Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Console mods?

BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
Anyone can add mods to console version? I just want to have the one tell you where the shards/books are..!!!

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by BalianWolfie
    Anyone can add mods to console version? I just want to have the one tell you where the shards/books are..!!!

Nope. That's one of the downsides of the console version. No mods.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Another reason the true gamers are on PC

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Nope. That's one of the downsides of the console version. No mods.

Or upside since you don't get any DPS meters that, in my opinion, always take a game the wrong way. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I miss my mods ;(

At least they added something like the lootdrop PC addon that shows you (too briefly but at least it shows it) what you just grabbed when you have auto-loot turned on.

But yeah... location mods... my research assistant that flags what items have traits I still need to research so I can quickly sell junk and keep what I need... my category inventory sorting add-on...

Mods on the PC definitely enhance the experience.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Sorry, there are no mods in the console version.  This is common knowledge though.  That's the biggest advantage playing a game on PC over a console.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

Sorry, there are no mods in the console version.  This is common knowledge though.  That's the biggest advantage playing a game on PC over a console.

Like some have said, it might not be a total disadvantage, since everyone is playing the same game. 

I wonder if curse will ever make something that works with consoles? It is such an untapped market.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Not gonna lie, I think this solely stopped me from actually buying the console version cuz I don't wanna look at a map of shards/books on my phone when I play on the console. Was so considering buying a copy, thanks for the info guys.

• ranileeranilee Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Thornrage

lol. im a "true gamer" because i prefer not to be helped. using mods make games easier. 

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I hope they will eventually add some as options. Like Skyshards / Lorebooks markers for example.
    Originally posted by ranilee

lol. im a "true gamer" because i prefer not to be helped. using mods make games easier. 

If by "easier" you mean less tedious, yeah mods make it easier. Hunting for skyshard following clues is only fun (if it ever really was) once. If you roll a second or third or fourth character because you want to try different builds and need those skyshards for the skill points they give you, you know you're going to google the damn location because the fun goes out of that part of the game pretty fast. That particular add-on just gets rid of the need to google it.

Then there is "research assistant" that flags items in your bank or inventory that have traits you still need to research for your crafting so you don't sell them or deconstruct them accidentally. Without that mod crafters need to get the old pen and paper out and make notes that they refer to every time they want to decide whether to sell/deconstruct or keep any item.

If the game flagged the skyshards once you discovered them the first time account wide, and tagged items with un-researched traits for you, neither google or addons would be needed... but it doesn't

So I guess what you're saying is that true gamers use google and enjoy old fashioned note taking because the functionality that is missing from the game that should be there, isn't and that makes it "hard"... a pretty odd perspective.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

no mods? o.O

Man that must be painfull.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Iselin

So I guess what you're saying is that true gamers use google and enjoy old fashioned note taking because the functionality that is missing from the game that should be there, isn't and that makes it "hard"... a pretty odd perspective.

back in vanilla WoW there were hunting quests in Stranglethorn Valley. quest text said "hunt so and so, and don't bother asking me where to find them. finding your prey is half the hunt".

the mobs were not marked on the map.

Then came the casuals. 

You play one character and only one character and you might have a point. In WOW, the second time around, you knew what you were looking for and where to go to find it.

ESO has over 300 skyshards with locations to remember... maybe you and other "hardcores" would enjoy that little side game over and over again... Me? I'd rather play the real part of the game that IS worth repeating because it's never the same... all of that happens in Cyrodiil.

You should drop in sometime and look me up and we'll find out who the real casual is :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

If by "easier" you mean less tedious, yeah mods make it easier. Hunting for skyshard following clues is only fun (if it ever really was) once. If you roll a second or third or fourth character because you want to try different builds and need those skyshards for the skill points they give you, you know you're going to google the damn location because the fun goes out of that part of the game pretty fast. That particular add-on just gets rid of the need to google it.

Then there is "research assistant" that flags items in your bank or inventory that have traits you still need to research for your crafting so you don't sell them or deconstruct them accidentally. Without that mod crafters need to get the old pen and paper out and make notes that they refer to every time they want to decide whether to sell/deconstruct or keep any item.

If the game flagged the skyshards once you discovered them the first time account wide, and tagged items with un-researched traits for you, neither google or addons would be needed... but it doesn't

Depends on the mod. Anyone using that Wykkyd Enhanced Hud is making the game easier.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I do miss a few of the mods I had on the PC version. But to me its not that big of a deal.

I actually had to turn on my tablet and take 2 minutes to look up a few sky shard locations. If keeping a tablet next to me in the recliner to look up a location or 3 is my biggest problem then I will just have to suffer I suppose =)

I got tired of having to run 20+ mods years ago in WoW. Only ran a few in ESO PC, and am actually happy they dont have them on the console version. I may be in the minority but for me that was a big selling point. 

Originally posted by immodium

Depends on the mod. Anyone using that Wykkyd Enhanced Hud is making the game easier.

I don't use that and am not familiar with it. What does it do?

On another point... ZOS incorporated the functionality of my oldest ESO mod into the console game. I like to turn on area loot and auto loot. But when you do that with the standard PC interface you have no idea what you just looted unless you open your inventory - I'd rather do that later on when I'm ready to sell / deconstruct.

Lootdrop is an addon that shows you a brief scrolling list at the bottom of the screen of what you looted. That is now a standard part of the ESO console UI when you choose area and auto.

I understand some people's desires to have the cleanest UI possible without add ons - I don't share that desire but I understand it. But I also have a clear sense of what I consider "hard": a tough boss fight... a rare crafting ingredient that can only be found in remote and dangerous places... and what I consider just tedious. I like hard but not tedious.

It's the main reason I don't get too nostalgic about the first gen MMOs I played in the 90s. There was a lot of awkward clunkyness and tedium in there simply because no one had thought of a way to make it better yet, Some people do seem to enjoy hyper detailed crafting as seen in most survival MMOs. I just consider that cringe worthy.... shrug. 

GW2's and ESOs automatic use of mats from your bank when you craft, for example, are things that to me are so much better than the need to micromanage those mats with frequent trips to the bank that I would find it really hard to play an MMO without that feature now. It's an enhancement to the game's meta that just gives me more time to play the meat of the game.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED