Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is quite challenging.

Comments

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Stuka1000
    I played the game for about 7 - 8 hours and uninstalled.  It was just tedious to play.  The xp gain is way too low, one of the quests gives just 10xp, it's laughable.  This means that you are only about level 4 when leaving the first area only to have level 9 mobs thrown at you in the second.  I also suffer from arthritis in my hands so I'm not as quick on the keys as I used to be and the KB / Mouse controls are pathetic.  I can see why some people love the game but for me it's just an exercise in frustration.  

The main quest line gives the majority of the xp. The main quest line alone gives enough xp to complete the game.

There are monsters in the game you can't kill right away.  What a shock.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

I play all single player games on the hardest settings without exception first up.If I find it impossible I will lower it one but never lower.It can be done,it just takes patience.

There was another thread on these forums about  Pillars of Eternity and only 6.4% of people that purchased it have completed it. 

Says it all about the 'NEW' wave of gamers MMORPG or single player. Just look at what has happened to once great strategy games like Civilisation,Heroes of Might & Magic ,fu~k game play for graphics and you have a lesser game.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Thank you OP for your review you just saved me $60. I love games like this but not this hard. I play to have fun not to get frustrated. I love Skyrim, I have a blast playing it and I have already logged in less than a month over 200 hours of play. I like the way TW3 looks but I am not a masoquist who enjoys getting kill every 3 steps.
    MrMelGibson

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Playing the game on normal difficulty and you can still get a kicking.Been killed a few times by mobs encircling me and me not noticing.Once they start on you you cannot get away with signs cos they keep battering you.Would'nt have it any other way though.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    @mayito
    Hey you can turn it to "just the story " sure it's rather easy but no cake walk and you still need to make sure you are not fighting something ten levels higher.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff35
    @mayito
    Hey you can turn it to "just the story " sure it's rather easy but no cake walk and you still need to make sure you are not fighting something ten levels higher.

Oh Hi Tassle....I see your enjoying The Witcher 3.  Me too, at least we agree on something right ?

:)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    Thank you OP for your review you just saved me $60. I love games like this but not this hard. I play to have fun not to get frustrated. I love Skyrim, I have a blast playing it and I have already logged in less than a month over 200 hours of play. I like the way TW3 looks but I am not a masoquist who enjoys getting kill every 3 steps.

Lets put it this way, My wife will not play challenging games, she quits rather quick after a few deaths, with the witcher 3 she barely dies and has played non-stop since release. It's not that bad...

MrMelGibson

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Hmmm may have to rethink and give the Wticher a try.
    MrMelGibson

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Originally posted by syntax42

It is hard to get a general idea of how the combat actually plays out by reading reviews.  The few that I read only hyped the game and made it seem like the next big action RPG.  I somewhat regret my purchase.

If you like methodical, unforgiving combat, similar to Dark Souls, this game is for you.  It might not be as hard as Dark Souls, but it isn't anywhere near as easy as other action RPGs.  Expect to spend almost as much time gathering crafting ingredients for potions and other life-restoring items as it takes to get through the quests.  Save after every fight and heal up after every fight.

Even on the easiest difficulty, I find it difficult to fight monsters that I haven't faced before.  Their patterns and attacks take time to learn.  I think they should have set the player with a higher level coming out of the first zone to make fighting some of the monsters easier until they can learn the various patterns.  Instead, I'm taking huge hits from small mistakes and have no other way to gain an advantage over my opponents.

If you don't mind getting frustrated by fights and having to save/load often, this game might be for you.  If you're looking for something less frustrating and more along the lines of Skyrim or Assassin's Creed, avoid this game.

Couple of hints ive picked up, Dont know if others have advised of these, but like you im a witcher n00b and LOVING this game

1 - Dont roll, dodge, if you dodge it gives you oppurtinity to counter and counter attacks can hurt your opponents more :)

2 - Once you craft an alchemy recipie you dont need the mats again, everytime you rest it will replenish using dwarven ale if you dont have the mats, yes, you need to get mats for the first craft, but after that you wont need them, often you will find the general traders will have the 'more unusual' items.

3- Regular saves, keep F5 hot :) before a fight , F5 , after a fight f5

4 Dont be afraid to run away, ive had to run into a group, kiill 2 out of the group then run away to lose agro, F5 . Rest and then go again to kill a group of mobs.

5 Do ALL the ? this will give you nice loot and also nice xp :)

But loving this game, so far im 55hours played and still im only in novigrad city, just about finished the quest with trish, now just doing the other ones , side quests etc.

Im definatly going to get more than 500 hours game time from this bad-boy :) and loving it, and thats before any release / future relaases

MrMelGibson

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

I never finished the second one for this reason.....sort of.

For me, it wasn't about difficulty.  It seemed like a shabby combat system.  If an enemy blocks you, you're pretty much screwed and open to a huge haymaker counter attack while you stumble.  I think that one thing is what frustrated me about it, more than anything else.  If YOU block..well it's just pathetic but I guess that makes sense given that you've got some several hundred pound thing about to smack you in the dome lol.

The dodge roll worked well enough, for example...but yeah if you get blocked by the right mob you're done.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I started on the hardest difficulty and it wasn't that hard.  It got easier as I upgraded skills.  If you go down the sign tree and put points in the second Quenn ability i gives you life back when hit.  Yrden, Ard and Igni will incapacitate your enemies.  Axii is good for dialogue options.  I don't think it's that hard.  There is a tutorial on how to do everything in game.  You also have a bestiary that tells you all your enemies weaknesses.  Part of the fun is usually figuring these types of things out in a game.  Without that you are just watching a movie.  I find with the !, ?, and bestiary I am mostly told both how to do everything and where to go to do it.  In the old games there was nothing to guide you at all.  You just winged it and did the best you could.  :)
    MrMelGibson
  • FreikorpFreikorp Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I just ended the witcher 3 and that's an awesome game..waiting for the first expansion on october!
  • iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106
    edited January 2016
    I feel like there are some misconceptions when it comes to The Witcher 3 and how hard it actually is. I am quite surprised that there are so many people who consider TW3 as a hard gaming experience. There are even reviews out there that mention the ''challenging difficulty''.

Now, let me start by saying that I am in no way a hardcore gamer. In fact, I barely play games. Usually busy with university and other things to do in life, I tend to not have the time to play that much. Having siad that, TW3 was by no means a hardcore experience to me. Comparing it to Dark Souls is a stretch. I played the game on normal difficulty and it was mostly a smooth run. Yes, it was challenging at times but I found it fun. I found it fun to fight the Griffin and also great to realize that I actually sucked when fighting the drowners. I kept running away from them because I thought they were strong when in fact I was simply not experienced with how the combat system works. Some witcher hunts and even main story quests tend to be a bit hard. You may die once or twice until you get the hang of it. However, for me, it wasn't really fraustrating but rather interesting to die or simply not being able to kill the monster and start to figure out what they are weak against.

I should say that most of these ''problems'' exist at the start of the game exclusivly. When you start to get hang of it, the game actually tends to get much easier and the XP problem totally disappears. You WILL outlevel the main storyline if you are playing sidecontent and exploring  on normal. That's mainly why I turned it to the next highest difficulty. Because I wanted to enjoy the game rather than rolling through like superman. Even on the next highest difficulty, I find the content to not be that hard. It is more challenging to do witcher contracts and main quests  + you gain less XP from quests which is important if you want to finish side-things without massivly outeveling the main storyline. 

TW3 is by no means a hardcore experience in my eyes. I would say that the normal difficulty is the next highest one. Normal being quite easy and easy being well.. really easy. The game's prolouge is by no means an indication of how hard it actually is. The game gets much easier later on when you start to get skills/weapons/potions etc. and learn the combat. Personally, as a person, who usually only enjoys story, I turned it on high to experienec those fun ''boss'' encounters rather than just beating everyone easily. Also, levels DOES play a big role here. It is the purpose of the game, to meet people that are higher level than you, level up and then come back to beat them. It doesn't happen in the main quests though as you will almost always be on the same lvl or even higher than main story as long as you explore a bit in-between.

TW3 is a gaming experience that is in no way near Dark Souls. It is quite simple but does require you to learn its' mechanics. This is not a Skyrim experience where you are going to roll through everyone. You are going to need to dodge, use your signs and in some case, read monster describtions to see what they are weak against. You can't just put a blindfold, and spam left click like in many other modern RPGs.
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Did we play the same game? I found combat facerollingly easy - there might of been a handful of times where I decided to be an idiot and Leeroy'd myself to death, but for the most part I found it straightforward and simple.

That being said. I played with a controller on a PC. If you're trying to play with a mouse and keyboard...you're fucking insane.
    Lyrian said:
    Did we play the same game? I found combat facerollingly easy - there might of been a handful of times where I decided to be an idiot and Leeroy'd myself to death, but for the most part I found it straightforward and simple.

That being said. I played with a controller on a PC. If you're trying to play with a mouse and keyboard...you're fucking insane.
    Seems people are way too used to spamming left click and expecting to kill everything without giving the context a second thought. TW3 requires you to use its' combat mechanics. You have to dodge, use the signs, use potions if your on higher difficulties and figure out what monsters are weak against in witcher contracts (many witcher contracts are faceroll to be fair, but some are harder and I find them really fun).

I am not done with the game yet. I am playing on next highest difficulty and I am considering to move up to Death March (highest) since I want the game to feel more epic.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    It's a bit slow to start.

I did the tutorial part, got to the first "main" area after talking to the Emperor dude but yeah it's tough, everything seems higher level than me. 

Guess I just have to keep exploring and finding random side quests that aren't level 33+ lol

Right now I'm glad I picked it up for $25 on Black Friday, as I am not loving it, but I plan to give it a bit more time and see if it grows on me, or rather I grow into it, with a few more levels under my belt.
    edited January 2016
    heerobya said:
    It's a bit slow to start.

I did the tutorial part, got to the first "main" area after talking to the Emperor dude but yeah it's tough, everything seems higher level than me. 

Guess I just have to keep exploring and finding random side quests that aren't level 33+ lol

Right now I'm glad I picked it up for $25 on Black Friday, as I am not loving it, but I plan to give it a bit more time and see if it grows on me, or rather I grow into it, with a few more levels under my belt.
    First and foremost, we all have different opinions, so you may end up not liking it. However, I personally happened to have a simliar experience to yours. I thought that the main story is interesting however, coming to Velen (first area), I felt lost and not attatched to the world by any means.

However, you will quickly get over this feeling. You will find alot of sidequests that will boost your level. Also, playing the main question will lead you to many sidequests too. Quickly enough, you will explore the land, and the random villages that mean nothing to you start to give you nice nostalgic references of quests you happened to finish and people you happened to save. You will become slowly stronger and it will feel special to go back to this or that monster that kicked your ass. Just that this time you are going to kick their ass instead.

The more you play, the more TW3 world will feel alive. You will start to notice all the references, how the villages and wildlife change based on your decisions and how random notes you find on a notice board (that doesn't start quest, they are just there and u think they are filler) will later on perhaps help you in a future quest. 

Interestingly enough not all legends and sayings are true. Sometimes, I have happened to read books (that I found while exploring) or read notices about a character that is supposed to be evil, only to find out that these are only legends and the truth is different

PS. Don't forget to explore the world around you. Just running around the map may get you into alot of trouble but also into great places that could start amazing quests. 
    PS2. White Orchard (the prolouge area) has a couple of sidequests too, don't forget to finish them.
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Lyrian said:

"Has PC Master Race as profile, plays with a controller."

Sorry i had to :D
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    @iGumballStar ;

Thanks! 

Hope it really starts to click for me. Firstly, because I don't really have anything else to play right now besides Destiny lol and secondly, because I love getting engrossed in a solid RPG.

Next game on my list is going to be the new Tomb Raider - loved the first one, some good RPG elements but mainly just a solid action game. 
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    If you play it on easy mode you will not be frustrated and you will enjoy one of the best RPG'S ever made
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I am an average combat player and did not have to much trouble playing on one step above normal, when it came time to fight a boss I switched to normal. You need to move and do not rush the monster unless you can hit it in the side or back. crafting helps alot, put the right oil on your blade for the right monster (nexus mods has a mod that automatically puts the right oil on) I find the combat in this game easier than Witcher 2 or kingdom come  
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Distopia said:
    Originally posted by mayito7777

Lets put it this way, My wife will not play challenging games, she quits rather quick after a few deaths, with the witcher 3 she barely dies and has played non-stop since release. It's not that bad...

That's cause the witcher 3 isn't hard. It's just tedious. Witcher 2 was a harder and more challenging game than witcher 3 will ever be.

So long as you don't go up against a monster that's way higher level than you in witcher 3, it's easily beatable. You didn't have that concept in witcher 2. You had to be ready to fight period. Like all the times you had to fight the witcher from the snake school in witcher 2. There was no "go level up and come back when you're stronger" lol.

Witcher 3 just isn't challenging, merely tedious and filled with way too much empty bullshit of traveling from generic town a to generic town b. Even the hunts were all mind numbingly alike. It was a well made game for what it is, but some people talk it up way too much.
    Octagon7711

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Play for awhile get bored, play for awhile get bored, wash and repeat.  I tend to really enjoy games that change the environment a lot.  W3 had some good missions and characters though.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Pfft, hard?  Try archery in KCD without the target reticle mod.  Or the lockpicking mechanic (specifically prior to the patch that gave you actual points of reference). ;)

Archery in KCD will even injure your arm if you don't equip an armguard.

Witcher 3 encourages you to take up magic or alchemy because, well, that's an important part of the Witcher's toolbelt.

As for combat difficulty, you actually have to dodge out of the way of attacks to dodge them.  There aren't i-frames as far as I know.  I enjoyed that, because it added an extra layer of skill to dodging.  Remember: dodge roll is generally the best to use against monsters, but sidestepping and parrying are your go-to's for human opponents.

For all three, I almost completely ignored alchemy in favor of being a spellsword type Witcher.  You can eat any food in the game to regen health, so alchemy is only really useful if you have a specific monster attack (i.e. poison) or a particularly tough monster that puts you at a huge disadvantage if you don't brew some specific potions to imbibe before the fight.

It's one of those RPGs where you can actually take down mobs much higher than you with persistent effort and a nimble dodge finger, but you can also easily suffer wounds from weaker monsters that like to swarm.  Bombs and the Quen sign are you friends here.

Read the bestiary entries, they actually give you useful insight on monster weaknesses and particularly brutal monster attacks (aforementioned poison from the cockatrice being one).

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    If you play "death march", yes, it's challenging...first two are just easy walk, 3rd one can have some hard encounters but overall, it's quite eazy too....so comparing this to Dark souls like games is quite funny, hehe, but well, tbh if you're very familiar with Dark souls like combat, even Dark souls, Bloodborne, Nioh, it gets all not that hard overall...and going back to witcher, skyrim etc. is just joke...interesting is that I found myself struggling in God of War on highest difficulty, finished but daaamn, some parts were crazy with Valkyries..