Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Echo of Soul: Preview - Not Bad, But Nothing New Either

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126

Echo of Soul is a free-to-play fantasy-themed MMORPG that was originally released in Korea in 2013 and now is making its way to North America and Europe with Aeria Games. The game’s story tells of a goddess who sacrificed her life to save the world, causing her body to disperse into souls scattered across all of its inhabitants which later has a play in the game’s key feature: Soul Skill system.

Read more of Catherine Daro's Echo of Soul: Preview - Not Bad, But Nothing New Either.

image


¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


Comments

  • GremrielGremriel Member UncommonPosts: 65

    It seems, and I have had this feeling for a while now, that my MMO days are over.

    Having to buy something from a cash shop to advance a quest is simply a no for me.

  • onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 151
    To be fair, the two "School Set" quests in Mnemos are the only two I've come across that require items from the cash shop, and I've been playing for almost a month now...I think the intent was to introduce you to the cash shop, but it's not executed very well. These two quests are optional and do not reward xp, just the School Set hat and costume.
  • BenbradaBenbrada Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by onelesslight
    To be fair, the two "School Set" quests in Mnemos are the only two I've come across that require items from the cash shop, and I've been playing for almost a month now...I think the intent was to introduce you to the cash shop, but it's not executed very well. These two quests are optional and do not reward xp, just the School Set hat and costume.

    Yeah considering one asked you to spend $24.99 USD on something I wasn't sure I wanted for that much was out of the question! The other one was asking you to spend $2.99 I think which was cool to me.

  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    A better implementation of the quests might have been to give players enough of the currency to go to the shop, buy the items and complete the quests. While optional, it seems a bit unfair to require real world expense if you want that costume piece. :D


    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


  • ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616

    It is a fair point, I agree and thank you for it. 

    Do you find the game entertaining almost month into playing? I, myself, for sure will return to it once the E3 excitement and news torrent fully passes :) 

  • BenbradaBenbrada Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Shelassa

    It is a fair point, I agree and thank you for it. 

    Do you find the game entertaining almost month into playing? I, myself, for sure will return to it once the E3 excitement and news torrent fully passes :) 

    At level 20 the game progresses pretty quick and is un. The "Kill X of Y" doesn't require you kill a large amount of "Y".

     

    My complaints, overlooking a lot of instances, are re-spawn rates are awfully high and why the limits on guild size at the start? A level 1 guild is only allowed 20 members, level 2 is 40. Also, I thought the professions tutorials need some more detail.

     

     
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,946

    You are not surrounded by quest for hours unless you want to be. Even the Kill x or y don't require you to kill a lot like you said. Did you not read the pop up at level 10?  I only quest up to level 10 which takes me about 30 minutes then I am off to the Battlegrounds to level through PVP.

     

    Been playing for over 2 months and having a blast. The one thing that Echo has over all other mmos is that I finally don't have to do boring quest and can level up from PVP. This alone puts this game above anything else out there. Add in a real Open PVP system and this is my game of choice. People said it was going to be pay to win and that's has been proven to be false. People said that Areia was bad but the GMs are always in game with events and trying to help anyway they can. 

    As for the 2 cash shop quest check the rewards and don't do them if you don't want the items they give. Most everything in the cash shop is in the auction house and what ever is not there can be bought from another player with in game gold. Its a matter of choice not force. No mention of PVP in Echo Of Soul says you have not seen anything this game has to offer. This site really needs to get somebody that likes Asian mmos who would put in the time to see what they are really about before reviewing them.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    Originally posted by Mikeha

    You are not surrounded by quest for hours unless you want to be. Even the Kill x or y don't require you to kill a lot like you said. Did you not read the pop up at level 10?  I only quest up to level 10 which takes me about 30 minutes then I am off to the Battlegrounds to level through PVP.

    This is from the article:

    "If quests are not to your liking, though, you can always turn to dungeons or PvP: upon getting to level 10 and picking a specialization, you become able to join 15 vs 15 battleground."

     


    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,946
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by Mikeha

    You are not surrounded by quest for hours unless you want to be. Even the Kill x or y don't require you to kill a lot like you said. Did you not read the pop up at level 10?  I only quest up to level 10 which takes me about 30 minutes then I am off to the Battlegrounds to level through PVP.

    Been playing for over 2 months and having a blast. The one thing that Echo has over all other mmos is that I finally don't have to do boring quest and can level up from PVP. This alone puts this game above anything else out there. Add in a real Open PVP system and this is my game of choice. People said it was going to be pay to win and that's has been proven to be false. People said that Areia was bad but the GMs are always in game with events and trying to help anyway they can. As for the 2 cash shop quest check the rewards and don't do them if you don't want the items they give. Most everything in the cash shop is in the auction house and what ever is not there can be bought from another player with in game gold. Its a matter of choice not force. No mention of PVP in Echo Of Soul says you have not seen anything this game has to offer. This site really needs to get somebody that likes Asian mmos who would put in the time to see what they are really about before reviewing them.

     
     
     

    This is from the article:

    "If quests are not to your liking, though, you can always turn to dungeons or PvP: upon getting to level 10 and picking a specialization, you become able to join 15 vs 15 battleground."

     

     

    Then talk about your experience from doing it.

  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,489

    Firstly, quick correction to the article:

    There's a second permanent mount you can buy for 5g. The quest appears as you level up, and it's simply a go see the mount npc. It's still a dodgy looking llama (but bears more resemblance to a star wars tauntaun), a bit faster than the initial mount. Available in different colors

    Now for the pve leveling experience - yep I persevered to lvl 60 just doing pve quests. It's repetitive, absolutely repetitive, with no variation at all in the leveling quests. I had the same feeling at getting to lvl 60 as I had getting level 10, or 18, or 27, or 33, or 48, or whatever.

    I'll look at the end game - but not yet - need time to recover my motivation which rode out on a purple llama/tauntaun/giant feathered chicken thing.

  • WarlyxWarlyx Member RarePosts: 2,907
    my main issue with the game is about bgs.... lvl 10 vs lvl 40+  ugh.... even with boosted stats the talents makes a huge difference , u dont feel "right" until 20+ and even then u get spanked
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    Originally posted by Mikeha
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by Mikeha

    You are not surrounded by quest for hours unless you want to be. Even the Kill x or y don't require you to kill a lot like you said. Did you not read the pop up at level 10?  I only quest up to level 10 which takes me about 30 minutes then I am off to the Battlegrounds to level through PVP.

    Been playing for over 2 months and having a blast. The one thing that Echo has over all other mmos is that I finally don't have to do boring quest and can level up from PVP. This alone puts this game above anything else out there. Add in a real Open PVP system and this is my game of choice. People said it was going to be pay to win and that's has been proven to be false. People said that Areia was bad but the GMs are always in game with events and trying to help anyway they can. As for the 2 cash shop quest check the rewards and don't do them if you don't want the items they give. Most everything in the cash shop is in the auction house and what ever is not there can be bought from another player with in game gold. Its a matter of choice not force. No mention of PVP in Echo Of Soul says you have not seen anything this game has to offer. This site really needs to get somebody that likes Asian mmos who would put in the time to see what they are really about before reviewing them.

     
     
     

    This is from the article:

    "If quests are not to your liking, though, you can always turn to dungeons or PvP: upon getting to level 10 and picking a specialization, you become able to join 15 vs 15 battleground."

     

     

    Then talk about your experience from doing it.

    It's a preview and it will be discussed in a future article and / or review. ;)


    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,760

    It's a fun game and the combat is good for the style. It reminds me of WoW a lot, but in a good way.

    I ran into a bug where the daily reward login reset on day 7 and I got screwed out of the day 7 mount reward. I emailed support, explaining the bug in detail and requested the reward, but the support person was more concerned with telling me there wasn't a bug and I didn't understand the system and that they weren't going to compensate me rather than listening, so I stopped playing.

    If customer support won't listen to a small trivial problem then that tells me there is a good chance for the same thing if I run into a bigger issue. It's not worth it.

    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Gremriel

    It seems, and I have had this feeling for a while now, that my MMO days are over.

    Having to buy something from a cash shop to advance a quest is simply a no for me.

    It's just 2 throw away quests, I'm sure you can live missing 2 out of a 1000 in the game.

  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516

    im also curently playing this game and yes while it bring nothing new to the genre it do everything right you want from a mmorpg.

    the instance higher level are realy fun also you can do infinity instance run at lvl 60 who will give you purple gear ( that nice for people who want solo )

    also the pvp are realy realy fun in this game, the skil system look like ''aion'' and realy fast paced with nice animation skill.

    the game got quite alot of contents with raid incoming soon with a new class.

    also you can go in valhala if you got a guild and that crazy pvp fight 100vs 100 or way more people, people go there for kill a big boss in the midle of the room who give 1000gold to the guild who kill him.

    they are also arena where you can create a team of 5 friends , free arena if you are alone ect.

    that a overall realy solid mmorpg with quite alot of quest and contents

    also that good to note the team behind the game are dev from lineage game and aion so people who like these game can also very much like echo of soul.

    also the cash shop not p2win in any way or form that also realy rare in all these f2p release we got each week.

    so while you wait ''this new mmorpg who never came'' or this ''new gen game who never realese'' if you are missing a solid good old school mmorpg with new gen graphic.

    echo of soul waiting for you, and hey it free !!

  • Ronoch2Ronoch2 Member CommonPosts: 6

    To the ppl who say this game isn't pay 2 win...are you dumb or what? LOL this game is totally P2W.  Yes, I play it, and yes I PvP...just playing it because there is not a damn thing out to play atm. 

    A guy I know purchased 50k ap the other day and now he's like 1 shotting everyone in the pvp battlegrounds, and he's horrible at pvp lol but since he spent tons of money he's good.  He already has +8 Lucid ruby(almost to +9), which is an enchant jewel on his weapon that gives a HUGE bonus in dmg.You can buy appraisal inks to get the best tablet possible, which gives you tons of extra stats. You can purchase safeguards and increase in chance to + up your jewels, mounts that give u slightly lower chance of being knocked off when hit. Mounts are not a big deal but I mean common, this game is p2w all day. Even someone that doesn't know what they are doing will beat someone who does in PvP just for the simple fact they spend hundreds of extra dollars. Same goes for PvE, you spend tons of money, you will be able to progress MUCH faster, get gold faster and control the market.

    And before you say, well duh! u can get all this with in game gold! Ofc you can but it will take u a hell of a lot more time to do get it then someone who takes out there credit card and pays to win. The "taking time" aspect is fine for PvE and such, but when you get to PvP it becomes frustrating when some scrub kills you just because they have "deep pockets."

    Whatever happen to MMOs where you had to be skillful to progress?!?

  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Ronoch2

    To the ppl who say this game isn't pay 2 win...are you dumb or what? LOL this game is totally P2W.  Yes, I play it, and yes I PvP...just playing it because there is not a damn thing out to play atm. 

    A guy I know purchased 50k ap the other day and now he's like 1 shotting everyone in the pvp battlegrounds, and he's horrible at pvp lol but since he spent tons of money he's good.  He already has +8 Lucid ruby(almost to +9), which is an enchant jewel on his weapon that gives a HUGE bonus in dmg.You can buy appraisal inks to get the best tablet possible, which gives you tons of extra stats. You can purchase safeguards and increase in chance to + up your jewels, mounts that give u slightly lower chance of being knocked off when hit. Mounts are not a big deal but I mean common, this game is p2w all day. Even someone that doesn't know what they are doing will beat someone who does in PvP just for the simple fact they spend hundreds of extra dollars. Same goes for PvE, you spend tons of money, you will be able to progress MUCH faster, get gold faster and control the market.

    And before you say, well duh! u can get all this with in game gold! Ofc you can but it will take u a hell of a lot more time to do get it then someone who takes out there credit card and pays to win. The "taking time" aspect is fine for PvE and such, but when you get to PvP it becomes frustrating when some scrub kills you just because they have "deep pockets."

    Whatever happen to MMOs where you had to be skillful to progress?!?

    got a +8 lucid ruby and i have pay nothing, did the pvp battleground and got 2 times +5 lucid ruby and upgraded them + got drop from instance. he just got it a litle faster that me.

    honestly im failing to see where the game p2win from what you say

    yeah you can get safeguard for cash but you can also get them ingame in the auction house or with the daily, they just remove the chance gem break but hey i did my gem until +6 with none of them and got lucky, did not break any.

    again you look like you find p2win = faster

    for me p2win = better and something you cant get ingame.

    and again i got the same stuft of this guy you talk about, and i have pay nothing ingame yet

    this dont sound like p2win to me

  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Skuall
    my main issue with the game is about bgs.... lvl 10 vs lvl 40+  ugh.... even with boosted stats the talents makes a huge difference , u dont feel "right" until 20+ and even then u get spanked

    It's not that bad, really it isn't. I hate to say it but, you may wanna learn to play? While I am not going to say your "wrong", because extra skills do make a difference, it also is the fact that these people have been practicing more than you, and that DOES make a difference. They know the class inside and out at around lvl 40+

    Being able to level via PvP is worth it though, and getting into a game quickly is important to me.

     

    A benefit to this game, as of right now, it is NOT pay to win. There are some conveniences you can pay for, some safeguards against RNG, and some time-savers, but really if you are a free player with some time on their hands, you can easily compete without spending a dime. I am max level, arena ready and I have only paid for bag space, which I probably could have ignored.

     
     
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,206
    I tried installing this last week but my anti virus went ape shit with warnings about a trojan.  It's most likely nothing but I'm not willing to risk the security of my computer on an mmo I'll probably only play for a few days.

    Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

    Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    I tried installing this last week but my anti virus went ape shit with warnings about a trojan.  It's most likely nothing but I'm not willing to risk the security of my computer on an mmo I'll probably only play for a few days.

    you would have realy risk nothing, that a false positive from their anti hack system they got

    just set the game to ''exclusion'' 

    100% you risk nothing man, that strange to think something else

  • thurlokothurloko Member UncommonPosts: 3

    Very cool preview.

    Here a gameplay of the Archer if people want to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKnipow_m3Q

     
Sign In or Register to comment.