled" mindset.  It's why I insist to this day that GW2's players are among the most overly defensive player bases out there.  It's just silly.

Originally posted by CriticKitten

Love the people on here ignoring the actual points that the OP made because they're too busy defending Anet from every possible criticism.  Even though his points are actually pretty reasonable and not at all "entitled".

First and foremost, the OP is protesting the fact that the expansion cannot be bought separately.  Which is a legitimate complaint for anyone who already owns the base game, because they don't NEED another copy of the game they already own.  And as you can't gift the extra copy to someone else, it's ultimately a useless bundle deal for vets of the game.  I know the goal is ultimately to bring in new players rather than cater to their existing ones, but they would be better off offering a separate and slightly cheaper "upgrade" package for people who already own the game, or by offering some other perk to people who already own the game if they spend money on the existing package.  That way they don't tick off existing players by effectively charging them for a game they already own.  It doesn't even have to be a BIG discount, just like $10 or something.

Second, the OP is pointing out that a recent sale dropped the price of the game and convinced a lot of people to buy....only for them to turn around and offer the base game effectively for free with the new expansion.  That's kind of a dirtbag move and it's fair for people to get angry about it.  If I knew I could just save my money and spend a little bit more to get both the existing game AND the expansion, I'd obviously do it, and I'll bet most of the people who bought the game during that sale would agree.  But, again, this boils down to there not being an option to buy JUST the expansion for a little bit cheaper.

Third, the OP is pointing $50 for the expansion (and if you already have the base game, that's really all you are wanting to buy anyways, an extra copy of the base game is useless to you) with a $75 or $100 price on the "Deluxe" or "Ultimate" editions is actually pretty pricey when you consider it by comparison to most games.  Most game expansions don't cost that much, with the only noted exception being WoW (and it could certainly be argued they're offering more than GW2 is, though the price is still too high even with that said).  It's certainly pretty pricey in an age where so many MMOs are moving to F2P models, and it might make the sell a lot harder for ANet that they're asking a price comparable to WoW.

None of these points are unreasonable ones to make.  The only people being unreasonable are the ones who cover their eyes and ears while defending ANet on this, not actually listening to the points being made and resorting to the age-old "if you don't blindly agree with everything the devs do, then you're entitled" mindset.  It's why I insist to this day that GW2's players are among the most overly defensive player bases out there.  It's just silly.

Thats because your and his points are just BS.

First and foremodt 50$ is price of HOT. Theres no "separate" or "non-separate". Youre not getting another copy of GW2. ANet is so kind to just include base game into the package for NEW players.

Second, people who bought it for 10$ and played it for few months now have 0 right to complain. In fact YOURE doing complaining for them and didnt see any notice of appointment youre their spokeperson. Means youre just speaking out of your a**. If tehy like it theyll buy the expansion, if not they wont, its THAT simple.

Third. Price of expansion is in line with other games which cost from 40-60. See, right there in the middle. GW2 is B2P game, WOW is P2P game with box price and cashs shop. Just like othe P2P games mentioned. Incomparable. Free games are free games. GW2 is not F2P game either.

GW2 playerbase is not "overly defensive" its just that GW2 trolls are just most stupid and funny.

Oh yea, they could throw in characer slot, as that would actually mean anything to people like OP and other trolls. Which came out of the woodwork, like everyone knew they would. Its been quite long draught for them.

It will be most funny when they start saying they bough expansion "to try it out and that its still worst game EVAH"

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

You do realize WoW did almost the exact same thing when WoD released. I have 3 WoW accounts and one of them I only purchased the basic edition many years ago. Right now that basic edition was upgraded to MoP. Why the heck would I complain about getting something for free? Same goes with GW2...folks complain about every little thing, it makes no sense.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Malabooga

There were many recently but apparently you prefer to act like you don't know that.

Malabooga, seriously..

You are whiteknighting in such an extreme manner that it's making us - the Gw2 community - look really bad.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Amjoco

You do realize WoW did almost the exact same thing when WoD released. I have 3 WoW accounts and one of them I only purchased the basic edition many years ago. Right now that basic edition was upgraded to MoP. Why the heck would I complain about getting something for free? Same goes with GW2...folks complain about every little thing, it makes no sense.

Its funny how people think this would go any different with other price points/goodies included.

Same trolls would do the same, no matter what.

There were many recently but apparently you prefer to act like you don't know that.

Malabooga, seriously..

You are whiteknighting in such an extreme manner that it's making us - the Gw2 community - look really bad.

Extreme manner? ROFL

Come on, tell us when was last sale.

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

OP, be realistic. You have people here who defend cash shops for non-existing games. You have people here who defend doing work for a company while paying them box-fees and subscriptions.

Do you really expect them to see how shitty a deal Arenanet is doing? Especially A'net's part where they  had flash sales of $10, now slap you in the face by saying it will be free if you wait a little bit longer. We have to wait to see about their statement  they will correct it for 'recent' sales. How recent are we talking. Also, I agree that they are shitting loyal long time customers (who have probably spent some serious money on their cash shops)  by giving them less value than new customers.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Tiller

So, the expansion is up for preorder, but if you already own the game and have been playing for  years you get nothing for $50. No extra character slots, nothing but a game we have no real info on other than a few small details. The forums are a flame in anger, people are vowing not to buy it…while others feel the need to pay even more ($100 for the ultimate edition)....oh and if you are new, you get the base game.....lucky you......I was looking forward to it, now it’s like someone handed me a deflated balloon …What did they offer up to remedy this? if you bought the base game recently you can get an upgrade for less, but if you have owned the game, screw you xD.....What a debacle.

you get nothing?

as far as i got it HoT offers:

* a new class,

* new specs,

* new weapons,

*structedered pvp (strongholds),

* a new region....

yea, that's basically NOTHING you get. and after all, you played their game for free for 4 years now or whatbot, that should REALLY give you something else for free.. since you payed THAT much :)

and i dont see that offer anyway you refer to. why should recently buying players pay less? how'd you come up with that logic?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by reeereee
    I'm not saying you guys got screwed but it's one less race, two less classes, and by the looks of it much smaller zones than the FFXIV expansion.

And the FFXIV was much cheaper. Plus FFXIV major content patches every 3 months which is going to continue in the expansion.

What I am more disappointed is not the price. $50 is nothing. What I am disappointed is that I am getting so little content. I want to play GW2 and have tons of content being released on a regular basis and I am more than happy to pay for it but the content isn't just there. I don't mind paying for content patches or more for an expansion if that means they give us more content.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

In all the expansions I have been through, none ever came with character expansion slots with regards to standard edition of course.  Is three years without an optional sub prior to the expansion not "perk" enough for you?  

Then you haven't played that many MMOs. GW1 came with 2 character slots per chapter (faction, nightfall etc.) to match the 2 new classes being released. Games like WoW and FFXIV don't give you character slots because you have so many slots that you can have all classes. Wow e.g. always gave you 10 slots per server. Then they introduced an eleventh class and the expansion gave everyone +1 character slot.

In GW2 that's particularly bad as you have 5 character slots compared to 8 classes and soon 9 classes. So if you haven't bought any character classes you will be quite a few char slots short.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by vgamer

OP, be realistic. You have people here who defend cash shops for non-existing games. You have people here who defend doing work for a company while paying them box-fees and subscriptions.

Do you really expect them to see how shitty a deal Arenanet is doing? Especially A'net's part where they  had flash sales of $10, now slap you in the face by saying it will be free if you wait a little bit longer. We have to wait to see about their statement  they will correct it for 'recent' sales. How recent are we talking. Also, I agree that they are shitting loyal long time customers (who have probably spent some serious money on their cash shops)  by giving them less value than new customers.

You should be realistic and see that some people dont do antyhing else but troll.

If you played game 2+ months for 10$ and youre complaining NOW, you really have some issues.

Shitting on loyal customers?

Loyal customers played game for free for 3 years, have ton of completely free content and spent cash on gems at their leisure and are not complaining that after 3 years comes out an expansion and that "instead 40$ it costs 50$" or soemething retarded as that.

Trolls =/ loyal customer, you got some things backwards.

Originally posted by fivoroth

Then you haven't played that many MMOs. GW1 came with 2 character slots per chapter (faction, nightfall etc.) to match the 2 new classes being released. Games like WoW and FFXIV don't give you character slots because you have so many slots that you can have all classes. Wow e.g. always gave you 10 slots per server. Then they introduced an eleventh class and the expansion gave everyone +1 character slot.

In GW2 that's particularly bad as you have 5 character slots compared to 8 classes and soon 9 classes. So if you haven't bought any character classes you will be quite a few char slots short.

Then yu hadnt played GW1 because GW1 had only 1 expansion.

WoW and FFXIV mandate you to pay 15/month, now translate how many character slots you could get for playing 3 WOW/FFXIV years.

WoW and FFXIV mandate you to pay 15/month, now translate how many character slots you could get for playing 3 WOW/FFXIV years.

Now that's bullshit and you know it. They were called standalone expansions but they were still expansions. For people who played GW1 they were pretty much expansions. GWEN didn't have a character slot because no new classes were introduced (that's a fact mentioned by an ArenaNet rep on the forums prior to launch). Nightfall even came with a whopping 3 character slots if you preordered. I played GW1 a lot longer than GW2 and you know what? We got tons more content from GW1. It's not even comparable. Factions and especially Nightfall blow GW2's expac out of the water.

If I am not mistaken just because a game was released 3 years ago does not mean I paid 36 months x $15 to play. I play until I exhaust the content and that's it. It's not like I am playing GW2 all the time throughout those 3 years. I probably played about 2 months in total of GW2. 

Again I am not so much disappointed about the price. I make a lott of money so $50 is not that much for me. What makes me sad is that we are not getting enough content. I would've paid more for the xpack if it meant I get more content. I just see myself finishing the expansion in like 20 hours whih will probably take me 3-4 weeks and that's it.

Now that's bullshit and you know it. They were called standalone expansions but they were still expansions. For people who played GW1 they were pretty much expansions. GWEN didn't have a character slot because no new classes were introduced (that's a fact mentioned by an ArenaNet rep on the forums prior to launch). Nightfall even came with a whopping 3 character slots if you preordered. I played GW1 a lot longer than GW2 and you know what? We got tons more content from GW1. It's not even comparable. Factions and especially Nightfall blow GW2's expac out of the water.

Really, the go back and ply GW1 since its so superior. Oh wait...

No they werent called "standalon exapnsions" they were called standalone games because they were standalone games.

GW1 exapnsion came with NO character slots.

And as i said, tranlsate 3 years of playing WoW/FFXIV (who dont give you character slots anyway) in GW2 cgharacter slots and lest se what is and what isnt "a robbery" and will you end up with enough character slots for 9 classes in GW2.

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192

The $50 cost isn't the issue - as noted that's about standard.

The real controversy is that when HoT was announced they stated that in order to play you needed the base game, and since the PaX announcement have sold both on sale versions and full price versions. Fair enough.

People were buying the game, because that was the only way to be able to play HoT as well.

Then, on the day Pre Orders are announced, they reveal the base game is thrown in for free at no charge - but they never informed the community months back, or even a few weeks back, that this was happening.

They must have known, but said nothing. All the people that have bought the base game since PaX have been shafted.

It got even sketchier, when within hours of the Pre Order going live, ANet changed their Official Heart of Thorns FAQ - it now included the reference the the free copy of vanilla GW2.

Unfortuntely for them, players used the wayback machine site to recover the previous version of the FAQ, and ANet were caught with their pants down.

So unless ANet had this brilliant idea on the morning of the pre purchase release, they knowingly lied to the community as a cash grab, then make people pay a second time.

This "deal" is worthless to many recent players because they already bought the game in the last few weeks/months - when clearly ANet knew this was coming. Then tried to hide it by altering their FAQ.

It's really dodgy.

If I am not mistaken just because a game was released 3 years ago does not mean I paid 36 months x $15 to play. I play until I exhaust the content and that's it. It's not like I am playing GW2 all the time throughout those 3 years. I probably played about 2 months in total of GW2. 

Again I am not so much disappointed about the price. I make a lott of money so $50 is not that much for me. What makes me sad is that we are not getting enough content. I would've paid more for the xpack if it meant I get more content. I just see myself finishing the expansion in like 20 hours whih will probably take me 3-4 weeks and that's it.

So? Come on remind us, how long it took to finish content in GW1 standalone games Factions and Nightfall, how much did they cost at release.

Since you HAVE to pay sub in P2P game just to log in, anything that costs >35$ is already more costly than HOT.

And you dont really know how long it will take you getting theough content. Latest SWOTR "digital expansion" costed 20$ and had 3-4 hours of content.

How much WoD had? (of course count out grindig gear, just new contetn)... ... ...

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

The wife and I will not be buying the xpac at that price point. 

People keep saying that because the game doesn't have a sub the price point is warranted, but I counter that buy saying this game doesn't have enough content to justify a sub in the first place. 

In other news, SWTOR's new expansion will be FREE to subscribers. Sounds like EA is learning from their mistakes while ANet keeps making new ones.

Joined - July 2004

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by Tiller

So, the expansion is up for preorder, but if you already own the game and have been playing for  years you get nothing for $50. No extra character slots, nothing but a game we have no real info on other than a few small details. The forums are a flame in anger, people are vowing not to buy it…while others feel the need to pay even more ($100 for the ultimate edition)....oh and if you are new, you get the base game.....lucky you......I was looking forward to it, now it’s like someone handed me a deflated balloon …What did they offer up to remedy this? if you bought the base game recently you can get an upgrade for less, but if you have owned the game, screw you xD.....What a debacle.

If you recently bought it you are offered a offer which saves you money..

If you already PLAY THE GAME FOR YEARS you dont get a offer, what is wrong with that?  you spend YEARS playing the game without having to pay anything else and you think you should be granted a offer, while you play the game FOR YEARS on which you paid YEARS ago 2 mc donalds meals worth of money...

The mmorpg community is ridicilous.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

this was a common complaint with Everquest 2 expansions and i dont agree with it

the base game is a bonus to new players -- the value wont exist for old players

some EQ2 players used to begrudge that new players got bundled past expansions for free

and that existing players were getting the shaft and deserved to have the newer expansion at a cheaper price

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    Originally posted by vgamer

You should be realistic and see that some people dont do antyhing else but troll.

If you played game 2+ months for 10$ and youre complaining NOW, you really have some issues.

Shitting on loyal customers?

Loyal customers played game for free for 3 years, have ton of completely free content and spent cash on gems at their leisure and are not complaining that after 3 years comes out an expansion and that "instead 40$ it costs 50$" or soemething retarded as that.

Trolls =/ loyal customer, you got some things backwards.

Man, quit the namecalling. You are as much as a 'shill' as OP is a 'troll'. We both know the truth though. I don't see why people keep defending companies with their lives as if it is their own mother. Are you denying that Arenanet provides less value to the veterans than people who are completely new? Look at it objectively. If you are new, you get core game + expansion for $50.

If you already own the core game, you get expansion for $50. Who gets the most bang for his buck?

And don't come with this shit about playing the game for free for 3 years. Arenanet's wages for those years were also dependent on those loyal customers. It's not as if Arenanet was a charity, giving everything for free. I dare you, go ahead and work for a company, PR position, and call your loyal customers names. You won't stay there for long. The loyal customers are what's keeping them alive. The new customers is just extra profit.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Most people, myself included, are upset that there are absolutely no perks whatsoever for veteran players. It's thanks to those players there is HoT in the first fucking place.

I'd be happy with at least 1 free character slot, or AT LEAST 50-60% off of the gem price of one. There is absolutely no respect toward veteran players who play since headstart. Every Gw1 campaign had 1 slot for *free*. 

And really its not about the 10$ more or less, it's about how they treat their loyal customers. 

Newcomers get the best value out of it. And here I am, blaming new players for the "New Playing Experience" we got few months ago which completely fucked up traits.

New players are overrated.,...

Also, to the guys bringing up WoW. WoW expack is 50$ ... to *veterans*. New comers play heftier price. Which is how it should be.

And the argument that we've been playing for years is no argument at all. Many of us were paying along the way, supporting the dev, even though we didn't have to. Shit like this makes me regret every $ I've spent.

After the thank you letter from CDPR on Witcher 3, I just didn't have a dev kissing my ass for purchasing their game...

This discussion has been closed.