Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The one thing i didn't like about gw2

johnismejohnisme Member UncommonPosts: 110

The thing i didn't like was that you were always set to the level of any area you were questing,i know that if the higher level players came to a low level area and killed all the mobs that it would make it very hard for the lower level players to get any experience.

The thing that it does is that you always need to be in groups even to finish low level dungeons,i just wished they could have an option to do an instance at a high level(80) and do it at the what ever instance level it was meant to be(30).

It wouldn't hurt anything in the economy where the drops would be low level.

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I see

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by johnisme

The thing i didn't like was that you were always set to the level of any area you were questing,i know that if the higher level players came to a low level area and killed all the mobs that it would make it very hard for the lower level players to get any experience.

The thing that it does is that you always need to be in groups even to finish low level dungeons,i just wished they could have an option to do an instance at a high level(80) and do it at the what ever instance level it was meant to be(30).

But then that trivializes content.  I thought people wanted challenges?  It's actually possible to solo those dungeons though if you know what you're doing, but don't expect to steamroll through them.  I'm all for solo play, but there needs to be a balance between trivialization and challenges.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

First play the game, then comment.

Never had any problem getting XP on my 16 characters. SO instead "theoretical" actuall try the game.

And you can solo dungeons. But yeah, you need skill unstead gear crutch.

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673

There was a hell of a lot I disliked about this game, but it can be summed up by all the good design choices in GW1 that were lost in GW2, and all the bad design choices that replaced them.  

The arbitrary reduction in level to suit zones works in some games and not in others (IMO). In this game it felt a little like it devalued the levelling experience... and the reason for that is that the game seemed to suit a progression system other than traditional levels (much like in GW1 with the story, aesthetic unlocks, skill caps, achievements...). It always felt like a bit of a kick in the face that they undid this design choice from GW1 and replaced it in GW2 with a generic, traditional levelling experience, which was then rendered meaningless by the arbitrary alteration of levels to suit zones.  

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I liked that system besides a few problems like the old Queensdale champ train (that eventually got fixed).

Personally would I have prefered a far lower power gap between new players and vets instead but this is still far more logical than the usual MMO style where you in one zone easily can beat a dragon while you in other zones will get killed by a normal animal.

I am bloody tired of games where people can suck so badly that they most outlevel any encounter until it is insanely easy to beat it. Time to learn to play better instead.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i like this.. it makes going to lowbie zones less of a drag. it also opens up the possibility for future events that can be done and enjoyed by everyone.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

I really dont like the debuff/buff system

Makes every class basically the same as every class to some degree just buffs/debuffs the same way as everyone else

GW1 classes felt way more unique :(

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

huh?

Most of the dungeons can be soloed (if u know what you're doing). It just takes a lot longer.

Also there are very few things in the game that you actually need to be grouped for. Nearly everything you do gets shared automatically with those around you.

The one exception being the starter zones, in which a lvl 80 can 1shot all the enemies, because the downscaling doesn't properly account for gear above the quality of that lvl range (exotics / ascended), nor the stats you currently get from traits. The later of which is actually being changed as I type this.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I never understood why people complained about level scaling in this game. With fast travel/waypoints it's not like you have to run through lower level zones to get anywhere. If your re-visiting lower level zones I would assume it's to help friends or for events... Ide say the level scaling helps more than hurts. Your still much more powerful than regular low levels but not so much that your trivializing the content or ruining anyone else's experience.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Better players still solo dungeons. Not every dungeon has 5-man mechanic. Bosses are dodgeable if you know the tells. For instance there is personal record for soloing Ascalonian Catacombs, same for Arah and various others. :) 

Sorry but to me it sounds like a learn to play issue :U no offense.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

GW2 is my favorite mmo.  But it is a themepark not a sandbox. 

I love that Anet does a lot of things RIGHT where all the other mmo companies failed.  But it is a themepark.  So yeah, I agree with you.  Nor am I angry at anyone who tries GW2 and leaves dissatisfied.  I have an idea of the kind of mmo I would make and it would not have levels.  It would imitate an EA sims game but with a medieval / steam punk setting.  And it wouldn't look anything like GW2.

Do note that level zones are not really restrictive considering about five days in WvW EotM climbs your character from level 1 - 80.  So no one really bothers with staying low level (anything under 80) for long.  Kind of an incentive to run the WvW EotM raid thingy.  And there is Dynamic Level Adjustment to compensate that we can zip up to high lvl fast I suppose.

PS - GW2 dungeons sucky lag fests.  I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.  Way to stressful and that's on their easy mode.  I want to relax and have fun when I play.  Not throw my PC out my window and stomp over to my console.  People who claim they can easily solo dungeons at a low levels without any complex planning are trolling.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

That does not happen so there is no problem here.

You can solo dungeons, it just takes more then run in, spam group agro and aoe attacks+loot like in other games.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

PS - GW2 dungeons sucky lag fests.  I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.  Way to stressful and that's on their easy mode.  I want to relax and have fun when I play.  Not throw my PC out my window and stomp over to my console.  People who claim they can easily solo dungeons at a low levels without any complex planning are trolling.

Arah path 2 is easy. And it nets you 3g. The only real challenge is Giganticus Lupicus, but everybody and their dog can solo him by now...

Granted I pull those stunts with a warrior but I don't see why it wouldn't be done with other professions. 

Also I didn't understand the "lag fest" term, could you make it any clearer? If you mean FPS, i get top fps in dungeons o.O Maybe its your PC that is a potato? 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

All the GW2 dungeons in explorer mode are for level 80s with good equipment. Ignore any lower level req you see in some of them.

Story mode dungeons can be done at the level requirement, but you need decent gear/build.

A high level player in a lower level area, with good build/equipment just destroys mobs, downlevel or not.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

All the GW2 dungeons in explorer mode are for level 80s with good equipment. Ignore any lower level req you see in some of them.

Story mode dungeons can be done at the level requirement, but you need decent gear/build.

A high level player in a lower level area, with good build/equipment just destroys mobs, downlevel or not.

I wouldn't go that far.  The only reason the lower level explorable dungeons are for level 80s is because most groups are 80s that like to farm them and they don't like lower level players.

Back before there were tomes of knowledge to level with, I used to level partially through dungeons.  If you're around the same level, they are completely doable.  AC for instance is a very easy dungeon on all paths if you know what you're doing as long as you meet the minimum 35 level requirement to enter.

Being 80 is easier.. simply because you've already gotten all of your traits and so forth, but its not tough even if you're missing half of them. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've leveled about 8 characters and never had a problem with higher level characters in lower level zones.  i actually like it as it allows me to hang out in my favorite areas of the game and do dynamic events, as I really like the story in some of them. I'm not confined to only end-game areas.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

I couldn't stand the combat.  Made it to like level 30 or so.

The fact that you only had 5 (6 maybe?) skills is pretty piss-poor. 

The rationale is "yeah but you have options for weapons".  Cool, I found my weapon I want to use...guess what?  I have to use the same skills for 60 more levels and beyond.

Wildstar did this so much better in terms of a limited hotbar system.  You have way more skills available, can make your own build, and can choose which levels of each individual skill you want to unlock.

I may not be able to change weapons in wildstar, but I don't need to, because I STILL have more options for skills with one weapon and a limited hotbar setup than is possible in gw2.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by Malabooga

First play the game, then comment.

Never had any problem getting XP on my 16 characters. SO instead "theoretical" actuall try the game.

And you can solo dungeons. But yeah, you need skill unstead gear crutch.

I stopped reading here....cause it's the only thing that makes sense as a reply.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Sorry OP, I don't understand your first sentence. If a level 80 comes and kills all the mobs in a starter area you don't get xp? 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Went back to playing  GW2 after a year or so off. The combat is not near as good as Firefall (which I have been playing). I went to the new (to me) level 80 area (found by accident) and there was some sort of a jumping puzzle to get into the area. This sort of thing belongs in Maplestory not Guildwars. Because of the down level system there are a lot of people leveling off of lower level areas (jumping from boss fight to boss fight). I can see why a lot of players miss the old GW1 system.