Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game is good- and I don't even like clicky MOBAs

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

I tried out the game for the first time today and I have to say it's pretty darn good.  And I really don't like click-to-move isometric mobas.

But the way it's set up is pretty sweet.  They really minimized the micro-managing aspect of MOBAs and went straight for the action.

Only thing is I wish it was 3rd person like SMITE, or maybe SMITE introduce a game mode that works this way.

Anyway, heard a lot of bad things about it but it seems pretty darn fun to me.  I don't know if it will topple LOL or whatever, but I think it'll do pretty well.

Comments

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

I tried out the game for the first time today and I have to say it's pretty darn good.  And I really don't like click-to-move isometric mobas.

But the way it's set up is pretty sweet.  They really minimized the micro-managing aspect of MOBAs and went straight for the action.

Only thing is I wish it was 3rd person like SMITE, or maybe SMITE introduce a game mode that works this way.

Anyway, heard a lot of bad things about it but it seems pretty darn fun to me.  I don't know if it will topple LOL or whatever, but I think it'll do pretty well.

Played to level 40 through the open beta ... playing the league now. This game has a lot of way to play and lot of heroes to play. None of the teams are over-powered and none are under-powered as well. The AI works well and if you consider some fast paced strategy and action oriented skill based game-play, this game is tailor made for you.  

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I love isometric games, but mobas really do nothing for me. Actually I hate them, just my little rant for this thread!

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

I've never really liked any MOBA's I've played, not really my thing. I actually had alpha access and barely played, but I have to admit I'm having a lot of fun with it at the moment. I can't say I will stay with it long, because I love huge amounts of content, but it's a nice break from ESO and SWTOR at the moment. Warning, the community is atrocious, /block needs a hotkey........

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I played LoL for over a year when I took a break from the mmorpgs.

I recently started playing HotS, and again, a nice break from mmorpgs.

Pretty much polished and ran with the beta for a while. It's a good game if your into this type of fun.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

It's basically a polished MOBA that simply subs map (minion camp/objective) control in for gold control.  The different objectives for each map are kinda nice, though they really boil down, essentially, to less than what they seem.

That's not to say it is or isn't fun, just that I don't really see it being way above or below any other MOBA (well, perhaps below Smite because isometric view is done to death and, quite frankly, horrible).  Exactly what I expected from Blizzard: a highly accessible title that will sustain itself on brand recognition and polish.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i like it too and im not a fan of point and click games. With that said, $10 for a hero is ridiculous. If thats how they are going to take my money then ill give it to them as a WoW sub instead, not as a silly single hero.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    i like it too and im not a fan of point and click games. With that said, $10 for a hero is ridiculous. If thats how they are going to take my money then ill give it to them as a WoW sub instead, not as a silly single hero.

True, but I've already afforded a mid-tier (price-wise hero) through two days of leveling/questing.  So it only scalps those who have no patience.

My biggest beef is with the importance on minion camps and objectives.  Pretty much, the most mobile team wins.  The whole "get their first" shtick is quite overplayed, and roaming as a team is weighted too heavily.  If single heroes could push forts better, this wouldn't be as big an issue.  Would be better for the overall game too, in my opinion (thus far).

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by DMKano
    As a Dota 2 player - for me the game is just really weak. It's clearly designed for non-moba players as target audience. The thing is after a while these players become more of moba players and simply move to better moba games. I'd rather play LoL (which I abhor) than HotS, Smite is decent just lacks the playerbase. All of the above is 100% personal opinion.

I ve been a MOBA player for years and HOTS is my favorite so far. I just like the feel better then the others.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    A friend encouraged me to try this out.  I had never played a MOBA before this game. (unless you count old Starcraft custom maps)  It's kinda fun, but I've only tried a couple rounds solo with and against NPC AI and failed both rounds.  So either I just need a lot more practice, need to play with actual human AIs on me team, or chalk it up that I'm just no good at this type of game.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by strawhat0981
    I love isometric games, but mobas really do nothing for me. Actually I hate them, just my little rant for this thread!

I'm with you.  These MOBA games do nothing for me.  And yes, hate is the appropriate word.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Played yesterday tis game 1 hour or so. very repeative and boring. or do u need be max level to have fun?
  • LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    A friend encouraged me to try this out.  I had never played a MOBA before this game. (unless you count old Starcraft custom maps)  It's kinda fun, but I've only tried a couple rounds solo with and against NPC AI and failed both rounds.  So either I just need a lot more practice, need to play with actual human AIs on me team, or chalk it up that I'm just no good at this type of game.

Actually, it's the AI Teammates.  For whatever reason, if you co-op with people you're fine, but if you co-op with AI Teammates, they are completely and utterly incompetent in most games.  No exaggeration whatsoever, my entire AI team teleported away from the enemy core right after we Dominated the enemy team.  All 4 of them just...took off.  One wandered to a seige camp and the other three teleported right back to base (and one of them actually remained there for the next full minute, just standing still.)  Naturally I couldn't take the core alone, and when the enemy team rezzed (with their core at 6%), they killed me (because nothing is better than computer-precision attacks from 5 enemies) and proceeded to walk directly into my base and destroy my core from 100 to 0 + full shield while under constant attack from all 4 of my teammates.  Not one of them was under half health when they won.

It's downright silly just how poorly made the AI Teammates mode is.  Every few games your team will act right and you'll get a win, but the odds of you actually influencing a win is pretty low (especially if you're not an assassin).  Early on, when practice mode gave you relaxing 13 minute games and completed quests, I was happy to spend a little money on the game.  From the time they changed it, I've lost ~70% of my matches in AI Teammate mode.  I keep logging in occasionally to suicide the other team until I complete a quest (because it doesn't matter if you suicide a lot...you'll get the same win rate) and then log off.  I refuse to spend another penny on this game until they do something to balance out the AI Teammates.  I keep hoping they will, but it's been about a month since the patch now and I'm losing hope.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    Played yesterday tis game 1 hour or so. very repeative and boring. or do u need be max level to have fun?

Quick match quickly shows its flaws in that it doesn't generally even try to give you a good team comp.  When you're 4 assassins and a tank going up against heals, two warriors, and two assassins..  It just ends ugly and frustratingly for the 4-assassin team.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Smite is decent just lacks the playerbase. 

Not sure what you mean by this.  It has a solid playerbase, and I would say is generally considered to rank third in the MOBA world behind LoL and DOTA.  There are plenty of players.