Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert to officially launch July 14th with a Mega Server

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Can you sign up for English beta?

Daum did say they want to have a Q1 2016 launch, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of a beta sign up yet.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by danwest58

The 3rd and final thing is if really listening to a few people on an MMO forum is worth it anymore.  So people who are single player types asking for an Open world Sandbox like MMO that is B2P/F2P type with no subscription and is Solo and PVE Centric  If this happens to not work it could re-define MMOs going forward.   

I don't really believe any developer solely listens to people on forums. Case in point (and a repeated story here) where one developer was changing to free to play and the forums were up in arms and they then looked at who was pissed only to find out that they were the biggest adopters of the cash shop and spent the most.

My thought is that Black Desert's developers looked at trends in game, probably saw that a minority of people were taking advantage of pvp features, maybe pissing off the solely pve players and they made the decision that it wasn't worth having the pvp features "as is".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    and Kano's "supposed" negative about "No PK below 50 - even on enemy guild" aer sure to foster a great community.  As if PKing on friendly guild should ever even be an option.  These PvPers are advocates for such great communities, aren't they *laughs*

Well I also played Archeage which has been his main game for a while now so I know what he meant since in AA killing friendlies in certain zones at certain times is also an option. 

IMHO, It's an ignorant system that begs the question "wtf do you even have factions at all?" It's supposed to be an "us. vs. them," Eastern Continent vs. Western with pirates in the middle, MMO. But when the most obnoxious KOS guilds are from your own faction why even bother with factions?

And like Nan said above, the new Black Desert system has me much more interested, not less.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Originally posted by Viper482
    Yet another modern day MMO which refuses to address community. Megaserver and solo centric play....no thanks.

Speaking of great communities.  Kano's "supposed" negative about "No PK below 50 - even on enemy guild" is sure to foster a great community.  As if PKing on a friendly guild mate should ever even be an option.  These PvPers are advocates for such great communities, aren't they *laughs*

IF the game were not going solo centric and megaserver I agree, that would help prevent the griefers from spoiling the community. With this game design there will be no community to spoil. The only community in a game like this is the chat room you chat in while running solo quests.

I miss the days where you depended on others. I don't mind a little solo questing, but add in group questing with increased xp for grouping, crafting dependence, buffs unique to one class that can make a difference for you in some way. These are all things that help develop a sense of community in the game. Also megaserver alone breaks any chance of this, as does being able to belong to multiple guilds at the same time. These types of features have killed this genre for me.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

To me it all good news.

It is good to adapt to the market if you want big success.

I think no direct "player to player" trade is for avoiding gold traders to some degree.

Originally posted by ikcin
    Originally posted by LacedOpium Speaking of great communities.  This and Kano's "supposed" negative about "No PK below 50 - even on enemy guild" aer sure to foster a great community.  As if PKing on friendly guild should ever even be an option.  These PvPers are advocates for such great communities, aren't they *laughs*

Wrong. If you are in guild everyone from enemy guild can kill you even below level 50 without any penalties. So you have to play alone :)

Yea it's like that now, but with the new update changes coming in July, there will be no Pk below 50 even on a enemy guild.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Here is a Critical thinking question for anyone who likes this game.  

With this being a SOLO PVE game where even crafters cannot sell their wares between players.  What is the Difference between playing this game and starting your own Ultima Online Server and playing alone?  

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by Rarius
    hahaha failed before it even launched.

I will be very entertained if it does better than all the full loot PvP trash that you people want it to be.

...Which isn't really that hard to achieve at the end of the day. image

You mean the fact that Pearl Abyss talked about Black Desert being an open world PvP game from Sept 2012, and they even had several closed betas with open PvP mechanics, and then comes open beta and they did a 180 and changed Into a PvE game....

None of that has anything to do with people thinking this was a PvP game

Yeah nothing at all :)

Well you have connections in the industry and are privy to some of the background employee chatter for some MMOs. That almost makes you an "insider" or at least an outsider with privileges... so why the 180? An understanding of the answer to that question. "why abandon OW PVP sandbox?" particularly in a part of the world where that type of MMO has always had strong support, would be a far more interesting post than just mocking them sarcastically.

Could it be that instead of gaining momentum the OWPVP litter box movement is losing traction and finds itself in real trouble now that most of them have been exposed for the toxic gank fests they are?

As you know, I play ESO and that's not everyone's cup of tea either. But I also played DAoC for several years and ever since they invented (I think) the RvR system where you keep the PVP contained in its own zone(s) but make that part of the world a persistent open world  with some limited PVE reasons to also go there, I was sold on that being the superior system to full OW PVP.

Because you see, even people like me who PVP a ton like having places to chill and maybe go test out wacky builds on predictable PVE mobs collecting data, etc... or just plain really chill with friends.

I think the number of people who truly want a nothing but PVP 24/7 MMO are a dying breed.

I suspect the reason he didn't go with that is because he doesn't like the answer, and that you're likely onto something there.

But I can see how the 180 would suck indeed for someone who's been following the game for a while, hoping for something and then getting a completely different game in the end.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

With this being a SOLO PVE game where even crafters cannot sell their wares between players.  What is the Difference between playing this game and starting your own Ultima Online Server and playing alone?  

One is an almost 20 year old Isometric MMO and the other is not... too obvious?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510

Don't want to play Ultima Online, want to play Black Desert.

Also, doesn't it have an auction house? So the whining about "no selling to other players" is some overblown drama statement to discredit the game.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by ikcin
    Speaking of great communities.  This and Kano's "supposed" negative about "No PK below 50 - even on enemy guild" aer sure to foster a great community.  As if PKing on friendly guild should ever even be an option.  These PvPers are advocates for such great communities, aren't they *laughs*

Wrong. If you are in guild everyone from enemy guild can kill you even below level 50 without any penalties. So you have to play alone :)

You missed the update...

- Players can no longer PK under level 50 even if they are war with that enemy guild.

Also, doesn't it have an auction house? So the whining about "no selling to other players" is some overblown drama statement to discredit the game.

There is an AH but the prices are pre-set by the company that owns the game. So prices will always be fair. Can you mail money or items to people like in GW2?

Originally posted by danwest58 Here is a Critical thinking question for anyone who likes this game.   With this being a SOLO PVE game where even crafters cannot sell their wares between players.  What is the Difference between playing this game and starting your own Ultima Online Server and playing alone?  
    There is an AH but the prices are pre-set by the company that owns the game. So prices will always be fair. Can you mail money or items to people like in GW2?

In Black Desert you can't trade with anyone, and no mail system either. They do have auction houses in each city, but the prices are dictated by the server admins (Daum), so you cannot list things for whatever you want.

The prices are restricted to a min and max price, but those min/max prices change based on demand. If there's transactions of people selling items for under mid price, then the price of the item will go down. If there's transactions of people selling items for over mid price, then the price of the item will rise. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but at least the prices aren't static.

Oh and one more thing, if you are not well liked by the npc's you could be paying as much as a 40% AH tax fee. Costume shop store items always have a 40% Ah tax fee.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Glad to see not every one is jumping on the Kano hate train about this game (sorry man, you often make great/insightful posts but you have just been bashing this game at every turn). From what I have read the devs have actually come up with some novel solutions to some of the problems that plague mmos and I am looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Originally posted by Kumapon

Originally posted by danwest58 Here is a Critical thinking question for anyone who likes this game.   With this being a SOLO PVE game where even crafters cannot sell their wares between players.  What is the Difference between playing this game and starting your own Ultima Online Server and playing alone?  

In Black Desert you can't trade with anyone, and no mail system either. They do have auction houses in each city, but the prices are dictated by the server admins (Daum), so you cannot list things for whatever you want.

The prices are restricted to a min and max price, but those min/max prices change based on demand. If there's transactions of people selling items for under mid price, then the price of the item will go down. If there's transactions of people selling items for over mid price, then the price of the item will rise. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but at least the prices aren't static.

Oh and one more thing, if you are not well liked by the npc's you could be paying as much as a 40% AH tax fee. Costume shop store items always have a 40% Ah tax fee.

Its to bad I wont be able to help my wife =- We have always helped each other but at least that will stop gold sellers altogether. Can you change loot options? Like let someone on your team loot everything?

This has been said numerous times but people still socialize in these games.

grouping does not equal socializing. I've been in groups where people not only said very little but didn't even acknowledge what I was saying.

Now, it would be a shame if there was "no" group content but in the end that doesn't mean that people aren't going to socialize.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Over in Korea, BD will officially launch on July 14th. With this launch PA and Daum will be launching a Mega server, thus unifying all the servers into ONE server. This server will have different instances (channels) that will be up at the same time, and players will be able to move freely between the instances. This isn't a surprise as PA always wanted to have one Mega Server.

Housing, Land, and, Farming will be phased but still connected to the open world. Thus everyone will have the room to build a house and farm land, and won't have to worry about losing their land due to server merges in the future.

Open Beta players will have their characters moved over to the new mega server when BDO officially launches on July 14th. But players with characters that exceed the character slot limit will have their highest lvl with the most progress will be moved over the the new server first. Cash shop Currency (Pearl Store Items) will be refunded. Castles and GVG will be reset.

Other Notes

- There will be a new expansion called Valencia coming in at launch. Valencia will be a huge land mass to the north east of Media, with new open world bosses, new castles to siege, new open dungeons, and mobs for players lvl 60+.

Land mass of Valencia will be huge

https://youtu.be/WRflrNGf61g

- The soft lvl cap will be risen to lvl 60.

- Players can no longer PK under level 50 even if they are war with that enemy guild.

- Major class balances.

http://bbs.black.game.daum.net/gaia/do/black/notice/read?bbsId=BN001&articleId=405

I like some of this, some not so much.  First, if you are in a clan in a gvg, you should be open pk to the war clan.  This is just silly not to allow this as this builds the political wars.  If people have a problem with it, drop tag till theya re 50.  Next, major class balances??  WTF, the classes are well balanced other than archer, this scares me a lot.

I love the open world bosses, they need to keep up with this kind of thing.  Open world dungeons, great to hear.  

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I will be very entertained if it does better than all the full loot PvP trash that you people want it to be.

You are missing the real issue with the game. I'm hearing the solo pve is brain dead easy. If they want to destroy all things sandbox with the game at least let the game involve some challenge and tactics.

It will be a long time before it releases here anyway.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

We would like it to be open world not instanced. But I guess people will enjoy it for a few months while they wait for another mmo to launch and try that for another few months and so on...

I'm not sure that everyone understands waht they are doing here.  The game is open world, they have one megaserver, but there's no way you could fit 1000's of people on one server without lag, etc.  So to make a game work, you'd need to either have multiple servers or one server with channels.  What would you rather have?  At least with channels as time goes by and the population dies out, you can reduce channels easily, merging servers is a lot harder.  

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• nikibishnikibish Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I don't care what they are doing in Korea with it. It is years away from coming here, then ill give a feces.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Sovrath

This has been said numerous times but people still socialize in these games.

grouping does not equal socializing. I've been in groups where people not only said very little but didn't even acknowledge what I was saying.

Now, it would be a shame if there was "no" group content but in the end that doesn't mean that people aren't going to socialize.

No I am not going to discredit this game.  However I am going to punch wholes in the logic of this game.  

First I can craft to my hearts desire however what is the point if I cannot sell my wares to anyone anywhere?  I would in effect be making a suit of Armor like I did in UO however, no one could buy it or use it besides me.  This makes crafting useless to the world or to the game.  Much like Crafting is basically useless in Neverwinter Nights 2.  Yes I can give that gear to one of the NPCs in NWN2 however its the same as picking up a weapon the is randomly generated from the game.  

Second There is no economy meaning that a few things can happen.  Players are solely responsible for collecting mats for themselves no buying and trading, making the gear themselves or finding the gear in the world themselves.  Meaning that the developers can make this take a lot of time in game or force you to spend real money for in game gear.  Do you think that cosmetics will keep this game running alone?  If Crafting is useless unless you do it yourself and will be a huge pain in the ass to gather mats it will allow a publisher to effectively say you can buy what ever you want with real money.  

Third While you do not need to be forced to group to be social, there still must be a need for people to interact with one another.  Example WOW's instances are easy players can group mobs up and AOE them down with no risk of wiping, And the boss fights you can completely ignore mechanics after the first month of the xpac because people are over geared and can carry you if you are under geared.  VS a game like FFXIV you cannot ignore mechanics on bosses at all so a new player who does not know a level 50 boss can wipe the group and keep the group from killing the boss.  So its EASIER to just interact with people.  It does not mean you need to be friends or Social however it does open up a NEED.  In earlier MMOs it was near impossible to do everything in game yourself so you NEEDED to interact with other people it does not mean you had to be social HOWEVER because there was a NEED because you couldnt do it all yourself.  

So if there is no NEED for you to interact with people do you really think a community will develop?  Maybe a small community will develop like there were in games like Diablo, however it will not be a large community of crafters over here, and PVP players who want to go blow up an Imps base over here, and over here a bunch of people who want to go do PVE stuff.  Basically what I am saying is the community will be at best small groups of people running together not looking to run with other than their friends and no looking to make new friends.

While I know there are people who been wanting this type of game.  I personally dont see it doing well.  

Originally posted by MisterZebub

I'd say yes and no. They are in fact a growing breed. They just choose to go play PVP games where they can avoid the boring hamster wheel progression time sink that almost all MMORPGs have become, and if I'm honest probably always have been.

No real surprise there. MOBAs for example provide an even playing field, where the player's skill makes a huge difference in determining the match's outcome (not to mention their ability to work as a team).

While on the other hand MMOs are pretty much about who has the best gear, and who can gain other advantages by putting in ridiculous amounts of time. MOBAs and FPS games are much better for actual PvPers, while MMOs hold a stronger appeal to griefers, who relish the opportunity to gain an advantage over others and to use it to the fullest for as long as they can.

Of course large scale battles like castle sieges and RvR are also types of PvP that MMOs actually excel at. But it takes much longer to get into those as well. And often requires having a good guild to even be worth bothering with.

Originally posted by YashaX

Glad to see not every one is jumping on the Kano hate train about this game (sorry man, you often make great/insightful posts but you have just been bashing this game at every turn). From what I have read the devs have actually come up with some novel solutions to some of the problems that plague mmos and I am looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Pretty much. Black Desert is to Kano what PFO is to that Longshot fella (I think that's his name at least). Both really have it out for those particular games.

While I know there are people who been wanting this type of game.  I personally dont see it doing well.  

While I agree with you in many ways, you really haven't punched any holes. This is partly because you are basing your assessment on what you think the game should be over what the game will be.

Is this game trying to foster large community? Probably not. There might be some sort of forum community but my guess is that the communities in this game will be small to solo and if small then probably tightly knit.

So yes, crafting would be for yourself if there is no trading.

People will probably just "shoot the shit" in general chat as they do in most games. That will be the extent of that.

Since the game is f2p it probably will be mostly cosmetics. Look at Tera. some boosts here and there and lots of cosmetics/mounts. If Tera can do it I don't see why this game couldn't.

You are basically saying "in order for the game to be how I think it should be it must have x, y and z and since it doesn't it won't be that way"

When the reality is "this game only allows z, y and x therefore this is the way the game will be".