Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Camelot Unchained: We Are Older Than Average Gamers

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    and smarter than the average (care) bear? image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by JohnP0100
    I don't think you can explain it anyway.
    Like how do you say this to someone 'yeah I'm proud to play this VIDEO GAME X'
    It'll be awkward silence if you are lucky or laughed at.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and get dark on you.

How can people be proud of their bratty children?

I once asked my mother if she would support my brother if he went to prison for killing his wife. She said, of course, he's still my child no matter what he does.

Or being proud of someone who "fights" cancer.

You don't fight it any more than you fight getting hit by a bus. It either hits you severely or doesn't and you either catch it early or you don't. You either find treatment that works for you or it doesn't. As much as we are all alike, we aren't too. Why do some organ transplants fail while others work, did the person not "fight" hard enough.

How about the guy who is proud he takes care of his kids - that's what he's supposed to do. He helped produce them. What extra praise is needed.

How about the pride people have for quitting something they started like drugs, alcohol, smoking. If you start it why do you get to flounce around afterward that you stopped with pride. Especially when you are proud you aren't doing it because your demeanor was altered under an influence. It doesn't erase what you did because you don't do it but now you carry a token in your pocket and think everything is peachy keen.   

Maybe other things are prideful that you aren't seeing. I see people be proud about things all the time that may not even warrant it. So video game playing hasn't made it to the norm stage completely where you can run around claiming you are proud but it's getting close with all the people doing it now. Even my 60+ mother plays games and she never touched them all the years her kids had consoles. Now, in semi retirement, she likes them.

This is a pretty shallow post; shallow and clueless.

Ever had cancer or watched someone go through it?  "Fight" is actually a very good characterization of what takes place.  To put this in your vernacular; you can choose to take the disease on or you can choose to give up.  Treatments aren't a magic cure.

For someone that has kicked an addiction, good for them.  You can judge someone all you want but kicking addition isn't easy.  I guess in your world we should simply brand someone an addict and disallow them from feeling good about themselves following their stepping off the road of sobriety.  Nothing that person does from that point onward is deserving of praise since, hey it's their fault for getting addicted to something.  Right?

I could not disagree with you more.  Having the resolve to see one's self and make a change takes a lot of guts.  I hope someone does take pride in waking up and moving his or her life forward.

By the way, my best friend in the world lost his second fight with cancer a couple years ago.  He spent most of this time during treatment caring for his family and friends and being concerned for how we would be when he was gone.  A veteran of Desert Storm/Shield, and career soldier; he spent most of his life doing for others and approached the disease as he did most challenges in life with determination and strength.  I don't know that most of us would have the resolve and courage that he displayed but again in your world, he didn't do anything, they caught the cancer too late so hey.. too bad... so sad.

I will be proud of him and the character he displayed until the day I too pass from this earth

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• mac6115cdmac6115cd Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Don't be surprised if the next wave of gamers are retired. I'm getting close (within 5 years) and I look forward to having the time to play. I played DAOC at launch with my son, have invested in  CU through Kickstarter and plan to play as much as I can.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

This is what the industry has yet to embrace.

There are enough pc gamers spread across every age bracket to make any style of (good) game successful ... but you rare see developers actually target a specific age group. Other industries have age specific products but gaming, which makes more money than many industries combine, appears clueless to this demand.

When you take an mmo that is full of guilds run by mature players all sharing the exact same goals and interest and suddenly open the flood gates for anyone who typically do not give a shit about others ... you have a serious problem. Profit over community kills genres.

CSE (and a few others who I hope gain some success) decided to make a specific game for a specific group of players. There will be a ton of players who try CU and it simply won't be their style of game. This is a required element for community building. Targeting an specific audience means, by definition, limiting potential for earnings. The benefit? A more dedicated audience. More dedicated toward giving money for current and future profits. That is called old school business and it works for a reason. The sad fact is that gaming became a cash cow and exploiting customers has taken over.

The long term health of pc gaming will be associated with old school business practices. That is what makes an old school game ... it isn't just by design.

You stay sassy!

• JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Fighting off an addiction is something to be proud of. Fighting an incurable disease as well.
    Proud to like a particular video game over another? Yeah... that is the ROFL area.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    I think in order to make a great game today, the notion of turning profit overnight is going to have to be pulled away combined with the notion that profit needs to be maximized. That's crazy talk though. I can afford more today than I ever could, but I refuse to be an atm machine for video games. Talk to me 20 years ago, I would have given you my money. I don't expect free, but I also won't be taken advantage of either.

Oh that's just crazy talk, if part of your game design doesn't include nickel and diming your customers at every turn, then well your just not doing it right, I mean how is it possible to make a quality product that's worth paying for up front, it cant be done right?

• kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Fighting off an addiction is something to be proud of. Fighting an incurable disease as well.
    Proud to like a particular video game over another? Yeah... that is the ROFL area.

Tekken over Mortal Kombat anyday

Fite me xD

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    The way I view it is that with games like Camelot unchained, it's less about building a game I'm going to play and more about helping someone make a game that I want to see others play.  I want to see the games of my youth enrich the lives of the generations coming after me and if I can get the time to play them a bit, the better.  
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

Make this game require months to hit the level cap, like DAOC.  When I DAOC first came out, it took MONTHS to hit 50.  Then they sped up the 1-45 climb, then caved and sped up 45-50.  I even remember hearing about a vamp who dinged 50 in one day!  WTH.  So bring back the long haul to 50.

Now to mention the PVP aspect.  Bring back a old frontiers or even new frontiers style RVR and make the realm ranks take years as well.  Even if you can't devote a lot of time to the game, you have years to develop, its fine. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I'll fight anyone anywhere in Tekken. Wave dash for life!

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I played DAoC from launch day onward for a couple years.  It was the first game that I was able to purchase at launch and follow for multiple years.  Personally I miss those days of taking forever to reach lvl cap and doing rvr afterwards trying to gain realm ranks.  I think the "old-school" MMO can work even if most of us DAoC vets don't have as much time as we did.  We're the type of gamers that we can put the game down and realize, "Hey , it's not a race but man I can't wait till <blank> so I can play again".  We know what long hauls to cap is and that we're not gonna make it in a week so why fret.  

I think it will be the younger gamers that give CU a try are the ones that will get frustrated with the time investment and thats ok.  This game isn't targeting them although will completely welcome them.  However, with the design of the game being what it is, they might like it just as much as we do.  I mean, this is supposed to be lvling through PVP, so the tasks to level your character aren't going to be sit in said dungeon, group for 3 hours, get 1 lvl or get half a lvl type of progression.  No, it will be, find a group, go kill other ppl in certain areas or bring mats out to outposts, repair outposts or craft.  It is a much different form of progression and if CSE hits the nail on the head, we might finally have a game that is a long haul to cap but no one cares cause the core gameplay is fun as hell and doesn't focus on watching a exp bar.

I could be wrong or CSE could screw up and all of that could change.  However I think the "mature" gamers or us DAoC vets have a better idea of how to manage our time because:

1. We're older and have more experience doing it

2. We've done it before back in our DAoC, EQ, AC, Meridian59, SWG days.

So this is nothing new for us.  We may be out of practice since the industry has moved so close to the "casual friendly" play style where the amount of time to get to cap is about the same amount of time it took us to move a lvl or two in one of our previous games.  However, it's not something that is gonna kill us or make us stop playing something.  I look forward to my CU days coming forward and even though I haven't pledged yet although have been following since the KS announcement (I know, Bad boy *slaps hand*) I am hoping to pledge in the upcoming weeks, I think it will be a game that succeeds and hopefully shows that players can help build a game via kickstarter.  I play probably more than I should and have already gotten my  stepson into gaming at 9yro but I don't see that as a completely bad thing.  This will be something I hope he and I can play together as so many did in DAoC and get that feeling back of playing not only a great game but a game that takes skill and time to be good at, without sherking responsibilities and what not.  Great training for my stepson :-)

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

I see a Wildstar redux in the making here... the more they promise to give you the past, the more I know it will fail to deliver.

This game will be among all the others... using PR to try and wrangle in players of old only to find that it is the players of old that are the most fickle of all.

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

@Cramit845

Some great insights :)

The game is obviously geared towards RvR players.  The first and best iteration of that was DAoC, and that was 14 years ago.  It's players have grown and evolved.  So, I'd say that the younger generation haven't truly experienced it since I believe ESO and GW2 missed the mark.  If CSE could pull off CU as intended, that those players could discover what ex-DAoC players did back in te day.  I really do hope that's a possibility.

Since the game is being designed for community and persistence, I think the fact that it's core audience being more mature is a great benefit.  Like I always say, we have the ability to set the social precedent of the community. One where we demand not only accountability from the devs (and they upon themselves), but from the players as well.

I don't think gaming is going to go away anytime soon, so it's understandable that's become generational.  One thing that I found quite remarkable in DAoC were the amount of families that played back then.  I had more then one old guildmate that had either mothers, fathers, brothers, or uncles playing the game as well.  I hope this is a game where a player feels comfortable doing that.  Not only because it's fun, but because it's a non toxic environment.

There's a lot of stuff that is kept to the forums, but there is a wiki that's compiled a lot of the released information if we want to check on things.

• MissAdventureMissAdventure Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by jonp200
    Plus I am told this game has more fiber and we all need more fiber now....

I'm not sure why you are trolling this thread.  You are obviously a gamer, or you wouldn't be here.  So, there is some confusion regarding your earlier remarks that you seem to feel shame in telling people you do actually like gaming.  That's kind of your own personal issue, and trying to push it on the community isn't working.  Get over it? 

The other half of the message you seem to be trying to get across is you have a thing against older people.  Well, older gamers, if we are going to tie things in.  Guess what bud?  You're aging as well. 

I think there is a lot to be said about being comfortable with yourself and what you've done in the years you've walked this earth.  Being an avid gamer for decades, and having many friends that are in a similar situation, I have that whole "birds of a feather" thing going on.  I relate to gamers, and my friends relate to me as well.  I guess I'm lucky that way.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP

I guess I'm a bit taken aback by your apologetic attitude  toward older people. Apologetic(and perhaps a bit denigrating)  just because  people get older ? !

My reaction...you are not old enough to understand how silly that is.

PS

I look forward to your next article.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

I have to admit that I agree with the author of the blog.  I am 45 years old with 3 kids.  I honestly just don't have the energy to play much now.

I tend to get all of my work done and finally get the kids in bed and then I have maybe 30 minutes to an hour of fun.  That is time to do a SMITE game or queue up a quick thing in GW2, but that's about it.  There is no way I am going to be able to play hours and hours.

This is also why I tend to just join small friends and family guilds.  The big guilds are just too intrusive. (1) I don't want them manipulating/scheduling my time; and (2) I certainly don't want to hear them over teamspeak/voice/etc.

I think the RvR can work well for this though, if it is more RvR than guild vs. guild, because then it doesn't matter as much that I can't stand most large guilds.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I never understood the notion to equate age with maturity. Or being 'proud' to play one VIDEO GAME over another.

It's the immature who think on those levels to begin with.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by Distopia
    I never understood the notion to equate age with maturity. Or being 'proud' to play one VIDEO GAME over another.

It's the immature who think on those levels to begin with.

20 years Tekken player.

Still can't beat Asian kids.

Remember people: NO HATE, NO GAME

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!