Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger Cancelled; $100,000+ in Kickstarter Funds Unaccounted For

Comments

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

I wasn't going to post anything here and just enjoy the show, but then I saw this little gem. 

Yes, games by AAA companies fail all the time. But the vast majority of them don't take money up front for it. You and Assholeton took over $100K from people with the promise, moral obligation and (arguably) legal obligation to make the game that was featured. That game has now been cancelled due to lack of funding (yet you somehow have the money to make a shitty little zombie survival game). You don't just get to say, "We'll pay them back by giving them free stuff relating to a different game we want to make".  That's horseshit, and you fucking know it. 

AAA games sometimes take preorders, then wind up being cancelled. Know what happens? They refund the pre-orders! You on the other hand have taken the money and can't even account for it. You're not making the game, you're not doing anything with the IP, and you're not even honoring the agreement to ship out physical goods to those who paid for them. You owe those people either the game that was promised, or a refund. Period. 

Don't have the money? Doesn't matter. As long as you live, you have earned income potential. If a court were so inclined they could place a lien on your home or car. They could intercept tax refunds, and garnish your wages. If it's determined that you are legally obligated to repay that money, they're going to get it from you one way or the other, one dollar at a time if need be. Same goes for Assholeton. 

I hope you and all your pathetic scammer friends get sued to hell and back. Perhaps a decade of garnished wages will teach you to honor your commitments, though I doubt it. 

I didn't donate to your game, and nor do I really care about it. But seeing people like you pull this shit and make it even harder for good, honest people to get the money they need to see their projects come to light pisses me right the fuck off. I'll be doing my best to make sure nobody patronizes any project with your name attached to it ever again, and I doubt I'm the only person on this site who will be doing so. 

Lying, rotten, dishonest scumbag. I don't care if I get in trouble for saying it, it's the truth. 

+1

Worth repeating. Shame

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by JamesP
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    Originally posted by JamesP or is it A or even PA!

As many of you know even if people did file a lawsuit against me I have no way of paying it. GM may be gone but we still intend on honoring the KS Backer's pledges in the future when we get the resources to attempt another MMO. With our Funding falling through like it did we had no way of getting GM to launch. We had a plan in place to bring in some funding by working our butts off to create a much smaller game and when those plans were leaked people didn't like that plan very much and started attacking us again. So we attempted to hand GM back over to Jason so with the help of his investors he could get the game done. He refused to take it back. So we were left with no other option then to shut it down, regroup, and attempt it again when we have the resources to do it. This is NOT the end just a break for a little while.

It doesn't work like that, you can't just say oh i have no money so i can't be sued.

Sued for what though? We made an effort to make the game... In the end we failed... Games by AAA Companies fail every day. You really expect us not to fail? We will make every effort to get back in to a position where we can attempt another MMO and when the time comes we will honor every single promise and pledge during our KS Campaign. We just do NOT have the funding to see this through to launch at this time.

I wasn't going to post anything here and just enjoy the show, but then I saw this little gem. 

Yes, games by AAA companies fail all the time. But the vast majority of them don't take money up front for it. You and Assholeton took over $100K from people with the promise, moral obligation and (arguably) legal obligation to make the game that was featured. That game has now been cancelled due to lack of funding (yet you somehow have the money to make a shitty little zombie survival game). You don't just get to say, "We'll pay them back by giving them free stuff relating to a different game we want to make".  That's horseshit, and you fucking know it. 

AAA games sometimes take preorders, then wind up being cancelled. Know what happens? They refund the pre-orders! You on the other hand have taken the money and can't even account for it. You're not making the game, you're not doing anything with the IP, and you're not even honoring the agreement to ship out physical goods to those who paid for them. You owe those people either the game that was promised, or a refund. Period. 

Don't have the money? Doesn't matter. As long as you live, you have earned income potential. If a court were so inclined they could place a lien on your home or car. They could intercept tax refunds, and garnish your wages. If it's determined that you are legally obligated to repay that money, they're going to get it from you one way or the other, one dollar at a time if need be. Same goes for Assholeton. 

I hope you and all your pathetic scammer friends get sued to hell and back. Perhaps a decade of garnished wages will teach you to honor your commitments, though I doubt it. 

I didn't donate to your game, and nor do I really care about it. But seeing people like you pull this shit and make it even harder for good, honest people to get the money they need to see their projects come to light pisses me right the fuck off. I'll be doing my best to make sure nobody patronizes any project with your name attached to it ever again, and I doubt I'm the only person on this site who will be doing so. 

Lying, rotten, dishonest scumbag. I don't care if I get in trouble for saying it, it's the truth. 

Well said.  I can't believe he thinks those excuses are gonna fly.  If I was one of the backers who spent a lot of money.  I would do my best to take this guy to court.  At least then you'll know they'll have to prove where the funds went.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Was this the same game that started out with "Appleton doesn't know anything about making an MMO - do not fund" and followed up with "I'll sue if you let your readers say mean things about me" ? Is that the same game?

It sure is.  The fun never seems to end, does it...  :D

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    THe internet cry for justice jason appleton CANT get away with it
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by Kabaal Originally posted by JamesP or is it A or even PA!  
    As many of you know even if people did file a lawsuit against me I have no way of paying it. GM may be gone but we still intend on honoring the KS Backer's pledges in the future when we get the resources to attempt another MMO. With our Funding falling through like it did we had no way of getting GM to launch. We had a plan in place to bring in some funding by working our butts off to create a much smaller game and when those plans were leaked people didn't like that plan very much and started attacking us again. So we attempted to hand GM back over to Jason so with the help of his investors he could get the game done. He refused to take it back. So we were left with no other option then to shut it down, regroup, and attempt it again when we have the resources to do it. This is NOT the end just a break for a little while.
    It doesn't work like that, you can't just say oh i have no money so i can't be sued.
    Sued for what though? We made an effort to make the game... In the end we failed... Games by AAA Companies fail every day. You really expect us not to fail? We will make every effort to get back in to a position where we can attempt another MMO and when the time comes we will honor every single promise and pledge during our KS Campaign. We just do NOT have the funding to see this through to launch at this time.

I was staying out of this but I want to point out a couple things.

first,

If it was not for the T-Shirts there probably would not be much of a problem with a so what attitude but because there was some tangible product which was not delivered and because it spanned across several states and countries it is under federal jurisdiction and is fraud. It will just a bit for the wheels of justice to start turning.

Secondly,

This is big slap in the face to those that are putting forth effort. Making arrogant statements can lead to some unwanted attention. You have been drawing disability and earning income which is another federal offence and can earn you 10 to 30 years if someone presses the matter.

I suggest this thread get closed and GM die here and now.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    ^ I hope not, he deserves all that.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by collekt
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

no. I am saying why bother with it? If indeed it produces something i like .. i will buy it when it is a product. If they can't produce anything ... i just go some place else for entertainment .. there is no lack of that.

hmm .. i don't preorder ... and everything I bought is fun .. because I do research .. but that is besides the point. Preoder does NOT risk not having anything. That is a big difference, don't you think? You can accept any risk you want. May be you go to vegas and gamble too .. does not mean i will say gambling is a good thing.

And again, if there is fraud in KS .. it is facts .. and don't you think people should know about them .. and judge KS with that in mind?

And what is the bad practice in cash shop? Pay to win? Well .. sure you can call it bad if you don't like it .. at least it is not fraud and whales know exactly what they get.

You are confused between a product (pay-2-win) that you disapprove and bad practice (encouraging fraud).

Crowdfunding is clearly not for you, so just stay away from it. Just because you don't want to help fund a project you're passionate about doesn't mean it's a bad idea. My favorite part of crowdfunding is that it enables a developer to raise money for a project that they may not be able to secure funding for through the normal channels. This also gives them independence to develop the game they want without having to answer to overbearing publishers. Will there be cases of fraud or projects not being completed? Sure there will, but there will also be great projects completed as well. Think of it as an investment, you're helping enable a project to be undertaken. Investments always have risks. This is why you should research and only invest in something that you believe is likely to provide you with a return on that investment. There is no burden on anyone to convince you that crowdfunding isn't evil. Investing isn't for you and that's cool, just stick to buying games off the shelf.

Of course I am. You don't think i will waste even a cent of my money on KS, do you?

Well ... it is a mightily bad idea if you look at it as an investment. You get all the down side, and none of the up side. Will you buy a stock where you will share NONE of the rewards if the product sells well, and you are left holding the bag if it tanks?

The return on investment on ANY KS project is at most a game .. which does not worth anything more than a normal game price (and many are indie and would worth very little). So yes, a ROI calculation will review that you are risking a lot for almost no return.

• FeralLokiFeralLoki Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Noted, never touch anything James Proctor has touched.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by ArChWind

first,

If it was not for the T-Shirts there probably would not be much of a problem with a so what attitude but because there was some tangible product which was not delivered and because it spanned across several states and countries it is under federal jurisdiction and is fraud. It will just a bit for the wheels of justice to start turning.

Secondly,

This is big slap in the face to those that are putting forth effort. Making arrogant statements can lead to some unwanted attention. You have been drawing disability and earning income which is another federal offence and can earn you 10 to 30 years if someone presses the matter.

1: TRUE! Kickstarter EULA explicitly states that physical rewards must be delivered or they will take legal action. The backers just need to write to Kickstarter that the T-Shirts have not been delivered and the game has been canceled.

2: I agree, i would be very careful with what i say if i where JamesP.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by MrSnuffles
    Originally posted by ArChWind

first,

Secondly,

1: TRUE! Kickstarter EULA explicitly states that physical rewards must be delivered or they will take legal action. The backers just need to write to Kickstarter that the T-Shirts have not been delivered and the game has been canceled.

I've been thinking about this, and I'm sorry if somebody has mentioned it before, but what if this whole charade was / is an attempt to deliberately obfuscate the issue at hand if they do get sued? All this asset switching, convoluted accounting, back-alley dealing and contracts, etc. would make one hell of a screwed up paper trail. It won't stop a good, determined lawyer, but most lawyers would probably look at the time needed to unravel it and decide that 100K isn't worth the hassle. Not to mention the legal fees that would have to be paid by the plaintiff. Don't forget, Assholeton has been all but proven to be a 'professional' con man. He probably knows how to cover his ass, and it sounds like something he would do. 

Just something to think about...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by FeralLoki
    Noted, never touch anything James Proctor has touched.

Don't worry, you won't.  He'd have to actually complete and release something for that to happen.

I've been thinking about this, and I'm sorry if somebody has mentioned it before, but what if this whole charade was / is an attempt to deliberately obfuscate the issue at hand if they do get sued? All this asset switching, convoluted accounting, back-alley dealing and contracts, etc. would make one hell of a screwed up paper trail. It won't stop a good, determined lawyer, but most lawyers would probably look at the time needed to unravel it and decide that 100K isn't worth the hassle. Not to mention the legal fees that would have to be paid by the plaintiff. Don't forget, Assholeton has been all but proven to be a 'professional' con man. He probably knows how to cover his ass, and it sounds like something he would do. 

He can't transfer the contractual obligation he had with Kickstarter. Jason Appleton is the one responsible for the Kickstarter promises. No legal document can change that.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

• AzrileeAzrilee Member CommonPosts: 22

He can't transfer the contractual obligation he had with Kickstarter. Jason Appleton is the one responsible for the Kickstarter promises. No legal document can change that.

This is false.   An oblgation or debt can certainly be transfered by a legal document, it happens all the time when one company buys out another company.

As far as if this whole thing ( passing control around)  is just a smokescreen...  I doubt it.    Proctor and Joel Lumpy are not very bright people.   I mean, the bigget scam of all of this is that these to kids were ever taken seriously.  Proctor is just some loser living with his mother who has never done  anything or completed any type of project.   Joel, mister supreme business man and maker of brands..  can´t even afford to send out a couple dozen t-shirts.  

And that really needs to be brought up just as much as Appleton.    Joel Lumpy and Proctor received $20,000 in software and licenses in exchange for mailing out a few dozen t-shirts... and still, they haven´t been able to do that..

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Uh-oh... Jason, James and Lumpyman better watch out!

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/11/crowdfunded-game-developer-bows-to-ftc-pressure/

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TrekkanTrekkan Member Posts: 11
    Maybe I should create, www.fundmylawsuit.com and have people donate to help pay the legal fees against such people... ;)

-Trekkan
    Just For Fun Gaming
    WWW.JFFGAMING.COM

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/11/crowdfunded-game-developer-bows-to-ftc-pressure/

Yep I was just going to post this here. I made a thread about it in the General forums. Here's the jist of it:

<div cfbody"="">

Feds are finally going after CF scams. Who wants to bet Jason Appleton and conspirators are feeling a little uneasy right now?

Here is the linky to the story: http://news.yahoo.com/federal-regulators-crowdfunding-scam-133408224--finance.html

Lets hope this clears out the folks that are truly scammers so the CF world gets more popular.

EDIT: This little paragraph is very relevant to the shitstorm that is Greed Monger:

"While this week's FTC settlement is a warning to online scammers, it also reveals the limits to which the government can protect consumers: Chevalier has been ordered to repay the money, but the judgment has been suspended because he doesn't have any. Otherwise, the settlement prohibits him from lying about future crowdfunding campaigns"

Chevalier is the guy that scammed folks with the Board Game that he never worked on.

So actually per James himself you can't sue him because he has no money. But this could mean we won't see his crappy Zombie game #765465765 on KS anytime soon.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Lol. Could that news post come at a better possible time?
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565

Someone at FTC is mad he didn't get his board game.

But hey, in order to avoid such problems with the law, I can imagine how failed KS mmos will now release half baked crap before closing. Like, if they release an half baked alpha and call it "release", even for 2 days, they can say they delivered their product and thus avoid being charged.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

But hey, in order to avoid such problems with the law, I can imagine how failed KS mmos will now release half baked crap before closing. Like, if they release an half baked alpha and call it "release", even for 2 days, they can say they delivered their product and thus avoid being charged.

Well that would prolly be enough "legally" to get them out of hot water. In the case of the guy in the story he didn't even go that far.

My hope is that it will stop scammers from even trying. IMHO Greed Monger wasn't an out-and-out scam, at least in the beginning. But somewhere along the way they had to know they would not be able to deliver on their promises.

Oh yeah, Jason and Joel, one word:

CUSTOMINK.COM

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

And this is why I will never again put up any money for a crowd funded game. They can just take the money and run, with little recourse for those poor saps who got fooled into giving them money.

And just to be clear, I did not pay anything for Greed Monger, but rather it was for an MMO RTS called Novus Aeterno. That was 3 years ago and the game is still not released or even in beta.

Don't pay for crowdfunding guys. It is most likely a scam, at worst, and a failed project at best.

EDIT: Just to be clear. Novus Aeterno is not in the state GM is. You can download and play the game but the state is something like Alpha. And this for a game which has been in development for around 5 years.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by bartoni33
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

Well that would prolly be enough "legally" to get them out of hot water. In the case of the guy in the story he didn't even go that far.

My hope is that it will stop scammers from even trying. IMHO Greed Monger wasn't an out-and-out scam, at least in the beginning. But somewhere along the way they had to know they would not be able to deliver on their promises.

In this case the guy publicly stated that he hired artists to do the artwork and he had no way of proving that when the FTC came knocking.  He also charged personal items to the company.  Guess he was too sloppy and/or greedy to even fake "good faith" development of the game.

• TheeLordTheeLord Member UncommonPosts: 138

This behavior sickens me to no end!!!!   My team and I have spent years and years since 2008! building the backend of our game, making it solid first, then adding fancy graphics etc...  Not asking for any money to do it, not asking for noteriety etc...  This guy was a SNAKE and belongs in Jail!   I made multiple posts on different forums saying this was a scam and not to buy into it when it was first posted.  Even if they had intentions of making the game, they were being very dishonest about how far along they were and how long it would take them to complete.  It was glaringly obvious to me (as a programmer, and Unity dev) that he had simply gotten some pre-made assets from the Unity Asset store, stuck them in a scene, walked around and said in his video that "the game will be done within months, look at our awesome progress, give us money".

Now people are that much less inclined to trust other honest indie devs like myself that have been putting years into their games and deserve the shot that was given to that horrible human being.  /rant off  =(

Founder and Lead developer of Factions. The complete fantasy sandbox survival MMO.
    Factions indiedb Page (most up to date info) | Factions Website

Originally posted by Azrilee

This is false.   An oblgation or debt can certainly be transfered by a legal document, it happens all the time when one company buys out another company.

The Kickstarter is with Jason Appleton personally. He could declare bankruptcy but he can not transfer the obligations to another person unless the Kickstarter/The Backers agree to holding this other company/person liable. The same is true for your credit card debt, your bank has to agree to hold someone else liable for your debt.

In any case, with these jokers there is no legal company to transfer anything. I doubt that Jason or James actually had a legal company at all.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

In any case, with these jokers there is no legal company to transfer anything. I doubt that Jason or James actually had a legal company at all.

yeh .. all these legal talk is just .. talk. All the money was long gone, and there is nothing to recover.

I wouldn't mind to see them put in jail as an example though, if some prosecutor can find a felony to charge them.

• XeroKnightXeroKnight Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Pretty ironic that the game was titled Greed Monger... lmao. Took the money and ran.

This discussion has been closed.