Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General things to consider ing setting up a new gaming PC

spellhunterspellhunter Member Posts: 2

Hi Guys,

I'm setting up a new gaming pc and I would like to know what are the General things to consider ing setting up a new gaming PC?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    I'm sure lots of others will give you advise on different CPU's, motherboards, memory and Video cards to buy but really those things are largely dictated by your budget.  The one thing I have learned is don't skimp on the case.  I had a half tower cheap case for years that I fought with keeping the temps down and regardless of what CPU heat sinks or video cards I put in it always ran way to hot and way to loud.  I finally switched to a full sized tower case with vents on the top with dedicated cable management paths and the difference was huge.  It's way easier to overclock this case, cards and connectors are easy to reach and change and everything runs cooler which lets me get away with running the fans at lower RPM's which makes it a lot quieter.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Outside of performance specs (I'll eave that mess to others), here's what I look for:

• Front/top USB and audio in/out ports
    • Brand that I've heard of so that support or replacement is an options if needed
    • QUIET fan, which can get expensive but worth it if you do livestreaming or video conferencing. 
    • If it will be above desk, then case appearance. If out of site then I couldn't care less. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

I like to spend most of my money on my CPU, because upgrading a GPU is easier than upgrading a CPU which often requires a new motherboard.

Putting in a new GPU takes 5 minutes. Removing your motherboard, redoing all your cable managemt, is like rebuilding your whole PC, it sucks.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Component compatibility and future proofing. Changing the CPU can be a pain but GFX cards and memory are easy to swap/upgrade. Find a case with good cooling that you can reuse for future projects, make sure it has plenty of space for extra HDDs/SDDs, etc.
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I suppose it almost goes without saying, but I'd consider having a very good primary solid state hard drive (SSD) almost a must these days. Although it doesn't have to be a large capacity one. Probably 75% of the programs and other media that I do install can work just fine on my (second) big, cheap magnetic HDD.