Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Movie and EA

ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

With a new Star Wars movie coming out I'm sure that EA is expecting to experience a revenue dump from people who are Star Wars fans and also like PC games. They have the only MMORPG that is sort of in the IP, and I expect that the hand shakes have already been done to ensure that this is the only choice. I am a nearly life-long Star Wars fan, and I am going to make sure that I don't cave to the urge to play SWTOR again even though I'm sure my blood will be humming with Star Wars enthusiasm.

I understand that some people like the game, and all that, and I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier. I'm talking about the people who love Star Wars and are not addressed by the only offering that is out there. I have decided that I am not even going to buy Battlefront because it adds to EAs coffers and contributes to the MMORPG license continuing in a very tangential and questionable form.

They could have very easily made a new game for the new movies and classic timeline, but instead have chosen to ride an established sub-par engine/architecture to make sure that easy money flows. It's an extension of the overall problem with the genre, and is really a consumer enabled situation.

So in 2015 with a new and promising-looking SW film emerging, the MMORPG world is stuck with an albatross from 2012 that set a low bar, and prospered by essentially selling water to earthquake victims.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

So they made a mistake with SWTOR,,,, so what!

You all should have knew how SWTOR would turn out when they said it was story focused....

thats your fault.

Battlefront has nothing to do with SWTOR other than EA name on it. Made by two different teams.

Thats like boycotting all Marvel movies simply because Star Wars movies been shitty... come on...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    The EA name on anything is reason enough to boycott it.  (I personally am not a Star Wars fan though.  Jedi are damn paladins, and I hate paladins... *grumble*)
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I'm a huge Forgotten Realms fan but I'm not playing the MMORPG"s made with WotC approval.  I've got my standards and those mmo's have issues I can't overlook.  Tho my gw2 sylvari does resemble a drow *evil wink*.

Reread and think some might not catch my meaning if not spelled out.  I know what it is like to be a fan but not get the mmo you want.  Not a space ship fan.  But I was along for the Star Treck / Wars ride back when it was a thing.  Just... the uniforms... uek.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Wow, an "I hate EA" thread, what a new and refreshing perspective. 

There are probably better reasons to hate EA than Star Wars, or Battlefront for that matter (let's at least allow it a chance to take its' first breath before sacrificing it to the hipsters). 

As far as Star Wars games go, EA had little or nothing to do with the star wars games that came before. They were just a fish in the bucket. The fact that you'll have to go through EA now to get your Star Wars gaming fix isn't the end of the world. At least not for me. I am glad that I don't have to battle your moral dilemma because I'm certain the Star Wars fan would win. Fortunately, I don't have a problem with companies turning a profit. If I did, I'd probably have to snap the elastic band on my wrist 20 or 30 times a day. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Archlyte

With a new Star Wars movie coming out I'm sure that EA is expecting to experience a revenue dump from people who are Star Wars fans and also like PC games. They have the only MMORPG that is sort of in the IP, and I expect that the hand shakes have already been done to ensure that this is the only choice. I am a nearly life-long Star Wars fan, and I am going to make sure that I don't cave to the urge to play SWTOR again even though I'm sure my blood will be humming with Star Wars enthusiasm.

I understand that some people like the game, and all that, and I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier. I'm talking about the people who love Star Wars and are not addressed by the only offering that is out there. I have decided that I am not even going to buy Battlefront because it adds to EAs coffers and contributes to the MMORPG license continuing in a very tangential and questionable form.

They could have very easily made a new game for the new movies and classic timeline, but instead have chosen to ride an established sub-par engine/architecture to make sure that easy money flows. It's an extension of the overall problem with the genre, and is really a consumer enabled situation.

So in 2015 with a new and promising-looking SW film emerging, the MMORPG world is stuck with an albatross from 2012 that set a low bar, and prospered by essentially selling water to earthquake victims.

Battlefront is the new game; made on EA's new engine. And it probably qualifies as an mmo-lite game given the multi-player options. Going forward who knows they may add a DA:I type interface as well - either as an expansion or companion game. 

When it comes to SWTOR EA's options as you say it is an older game; isn't built on a new engine etc. So EA only really have two options: close it or "prop it up". And the latter is what they have gone for. 

But what if they had made some other new mmo; on some other new engine? Presumably you would not have bought it "because it adds to EAs coffers and contributes" etc.  

EA have come a long way imo. And for SW fans Battlefront looks as though it is "very faithful"; with more content to come. 

And because we have so few companies creating games I think it is worth repeating: EA have come a long way.

Gamasutra recently reported on what happened when EA were voted "worst company in the US" for the second time. Changes were made and, imo, we are seeing positive results. 

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Is "I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier" the new norm?  Why are people only interested in discussing topics in an echo chamber?  "If you don't agree with me, I'm not going to talk or listen to you because contrasting ideas force me to think." 

Clearly SWTOR was successful enough for an expansion, so that's what happened.  SWTOR also happens to be the correct direction for a MMORPG take on Star Wars to go (ie focused on the action and the story.)  It needed some improvements, but while it doesn't necessarily sound like they realized gameplay variety was a problem (nearly every enemy in the game plays exactly the same) at least it sounds like they're going to be improving upon their story and decisions aspect (which wasn't quite up to Bioware's typical quality bar.)

Personally I got bored from the lack of mob variety more than anything.  Did you really think that their engine/architecture was the limiting factor?  Why?

So given that the current direction is the right one, and MMORPGs are no longer growing as a genre, it would've been a bad decision on their part to release a new Star Wars MMORPG.

If you want new Star Wars, you'll play the new Star Wars games.  Like Battlefront (and I'm sure there will be at least 2 others.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

You're a Star Wars fan but will not play Battlefront? huh....what? My only "minor issue" with it is it doesn't have singleplayer campaings, something I mostly use as my trainings ground before entering a multiplayer game. 

Sure EA might do things I might disagree with, but I still enjoy plenty of games they release because I am a gamer. 

And your comment: They could have very easily made a new game for the new movies and classic timeline, to me doesn't make much sense when thinking how long such a game would take to be developed especially if you expect a MMORPG version and the fact EA has this exclusive licence with Star Wars so I don't think they would create another MMORPG. due to it's licence if that wasn't the case I would rather have some other company make a new Star Wars MMORPG but I am sure that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

The new movie has already started with more star wars related games.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

You all should have knew how SWTOR would turn out when they said it was story focused....

thats your fault.

Battlefront has nothing to do with SWTOR other than EA name on it. Made by two different teams.

Thats like boycotting all Marvel movies simply because Star Wars movies been shitty... come on...

So I am at fault for not liking the game, and according to you it was because I didn't research it enough? They said it would be good, and it wasn't, is that my fault too? I went into SWTOR with an open mind, and the only information I had was from BIOWARE. No, the game itself was entirely responsible for why I hate it. I watched guilds decimate, felt myself inexorably slide into despair each time I roamed the lifeless worlds, and became tired of being the savior of the universe just like everyone else. I guess if I had played another MMORPG like SWTOR and then still played it I could be blamed, but the game was a black hole for a long time before release. If anything I could be blamed for playing it after beta whistle-blowers sounded the alarm, but that's a hard sign to read sometimes.

I personally cannot contribute money to EA (Not that they will miss it in any way) after producing and continuing to keep SWTOR going. I was emailed the video for the new expansion, and again I marveled at the great quality of the video until I then thought about how much better that money could have been used to make part of a new game.

I have never boycotted a video game company before, but I have to this time. I can't be a part of the income glut that EA reaps for something that they not only did not enhance, but seriously diminished.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Reklaw

You're a Star Wars fan but will not play Battlefront? huh....what? My only "minor issue" with it is it doesn't have singleplayer campaings, something I mostly use as my trainings ground before entering a multiplayer game. 

Sure EA might do things I might disagree with, but I still enjoy plenty of games they release because I am a gamer. 

And your comment: They could have very easily made a new game for the new movies and classic timeline, to me doesn't make much sense when thinking how long such a game would take to be developed especially if you expect a MMORPG version and the fact EA has this exclusive licence with Star Wars so I don't think they would create another MMORPG. due to it's licence if that wasn't the case I would rather have some other company make a new Star Wars MMORPG but I am sure that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Actually it does make sense since they're basically obscolescing the entire 1-59 content now that everyone gets boosted to 60 in the next expansion. 

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Boycotting EA is moronic.

Play friggin games you know and like. Stop pretending you count as something that will matter to these companies.

If it is fun...I will play. No movie will ever be made about you boycotters. Most of us juts don't give a rats arse about your gripes...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Originally posted by Axehilt

I understand that some people like the game, and all that, and I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier. I'm talking about the people who love Star Wars and are not addressed by the only offering

Is "I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier" the new norm?  Why are people only interested in discussing topics in an echo chamber?  "If you don't agree with me, I'm not going to talk or listen to you because contrasting ideas force me to think." 

Clearly SWTOR was successful enough for an expansion, so that's what happened.  SWTOR also happens to be the correct direction for a MMORPG take on Star Wars to go (ie focused on the action and the story.)  It needed some improvements, but while it doesn't necessarily sound like they realized gameplay variety was a problem (nearly every enemy in the game plays exactly the same) at least it sounds like they're going to be improving upon their story and decisions aspect (which wasn't quite up to Bioware's typical quality bar.)

Personally I got bored from the lack of mob variety more than anything.  Did you really think that their engine/architecture was the limiting factor?  Why?

So given that the current direction is the right one, and MMORPGs are no longer growing as a genre, it would've been a bad decision on their part to release a new Star Wars MMORPG.

If you want new Star Wars, you'll play the new Star Wars games.  Like Battlefront (and I'm sure there will be at least 2 others.)

SWTOR water carriers don't ever even entertain the notion that the game is anything other than the greatest thing since sliced WoW. There are some here, but from experience in dealing with them on the official forums there is no discussion. Simply being hit with an unchanging 180 degree inversion of whatever one says gets old fast. So if that is not you, then it's not applicable.

The engine bogged in open world PvP and in several of the instances for me. There are a lot of reports from people that the engine is the culprit. If it's not then cool, I'm not married to that idea. It's merely one thing among many.

I have to admit that because the thing brings in money, it does make sense for the company to simply milk that stream. If I contribute to the stream though, I feel that I am not being true in my complaints, and I have just voted for the situation that I am against.

But the money would be there regardless. They could hardly have made a worse product, and yet it keeps pulling down the bucks because in this post-WoW audience it is the only Star Wars game. It will continue to be so until someone at the EA end decides otherwise, because people give them money to not produce another game.

SWTOR gives only the shadows of Star Wars goodness, as the main forms are locked away in the actual timelines, and the things you really want to see as a Star Wars fan are only hinted at, mocked, or crudely mimicked in SWTOR. SWTOR is the saturday morning bible stories of Star Wars written and drawn by galactic Satanist solo-eroticists who were raised on the teat of Blizzard's extra mammary gland. It is essentially a rendered purgatory where almost-Star Wars tropes go to die, and then respawn in exactly the same spot, uttering nothing but hoping that you will kill them again, because that is the only way the thing keeps going in that timeless land of green and red doors.

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Boycotting EA is moronic.

Play friggin games you know and like. Stop pretending you count as something that will matter to these companies.

If it is fun...I will play. No movie will ever be made about you boycotters. Most of us juts don't give a rats arse about your gripes...

Hey, I get it, you feel uneasy at expression of an individuals opinions. Don't worry man, you can read what other people think without it affecting your beliefs and what not. Thanks for speaking for other people too, that's a nice touch, but it doesn't mean you didn't just express the opinion of one guy who won't have a movie made about him for telling others not to express themselves.

Originally posted by gervaise1

Battlefront is the new game; made on EA's new engine. And it probably qualifies as an mmo-lite game given the multi-player options. Going forward who knows they may add a DA:I type interface as well - either as an expansion or companion game. 

When it comes to SWTOR EA's options as you say it is an older game; isn't built on a new engine etc. So EA only really have two options: close it or "prop it up". And the latter is what they have gone for. 

But what if they had made some other new mmo; on some other new engine? Presumably you would not have bought it "because it adds to EAs coffers and contributes" etc.  

EA have come a long way imo. And for SW fans Battlefront looks as though it is "very faithful"; with more content to come. 

And because we have so few companies creating games I think it is worth repeating: EA have come a long way.

Gamasutra recently reported on what happened when EA were voted "worst company in the US" for the second time. Changes were made and, imo, we are seeing positive results. 

I agree with you that Battlefront looks awesome, and it will hurt not to play it. But EA is also keeping SWTOR as the only MMORPG option for Star Wars so I can't buy any of their games. I do agree with you on all of your points, but I still have the dilemma of EA making my favorite genre of games devoid of an acceptable Star Wars game.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

thats your fault.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.....I am boycotting all games because of the EA logo on it, and that includes other games besides Star Wars.   It's our right and choice to do so, your right they made a mistake...but guess what, we also have a right to disapprove .  Try and shout down people all you want, it will not change their mind. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    I salute you for sticking to your own beliefs. If you hate something, then you shouldn't fill their coffers(perhaps not even talk about it because this way you give them free marketing and by indirect extension of that, money). Else the sanity will leave the building.

If only more people were like you, there would be less shitty games(not that swtor is one, but there are countless examples of copypaste, poor quality games being rewarded....for what exactly?).

People should talk with their wallets, yes.

We all know I definitely don't agree with Archlyte's opinions on the game, but he's entitled to them regardless.

If I hadn't pre-ordered  and activated GW2 before NCSoft destroyed City of Heroes I wouldn't have bought it either, purely out of spite. I even hoped for Wildstar to crash and burn for a while because of the publishers rotten treatment of Paragon Studios and the game's players.

I did get over it eventually though. May the same happen for the OP eventually.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

I understand that some people like the game, and all that, and I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier. 

With these lines your post lost what lilttle credibility it had to begin with. It's just another hate post towards TOR, this time masked as an EA reference one, like the dozens we had on these boards over the past years. Nothing new here. 

- There are a lot of people liking and playing TOR, not just "some". Apparently they are all wrong, water carriers as you name them while the "star" players like you wait for the "true" SW game. 

- You're not buying SW Battlefront. Okay, thanks for the info. 

Originally posted by gervaise1

I agree with you that Battlefront looks awesome, and it will hurt not to play it. But EA is also keeping SWTOR as the only MMORPG option for Star Wars so I can't buy any of their games. I do agree with you on all of your points, but I still have the dilemma of EA making my favorite genre of games devoid of an acceptable Star Wars game.

Just FYI, there has never been more than 1 Official Star Wars MMORPG at any point in the history of mankind. So that's not an EA thing. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

SWTOR water carriers don't ever even entertain the notion that the game is anything other than the greatest thing since sliced WoW. There are some here, but from experience in dealing with them on the official forums there is no discussion. Simply being hit with an unchanging 180 degree inversion of whatever one says gets old fast. So if that is not you, then it's not applicable.

Ah okay, that sounds reasonable.

Not sure I'd agree that the game's story fails to be Star Wars.  It was certainly Bioware's B-team (and/or the result of having to churn out so much quest/story content relative to a typical singleplayer RPG.)  But it still managed to hit upon most of the key bits of Star Wars without being clueless about it (aka SWG's "everyone wanted to be Uncle Owen, right guys?")

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by orionblack

thats your fault.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.....I am boycotting all games because of the EA logo on it, and that includes other games besides Star Wars.   It's our right and choice to do so, your right they made a mistake...but guess what, we also have a right to disapprove .  Try and shout down people all you want, it will not change their mind. 

You're right, everyone has the right to their own opinion. Unfortunately, there are way too many times when that right should be stripped away because the person with the opinion is too stupid to function. People will often say things like, "People who like games by <insert any large game company here> are lemmings and are just 'water carriers'" Funny thing is that the vast majority of these people have zero facts and even fewer opinions of their own (other than what's been dictated to them). So the whole "hate the big guy" idea, on the whole, has lost a lot of steam for me. Everyone likes a good protest, but at the end of the day, those same people are shopping at the Wal-Marts, the Targets, the EAs, the Ubisofts. Why? Because there ISN'T ANYTHING ELSE!!!! When the entire AAA games industry is made up of such a small number of viable companies, you just don't have a choice. Well, you do have a choice, you just go against your so-called beliefs to make those choices. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Actually it does make sense since they're basically obscolescing the entire 1-59 content now that everyone gets boosted to 60 in the next expansion. 

Not sure what you mean by this. Sure there are gamers who might get that boost  but it's not like EA removed 1-59 content. It's still there right for anyone to play or am I mistaken?

Didn't WoW have a similar feature like it?

To be honost I really dislike lvl boosts mainly because I actually dislike most end game of themeparkish MMO's. But that doesn't mean I can not enjoy pre-end game.

And don't get me wrong you have every right at your opinion but reading that you feel Battlefront looks amazing and might hurt not playing the game just doesn't sit by me. I know it's me so don't worry but I just can not understand if a person is a fellow gamer like me that just because the gamecompany has done something you disliked to not play their games. In all honosty I only understand those type of things with things that truly matter in live but not when we talk about entertainment. 

Originally posted by Shodanas

I understand that some people like the game, and all that, and I'm not really talking to you if you are a SWTOR water carrier. 

With these lines your post lost what lilttle credibility it had to begin with. It's just another hate post towards TOR, this time masked as an EA reference one, like the dozens we had on these boards over the past years. Nothing new here. 

- There are a lot of people liking and playing TOR, not just "some". Apparently they are all wrong, water carriers as you name them while the "star" players like you wait for the "true" SW game. 

- You're not buying SW Battlefront. Okay, thanks for the info. 

I explained clearly what I meant by water carriers, and I wasn't referring to people who happen to like the game. I was one of the people who liked the game at some points, but I was never one who tried to pretend it didn't have deficiencies.

I feel that I cannot get together with friends (they won't play SWTOR) and play through star wars content in an MMORPG format because SWTOR is clogging up the genre. I think that they realize that a new game would probably kill the income of SWTOR, and won't release another more coherent representative of the IP because they can literally sit back and make movies about the game that literally have nothing to do with how it plays, and soak up the money. EA has put dinner on your plate, and you are content to eat it, but I submit that there could be a better meal out there if people asked for it. I know that they won't, but I'm saying it would happen if people rejected fast food for good food. I can petition them til i'm dead and it won't help, so my only choice is to try and have some integrity about it even though that E3 footage of Battlefront nearly had me in tears it was so good.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Bashing a game before you play it lol. We gamers are getting really hard to please. Im not a huge fan of EA and thats because they have rushed some projects when it was clear the team was not ready to release. Still if a team working under EA makes a good game. I will play it. A good game is still a good game. A good game thats also from a story line I love like Star Wars, well Im not gona let the kid in me get beat up by the 40 year old cynic that live inside of me and if after watching the new Star Wars movies I feel like more SW, I will play SWToR again till I am sick of it and then move on. LOL 
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I must say I am VERY disappointed in the new movie, and won't be going to see it.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Bashing a game before you play it lol. We gamers are getting really hard to please. Im not a huge fan of EA and thats because they have rushed some projects when it was clear the team was not ready to release. Still if a team working under EA makes a good game. I will play it. A good game is still a good game. A good game thats also from a story line I love like Star Wars, well Im not gona let the kid in me get beat up by the 40 year old cynic that live inside of me and if after watching the new Star Wars movies I feel like more SW, I will play SWToR again till I am sick of it and then move on. LOL 

lol what are you talking about Nanfoodle, did someone bash BattleFront in the thread and I missed it? The last line of your post kind of puts it in perspective though: you don't care. Fair enough, I wish I was of that mindset, and I'm sure  EA/BIOWARE would approve as well. Here, this is the shit we shoveled, open wide cause it's all you're gonna get.

-Star Wars kid: OK :) I'll eat it til I'm sick of it.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

lol what are you talking about Nanfoodle, did someone bash BattleFront in the thread and I missed it? The last line of your post kind of puts it in perspective though: you don't care. Fair enough, I wish I was of that mindset, and I'm sure  EA/BIOWARE would approve as well. Here, this is the shit we shoveled, open wide cause it's all you're gonna get.

-Star Wars kid: OK :) I'll eat it til I'm sick of it.

Still sounds like a whole lot of whining and complaining with little substance. Kinda reminds me of those kids in Walmart. Yeah, you know the ones. We've all seen them. 

Q: So why aren't you going to play the game?

A: Because it's put out by EA

Q: Interesting. I'd be very interested to hear your stance on the EA situation. 

A: OMG! They're just so bad!!!! They ruin everything!!!!

Q: Can you explain yourself further? 

A: Ummmm, I said!!! BECAUSE THEY'RE BAD PEOPLE!!! TERRIBAD!! 

And there you have it! Expert inside information from the MMORPG forums. Back to you Tom! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------