Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am no troll...matter fact I barely post here, but old school gaming...sucks.

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

After playing Ragefire EQ 1 progression server it made me realize this kind of gaming, is dead and dated now.For one, no one has the mind set of the past im sure a few gamers do but every one is rushing to server first, playing easy solo classes, hardly any one wants to group, when you do group no one is social, no one wants to talk, no one wants to build communities, no one wants to take it slow...

A majority on this server want to box and take down bosses and level asap. Though its not their fault, its just how gaming has now become, even I who rooted for old school gaming, am now seeing how this type of mmorpg is not really fun any more. In the past I had no job, really no life, I was in high school just hung out with friends and played video games, didnt need a scheduel or family to worry about, etc. I could stay in my room for hours on end going on adventures, meeting other people and have great convos.

Well those people who were basement dwellers, staying in their room, living off their moms, now find themselves well some of them...find themselves with jobs, time management, families, lives etc..so not needing to depend on forming a group, waiting for others to level etc is a good thing for a lot of us, thats why almost 99% of the players on ragefire are mages or casters because its easy to level, no needing to depend on a group, and its fast.

A mmorpg like old school EQ will not be what people think it will be. Embrace twitch gaming, gaming where time management is viable etc. Its just the way of the future.

Comments

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    This thread is absurd. Let's all just rethink these posts & end this thread.
    -Chuckles
  • nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219
    I dont post here cause i dont have the need to...until i finished playing old school EQ something needed to be said
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by nomatics856

After playing Ragefire EQ 1 progression server it made me realize this kind of gaming, is dead and dated now.For one, no one has the mind set of the past im sure a few gamers do but every one is rushing to server first, playing easy solo classes, hardly any one wants to group, when you do group no one is social, no one wants to talk, no one wants to build communities, no one wants to take it slow...

A majority on this server want to box and take down bosses and level asap. Though its not their fault, its just how gaming has now become, even I who rooted for old school gaming, am now seeing how this type of mmorpg is not really fun any more. In the past I had no job, really no life, I was in high school just hung out with friends and played video games, didnt need a scheduel or family to worry about, etc. I could stay in my room for hours on end going on adventures, meeting other people and have great convos.

Well those people who were basement dwellers, staying in their room, living off their moms, now find themselves well some of them...find themselves with jobs, time management, families, lives etc..so not needing to depend on forming a group, waiting for others to level etc is a good thing for a lot of us, thats why almost 99% of the players on ragefire are mages or casters because its easy to level, no needing to depend on a group, and its fast.

A mmorpg like old school EQ will not be what people think it will be. Embrace twitch gaming, gaming where time management is viable etc. Its just the way of the future.

That's not old school. It's a cheesy attempt. You want old school? Go play Project 99

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Really the problem isn't EQ or old games, or even old gamers. The problem is that you went on a progression server which, for better or worse, tend to attract "achievers" and elitists.

By comparison, Daybreak games recently came to an agreement with Project 1999, in which P99 agreed to hold off releasing Velious until August, for which they get Daybreak's permission to legally run a classic server as a non profit. Now, I can vouch for the p99 server and it's community and I would recommend you try it if you want a true old school EQ experience.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I recall another recent thread where it was said for a real EQ old school experience, P99 was going to be it, not the new progression server, which when you thinkabout about the name you understand how people are going to approach it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Charlie.Cheswick

As absurd as the "MMO's are not MMO's anymore!" or the equally idiotic "MMO gaming sucks now!"

I agree it should be closed and redirected to one of those threads.

• jaxomejaxome Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I see old school guys mostly talk about wanting something they lost, wanting games made for them again, instead of games being made for the mainstream and catering to the lowest common denominator. I get why you like your convenience and stuff,  but I do not understand why all the hate. I hate WoW for everything it is, but I respect why some one like you might think it is the best mmorpg ever, why cant you respect that to me it is barely an mmorpg? I get why you want an easy quick experience with some instant gratification thrown in, but you really dont get why the rest of us might want something different? For me nothing will ever be as awesome as SWG, it was starwars lol that alone made it the shit.... Point is long after I had grinded out every class in the game minus one or two (old school jedi could need you to do that to unlock your jedi), after I had a few sets of gear waiting for me at home in case my current gear got killed, after I built my home and ran 1 billion missions, after I basically beat the game, I could still throw on my imperial robes and go wait out side a starport some place and recruit players to the Empire, hangout in a space port and create my own content. We still had a community and world and people living in it... I get why you think we were a bunch of trolls living in our basement but do you really not get how we had community and less tards trying to break the game cause they wanna troll? You know the mainstream has lots of trolls and angry "jock" kids who wanna break your toys cause they just dont like you right? Look what the mainstream kids and trion worlds did together with Archeage... Do you really not see the many ways in which the wave of the future your talking about is also screwing up an entire group of games for all of us old school guys who might want something with more depth then your mmo with lfg and instant travel and auction houses? It is simple in my brain, we just need a few decent game devs to accept the idea of making enough money with a game, or with making long term money with the game, and not with the idea of being a wow clone and making all the money, 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

On top of that, there is already a discussion along the same lines about the subject.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Amjoco

On top of that, there is already a discussion along the same lines about the subject.

There always is, always.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

It is exactly what many people think what it is ... boring big grind, less like a game, more like a chore.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I don't like the old school.  I don't like the new school.  I want out of school and into Florida Spring Break.  Dragon breeding with genetics.  Dark Arisen graphics.  Someone solve the lag issue once and FOR ALL so we can make a real mmo.

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283

LOL..I almost stopped reading at the title then stopped after the first paragraph. You're sentiments are about 5-7 yrs old. Gaming is moving on...

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Still waiting for an MMO that really captures the spirit of Ultima Online - Renaissance.

They did so, so, so many things right following the Trammel/Felucca split.

• Callidor80Callidor80 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 21

Old school games had depth, mechanics to keep you playing and finding new things. Games these days are simply catering to the medicated generation , dumbed down so you dont feel any failure and get all huffy and quit.

Face it kids, old school games were made for men, while most new school games are made for little boys that have no attention span or determination to succeed.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Callidor80

Old school games had depth, mechanics to keep you playing and finding new things. Games these days are simply catering to the medicated generation (I am assuming that is you based on your articulation), dumbed down so you dont feel any failure and get all huffy and quit.

Face it kids, old school games were made for men, while most new school games are made for little boys that have no attention span or determination to succeed.

Though I can't agree with your demeaning tone, and I certainly started playing MMOs back when I was just a boy (1999) -

I heard recently that the average attention span for a person in America is now less than that of a gold fish. 

Something like 7 seconds. 

A seven second attention span. Ridiculous!

No wonder MMO design has gone the way it has - the average player needs something to stimulate them every 5 seconds!

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I'm not old school, but I even I can see the obvious, and your post confirms as much.  It's not the old school games that suck, it's the new school players playing them that make them suck.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Callidor80

Old school games had depth, mechanics to keep you playing and finding new things. Games these days are simply catering to the medicated generation (I am assuming that is you based on your articulation), dumbed down so you dont feel any failure and get all huffy and quit.

Though I can't agree with your demeaning tone, and I certainly started playing MMOs back when I was just a boy (1999) -

I heard recently that the average attention span for a person in America is now less than that of a gold fish. 

Something like 7 seconds. 

A seven second attention span. Ridiculous!

No wonder MMO design has gone the way it has - the average player needs something to stimulate them every 5 seconds!

You could argue that most of playing an old school MMO is a waste of time.  I guess that it's not a waste if you are having fun, but you are generally just repeating the same things over and over again.  Even today's fast MMOs just repeat the same small amount of things, but certain elements are switched up a bit.  Sometimes you start to feel like a mouse on a wheel following the cheese.  You aren't really learning anything new, but you are content to repeat the same thing over and over again.  I think there is too much knowledge out there for this type of MMO to exist anymore.  I had a lot of fun playing games like UO and EQ, but that was a time where knowledge wasn't really cherished.  It was more a time of just having fun without a care in the world.  The world has changed a lot due to competition and vast amounts of people being more educated.  I don't know which way is better, but it's generally good to have more knowledge and spend more time gaining it.  Perfecting the small amount of game mechanics in an MMO will likely help you in some way, but after a certain point of repetition it will no longer do anything for you.  There is also the influx of entertainment in this day and age to consider (at least if you live in America).  There is so much entertainment that there is no reason to repeat the same thing over and over again.  When I was a kid I watched Star Wars and Indiana Jones hundreds of times.  That would be unthinkable in this day and age.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Subjective.

OP just doesn't know how to appreciate the classics.

Among other folks on these boards who just don't appreciate how far video gaming has come.

Generation blame game, and folks who think they represent everyone from one generation to another.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Hey guys, I'm not a troll. I'm just going to make an inflammatory post bashing a group of people who like a particular play style and finish it off by questioning their economic status. I don't post here much though, so its okay...

What about those trolls who shit on new MMOs and sing the praises of old school games and always finish it off ny saying that new games are for kids or the simpleminded? Are those people not trolls too? 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

I normally loathe the whole "old school vs new" argument but i'll keep it simple.

In my opinion, there's a lot of unrest because of the way games have changed.  We got all the changes we wanted in newer games such as convenience ala Group Finders, fast-travel, etc.  What nobody ever considered was how the core gameplay would change around said upgrades. 

I wish we could have the best of both worlds, but as of right now, there's nothing that offers it.    Maybe one day something revolutionary will come along and blow us all away but until then we have what we have, and the older games are still out there (for the most part) if you really need to go back and see things from a pre-WoW perspective.

This whole topic gets a giant shoulder shrug from me.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I just hate linear quest hub themeparks.  Being forcing to quest down a linear path and told what to do, at every step, by NPCs sucks.  I think people are more rebelling against this than they are saying EQ in 1999 was perfect.

OP, I'm confused by your argument.  So you aren't really blaming EQ in 1999, you are blaming yourself (for having no free time) and other gamers because they are less patient than they used to be.  You should probably change the title of this thread to better reflect your post.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    It is my experience if you lable yourself an "old school " or "new school" gamer you will most likely QQ about everthing and never be happy. Both these self proclaimed groups have destroyed MMORPGS more than any developer ever could.
  • cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    I couldn't disagree more, I am having the best time I've had in years with an MMO on Ragefire.  But you are certainly entitled to your opinion. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

Subjective.

OP just doesn't know how to appreciate the classics.

Of course it is subject.

I will first to admit i do not know how to appreciate slow traveling, down-time, corpse run, camping, and all those very tedious and boring activity to me.

But i don't have to ... it is a free market. I don't have to play any game that i feel is not fun. If you do, it is fine. Please enjoy waiting in line camping.

My wife loves romance novels and I don't ... so i totally understand how people can like totally different entertainment. (And i am sure she rolls her eyes every time i mentioned the Avengers).

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Hey guys, I'm not a troll. I'm just going to make an inflammatory post bashing a group of people who like a particular play style and finish it off by questioning their economic status. I don't post here much though, so its okay...

Well, he definitely isn't a troll.

People use the word troll for everything these days. *bleh*

I miss the troll. They were clever. Usually smarter than most people. A good troll would come this forum, find a juicy thread and then post a response telling everyone how stupid their ideas are (trap), making sure to include a few spelling errors in their post (bait).

Then just sit back and watch the dumb animals flock to the trap, because forum posters just can't let a spelling error go without commentary.

Like taking candy from a baby.

Optional PvP = No PvP