Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game worth joining?

MoghidinMoghidin Member UncommonPosts: 96
I'm looking for a new MMORPG to play. I've played both ahrdcore PvP games like EvE and games without PvP at all as well. I've found this game on mmorpg.com list and it has high rating but very sketchy info. I see it's full loot PvP, territory control, etc. So, it looks like fantasy version of EvE. But my two concerns with EvE were: immense amounts of time you need to progress to higher levels (be "important" in PvP). Mandatory multiaccounting for more advanced stuff, In EvE there is PvP chance anywhere, but there are relatively safe places where you can do your business without too much PvP risk. What about this game, if it's forced PvP everywhere, I think it's not for me. Is there any quality PvE stuff (in EvE there was next to none), is there a good market or crafting, or everything player-made is pushed aside by NPC drop loot?

Comments

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

situation @ Aventurine is pretty desperate ATM.. developers are not getting paid.. due to very very low population..

might wanne get a buddy key first.. so you can try the game out if you like it..

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    No.
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Definitely. Population is low, and the game is hard to get into. Just join a clan and have them show you the ropes and it'll be a good time. It's a game that any sandbox/full loot ow pvp fan needs to at least try. 
  • eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Not really. Right now the game is in a semi broken state and the population is terrible. These days all the game really has to offer to new players is a boring, slow PVE grind on mostly bugged super easy mobs along with excessive travelling times.

What's left of the current population played a different game focussed on pvp, with decent drops and instant travelling that allowed them to have fun while filling their warehouses with enough decent stuff that will last for years. 

But those times are over, everything has been nerfed to crap, tasks that took a few minutes now can take several hours, there's no more instant transportation, you can't even summon your friend or clan mate, they have to run on their own - and that usually takes ages. But don't worry, meeting a player out there is so rare, that running alone is no big risk. It's just boring to run through an empty world where even the mobs are hiding in very few spots and the rest of the world is just static graphics and an occasional player every X hours.

So if the developers don't ever decide to wipe the servers, I would just stay away as a new player. The game right now has the worst new player experience in its existance. And it's not like the upcoming quest system that's supposed to improve the new player experience will help, since it doesn't adress the problems caused by the developer forcing out half assed patches and needing months (if ever!) to finish them properly.

LFG!
  • kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

Aww I still really want to buy it.

Not much PvP-centric (with drops) games out there :(

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I was wondering this myself as it's got a high rating on here. It doesn't sound hopeful.
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

The idea behind the game is good, but the entertainment just does not last.  

Both of the DF games, when they first came out you could have a lot of fun playing the games quite frequently, when all the territory is available and sieges are all in place, you get to see how the diplomacy plays out, etc... but after a couple of months it starts to die down until its in its current state where you have very few people.  

Only thing was the first release you could do everything that it was ridiculous because everybody did the same thing.  This one it took them forever to put all the schools and roles in.  Also, the best way to progress your character was through tradeskilling- which I personally did not like.  

If the population stayed the game could be fun but people burn out on it.  Not to mention you will get annoyed when you find out how much better some people are at games.  Then when you run into lag issues or into players hacking.. it really sucks.

Originally posted by phantomghost

The idea behind the game is good, but the entertainment just does not last.  

Both of the DF games, when they first came out you could have a lot of fun playing the games quite frequently, when all the territory is available and sieges are all in place, you get to see how the diplomacy plays out, etc... but after a couple of months it starts to die down until its in its current state where you have very few people.  

I don't really agree on that this type of game become boring so fast. I was playing Lineage 2 for many years and the game had so many players it was insane. The retail server that I played on (there were mutiple) had a limit of 7k concurrent players and often was maxed in the first years. The retail population started to decline a lot when they increased the (non bottable) character/gear requirements a lot, making lowbies nearly fully useless, just like DFUW is trying these days, but most people simply moved to private servers where the requirements were easier to handle.

And all they did were clan battles, pvping, fighting over epic raid bosses, politics, empire building. And it didn't get boring for years. PVE was brutal on retail but the company ignored botting reports, so everybody was botting 24/7, people even discussed bot settings on shout chat.

With a few changes DF could have attracted thousands of PVP fans, but AV decided to go another route. We'll see if they will find all those pve grind loving hardcore farmers that enjoy playing a full loot game.

LFG!
  • witchkillerwitchkiller Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by eHug

Not really. Right now the game is in a semi broken state and the population is terrible. These days all the game really has to offer to new players is a boring, slow PVE grind on mostly bugged super easy mobs along with excessive travelling times.

What's left of the current population played a different game focussed on pvp, with decent drops and instant travelling that allowed them to have fun while filling their warehouses with enough decent stuff that will last for years. 

But those times are over, everything has been nerfed to crap, tasks that took a few minutes now can take several hours, there's no more instant transportation, you can't even summon your friend or clan mate, they have to run on their own - and that usually takes ages. But don't worry, meeting a player out there is so rare, that running alone is no big risk. It's just boring to run through an empty world where even the mobs are hiding in very few spots and the rest of the world is just static graphics and an occasional player every X hours.

So if the developers don't ever decide to wipe the servers, I would just stay away as a new player. The game right now has the worst new player experience in its existance. And it's not like the upcoming quest system that's supposed to improve the new player experience will help, since it doesn't adress the problems caused by the developer forcing out half assed patches and needing months (if ever!) to finish them properly.

So many inaccuracies.

Big difference from EVE is you will be PVP much quicker. Much faster than DF1 too. The travelling time whining is stupid, there are some instant travels, running on roads gives you 2x movement speedx. Ship are very fast now too.

They are changing in next patch the cost of instant travel so you can do it much cheaper than now, but with different cooldown related stuff.

The upcoming quest system WILL help, you are a fool. 

Also in the next patch they are changing alot of economy things to make the game have more localized loot system.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Complaining about traveling time in a game like Darkfall is silly.  The premise of the game is territory conquest.  In even the simplest simulation of a game like that, transportation of both players and items cannot be instantaneous if there is to be strategic warfare.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Moghidin
    I'm looking for a new MMORPG to play. I've played both ahrdcore PvP games like EvE and games without PvP at all as well. I've found this game on mmorpg.com list and it has high rating but very sketchy info. I see it's full loot PvP, territory control, etc. So, it looks like fantasy version of EvE. But my two concerns with EvE were: immense amounts of time you need to progress to higher levels (be "important" in PvP). Mandatory multiaccounting for more advanced stuff, In EvE there is PvP chance anywhere, but there are relatively safe places where you can do your business without too much PvP risk. What about this game, if it's forced PvP everywhere, I think it's not for me. Is there any quality PvE stuff (in EvE there was next to none), is there a good market or crafting, or everything player-made is pushed aside by NPC drop loot?

Game is terible but you pprolly like it it have safe(carebear)zones.

Low pop is because they change it into abomination.

If original developers would have stick to the first ideas of how Darkfall should be in 2003 and solve the cheating Darkfall 1 should still but up and running.

I'm glad DFUW is failing:)

Bring back DFO original stop with this one it is not what it should have been.

If Claus is still a dev get your head out of the sand and start develop what we so many times talked about early days on forum fall.

Don't split up server keep it EU and deal with cheaters and game can be healthy.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    The game is very dead and not worth getting into. It would be a waste of time to try it now as there isn't a player base left to sustain much action. The company that runs the game, AV, is terrible and shady to boot. I would advise you to find a game to sink your time into with a larger population.
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Complaining about traveling time in a game like Darkfall is silly.  The premise of the game is territory conquest.  In even the simplest simulation of a game like that, transportation of both players and items cannot be instantaneous if there is to be strategic warfare.

That doesn't really change anything about a giant world with a few 100 players max at prime time mixed with excessive travelling times being a terrible idea. Either they increase the player base a lot (+500% or more) or they shrink the world to 10 or 20% of what it's today. Or they give players acceptable means of transportations.

LFG!

Originally posted by witchkiller So many inaccuracies. Big difference from EVE is you will be PVP much quicker. Much faster than DF1 too.

I wouldn't really compare DFUW to SpeadSheets in Space, these games don't have much in common aside of full loot.

The travelling time whining is stupid, there are some instant travels, running on roads gives you 2x movement speedx. Ship are very fast now too.

And it still takes forever in the empty, static world that DFUW is, especially compared to what it was before. Or do you really claim a boring 30+m run/boat trip is anywhere comparable to a 1 minute friend summon?

They are changing in next patch the cost of instant travel so you can do it much cheaper than now, but with different cooldown related stuff.

Which might be a step into the right direction - if AV is able to do it right this time. Start praying - or blackmailing AV, maybe it helps (;

How would it? Did they change anything about it lately?

Also in the next patch they are changing alot of economy things to make the game have more localized loot system.

Yay, even more excessive travelling through the mostly empty world of DFUW to kill bugged mobs. I can't hold my excitement!

Let's cross fingers the games population explodes, because a localized loot system on a giant world that just has a few 100 online players max at prime time will likely not really work out as expected.

LFG!

Originally posted by witchkiller So many inaccuracies. Big difference from EVE is you will be PVP much quicker. Much faster than DF1 too.

I wouldn't really compare DFUW to SpeadSheets in Space, these games don't have much in common aside of full loot.

The travelling time whining is stupid, there are some instant travels, running on roads gives you 2x movement speedx. Ship are very fast now too.

And it still takes forever in the empty, static world that DFUW is, especially compared to what it was before. Or do you really claim a boring 30+m run/boat trip is anywhere comparable to a 1 minute friend summon?

Which might be a step into the right direction - if AV is able to do it right this time. Start praying - or blackmailing AV, maybe it helps (;

Yay, even more excessive travelling through the mostly empty world of DFUW to kill bugged mobs. I can't hold my excitement!

Let's cross fingers the games population explodes, because a localized loot system on a giant world that just has a few 100 online players max at prime time will likely not really work out as expected.

I would reply to each of your points but your first one where you said I should talk about Eve when the OP specifically asked about Eve made me think you're not worth bothering with, just a hater.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Op start playing after the economy and ui patch hit in the next month. The game suprised me, as a non hardcore pvper, how much I enjoyed it.

This game and company has a lot of old enemies that don't actively follow the game and post ignorant bs on this forum. The population is low and if you are an instant action pvp only person I wouldn't suggest it. It's more old school in that things take time with an emphasis on risk vs reward.
    Originally posted by witchkiller

I would reply to each of your points but your first one where you said I should talk about Eve when the OP specifically asked about Eve made me think you're not worth bothering with, just a hater.

I read my posting again and I am not sure how mentioning that both games don't have much in common makes me a hater? Do they have anything in common except for full loot? I tried to point out that these games are really hard to compare (at all!) and that it's not just the levelling speed that's different, but mostly everything.

Anyway, I was checking darkfall forums to see what changed lately and found this gem:

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?409755-server-merge-and-wipe-fear

I wouldn't start the game right now, if they really think about resurrecting DFO servers, then wiping DFUW servers.

EDIT:

Developers just clarified the statement about the Wipe:

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?409811-Clarification-about-merging-and-wiping&p=6512420#post6512420

LFG!

• Originally posted by Moghidin

Imo, don't waste your time and money in a game near the end or in a state of pre-alpha since 2012. Developers are underpayed, support is non existent, and they lack resources to develop new content (infact they just alter some table values and move things from a location to another).

If you want to support a good sandbox mmorpg try Albion, Tree of Life (now on steam in early access) or wait for Crowfall and the Repopulation (hardcore server), of if you are a die hard fan of DF1, wait for the emu that is under development.

Mortal Online also ia a great sandbox, you can play it for free with some limitations, Starvault is indeed a better company and never lies to their own playerbase, also they stick with their vision from the start and never changed it or watered down their game.

Unholy wars is an incomplete game, a watered version of Darkfall managed by Aventurine, a company near bankrupcty that don't care about their own playerbase with zero support and interest to make the game better, is like one of these games on steam just created to make money at beginning and disappear a bit after, with the game forever in pre-alpha state.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    Never was....never will be. No matter how many words ppl type here
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Moghidin

It takes maybe about 2 weeks to be PvP ready, and there's no benefit from a second account.

I'd say wait for the economy revamp patch coming out soon.

Also be aware, this is a revamp/sequel to Darkfall Online, which was an ambitious but very broken game. They shut it down to make what for this overhaul and there's a very dedicated and toxic group of people who never forgave Aventurine for closing down Darkfall 1. Recently it looked like there might be a chance to open it up again, but AV decided to stick with focusing on DFUW. So, the few dozen DF1 supporters still kicking around have gone on a hate campaign to invent some pretty far out stuff to keep people away from DFUW and make sure AV closes down.

Those are exactly the kind of people DFUW tried to avoid catering to.

• What i wrote before is my genuine opinion after trying it several times, but this game is beyond salvation at this point, if you don't trust me read all the steam reviews and you will know yourself the unavoidable truth.

Some people will tell you that the game is good and have a helth population because the game is an empty world and they desperate need more people to play with or gank otherwise they pass all the day watching the bank afk doing nothing (also watch the steamchart about population prime time).

UW is more broken compared to the old game, with a lot of less content and cause the lacks of manpower will stay for years into the actual alpha state if the company don't sink before.
    The next patch is trying to fix economy with changing loot tables and localize some mobs, but it wont change nothing, what the game need really is a complete reset, impossible to do with AV limited resources.

You can read the truth in the comments about it from a dev called Axilmar on reddit, it explain everything more clear, expecially the part where he talking about number of developers left working on the game.

So, imo, all money devoted to this game are money wasted into nothing. And yes, i'm indeed bashing and criticize the game because deserve it, as an old player since 2009 i'm deep deluded after all these years of lies and false promises made by this company.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I really enjoyed DFUW besides the siege crashes etc. I only left because the population died. 
  • dleveldlevel Member UncommonPosts: 88
    i dont understand why they dont make it f2p.... 
    Originally posted by kdchan

What i wrote before is my genuine opinion after trying it several times, but this game is beyond salvation at this point, if you don't trust me read all the steam reviews and you will know yourself the unavoidable truth.

Some people will tell you that the game is good and have a helth population because the game is an empty world and they desperate need more people to play with or gank otherwise they pass all the day watching the bank afk doing nothing (also watch the steamchart about population prime time).

UW is more broken compared to the old game, with a lot of less content and cause the lacks of manpower will stay for years into the actual alpha state if the company don't sink before.
    The next patch is trying to fix economy with changing loot tables and localize some mobs, but it wont change nothing, what the game need really is a complete reset, impossible to do with AV limited resources.

You can read the truth in the comments about it from a dev called Axilmar on reddit, it explain everything more clear, expecially the part where he talking about number of developers left working on the game.

So, imo, all money devoted to this game are money wasted into nothing. And yes, i'm indeed bashing and criticize the game because deserve it, as an old player since 2009 i'm deep deluded after all these years of lies and false promises made by this company.

Everything you said except the population stuff is a lie. 

It is true they are understaffed though. But axilmar never said anything about a number of dev's left the game.

Originally posted by dlevel
    i dont understand why they dont make it f2p.... 

They said months ago they will....

Like swtor, f2p with restrictions.

Quit spreading lies.