Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansion: HoT overpriced for what you get?

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

So, the expansion is up for preorder, but if you already own the game and have been playing for  years you get nothing for $50. No extra character slots, nothing but a game we have no real info on other than a few small details. The forums are a flame in anger, people are vowing not to buy it…while others feel the need to pay even more ($100 for the ultimate edition)....oh and if you are new, you get the base game.....lucky you......I was looking forward to it, now it’s like someone handed me a deflated balloon …What did they offer up to remedy this? if you bought the base game recently you can get an upgrade for less, but if you have owned the game, screw you xD.....What a debacle.

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Even worse, they had a lot a "get ready for Heart of Thorns" sale where they reduced the price of the base game, only to turn around a few weeks later to give it away for free with the expansion. Anyone who bought GW2 in the last few weeks got seriously ripped off.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I was thinking $39.99 at the most, plus an extra character slot. This is just greed. This expansion is no worth $50 to me, and i have the feeling there will be others who feel the same eventually once the sugar coating wears off and they get to the turd part.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I'm not saying you guys got screwed but it's one less race, two less classes, and by the looks of it much smaller zones than the FFXIV expansion.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I expected $49.99, but i was surprised they didn't include a free character slot for their new class in the Standard version.

They expect players to spend $10 more for another slot, or buy the Deluxe or Ultimate versions for one.  I can't even remember the last MMO that didn't offer a free slot with their expansions (probably swtor unless i'm mistaken).

Not only that, but they also expected players to preorder, without revealing everything that HoT will contain.  It's just shady business.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by reeereee
    I'm not saying you guys got screwed but it's one less race, two less classes, and by the looks of it much smaller zones than the FFXIV expansion.

Im not saying that youre getting robbed, but you pay MANDATORY sub and have CASH SOP AND PAY for exapnsion in FFXIV.

Looks smaller? Tell me, what verticality do FFXIV maps have?

You played GW2 for FREE for past 3 years and you paid 250+$ JUST to be able to play FFXIV. And it didnt even have more content than GW2. And now they want MORE money on top of that for some new content.

Now, THATS a robbery.

Anyone who complains that he has to pay 50$ after 3 years of playing, well, you dont deserve it, and frankly, noone cares that much.

So even if they charged 250$ for expansion it would be MORE WORTH it than robbery called FFXIV.

Originally posted by observer

I expected $49.99, but i was surprised they didn't include a free character slot for their new class in the Standard version.

They expect players to spend $10 more for another slot, or buy the Deluxe or Ultimate versions for one.  I can't even remember the last MMO that didn't offer a free slot with their expansions (probably swtor unless i'm mistaken).

Not only that, but they also expected players to preorder, without revealing everything that HoT will contain.  It's just shady business.

They dont expect you to do anything. Just wait for 1-2 years until it goes on sale, and you can continue to play the game for free sans new areas. Parts of the expansion will still be available to you (khm, not like in FFXIV).

If anything, ANet has been fairest company, and i played pretty much all MMOs since 2001/2.

Also to note  that GW2 has been financially most worthy/value MMO i played, i even felt guilty and spent some cash on gems lol, because how P2P games rob people of 15$ every month just to be able to log in.

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244

wth is happening to players ?????

wasnt wow xpac for 50 dollars a game with a sub ????

what did u expect ???? and yes we still have little info about it ?

my god aren't u guys always saying that a 15$ is nothing per month ? how about 50 after 3 years ?

u are destroying the games u guys like and some day u will look back and regret it 

and btw if u dont like don't buy it 

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    In all the expansions I have been through, none ever came with character expansion slots with regards to standard edition of course.  Is three years without an optional sub prior to the expansion not "perk" enough for you?  
    Originally posted by booniedog96
    In all the expansions I have been through, none ever came with character expansion slots with regards to standard edition of course.  Is three years without an optional sub prior to the expansion not "perk" enough for you?  

hey now stop making sense do u want to get flamed ??????????????????? 

Originally posted by rafalex007

my god aren't u guys always saying that a 15$ is nothing per month ? how about 50 after 3 years ?

u are destroying the games u guys like and some day u will look back and regret it 

No, 50$ after 3 years of regular free content is ROBBERY.

15$/month JUST to be able to play+cash shop, not even more content, and then 40-60$ for expansion on TOP of that is AWSOMESAUCE.

Also complaninig about exnasion in a game that was pretty clear B2P+expansion financial model. lol

But i agree, dont like it dont buy it, AND they still let you play vast majority of stuff.

ROBBERY I SAY!

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    I won't be buying this since I don' care for the game; but if I were going to, the price point seems about right. You have had three years of a B2P game with free content updates and now you expect a discount on the expansion because you already own the base game? Entitled much? 

hey now stop making sense do u want to get flamed ??????????????????? 

IKR, modern day slavery mentality at its finest in to today's MMO gamer.  "I want more content from these devs and I will only pay zero or less - NAOW"!!! "Make the bad man fly mommy (sucks on titty), nom, nom, nom" - GoT reference.

Originally posted by FomaldehydeJim
    I won't be buying this since I don' care for the game; but if I were going to, the price point seems about right. You have had three years of a B2P game with free content updates and now you expect a discount on the expansion because you already own the base game? Entitled much? 

I do, I already own the base game, people coming in get the perks, while people who have pumped money into their gem store for years pay the same and get no perks like an extra character slot to play the new class. If that isn't enough of a stick in the eye, they put the base game on sale a few weeks ago to get new people in for the expac, then they put it in with the expac....to remedy the issue they re now offering expac only upgrade, but only to people who bought the base game during the last sale. So call us entitled all you want, I say we are just smart consumers, and  a good deal this is not....so I'm not giving them my money....simple enough?

SWG Bloodfin vet

Originally posted by Malabooga

No, 50$ after 3 years of regular free content is ROBBERY.

15$/month JUST to be able to play+cash shop, not even more content, and then 40-60$ for expansion on TOP of that is AWSOMESAUCE.

Also complaninig about exnasion in a game that was pretty clear B2P+expansion financial model. lol

But i agree, dont like it dont buy it, AND they still let you play vast majority of stuff.

ROBBERY I SAY!

at first i was going to reply to you then i read it again and noticed u forgot 

/sarcasm well played as a huge fan of joking and trolling ( nice soft one ) i salute u :) 

Originally posted by Tiller

I do, I already own the base game, people coming in get the perks, while people who have pumped money into their gem store for years pay the same and get no perks like an extra character slot to play the new class. If that isn't enough of a stick in the eye, they put the base game on sale a few weeks ago to get new people in for the expac, then they put it in with the expac....to remedy the issue they re now offering expac only upgrade, but only to people who bought the base game during the last sale. So call us entitled all you want, I say we are just smart consumers, and  a good deal this is not....so I'm not giving them my money....simple enough?

So you are annoyed that a product has reduced in price three years after release and you are not refunded the difference? I don't know what to say... Do you try to take your television back to the store for a refund three years after you bought it??? Your clothes, your furniture, your car???

So you are annoyed that a product has reduced in price three years after release and you are not refunded the difference? I don't know what to say... Do you try to take your television back to the store for a refund three years after you bought it??? Your clothes, your furniture, your car???

For people like the OP it's not about the expansion making sense, it's about the expansion making cents.

I've been on these forums long enough to see what you are attempting to do, and I'm not in the mood to argue about this with some noob. I posted my opinion and you're welcome to yours. Not sure why it bothers you that I as well as a majority of actual GW2 players disagree with the pricing scheme of this expansion, but I really don't care. It's not worth the price, deal with it.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

MoP gave one, but i think that is the only example

i will certainly buy this one, one of the few action mmos , that i can stand

I've been on these forums long enough to see what you are attempting to do, and I'm not in the mood to argue about this with some noob. I posted my opinion and you're welcome to yours. Not sure why it bothers you that I as well as a majority of actual GW2 players disagree with the pricing scheme of this expansion, but I really don't care. It's not worth the price, deal with it.

I'm not attempting to do anything, what I am doing is identifying that your argument is fallacious, and since you seem to be resorting to insults and evasion I can only assume you agree with me.  

Also, just what??? Who undertook the survey? 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    .... It's not worth the price, deal with it.

The only thing that anyone here needs to "deal with" is your opinion.

Anyone that really enjoys the game won't think twice about paying the price for the expansion. The whole foundation of GW2's revenue stream is based on selling expansions while supplementing that with the continued Cash Shop sales. They are not about to start giving away the expansions for free...

ANet have already adjusted the deal to compensate those who bought the original game recently. That was a blunder on their part, whether intentional or unintentional, but they corrected it when called out.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

they already corrected it? that was fast

another reason to buy their product

if i was a tech guy , i would put up a GIF with Fry saying "SHUT UP, AND TAKE MY MONEY"

btw OP if u have played the game for a good time i am sure that u have enough gold to buy a charcter slot so i don't see the problem 

plus only few games gives you one anyway so again i don't see the problem 

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

I do not see a problem with paying 50$ for an expansion at all.

Out of all the games I bought over the years, I feel GW2 was one of the best purchases in terms of value for money. We got an innovative game with a nice base experience, plus a continuous stream of content and updates - all for the price of the game box (50$?).

In comparison to most other games (ones that charge subscriptions), they are delivering way more content on a regular basis - none of which you have to pay for as long as you play regularly. Were this a subscription game, I would have paid over 300$ by now.

The expansions seems to be bringing an array of new features, as well as content.

It is important people realise what their monetisation setup is! When you buy the expansion, you are not paying 50$ to cover the development of only the features in the expansion, but also the updates to come after that (since they do not monetise gameplay features provided in updates). 50$ for two of three more years of regular content updates? Seems like a good deal to me.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

ehh.. WoW upgraded their character per server slots when MoP released and they added in the monk class, that was free for everyone, so apparently you haven't been through many expansions with games at all.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Wow, $50? I spent that much at Sizzler for a meal with my wife and son. It's literally hundreds of hours of added content with no added fees. Heart of Robbery would be not getting it.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

This discussion has been closed.