Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert to officially launch July 14th with a Mega Server

Comments

• scioccosciocco Member UncommonPosts: 89

So much potential, oh well...

Saw something earlier about why don't OWPvP players just play MOBAs/FPS. I wasn't aware that 5v5 was OW. de_dust2 what a huge open world that was. PS2 was nice though.

It must be a nice to be a carebear and have thousands upon thousands of MMORPGs out there to happily play.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Yet another modern day MMO which refuses to address community. Megaserver and solo centric play....no thanks.

What do you mean refuses to address community? Community is something players create.

Absolute bunk, tired of hearing it. In the older games YES, I agree. But their design promotes community, the complete opposite of what a game like this does. Megaservers and solo centric play are ANTI-community. This is fact, there is no disputing it. What the hell kind of community can you ever have when you are never on the same server with the same people? Every time you log in you will be with a different random thrown together "community" of people all going about their solo questing business. The only chance of any sense of community you will ever have is within your guild. That is not community.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Yet another modern day MMO which refuses to address community. Megaserver and solo centric play....no thanks.

What do you mean refuses to address community? Community is something players create.

Thats it in a nut shell. I find if you go back to an MMO a year after launch even the worst games have set up a community. Question is what type of people the game will bring in will be a big part of what kind of community. Sometimes I miss my EQ and DAoC days when I think of rich depth in a online community. =-) Solo sided games that dont require teaming often dose not seem to make the best communities but who knows its really a crap shoot now days lol

That has been my experience as well. What i find boggling are these folks who constantly go on and on about having nothing to play, yet then you see the same folks writing things like the above, you realize, they don't give anything a chance, don't do thing one in regard to forming a like-minded in-game community, yet expect people to understand when they go off on their rants about being left behind.

This is the biggest fallacy I see here, in SWG we created our own community of like minded players, we formed an alliance of guilds out of it. The imperials had a similar group within their ranks, we duked it out for years. That had nothing to do with game systems... ALl we needed was those players and the ability to interact. What's missing today are those willing to put in the work to build those things, it took a lot of time and effort.

You are clearly not paying attention. You are using SWG....an old school sandbox game which promoted community with its design....to a solo centric game with a megaserver?! Seriously? This is your argument againt my point? SWG's design is exactly what I would choose for community.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Joey96Joey96 Member Posts: 3

Hahaha!! So many butt hurt people.... if you want hardcore PvP... go play some league, or maybe you got stuck at bronze 5... The complexity of this game is hardcore... so if you havent tried the OBT... I suggest you go to watch in depth videos about BD... Or just leave.. 

I myself find the social part of MMORPG most important... yet this game somehow catches you different... They move away from the "original" MMO you all cry about, and tries to do something even better, so stop QQing and give it a try! And if its F2P I dont see what you can lose? And the ingame store... its like Guild Wars 2... cosmetic and stuff... do some research before you start your argument from something incorrect.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Well it needs to hurry the f**k up and release in NA/EU before people totally move on..  I'll save my moans and/or praise for when I actually try it...

Oh and for the record, I'm glad about the move away from a PvP centric game...  PvP just spoils games and causes all kinds of balance issues...  When I want PvP i'll go crack heads in Overwatch where that stuff belongs.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Megaservers are so horrible for MMO communities, but since this game has abandoned such things, I guess it doesn't matter.

Hard pass.

Megaservers are the best thing ever for any MMO.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by ikcin
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Megaservers are the best thing ever for any MMO.

No. Megaserver in EVE is great. It other MMOs it is just a cheap technology with channels. And channels make every competition and cooperation pointless. In fact the whole MMO becomes pointless.  

Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by SirBalin

Cash shop is 95% cosmetics....some cool things you can get there as well...but nothing major.  Also 100% of what is on the cash shop can be put on the AH.

That is definitely not true. All items, even lingerie, have stats. And other things in cash shop, like pets, for sure are not cosmetic. You can buy best gear in the game from the cash shop. Do not lie people please.

A Close Look at the Black Dessert Cash Shop. 

http://steparu.com/previews/mmorpg/1699-black-desert-online-taking-a-closer-look-at-the-cash-shop 

Shame on you calling other people liars!  See, this is proof that you can't trust what these PvP-centric people post on forums.  They are known to make stuff up to support their point of view.  And Ikcin has been one of Black Dessert's biggest bashers (Right behind DMKano).  Enough with the baseless Black Dessert smear attacks already. 

That said, I love this cash shop.  Some really cool stuff to play with there.  The more these bitter PvP-centric people try to smear Black Dessert, the better it looks.  From the looks of it, this is going to be an amazing game!

I also played the game. And I see nothing controversial with my words and Steparu's review. 

You said players can buy the best gear in the game from the cash shop, Step's review doesn't show that to be the case.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by MisterZebub

I'd say yes and no. They are in fact a growing breed. They just choose to go play PVP games where they can avoid the boring hamster wheel progression time sink that almost all MMORPGs have become, and if I'm honest probably always have been.

No real surprise there. MOBAs for example provide an even playing field, where the player's skill makes a huge difference in determining the match's outcome (not to mention their ability to work as a team).

While on the other hand MMOs are pretty much about who has the best gear, and who can gain other advantages by putting in ridiculous amounts of time. MOBAs and FPS games are much better for actual PvPers, while MMOs hold a stronger appeal to griefers, who relish the opportunity to gain an advantage over others and to use it to the fullest for as long as they can.

Of course large scale battles like castle sieges and RvR are also types of PvP that MMOs actually excel at. But it takes much longer to get into those as well. And often requires having a good guild to even be worth bothering with.

There are so many good posts in this thread.  Many of them taking the words right out from under me but I really wanted to highlight this post and maybe piggy back on thoughts that I've had along these lines.

Why is it that PvPers want to play an MMORPG like an FPS game when there are so many fantastic FPS and MOBA games that offer exactly what they seek?  For the record, I like PvP.  My buddies and I spend countless hours enjoying PvP in games like Team Fortress, Call of Duty, Doom, Dead Island, Halo etc.  I just don't like PvP in my MMORPGs.  My buddies even refuse to PvP in MMORPGs.  They call it  "little league" and to put it mildly "cowardly PvP" (don't want to offend anyone so won't type what they really say).

I think most, if not all, PvPers know this.  There are tons of outstanding PvP FPS game out there and yet these so-call "hardcore PvPers" come to an MMORPG to get their PvP fix.  That wouldn't be so bad if once they got there they wouldn't start complaining about hating quests, hating levels, hating RP, hating grinds for gear, hating crafting, hating .... well, you get the point.  I mean, they hate everything that makes a game an MMORPG!  Their perfect MMORPG is one that you can just jump into and start PvPing and ganking right away.  And if they can make it to where they can take all of your stuff after ganking you (full loot), well, so much the better.

So this brings me to my point, and the one Azaron makes in his post.  These so called PvPers aren't looking for challenging PvP.  They aren't hardcore at all.  What they seek is sheep to gank and victimize.  And since there is a healthy dosage of them in MMORPGs, this is where they come.  Because if they really wanted hardcore, challenging, PvP .. that they could just jump into and start kicking butt and taking names, avoiding all of the so-called "carebearish" functions that make an MMORPG .. they wouldn't be trying to PvP in an MMORPG.  They would be were the big boys are  ... in those "hardcore" FPS PvP games.

Um no...and no, and then no.  I have been a hardcore pvper for years, however I hate mobas and fps games.  I know tons of people like me that came from games like L2, SWG, UO, Eve, Darkfall that love to know that while out there in the world grinding, you can get jumped at any moment.  These games for the most part are grinders, the grind keeps you in the open world, and while grinding you get jumped, it's not talentless or non challenging pvp, its will many thrive on.  Most of the people that like these kind of pvp hate mobas and fps, they just aren't deep enough.  

In other words, you are just confirming my point.  You don't want challenging 1 vs. 1 PvP.  You want to jump or "gank" a player while he/she is not paying attention grinding.  That's not competitive PvP my friend.  There is a much better name for it, and it has nothing to do with competitive PvP.

LOL, no...that's not what I said at all...I love getting jumped myself...how is that not challenging?  My guess is you get beat in every open world pvp game, so that means it isnt' challenging...well played...gg

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by MisterZebub

I'd say yes and no. They are in fact a growing breed. They just choose to go play PVP games where they can avoid the boring hamster wheel progression time sink that almost all MMORPGs have become, and if I'm honest probably always have been.

No real surprise there. MOBAs for example provide an even playing field, where the player's skill makes a huge difference in determining the match's outcome (not to mention their ability to work as a team).

While on the other hand MMOs are pretty much about who has the best gear, and who can gain other advantages by putting in ridiculous amounts of time. MOBAs and FPS games are much better for actual PvPers, while MMOs hold a stronger appeal to griefers, who relish the opportunity to gain an advantage over others and to use it to the fullest for as long as they can.

Of course large scale battles like castle sieges and RvR are also types of PvP that MMOs actually excel at. But it takes much longer to get into those as well. And often requires having a good guild to even be worth bothering with.

There are so many good posts in this thread.  Many of them taking the words right out from under me but I really wanted to highlight this post and maybe piggy back on thoughts that I've had along these lines.

Why is it that PvPers want to play an MMORPG like an FPS game when there are so many fantastic FPS and MOBA games that offer exactly what they seek?  For the record, I like PvP.  My buddies and I spend countless hours enjoying PvP in games like Team Fortress, Call of Duty, Doom, Dead Island, Halo etc.  I just don't like PvP in my MMORPGs.  My buddies even refuse to PvP in MMORPGs.  They call it  "little league" and to put it mildly "cowardly PvP" (don't want to offend anyone so won't type what they really say).

I think most, if not all, PvPers know this.  There are tons of outstanding PvP FPS game out there and yet these so-call "hardcore PvPers" come to an MMORPG to get their PvP fix.  That wouldn't be so bad if once they got there they wouldn't start complaining about hating quests, hating levels, hating RP, hating grinds for gear, hating crafting, hating .... well, you get the point.  I mean, they hate everything that makes a game an MMORPG!  Their perfect MMORPG is one that you can just jump into and start PvPing and ganking right away.  And if they can make it to where they can take all of your stuff after ganking you (full loot), well, so much the better.

So this brings me to my point, and the one Azaron makes in his post.  These so called PvPers aren't looking for challenging PvP.  They aren't hardcore at all.  What they seek is sheep to gank and victimize.  And since there is a healthy dosage of them in MMORPGs, this is where they come.  Because if they really wanted hardcore, challenging, PvP .. that they could just jump into and start kicking butt and taking names, avoiding all of the so-called "carebearish" functions that make an MMORPG .. they wouldn't be trying to PvP in an MMORPG.  They would be were the big boys are  ... in those "hardcore" FPS PvP games.

Um no...and no, and then no.  I have been a hardcore pvper for years, however I hate mobas and fps games.  I know tons of people like me that came from games like L2, SWG, UO, Eve, Darkfall that love to know that while out there in the world grinding, you can get jumped at any moment.  These games for the most part are grinders, the grind keeps you in the open world, and while grinding you get jumped, it's not talentless or non challenging pvp, its will many thrive on.  Most of the people that like these kind of pvp hate mobas and fps, they just aren't deep enough.  

In other words, you are just confirming my point.  You don't want challenging 1 vs. 1 PvP.  You want to jump or "gank" a player while he/she is not paying attention grinding.  That's not competitive PvP my friend.  There is a much better name for it, and it has nothing to do with competitive PvP.

LOL, no...that's not what I said at all...I love getting jumped myself...how is that not challenging?  My guess is you get beat in every open world pvp game, so that means it isnt' challenging...well played...gg

So your definition of challenging and competitive PvP is getting ganked while grinding. 

Ok, gotcha.

.... oh, and loving to get jumped? 

Might want to look into that.

Originally posted by YashaX
    You said players can buy the best gear in the game from the cash shop, Step's review doesn't show that to be the case.

She does not say it, and does not deny it. So what is your problem? Play the game if you do not believe me.

Step lists the items on the cash shop, and has a nine part youtube series looking at the cash shop in depth. I didn't see "the best gear in the game" for sale in the cash shop. The devs also implied in an interview that the stats on items were to give a "more comfortable game experience" not boost power directly.

So why are you running around calling people here liars and then making totally unfounded claims yourself, and continually bashing the game in every thread? What is your problem?

She does not say it, and does not deny it. So what is your problem? Play the game if you do not believe me.

Step lists the items on the cash shop, and has a nine part youtube series looking at the cash shop in depth. I didn't see "the best gear in the game" for sale in the cash shop. The devs also implied in an interview that the stats on items were to give a "more comfortable game experience" not boost power directly.

So why are you running around calling people here liars and then making totally unfounded claims yourself, and continually bashing the game in every thread? What is your problem?

How can he deny, with a straight face, what is clearly depicted in the link for all to see?  The comments in that Steparu link tell it all. Besides, its all over the internet.  Yet he continues to deny the obvious.  There is no credibility worth saving for him at this point.  My bet is that account will be renamed "Deleted" here shortly, and we will see a brand new Black Dessert bashing account shortly thereafter.

/Just trying to keep 'em honest.

That is absurd. What do you expect on the gear to be written Best in the game? [mod edit] And please never ever quote the developer. The developer also promised sandbox, open world, raid bosses who attack and destroy towns, FFA PvP, no instances - the first broken promise were instanced houses. Now there is instanced arenas too. Also the developer promised there will not be absurd or idiotic costumes in the cash shop. Now please go and check the cash shop. The developer promised player to player trade, guilds for trade, taxes managed from the players and many other things. I cannot even remember all broken promises and arrogant lies of Pearl Abyss. And you know what? I do not blame PA. Because there were raid bosses who attack towns in CBT2. I blame Daum. After the publisher got in charge PA started to broke their promises. And yes, the best gear is in the cash shop. I played the game, you watched some videos, and think now you know more than me. [mod edit]

You've just been shown a link accurately depicting that your claims about BiS gear being sold in the cash shop are not true.  All you have to do to prove your point, is show us a counter link or proof of some sort, that will prove your point is true.  That's all you have to do. Don't expect us to take your word over everyone else's word on the internet, and yes, that does include the developers, the people who designed the game.  No one wants to dismiss your claim unnecessarily, and I held off doing so until I found counter proof of it in that link.  I/We just want accurate information so that we can make an informed decision as to whether the game is right for us or not.  Just give us some proof.  All of the other fluff in your post is just fodder.  We want to know about your claim that BiS gear is being sold in the cash shop.  That is all.

That's not too much to ask for, or is it?

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    This game and it's system should have gotten the Elder Scrolls skin instead of that monstrosity labeled ESO.
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Rarius
    hahaha failed before it even launched.

I will be very entertained if it does better than all the full loot PvP trash that you people want it to be.

...Which isn't really that hard to achieve at the end of the day. image

You mean the fact that Pearl Abyss talked about Black Desert being an open world PvP game from Sept 2012, and they even had several closed betas with open PvP mechanics, and then comes open beta and they did a 180 and changed Into a PvE game....

None of that has anything to do with people thinking this was a PvP game

Yeah nothing at all :)

you PVPers have to realize that if a company wants to make money for their time and effort they have to put some sort of consensual PVP in not force open PVP on people.

LIke PVP servers or PVP Zones where there is still conflict but it can be avoided if a player wants. there is money in consensual PVP and the developers of this game know this

• MakNevMakNev Member UncommonPosts: 26
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Just now discovered that game is PvP only. Definitively not playing it. I just hope they did it righ. On the other side as PvP only spells very bad questing if at all ... I understand how they have been able to develop game so past.

That is absurd. What do you expect on the gear to be written Best in the game? [mod edit]

[mod edit

No, I expect to see in-depth reviews about the cash shop point out something as important as being able to buy the best gear in the game, or to be able to get some idea from lists of the items on sale in the cash shop that it sells extremely powerful gear. So far you are the only person who has claimed that it is possible to buy "the best equipment in the game". I would be willing to believe you if you could give some examples, but when pressed about it you started talking about the +10% experience boost item- its not quite the same thing.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

That is absurd. What do you expect on the gear to be written Best in the game? [mod edit]

[mod edit

No, I expect to see in-depth reviews about the cash shop point out something as important as being able to buy the best gear in the game, or to be able to get some idea from lists of the items on sale in the cash shop that it sells extremely powerful gear. So far you are the only person who has claimed that it is possible to buy "the best equipment in the game". I would be willing to believe you if you could give some examples, but when pressed about it you started talking about the +10% experience boost item- its not quite the same thing.

Good luck with that. If there's anything I've learned about this site it's that the types who blindly scream P2W at the top of their lungs, rarely provide evidence of their claims.

Especially the ones that apparently needed mod edits.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Good luck with that. If there's anything I've learned about this site it's that the types who blindly scream P2W at the top of their lungs, rarely provide evidence of their claims.

In fact the link shows I'm right. Do you see 10% exp bonus. This is clear P2W in a game without level limit.

If there's no level limit then anyone who doesn't live behind their PC is fucked anyway. =/

The 10% is hardly going to make a difference there.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

In fact the link shows I'm right. Do you see 10% exp bonus. This is clear P2W in a game without level limit.

If there's no level limit then anyone who doesn't live behind their PC is fucked anyway. =/

10% in one year gameplay is more than one month :) I think that is a big difference :) 

I couldn't care less whether the guys that play 16 hours a day (NoLife2Wins? :P) are only five times my level or whether it's six times. Doesn't change anything whatsoever when it comes down to it.

I see the unlimited levels as a far bigger downside than the 10%, because it effectively means that unless you play from launch, it'll be pointless to join the game in the future when you have people running around that you can never catch up to.

Still, I'll wait to hear what's the official word on all of that before drawing too many conclusions.

10% in one year gameplay is more than one month :) I think that is a big difference :) 

What good will a 10% gear exp bonus do me if you play the game 50% more often than I do?

I couldn't care less whether the guys that play 16 hours a day (NoLife2Wins? :P) are only five times my level or whether it's six times. Doesn't change anything whatsoever when it comes down to it.

I see the unlimited levels as a far bigger downside than the 10%, because it effectively means that unless you play from launch, it'll be pointless to join the game in the future when you have people running around that you can never catch up to.

Still, I'll wait to hear what's the official word on all of that before drawing too many conclusions.

I haven't played BDO because I am generally the type of person that prefers to wait for the live release.  That said, I have friends that do and let them tell it, the unlimited levels are not a problem.  Reason being is that once you get to level 50 the exp gain comes becomes a devastating grind.  So that in essence it is sort of a level cap, although there is a bit of exp gain still happening.  In other words, once you reach level 50, you can literally just forget about exp and play the game.  At some point, after you've played the game for a very long time, you may well ding level 51.  But that one level wont really much make a difference because the game is more so skill based, than it is level based.

• ankhfnkhonsuankhfnkhonsu Member UncommonPosts: 93

I haven't played BDO because I am generally the type of person that prefers to wait for the live release.  That said, I have friends that do and let them tell it, the unlimited levels are not a problem.  Reason being is that once you get to level 50 the exp gain comes becomes a devastating grind.  So that in essence it is sort of a level cap, although there is a bit of exp gain still happening.  In other words, once you reach level 50, you can literally just forget about exp and play the game.  At some point, after you've played the game for a very long time, you may well ding level 51.  But that one level wont really much make a difference because the game is more so skill based, than it is level based.

Let me just correct this misinformation.. Currently 55 is the soft cap, the only think limiting additional level progression is the lack of high level monsters. It took me about 2-3 hours of grinding to go from 50-51, however, 55-56 you may get 5-10% per day depending on how dedicated you are. Yes the game is skill based, but it's also gear based. Once I hit 51 I spent most of my time trying to figure out all the ways that I could make silver (there are a lot of them!) Testing out new grind spots, leveling/breeding horses, doing trade runs, fishing etc. I progressed from 51-56 naturally by just farming for items and grinding skill points (which also have a soft cap). Currently, every profession has skills that go up to level 55 (although some skills go up to level 90.. good luck with that)

Originally posted by ankhfnkhonsu

Let me just correct this misinformation.. Currently 55 is the soft cap, the only think limiting additional level progression is the lack of high level monsters. It took me about 2-3 hours of grinding to go from 50-51, however, 55-56 you may get 5-10% per day depending on how dedicated you are. Yes the game is skill based, but it's also gear based. Once I hit 51 I spent most of my time trying to figure out all the ways that I could make silver (there are a lot of them!) Testing out new grind spots, leveling/breeding horses, doing trade runs, fishing etc. I progressed from 51-56 naturally by just farming for items and grinding skill points (which also have a soft cap). Currently, every profession has skills that go up to level 55 (although some skills go up to level 90.. good luck with that)

Thanks for the update.  I only have a general knowledge based on info I get over time from friends here and there.  I have not made a point to follow it much since it is still a ways away before it is released.  It may have been that at the time of my info the level cap was 50 and it has since been raised.  I don't know.  The point being made, which still stands true, is that once you get to level cap the exp gain slows down considerably.  And yes, although it is subjective, I think many posters would agree that taking twenty days to gain a level could be considered a devastating grind.  Especially with the current player demographic.  And that's only from 55 to 56.  If there is an increase of XP needed to be gained with every succeeding level, then it will obviously take longer as we increase in levels.  I think it is also a given that gear does play a factor, otherwise why even have gear with stats in the first place.  That said, every bit of updated info received from people currently playing as the game progresses through its alpha and beta stages is helpful and good to hear.  The game appears to be coming along really well.  Its NA release can't come soon enough for me.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by danwest58
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Here is a Critical thinking question for anyone who likes this game.  

With this being a SOLO PVE game where even crafters cannot sell their wares between players.  What is the Difference between playing this game and starting your own Ultima Online Server and playing alone?  

This has been said numerous times but people still socialize in these games.

grouping does not equal socializing. I've been in groups where people not only said very little but didn't even acknowledge what I was saying.

Now, it would be a shame if there was "no" group content but in the end that doesn't mean that people aren't going to socialize.

Originally posted by Iselin

You actually can make money crafting and selling, you just don't get to set the prices, the game has a system that does it for you,b ut you put it on the ah and it sells.  Just can't give it to friends.  ikn, I was torn on this at first, but it is true, the system they have in place will eliminate bots in the game, at least better than other games have.  Being that this feels so much like L2...think of how great l2 would have been had NCSoft not had supported botting more or less.

Not bashing the game here ok.

It just does not make sense for the game to set the prices for crafters because then your telling these crafters here is what your time is worth.  Also why should I not be able to make gear for my friends and in a secure trade give it to them.  

The AH is automated in terms of the minimum and maximum prices you can set for things, but that doesn't mean that the game sets the prices. The prices are based on supply and demand and the min/max prices are adjusted accordingly. It is unfortunate that you can't trade to friends but the bot-free atmosphere is a much bigger gain that makes it worth it. Crafters are still making money based on supply and demand, you just can't choose who you give your items to. If they could find a way to share things with friends without allowing bots that'd be fun, but the current system isn't bad. Try it first before making judgements. :P