Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 5 Million Units sold globally

2»

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Morlewen

As Steve Fowler stated during a lecture over 5 million units were sold globally. This is since a long time the first officially launched number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLslqhBn3PU

The release of HoT was located in "this summer".

Not all sales are equal  in terms of profits - when you sell the game for $10 only about a couple of bucks goes to the Dev studio.

Also sales in China, and many other markets in terms of profits are less than a dollar per copy.

Not to mention alternate accounts that people picked up, since it was cheaper to get 5 more character slots for $10 than buying them with gems.

5 million isn't that much either, when compared to other games.  HoT might sell quite a bit, but i'll be surprised if it's over 2 million.

5 mio sold boxes isnt much?

AFAIK, there is only one other mmo, that did it better...guess which?

i bet most devs would KILL , to get those numbers

If we're talking short term sales, then yes, it's pretty good, but it wasn't 5 million.  It was around 3.5 million in 9 months, then only around 1.5 after that.  HoT will probably sell well also.  Just look below, and you'll see around 4 others who did better.  Anyway, i probably shouldn't have worded my original opinion like i did, since it did do well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest-selling_products#Video_games

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    However you slice this pie, I think GW2 comes up in the profit category and not the loss category.

Obviously, if they were losing money on it the game would have been shut down already.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

As Steve Fowler stated during a lecture over 5 million units were sold globally. This is since a long time the first officially launched number.

Not all sales are equal  in terms of profits - when you sell the game for $10 only about a couple of bucks goes to the Dev studio.

Also sales in China, and many other markets in terms of profits are less than a dollar per copy.

Not to mention alternate accounts that people picked up, since it was cheaper to get 5 more character slots for $10 than buying them with gems.

5 million isn't that much either, when compared to other games.  HoT might sell quite a bit, but i'll be surprised if it's over 2 million.

If we're talking short term sales, then yes, it's pretty good, but it wasn't 5 million.  It was around 3.5 million in 9 months, then only around 1.5 after that.  HoT will probably sell well also.  Just look below, and you'll see around 4 others who did better.  Anyway, i probably shouldn't have worded my original opinion like i did, since it did do well.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Would be surprising if the expansion doesn't sell a minimum of 1 million copies. Even 2 millions wouldn't be surprising.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    We all now how this works.  If you like GW2 this is great news, if you dislike the game this is bad news. 
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Well, I'm really interested to see these people, that actively post about how they don't like GW2 in virtually every GW2 thread, post their experiences on the new expansion. Won't that be awesome.

Now I don't want to be some "bombsquad bully out on a mis-adventure" but I'm betting that there are quite a few "haters" that will claim to have bought the expansion just to try it out, and end up hating it of course because that is what they do.

Anyhow, looking forward to the expansion!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

• IsidiusIsidius Member UncommonPosts: 46
    No idea what people get out of going on a game's forum and trying to bash it, some people have all the time in the world I guess.