Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 5 Million Units sold globally

MorlewenMorlewen Member UncommonPosts: 45

As Steve Fowler stated during a lecture over 5 million units were sold globally. This is since a long time the first officially launched number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLslqhBn3PU

The release of HoT was located in "this summer".

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

They dropped the price to ten bucks on a few occasions. Probably why they are announcing the new number. I know I picked it up for that price.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Anyone with properly working brain knew its around that number.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Yeah it's true they sold about 3 mil copies and then another 2 mil for cheap.

But hey at least the 5 mil number is honest.

So this isn't a blatant lie like the FF14 add exclaiming "4 million players"

Harbinger of Fools
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    It's possible that some players may have spent the initial 10 dollars and bought some gems with another 20-30 if they felt the need for some bank space. It may be a smaller percentage but surely there are some out there who felt it may've been okay to put a few bucks in. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Well it's good news for a good game.

Obviously some of that would be on offer but hadn't they sold something like 2m before the game even had it's first offer?

Also they must make A LOT of money from microtransactions... a lot of people buy gems.

..Cake..

• arakkunearakkune Member UncommonPosts: 24
    guys did u see he said the xpac is being launched this summer in the comments is the link to the exact minute. do u think its viable?
  • rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Not stunning numbers, but still it is not that bad :)
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Morlewen As Steve Fowler stated during a lecture over 5 million units were sold globally. This is since a long time the first officially launched number. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLslqhBn3PU The release of HoT was located in "this summer".  

Not all sales are equal  in terms of profits - when you sell the game for $10 only about a couple of bucks goes to the Dev studio.

Also sales in China, and many other markets in terms of profits are less than a dollar per copy.

They make money on cash shop thats what this whole model is about cash shop.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Morlewen

As Steve Fowler stated during a lecture over 5 million units were sold globally. This is since a long time the first officially launched number.

Not all sales are equal  in terms of profits - when you sell the game for $10 only about a couple of bucks goes to the Dev studio.

Also sales in China, and many other markets in terms of profits are less than a dollar per copy.

that system is same for all mmos and they all reduce the price at some point even wow offers lower prices during events like new year and all..non the less 5 million people(a little less because of people with multiple accounts) cared to spend 10 bucks at least on the game..more than i can say about  most of the f2p or b2p mmos..particularly considering this is basically a western developed mmo..because asian market is by far bigger than west..for western mmo gw2 was/is successful.

They said over 3m sales in first 6 months when there was no 10$ deals, in fact it was a long long time until first discounts appeared.

-------------------------

As for "this summer", i already said that they probably aim or 3rd anniversary. I guess many people are in denial they were working on it for a while now, NCSot said 2 years ago there will be exapnsion. *shrug*

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    However you slice this pie, I think GW2 comes up in the profit category and not the loss category.

I self identify as a monkey.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by rastapastor

Not that bad? :P

Doesn't 5mil boxes make it one of the best selling mmos of all time?

..Cake..

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    However you slice this pie, I think GW2 comes up in the profit category and not the loss category.

As the figures are readily available when it comes to profit/loss, and was discussed on this website at that, i don't think anyone is really suggesting the game is making a loss,  although, it was also fairly clear that in terms of sales GW2 had tapered off fairly drastically, but that is only box figures afaik, i think in terms of actual revenue, GW2 is probably driven more by cash shop sales. how true that is, i'll leave to anyone with a mind to wade through NCSofts financials though image

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/9392/NCSoft-Earnings-Not-Everyones-Drinking-Champagne-in-the-Executive-Suite.html

yeah, wildstar.. not a pretty sight there either image

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by sgel

It should put into the top 10, and possibly, not sure tbh, even into the top 5. image

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Yeah it's true they sold about 3 mil copies and then another 2 mil for cheap.

But hey at least the 5 mil number is honest.

So this isn't a blatant lie like the FF14 add exclaiming "4 million players"

they said 4 million account.  That probably count free trial players too.

I think players just assume too much.  And marketing like to mislead people.  But it's mostly the players assuming too much.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Not all profits are wrapped up in box prices. We ahve already seen the report showing GW2 profits and they are doing just fine!!!

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I'm interested to see what the sale numbers look like for the expansion when it launches. That will tell more about overall success. I figure a lot of people will be like me and will not buy the expansion since they weren't pleased with the grindy over hyped core product.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Good to hear. It's a high quality title with a crap load of stuff to do. If anyone grabbed it for $10 they got a steal. I bought the digital deluxe when the game released and have since then bought 3 copies when they go $10. They make great gifts for all the nerds in your family. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Not to mention alternate accounts that people picked up, since it was cheaper to get 5 more character slots for $10 than buying them with gems.

5 million isn't that much either, when compared to other games.  HoT might sell quite a bit, but i'll be surprised if it's over 2 million.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Phry

It should put into the top 10, and possibly, not sure tbh, even into the top 5. image

Well, if wikipedia is to be believed:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest-selling_products#Video_games

• MMO game – Guild Wars 2, selling more than 3 million copies in the first nine months.[8]
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Isn't the fact that 5 million copies of the game were sold a success story in and of itself?  Do we really need to bring up that some of those sales were not at full price?

/geez, people!

Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by Phry

Well, if wikipedia is to be believed:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest-selling_products#Video_games

• MMO game – Guild Wars 2, selling more than 3 million copies in the first nine months.[8]

Look at infographic from ANet. Yes, they said 3 m as of JANUARY 2013.

https://timenerdworld.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/guild-wars-2-infographic.png

So yeah, both wiki and article are wrong. So much for DFC Intelligence another "great" analyst site that cant even properly read simple infographic.

And it doesnt even matter that much, unlike other stuff we have EXACT NCSoft western revenue (+unknown royalties) so we know its doing great, and 5m is great if you look at MMOs. Its not bad when you look at all games either.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I recently went back to play this game and it's good fun. But three things went through my mind:

All I do seems to be be fighting. Want to go to A - B? Fight your way there. Want to look at a Vista? Fight you way there. Want to fetch a skill point? Fight you way there. Fed ex quest? Fight! need resources? Fight. Events? Fight! You get the picture. Mod density and respawn rate is such, that even to do a simple task turns into a battle. The fact that events regularly spawn around you it doesn't help and it all becomes a little wearisome in the end.

The game already looks dated. This was a shock because I haven't played it since it's release and I remembered it as a good looking game with lots of colour. But when I logged in and took a look my first thought was that this game has aged badly. It looks too glossy and the colours vibrant. But the world feels flat and empty.

My third point is harder to articulate. But the game seems to lack substance. Even in FF14 or WoW I felt the world had a completeness about it. Maybe it's the way the quests work or the way that NPC seem radomly generated or something else I can't put my finger on. But items and loot seem to come to easily and I breeze past zones, quests etc with hardly a thought.

But the gameplay itself is fantastic. controls are responsive and the combat is fun if lacking a bit of variety.

I think I should point out that 5million units is an extraordinary amount to sell. Put it this way, Halo sold 6 - 5 million copies and is regarded as a huge sucess in the industry. Some well known games have "only" really sold 1.5 million copies.  Even though it looks like I criticised the game a lot I maintain that this is a huge sucess.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Arakazi

I recently went back to play this game and it's good fun. But three things went through my mind:

All I do seems to be be fighting. Want to go to A - B? Fight your way there. Want to look at a Vista? Fight you way there. Want to fetch a skill point? Fight you way there. Fed ex quest? Fight! need resources? Fight. Events? Fight! You get the picture. Mod density and respawn rate is such, that even to do a simple task turns into a battle. The fact that events regularly spawn around you it doesn't help and it all becomes a little wearisome in the end.

The game already looks dated. This was a shock because I haven't played it since it's release and I remembered it as a good looking game with lots of colour. But when I logged in and took a look my first thought was that this game has aged badly. It looks too glossy and the colours vibrant. But the world feels flat and empty.

My third point is harder to articulate. But the game seems to lack substance. Even in FF14 or WoW I felt the world had a completeness about it. Maybe it's the way the quests work or the way that NPC seem radomly generated or something else I can't put my finger on. But items and loot seem to come to easily and I breeze past zones, quests etc with hardly a thought.

But the gameplay itself is fantastic. controls are responsive and the combat is fun if lacking a bit of variety.

I think I should point out that 5million units is an extraordinary amount to sell. Put it this way, Halo sold 6 - 5 million copies and is regarded as a huge sucess in the industry. Some well known games have "only" really sold 1.5 million copies.  Even though it looks like I criticised the game a lot I maintain that this is a huge sucess.

I think in most rpgs and mmorpgs you fight mobs, It's a core part of the genre. Also if you take a look at your third paragraph you stated you can easily breeze past zones, quests, etc with hardly a thought, so it can't be too troublesome.

I guess dated graphics are a matter of opinion, but I think the game has uniquely beautiful look to it. Because of the ink brush artwork, I find it hard to compare to other games like ESO for example. ESO is a beautiful game as well, but has a more tradition look to it. /shrug 

I'm not sure what to tell you about your third point. When I play WoW I get items from nearly every mob I kill. Same with almost every title that is out today. Now, if you are getting exotic gear every kill in GW2, than you would have a good point. As far as breezing through zones I believe that was the idea Anet had when they developed the title, it's suppose to be a more casual game. You could try going to different zones that are higher than your level for more of a challenge, play naked, or turn off the monitor and play by sound! j/k  :)

And yes, 5 million of anything is a good number, unless you are a golfer! ha

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by observer

Not to mention alternate accounts that people picked up, since it was cheaper to get 5 more character slots for $10 than buying them with gems.

5 million isn't that much either, when compared to other games.  HoT might sell quite a bit, but i'll be surprised if it's over 2 million.

5 mio sold boxes isnt much?

AFAIK, there is only one other mmo, that did it better...guess which?

i bet most devs would KILL , to get those numbers