Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy a realm reborn.. I tried it my thoughts

PissedjediPissedjedi Member UncommonPosts: 31
So a few weeks ago I and a friend decided to try The realm Reborn Final Fantasy.  I was honestly looking forward to it. I mean I remember playing many of the original Final fantasy games as a young teen. And the idea of going into this world in an mmo considering I read so many positive reviews of its rebirth.  So I fired up the game... Decided to make a character and encountered the first cutscene. Then after that Cutscene was done.. I did a little more.. and another cut scene. Then did a little more.. and another cutscene. .. I was like.. Ok once I am done with this tutorial I will be in a true mmo space.. .. and encountered another cut scene. .. After 35 minutes of cut scenes.. I realized.. I didn't have the patience to continue.  I gave up. Lord knows I have played a ton of mmo's .. But goodness How many cut scenes must one endure in the tutorial area? Then once I was out of the tutorial.. the questing was so generic it was extremely frustrating.  How is it so many are willing to endure all that type of slow gameplay?

Comments

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    Level 1 - 10 is kind of the tutorial and introduction to MMORPGs for newcomers. It helps to be mindful of that and be patient. But for me, I enjoyed it because when I started I decided I was going to take my time and read all the quests and enjoy the environments, so it really fit my mood.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by Pissedjedi
    So a few weeks ago I and a friend decided to try The realm Reborn Final Fantasy.  I was honestly looking forward to it. I mean I remember playing many of the original Final fantasy games as a young teen. And the idea of going into this world in an mmo considering I read so many positive reviews of its rebirth.  So I fired up the game... Decided to make a character and encountered the first cutscene. Then after that Cutscene was done.. I did a little more.. and another cut scene. Then did a little more.. and another cutscene. .. I was like.. Ok once I am done with this tutorial I will be in a true mmo space.. .. and encountered another cut scene. .. After 35 minutes of cut scenes.. I realized.. I didn't have the patience to continue.  I gave up. Lord knows I have played a ton of mmo's .. But goodness How many cut scenes must one endure in the tutorial area? Then once I was out of the tutorial.. the questing was so generic it was extremely frustrating.  How is it so many are willing to endure all that type of slow gameplay?

Good question. I have come back to the game multiple times but it just pulls me in enough to keep me coming back, not stay. The cutscene thing is only in the beginning and during some of the main story, but the terrible questing is there the entire ride. The only saving grace I can give you is if you buy the new expansion you get double experience in the main quest to where you don't have to do the stupid fetch quests.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • BK2O1BK2O1 Member UncommonPosts: 91

When I decided to start playing ffxiv one thing I made sure to tell myself was to watch all the cutscenes and read everything. Even if I didn't think the story was good, I was going to see it through. So many players just click through everything in every mmo. A lot of the quests are bland, so I mainly do just the story, unless a quest gives some good rewards. However I do like the little differences in the way they present the quests to the player, like the chat bubble and interactions between the npc's and player. It's not just a box that pops up with a wall of text. It really helps me get into the story and world, even if it doesn't push any boundaries in design. 

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Um...Final Fantasy has always been about storytelling.  Sometimes it was amazing, sometimes it was crap (honestly, since FF IX, I thought the plots were a bit recycled).  There's plenty of gameplay content in the game, but to each their own.  I thought the excessive grinding at endgame to upgrade weapons and equipment was the worst part, personally, but there was some amazing story throughout the game.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

the first 10 levels are pretty dreadful for experienced players.. but from what i understand it's made for new players of the genre.

it does pick up after that though.. at least from what i can recall..

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    You need to step back and ask yourself, "Why am I complaining about cutscenes in a Final Fantasy game?"

<3

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    To think the cutscenes are the best part of the game too Oo.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Yeah the constant cutscenes added alot of illegitimacy to the game. It's fine if you want to put a storyline but don't force it on MMO players from 1 to max level, it's silly. SE doesn't seem to know how MMO's work.
  • japormsxjapormsx Member UncommonPosts: 51

My sentiments are similar to op's.i played at launch for a month.

here's some more, the game intentionally waste your time in the name of immersion. auction house, separarte system for putting stuff n buying stuffs. worst, you have to hire and click a retainer w/c involves several clicks everytime you want to sell stuffs,

fate quest- those collecting stuff have to be turned in tediously- always have to click the npc, click your item, click to say say yes and confirmed, etc etc. doing these hundreds of times a day can really be so boriiing.

but these are mostly personal complaints, since few of my buddies liked ffarr very much.

• CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113

The pacing in Final Fantasy XIV is very different from lots of other MMO's. It is slower and invests a lot more time in trying to teach you to play the game and your class in my opinion.

I have tried to play it twice, first time I only made level 10, second time I made level 48. After these two attempts I felt that you had to get to level 20-25 before the game and classes (jobs) started to get interesting. If you like the story, I didn't, then there is sure a lot of it to keep you interested and it weaves your character in and out of it.

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

I've said this before but.....ARR is a very good game, it's just not for everyone.  I played the CB, didn't sub right away but wound up subbing several months ago.  Joined a great guild, had a recruit-a-friend and all that from a very nice person on forums.  It's a beautifully executed game, perhaps the best MMO graphics I have ever seen, great music, and honestly I didn't mind the cut scenes.  However in some ways it is something of a departure from what you might be used to, even if you are a long-time FF fan. I didn't stay past about two months for several reasons, which I won't expound on here because I don't want to seem like I am bashing the game. *Shrugs*

I dunno OP, honestly it doesn't sound like you gave it an extended chance, but then again I have said many times that if a game doesn't grab me within the first hour of play, it probably won't grab me ever.  I say that because I have many years of gaming XP and understand what my preferences and limitations are.

ARR is a good one, for sure, and even though I don't play it I have told many people it's worth a look.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

You are certainly not the first person I've heard this from.  The tutorial quests that send you all over town are terrible and probably lose SE more customers than they help.  They really needed to have one of those help things come up asking if this was your first MMO, and if not then the run-around-town tutorial quests don't appear.

Also the first cutscene is one of the weakest in the game and is un-skip-able even if it's your 15th time watching it...

Ironically the 1.0 opening was much less bland and started you out with combat much quicker.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

The comparison I've used several times for this game is it's a single player JRPG in an MMO environment.  The story is a major focal point of the game, so naturally they're going to use a lot of dialogue and cutscenes to tell that story.  Some people like this and some don't.