Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for a free mmo with a good story

DonpoohbearDonpoohbear Member UncommonPosts: 85
i wana play something with friends and they all love story driven games 

Comments

• DonpoohbearDonpoohbear Member UncommonPosts: 85
    bump
    bump
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Good luck, OP. I'm looking for a free car with good gas mileage. 
    -Chuckles
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    This one is easy.  Lord of the Rings Online.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109

SWTOR. GW2 (buy to play.) LoTRO. ESO.

If you've tried all those, I would say just get a console and play Destiny or something with your friends...

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    http://www.swtor.com/ if story is what you're all about this is one of the best. and it has a free to play option.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by FirstKnight117

If you've tried all those, I would say just get a console and play Destiny or something with your friends...

swtor has a good story to it, but i don't know about GW2 or ESO. GW2's only story value is a couple chapters of race-related stuff and then the exact same story from a couple different angles on the second half. i have it and have played it, but i wouldn't suggest it to anybody for "the story". if the ESO you're talking about is elder scrolls online, i wouldn't suggest this either. not for "the story" at least. i've never played lotro before but i've heard that the story is great up until 2/3's of the game, then it falls off a cliff and dies.

i would rank it swtor/lotro/gw2/eso outta that list.

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Hmm...what about Rift?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Your only hope is a game that didn't start as a free 2 play.  Rift, LOTRO,  Star Wars Online for example.  Anything else and the only story is the cash shop.
  • sivousplaysivousplay Member UncommonPosts: 15

Have you looked into The Secret World? I'd highly recommend it from a story perspective.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by sivousplay

Have you looked into The Secret World? I'd highly recommend it from a story perspective.

Great game for a story, I also highly recommend this also. I do not play any more, but it really is a fantastic game. SWTOR is also a great story based mmo, I think you should look at older posts on this very subject.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

ok i think illtry to get them into tsw thanks guys ill also look at lotro
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Daikuru
    Hmm...what about Rift?

Rift has a story?  Is it about spending money in a worthless mmo called Archage?

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Donpoohbear
    ok i think illtry to get them into tsw thanks guys ill also look at lotro

Those are pretty good.  But, I'd say the best mmo that is story driven is hands down SWTOR.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Good choices, but GW2's story sucks until you start doing Season 2.  That's my opinion though.

I would go for Swtor.  The NPC voice acting and stories are more immersive in my opinion.  The Secret World is also a story-driven MMO.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Play Age of Conan through the tutorial zone "Tortage" then quit as that is the best part of the game and has a story/environment worth experiencing at least once as an MMO gamer, the rest of the game.....not so much.

Originally posted by sivousplay

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also this.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Skooma2

+1

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Adoni

+1

LOTRO gets my vote, too. You travel a story parallel to the main characters. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Lotro or even Sto
    It seems like TSW, LOTRO, and SWTOR are the only story based mmos.

"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Money to be made?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Blade & Soul is the only mmo I have ever played that has a really good story. You clan was killed by Jin Seo Yeon ( Women In Black ) and you have to make things right.  Its actually movie quality. ( Skip through the fight scenes.)
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

This.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

^These.

Of course GW2 and ESO have a bit of an entry barrier since they are B2P.

I rather enjoyed Defiance's storyline as well if you don't mind a sci-fi MMOFPS.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

This.

This +1 :)

TSW has a great story as well, but that's not free (though you can get it fairly cheap during sales). TOR has some cool class stories, one above mentioned STO, the Seasons there are pretty good too.

edit: if you liked the series, Azaron's notion above with Defiance could be cool, it's free, and nicely fit into the lore. I'd add AoC as well, it's decently written.