Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Knights of the Fallen Empire expansions details on Dulfy.net

(Updated with the official website link)

http://www.swtor.com/fallen-empire/home

Dulfy's posted some great info on the new expansion. (Largely the same stuff as MikeB did here, but with a couple of new images to go with it.)

http://dulfy.net/2015/06/14/swtor-knights-of-the-fallen-empire-leaked-expansion-details/

You know, the expansion's giving me the idea that this is Bioware's version of a clean slate, hence the whole starting at level 60 thing.

"A man can have anything… If he’s willing to sacrifice everything. Step into an epic story-driven adventure as your character becomes The Outlander, a veteran of the Great Galactic War. A third faction threatens the galaxy as we know it, and your choices will determine the fate of both the Sith Empire and Galactic Republic. Knights of the Fallen Empire includes the first nine chapters, fueled by BioWare-style cinematic storytelling, that kicks off a new player-driven story arc that puts you at the center of a conflict where your choices have impact on outcomes including unexpected twists and betrayals. Choose your path…join or betray companions, old and new…and shape the future of the entire galaxy as well as your own. Best of all, this is only the beginning…"

It also seems like a great deal will be changing judging on that line about betraying companions "old and new". Maybe they're scrapping the unpopular ones that no one uses, and focusing on the popular ones going forth. (They've already done this with SoR to a large degree, where only people's favorites companions got new dialogue, while some like Skadge got skipped completely.)

I'm also guessing there will be a chance to revisit your existing romance, à la Mass Effect 2 and 3.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Comments

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    What are the probabilities of a new game engine in this massive expansion?
  • AudoucetAudoucet Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Wow, I just came back to SWTOR, like I do every  six months for a few weeks, and I find that, is that some kind of fake ?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Audoucet
    is that some kind of fake ?

Nope, in fact the leaked info is no longer necessary. The actual official website is up now. image

http://www.swtor.com/fallen-empire/home

Enjoy!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Holy frack, I wonder how in hell did they succeed in convincing the investors in doing something so much surprising !
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Whats new gameplay wise with this expansion?

I dont really care much about story. I want gameplay.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Maybe it's just me, but recent MMO expansions seem really lackluster now.

When i think of expansions, i think of multiple new zones full of new mobs, quests, items, etc.  I think of new dungeons/raids, classes, races, etc.  There is actual progression too.

From what we know so far, this swtor expansion is only offering nine story chapters and several companions.

Originally posted by observer

Maybe it's just me, but recent MMO expansions seem really lackluster now.

When i think of expansions, i think of multiple new zones full of new mobs, quests, items, etc.  I think of new dungeons/raids, classes, races, etc.  There is actual progression too.

From what we know so far, this swtor expansion is only offering nine story chapters and several companions.

There will be new planets as well. Just gotta stay tuned, they're not going to reveal it all at once.

Judging by the look of the site they'll be going with an approach similar to Dragon Age Inquisition, where they release new info in bits and pieces over the coming months leading up to the expansion.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I think thats the first CGI cinematic they've used since launch so that tells me they're serious about this one.  Emphasizing the lightsaber and jedi is a smart choice since that's what attracts most people to Star Wars.  

What would really be great is if they threw out the rage mechanic and made warriors/knights use force power in the same way as assassins/shadows.  I'm sure there's going to be a skill tree revamp so hopefully they'll make some good changes.

If the "choices matter" means multiple endings/outcomes to the stories,  it'll finally be what the game should have been from the start.  It'd be great if you could choose to drop a companion you didn't like for one of the new ones.  They make it sound like they changed the current class stories too but that remains to be seen.

I'm also wondering if the "Sky Trooper" is a new class.  Even if it isn't, now's definitely a good time to add a new class.  That would definitely reel in alot of old players.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• ArtwolfArtwolf Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Let's be real for a minute - trailers were never an issue for Bioware/SWTOR. My question is will the game still run terribly?
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Precusor

Agreed. That game engine is something awful. Keeps me from wanting to play this game again.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

I startet to loose interest when the empire and republic became allies. In that sense 2.0 was for me a far better expansion than 3.0,  even though I never realy liked Makeb as a planet.  I had hoped the next expansion would return to a republic v empire conflict,  but instead we get another shared factionstory,  if they even still can be called that.  We might not have factions anymore.  By the sound of it the empire and the republic have been destroyed..

The story might be good,  that's not the issue, but killing off the republic and the sith empire is that realy a good idea ? If this new empire is supposed to be the new bad guy, do dark side players get the option to join this new empire while light side players form a new republic or are we all just outlanders kept outside any faction to make it easier for bioware to provide a single shared story for all ?

I'm hoping the first is the case and we build a new repuclic and a new empire,  but I fear the second is the case. To me star wars is about the empire versus the republic,  without that it's just not the same. 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by ThomasN7

Agreed. That game engine is something awful. Keeps me from wanting to play this game again.

Nothing stated as of yet.  Some people are hoping it might be happening behind the scenes.

If the new Empire, like the revanites, rejects the Sith & Jedi philosophys, it makes sense that even dark siders would fight it.

Anyway I'm happy for now, I don't play theme-parks for the multiplayer raids & flashpoints anymore. I just play SWTOR as an evolutive solo game. 

• vladko92vladko92 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I have a feeling that soon something about the Engine might be done, we all know how awful it is, and Bioware and EA developers claimed so themselves, they said and I quote (more or less) "It looked good on paper"... "but wasn't what we expected", or something like that :) I am pretty sure I heard it in one of those Q&A threads (where the reporter contacts with BIOWARE developer and they answer his questions). I think their excuse for not changing the engine yet, was that they have contract and they can do nothing about it. So people thought that when the contract ends, may be the engine will finally be renewed. So far I have no idea what is happening and didn't followed any news around SWTOR,  except the latest for the new expansion and the 12x Story Quest Experience... but I didn't read anywhere that there will be changes in the engine either with this new expansion, but seems like our story progress will be completely reset and we will start a completely new, fresh story from level 60... sounds fishy... may be something bigger will happen with the starting of this new expansion.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Did Bioware change their mind so soon about the cost? Ive been hearing a lot of media outlets misleading people saying that the expansion is free for everyone. The announcer at the EA press conference clearly said its free for subcribers only.

Originally posted by vladko92
    but seems like our story progress will be completely reset and we will start a completely new, fresh story from level 60... sounds fishy... may be something bigger will happen with the starting of this new expansion.

Not true:

(Source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8256270#edit8256270)

Hey folks!

Seeing all of the discussion around our Knights of the Fallen Empire announcement has been awesome! It means a lot to the writing team to see how much y’all care about the details of the story and characters of SWTOR, and all of the insightful questions and debates that flow from that. I’m here to hopefully shed a bit of light on a few of the most common questions I’ve seen.

Up front, I think the best answer I can give to any story question is that it’s always best to wait and see how the story itself will answer it. I personally just hate giving out spoilers, so I won’t be doing that here. I promise, the main storyline of KOTFE is all about the things y’all have been asking, and October is going to be here very soon. In the meantime, though, let’s see if we can’t at least clarify a couple of things now:

• The Outlander: your character’s past will be a key part of their identity as the Outlander moving forward. The choices you’ve made, romances you’ve pursued, your class, etc are all a part of who your character is, and those decisions will be honored in KOTFE; often in unexpected ways. How that works for characters who are created at level 60 is something we’ll dive into in the future, but we will not be setting a “canon” version of any class or world storyline. Your choices matter – that’s at the heart of our storytelling philosophy at BioWare.
    •  
    • Companions: there’s a ton of stuff going on with companions in this release, and we’re not ready to dive into most of it just yet. What I can say is that past companions will return in the story, sometimes as very critical parts of the overall story shared by all Outlanders. Which classes can recruit which characters, who can be romanced, who can you kill and who might betray you? You’ll have to play and see  Finally, I’ve seen a lot of people referencing the KOTFE page’s character list as a list of companions – not everyone on that list will become a companion, and not every companion in the story is included in that list.
    •  
    • Valkorion: who is this guy? What happened to that other Emperor? Aren’t they both actually Jadus, who’s secretly Kephess, who’s actually a mutated clone of Kai Zykken created by Fez Burba for the Star Cabal’s secret war against the Shroud? OK, so I actually haven’t seen that theory, but IT’S ALL TRUE TELL EVERYONE BEFORE IT’S TOO LA----

[Charles had to take a few days off to relax, but he’ll be back in time to answer more questions at our Community Cantina event at San Diego Comic Con next month! - Musco]

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I think you have a bigger chance at world peace.

I wish the current SWTOR players all luck, for me it failed with the severe limitations of the game engine and the fact that you have no freedom with all the invisible walls and the linear themepark zones. Plus it did not feel like Star Wars at all to me.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Gorwe
    This expansion scares me. I have a VERY BAD feeling about it for whatever reason. Maybe I'm just scared of unknown? /shrug

Hopefully it'll turn out to be the latter. image

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Corvusco
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by ThomasN7

Nothing stated as of yet.  Some people are hoping it might be happening behind the scenes.

That seems like a "really-pretty-much-non-existent-long-shot" . Something like this would be huge and since we are talking about EA, this is what they would have shown or at least brag about.

It's E3, the place/time when the whole world is watching. Why announce something that big only after?

Not to mention at this point changing engines would be akin to changing consoles.  That would be like the ex pack to Dragon Age Inquisition coming out on PS5, or IOS after only being on Android.  They'd have to literally write code from scratch and redesign from the ground up, it would never ever happen, and after the years of optimization it doesn't need to happen.

Literally like asking if you could change the sky to red because you're tired of blue, simply insanely impossible.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    This expansion scares me. I have a VERY BAD feeling about it for whatever reason. Maybe I'm just scared of unknown? /shrug

I'm currently not a big fan of where the endgame is at the moment, so I'm optimistic.  I'm especially liking what they're saying about companions.  Sounds like I'm finally going to have a bit of a say over who the hell is on my ship.  Out the airlock you go, Skadge...

Originally posted by Robsolf

I'm currently not a big fan of where the endgame is at the moment, so I'm optimistic.  I'm especially liking what they're saying about companions.  Sounds like I'm finally going to have a bit of a say over who the hell is on my ship.  Out the airlock you go, Skadge...

They mentioned that some companions will betray us, it wouldn't surprise me if Skadge was one of them. (Which would give us the excuse to shoot him the face. image)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

They mentioned that some companions will betray us, it wouldn't surprise me if Skadge was one of them. (Which would give us the excuse to shoot him the face. image)

It'll be interesting to see how they do it.  My first thought is that they'll set it by your affection ratings; but what if you're one of those crazy players that got all your companions up to 10k?  image   Maybe you'll get the option to convince them to come back, I suppose?

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

It'll be interesting to see how they do it.  My first thought is that they'll set it by your affection ratings; but what if you're one of those crazy players that got all your companions up to 10k?  image   Maybe you'll get the option to convince them to come back, I suppose?

That'd be a nice way of going about it, but I suspect it'll be more scripted than that. I think you'll have the option to take them back though, or to kill them once and for all. (Or simply tell them to GTFO and that you never want to see their ugly mugs again. :P)

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

It was never difficult to do. The cheap gifts take you halfway for a reasonably small credit investment, questing can fill about 2k with the right dialogue, and Belsavis dailies with dialogue options fill the rest. Late-game companions like SCORPIO are scaled to receive about 1.2K rep per day of dailies with the right choices, but long-term starter companions like Kaliyo only get around 500 rep a day. If you stick with a character for any moderate length of time they're pretty easy to max affection.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    The overemphasis on story and tons of voice overs was part of why the game cost so much and was a disappointment to the bean counters.  Kind of surprised by this change