Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert to officially launch July 14th with a Mega Server

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    I think many posters would agree that taking twenty days to gain a level could be considered a devastating grind.  Especially with the current player demographic. 

that's probably true given the current player demographic. I think it would be luxury in a "grind game" as I spent a year getting half  a level in L2. Uphill "both ways" mind you.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Yet another modern day MMO which refuses to address community. Megaserver and solo centric play....no thanks.

What do you mean refuses to address community? Community is something players create.

Thats it in a nut shell. I find if you go back to an MMO a year after launch even the worst games have set up a community. Question is what type of people the game will bring in will be a big part of what kind of community. Sometimes I miss my EQ and DAoC days when I think of rich depth in a online community. =-) Solo sided games that dont require teaming often dose not seem to make the best communities but who knows its really a crap shoot now days lol

That has been my experience as well. What i find boggling are these folks who constantly go on and on about having nothing to play, yet then you see the same folks writing things like the above, you realize, they don't give anything a chance, don't do thing one in regard to forming a like-minded in-game community, yet expect people to understand when they go off on their rants about being left behind.

This is the biggest fallacy I see here, in SWG we created our own community of like minded players, we formed an alliance of guilds out of it. The imperials had a similar group within their ranks, we duked it out for years. That had nothing to do with game systems... ALl we needed was those players and the ability to interact. What's missing today are those willing to put in the work to build those things, it took a lot of time and effort.

You people are seriously dense. You are using SWG....an old school sandbox game which promoted community with its design....to a solo centric game with a megaserver?! Seriously? This is your argument againt my point? Wow.

My point was what we created had nothing much to do with the game's design, it has also lasted much longer than SWG did as a game, as well as has been carried over to other games, sandbox or not.

IF you were never part of building a real community, I could understand not knowing what that really means. What does a megaserver have to do with what I said?I asked you what you meant, gave a reason why i feel as I do, get insulted... Nice idea of what it means to debate you have there.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Never trust a MMORPG that shows a solo player in the majority of it's teasers and developer diaries. NEXT.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ankhfnkhonsuankhfnkhonsu Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by ankhfnkhonsu

I haven't played BDO because I am generally the type of person that prefers to wait for the live release.  That said, I have friends that do and let them tell it, the unlimited levels are not a problem.  Reason being is that once you get to level 50 the exp gain comes becomes a devastating grind.  So that in essence it is sort of a level cap, although there is a bit of exp gain still happening.  In other words, once you reach level 50, you can literally just forget about exp and play the game.  At some point, after you've played the game for a very long time, you may well ding level 51.  But that one level wont really much make a difference because the game is more so skill based, than it is level based.

Let me just correct this misinformation.. Currently 55 is the soft cap, the only think limiting additional level progression is the lack of high level monsters. It took me about 2-3 hours of grinding to go from 50-51, however, 55-56 you may get 5-10% per day depending on how dedicated you are. Yes the game is skill based, but it's also gear based. Once I hit 51 I spent most of my time trying to figure out all the ways that I could make silver (there are a lot of them!) Testing out new grind spots, leveling/breeding horses, doing trade runs, fishing etc. I progressed from 51-56 naturally by just farming for items and grinding skill points (which also have a soft cap). Currently, every profession has skills that go up to level 55 (although some skills go up to level 90.. good luck with that)

Thanks for the update.  I only have a general knowledge based on info I get over time from friends here and there.  I have not made a point to follow it much since it is still a ways away before it is released.  It may have been that at the time of my info the level cap was 50 and it has since been raised.  I don't know.  The point being made, which still stands true, is that once you get to level cap the exp gain slows down considerably.  And yes, although it is subjective, I think many posters would agree that taking twenty days to gain a level could be considered a devastating grind.  Especially with the current player demographic.  And that's only from 55 to 56.  If there is an increase of XP needed to be gained with every succeeding level, then it will obviously take longer as we increase in levels.  I think it is also a given that gear does play a factor, otherwise why even have gear with stats in the first place.  That said, every bit of updated info received from people currently playing as the game progresses through its alpha and beta stages is helpful and good to hear.  The game appears to be coming along really well.  Its NA release can't come soon enough for me.

That's just it though, there's no reason to sit and grind endlessly for additional levels, you should just play the game naturally.. get gear, fish, hunt, craft, gather, do trade runs, breed horses, grow things, etc. Once you hit the soft cap the benefits to the extra levels are very very small. At level 55 you could easily kill someone who was level 58 if you were equally geared and skilled. I think the idea of there being no level cap is more for when they DO increase levels, all the exp you gained isn't being lost. I think it's better to think of the soft cap is the hard cap and any other levels you get are just a bonus.

tl;dr - The game has no level cap, but the content that is provided most definitely does.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I haven't played BDO because I am generally the type of person that prefers to wait for the live release.  That said, I have friends that do and let them tell it, the unlimited levels are not a problem.  Reason being is that once you get to level 50 the exp gain comes becomes a devastating grind.  So that in essence it is sort of a level cap, although there is a bit of exp gain still happening.  In other words, once you reach level 50, you can literally just forget about exp and play the game.  At some point, after you've played the game for a very long time, you may well ding level 51.  But that one level wont really much make a difference because the game is more so skill based, than it is level based.

Let me just correct this misinformation.. Currently 55 is the soft cap, the only think limiting additional level progression is the lack of high level monsters. It took me about 2-3 hours of grinding to go from 50-51, however, 55-56 you may get 5-10% per day depending on how dedicated you are. Yes the game is skill based, but it's also gear based. Once I hit 51 I spent most of my time trying to figure out all the ways that I could make silver (there are a lot of them!) Testing out new grind spots, leveling/breeding horses, doing trade runs, fishing etc. I progressed from 51-56 naturally by just farming for items and grinding skill points (which also have a soft cap). Currently, every profession has skills that go up to level 55 (although some skills go up to level 90.. good luck with that)

Thanks for the update.  I only have a general knowledge based on info I get over time from friends here and there.  I have not made a point to follow it much since it is still a ways away before it is released.  It may have been that at the time of my info the level cap was 50 and it has since been raised.  I don't know.  The point being made, which still stands true, is that once you get to level cap the exp gain slows down considerably.  And yes, although it is subjective, I think many posters would agree that taking twenty days to gain a level could be considered a devastating grind.  Especially with the current player demographic.  And that's only from 55 to 56.  If there is an increase of XP needed to be gained with every succeeding level, then it will obviously take longer as we increase in levels.  I think it is also a given that gear does play a factor, otherwise why even have gear with stats in the first place.  That said, every bit of updated info received from people currently playing as the game progresses through its alpha and beta stages is helpful and good to hear.  The game appears to be coming along really well.  Its NA release can't come soon enough for me.

That's just it though, there's no reason to sit and grind endlessly for additional levels, you should just play the game naturally.. get gear, fish, hunt, craft, gather, do trade runs, breed horses, grow things, etc. Once you hit the soft cap the benefits to the extra levels are very very small. At level 55 you could easily kill someone who was level 58 if you were equally geared and skilled. I think the idea of there being no level cap is more for when they DO increase levels, all the exp you gained isn't being lost. I think it's better to think of the soft cap is the hard cap and any other levels you get are just a bonus.

tl;dr - The game has no level cap, but the content that is provided most definitely does.

I agree wholeheartedly.  It was exactly my point in my initial post.  I don't mind long grinds.  I prefer them.  I have never in the entirety of my MMO playing days used any type of exp bonus.  I enjoy a journey in my MMORPGs and like to earn my way to the top.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Megaservers are so horrible for MMO communities, but since this game has abandoned such things, I guess it doesn't matter.

Hard pass.

Megaservers are the best thing ever for any MMO.

Anchovies are the best food ever.

The sky is green.

Duke Nukem Forever was the best pc game ever made.

Cocaine is good for you.

See the pattern here? Just because you say it does not make it true. Back it up with something. Everyone who said megaservers are bad for MMOs explained their rationale, you just spit out a generic statement.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Yet another modern day MMO which refuses to address community. Megaserver and solo centric play....no thanks.

What do you mean refuses to address community? Community is something players create.

Thats it in a nut shell. I find if you go back to an MMO a year after launch even the worst games have set up a community. Question is what type of people the game will bring in will be a big part of what kind of community. Sometimes I miss my EQ and DAoC days when I think of rich depth in a online community. =-) Solo sided games that dont require teaming often dose not seem to make the best communities but who knows its really a crap shoot now days lol

That has been my experience as well. What i find boggling are these folks who constantly go on and on about having nothing to play, yet then you see the same folks writing things like the above, you realize, they don't give anything a chance, don't do thing one in regard to forming a like-minded in-game community, yet expect people to understand when they go off on their rants about being left behind.

This is the biggest fallacy I see here, in SWG we created our own community of like minded players, we formed an alliance of guilds out of it. The imperials had a similar group within their ranks, we duked it out for years. That had nothing to do with game systems... ALl we needed was those players and the ability to interact. What's missing today are those willing to put in the work to build those things, it took a lot of time and effort.

You people are seriously dense. You are using SWG....an old school sandbox game which promoted community with its design....to a solo centric game with a megaserver?! Seriously? This is your argument againt my point? Wow.

My point was what we created had nothing much to do with the game's design, it has also lasted much longer than SWG did as a game, as well as has been carried over to other games, sandbox or not.

IF you were never part of building a real community, I could understand not knowing what that really means. What does a megaserver have to do with what I said?I asked you what you meant, gave a reason why i feel as I do, get insulted... Nice idea of what it means to debate you have there.

You still don't get it, it has everything to do with game design. SWG's design is what made creating that community possible. Players must still build the community, but they need the tools and/or freedom to do so. In SWG group play was encouraged, interaction was encourgeed. Hell look at the cantinas, they are the epitome of a tool specifically designed to foster a sense of community. So not only does Black Desert not have tools like this, but they have anti-community features. With a megaserver you will NEVER build a community like SWG had, never. It is simply impossible. If you believe it is please explain how. Community exists outside of your friends and your guild.

And btw, I was part of the SWG community, and the UO, EQ, and DAOC, communities as well. So I too know a thing or two about it, seriously...why do you think I am so passionate about this topic?

How do you have a community when everyone is in a different random server cluster? When the majority of players are grinding through content which was designed for solo play? When player interaction is not encouraged at all? When you will never be with the same people outside of your guild every time you log in?

I did not insult you. Dense meaning you are so stuck on your thought you were not truly thinking about mine, clearly. When you use an example of the very design I believe in to argue with me you clearly are not paying attention. Perhaps I used the wrong word, it was not intended as an insult.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

There are so many good posts in this thread.  Many of them taking the words right out from under me but I really wanted to highlight this post and maybe piggy back on thoughts that I've had along these lines.

Why is it that OWPvPers want to play an MMORPG like an FPS game when there are so many fantastic FPS and MOBA games that offer exactly what they seek?  For the record, I like OWPvP.  My buddies and I spend countless hours enjoying OWPvP in games like Team Fortress, Call of Duty, Doom, Dead Island, Halo etc.  I just don't like "forced" OWPvP in my MMORPGs.  My buddies even refuse to PvP in MMORPGs.  They call it  "little league" and to put it mildly "cowardly PvP" (don't want to offend anyone so won't type what they really say).

I think most, if not all, OWPvPers know this.  There are tons of outstanding PvP FPS game out there and yet these so-call "hardcore PvPers" come to an MMORPG to get their PvP fix.  That wouldn't be so bad if once they got there they wouldn't start complaining about hating quests, hating levels, hating RP, hating grinds for gear, hating crafting, hating .... well, you get the point.  I mean, they hate everything that makes an MMORPG an MMORPG!  Their perfect MMORPG is one that is OW and has "forced" PvP so they can just jump into and start PvPing and ganking right away.  And if they can make it to where they can take all of your stuff after ganking you (full loot), well, so much the better.

So this brings me to my point, and the one Azaron and Octagon make in their posts.  These so called OWPvPers aren't looking for challenging PvP.  They aren't hardcore at all.  What they seek is sheep to gank and victimize.  They don't even want the PvP to be consensual.  They want the "forced" OWPvP variety.  And since there is a healthy dosage of sheep in MMORPGs, this is where they come.  Because if they really wanted hardcore, challenging, PvP .. that they could just jump into and start kicking butt and taking names, avoiding all of the so-called "carebearish" functions that make an MMORPG .. they wouldn't be trying to PvP in an MMORPG.  They would be were the big boys are  ... in those "hardcore" FPS PvP games.

[mod edit]

That one hit the spot, didn't it?  It was meant to.  The truth hurts sometimes.  Let's face it, OWPvP in an MMORPG is all about ganking.  The predominant thrill is either about stalking and jumping an unsuspecting player, or a desire to seize an advantage over a player who is either already engaged in fighting an NPC mob (which is rather cowardly), or a desire to grief a player who is already engaged in PvE activities and not interested in fighting at all.  Anyone who denies any of that is simply not being honest with themselves. 

• BanyoHDBanyoHD Member UncommonPosts: 32
    The more information that gets revealed about this game makes it more and more clear that this is not a game for me. As DM earlier mentioned it may not be a bad thing since the game is looking to be primarily focused on solo gameplay. Ehat worries me a lot more is that the game has shifted its focus from PVP to PVE in such a short period of time. After hearing from one of the Korean players that the game lacks any true challenge in PVE is very worrying. I doubt this game will gather any true following a few months after release.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Let's face it, OWPvP in an MMORPG is all about ganking.  The predominant thrill is either about stalking and jumping an unsuspecting player, or a desire to seize an advantage over a player who is either already engaged in fighting an NPC mob (which is rather cowardly), or a desire to grief a player who is already engaged in PvE activities and not interested in fighting at all.  Anyone who denies any of that is simply not being honest with themselves. 

Undoubtedly that is one aspect of OWPVP games, but there is also the excitement that comes from being in a world with a real sense of danger, and the more directly personal feeling you get from being killed by other players as opposed to mobs.

I have a feeling that the guild warfare in this game is going to be hardcore when it gets released in the west, I am still not seeing how this has become a "casual" or "pve" game; although it looks like there will be ways for players who don't particularly like pvp to enjoy themselves, which is probably one of the things the devs are shooting for.

Originally posted by YashaX

Let's face it, OWPvP in an MMORPG is all about ganking.  The predominant thrill is either about stalking and jumping an unsuspecting player, or a desire to seize an advantage over a player who is either already engaged in fighting an NPC mob (which is rather cowardly), or a desire to grief a player who is already engaged in PvE activities and not interested in fighting at all.  Anyone who denies any of that is simply not being honest with themselves. 

Undoubtedly that is one aspect of OWPVP games, but there is also the excitement that comes from being in a world with a real sense of danger, and the more directly personal feeling you get from being killed by other players as opposed to mobs.

I have a feeling that the guild warfare in this game is going to be hardcore when it gets released in the west, I am still not seeing how this has become a "casual" or "pve" game; although it looks like there will be ways for players who don't particularly like pvp to enjoy themselves, which is probably one of the things the devs are shooting for.

You're right.  I'd just like to clarify that what I was referring to was "non-consensual" OWPvP.  There is obviously nothing wrong with OWPvP if it is consensual.  And if you enjoy the excitement that comes from being in a world with a real sense of danger of being ganked, then consenting to PvP in an OWPvP is absolutely your right.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

You still don't get it, it has everything to do with game design. SWG's design is what made creating that community possible. Players must still build the community, but they need the tools and/or freedom to do so. In SWG group play was encouraged, interaction was encourgeed. Hell look at the cantinas, they are the epitome of a tool specifically designed to foster a sense of community. So not only does Black Desert not have tools like this, but they have anti-community features. With a megaserver you will NEVER build a community like SWG had, never. It is simply impossible. If you believe it is please explain how. Community exists outside of your friends and your guild.

And btw, I was part of the SWG community, and the UO, EQ, and DAOC, communities as well. So I too know a thing or two about it, seriously...why do you think I am so passionate about this topic?

How do you have a community when everyone is in a different random server cluster? When the majority of players are grinding through content which was designed for solo play? When player interaction is not encouraged at all? When you will never be with the same people outside of your guild every time you log in?

I did not insult you. Dense meaning you are so stuck on your thought you were not truly thinking about mine, clearly. When you use an example of the very design I believe in to argue with me you clearly are not paying attention. Perhaps I used the wrong word, it was not intended as an insult.

Unfortunately its one of the biggest problems with games that use Megaserver technology, it does help keep player numbers relatively stable in each instance, but its very much a fluid thing, meaning the more populated the game is, the less likely you are to ever encounter the same people  on a daily basis,  if anything that would actually encourage a more dissociative form of gameplay, as players would have little cause, or chance for that matter,  to make much effort to befriend people, than would otherwise be the case if they encountered them on a more regular basis.

On the other hand, its a lot cheaper to run megaservers than it is to run dedicated ones, particularly if the game in question has limitations which involve the amount of players that can be supported in any given area at any given time.image

• MakNevMakNev Member UncommonPosts: 26
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    YAY?
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by Rarius
    hahaha failed before it even launched.

I will be very entertained if it does better than all the full loot PvP trash that you people want it to be.

...Which isn't really that hard to achieve at the end of the day. image

You mean the fact that Pearl Abyss talked about Black Desert being an open world PvP game from Sept 2012, and they even had several closed betas with open PvP mechanics, and then comes open beta and they did a 180 and changed Into a PvE game....

None of that has anything to do with people thinking this was a PvP game

Yeah nothing at all :)

This is super disappointing to me. Casuals got their way again.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by bentrim
    [mod edit]

No need to be so hostile. I wouldn't say the OW PvP community is small, or else games like Crowfall / CU wouldn't really exist. Heck DAoC wouldn't really still be going. Heh.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

PVP centric games make less money.  Look at Archeage, Mortal Online and Darkfall.  Eve with its fairly safe empire space is the biggest pvp-centered MMO out there and it has not come close to 500k in subbers while games like Aion, Lineage, TOR and WoW get millions.  It is no wonder the company decided to change directions.

Open World PVP is overrated.  It is mainly an excuse to run around and kill people 10 levels lower than yourself.  Finding a fair fight or just a "good" fight is almost impossible as the people you meet are either higher or lower or running in packs.  I'm not a big fan of themeparks but I find the PVP in games like WoW and ToR much more fun since I have a chance to win and have much better luck finding a good fight with an equally leveled player.

Another issue with PvP focused games in that they are heavily gear based which acts as a barrier to new players later in the games life.  I have heard new players who have left Eve because they dont feel they can be competitive unless they play for a few years.  Imagine the gear level in Archeage in another year or two.  Those players have had years to get to that point but new players will be crushed for a long time as they try and grind out the gear.  And before someone says it, yes gear does matter in these games.  Go jump in Archeage and get two-shotted in the arena and then see how you feel about gear-based pvp.

I know most of you in this thread are PVP-focused and wont agree but based on the subscriber evidence, if I were making an MMO, I would not make it PVP focused.  There is less money in it and you get a much more vocal and hostile community.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Originally posted by Heretique
    Originally posted by bentrim
    [mod edit]

No need to be so hostile. I wouldn't say the OW PvP community is small, or else games like Crowfall / CU wouldn't really exist. Heck DAoC wouldn't really still be going. Heh.

DAoC isn't OW PvP (The frontiers are separate from the rest of the world) and Crowfall and CU don't exist yet.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

Players can no longer PK under level 50 even if they are war with that enemy guild.

rip pvp?

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by saurus123

Players can no longer PK under level 50 even if they are war with that enemy guild.

rip pvp?

If it very quick to get to 50 and the levelling from 1-50 is essentially just a tutorial, with the actual game really starting from level 50 then it shouldn't make much difference.

Much depends on how the game is set up. In a traditional themepark game a large part of the game is levelling, and levelling quests drive players through zones and typically most end game players congregate in a few places (towns/end level zones). Owpvp restricted to level cap in that scenario would take out a lot of the "sandbox" element that owpvp brings to a game.

However, if the game itself is set up to be non-linear, with an emphasis on "doing stuff" (like trade/crafting/exploration) that takes people through various zones at level cap, the owpvp system should work even if its restricted to players at level cap.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

rip pvp?

aww poor pvpers now whatever will they do? they wont be able to gank lowbies that have no chance against them. there goes 95% of their fights.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Ecoces

rip pvp?

aww poor pvpers now whatever will they do? they wont be able to gank lowbies that have no chance against them. there goes 95% of their fights.

I thought this was the next big sandbox game? Not that 'kill anyone anywhere' defines that, but a change like the one mentioned by Ecoces indicates that shipping, transporting and even regional economies doesn't exist in this game. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AureljusAureljus Member UncommonPosts: 10

Great to see game focusing on PvE, rather than PvP.

No luck for PvP communities, well, I mean those people that enjoys killing or should I say ganking lower level/skilled/ungeared people - and forcing them to quit the game. :) Which later on will be noticed in population going lower and lower... 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by danwest58

"Cash shop" with B2P

Well not even going to consider this game with there being any cash shop.  I played AA and the Cash Shop there helps players regrade their gear, as well as help players craft faster because of LP Pots.  Sorry but if you can use your wallet for any Advantage I do not want to play.  

based on your signature, you purchased XIV, pay the subscription to play it, and it has a cash shop. You killed the point you were trying to make.

Also, i didnt know Black Desert was B2P, ive only heard that it was going to be Free to Play. If it is B2P then im more interested in it, as long as the cash shop is decent and not a pay wall.