Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many returning player will WildStar lose because of 2-step Auth?

KardiamondKardiamond Member UncommonPosts: 52

Hi all,

I just had an issue, and out of curiosity, I want to know if anyone reacted like me and my friends, and how much it can affect a game such as Wildstar.

We played wildstar, got bored, stopped and now we wanted to comeback.

It won't happen. We got blocked because we didn't have our authentificator anymore. 

We went to the forum, but the only way to remove it is by using the support. No phone call support, no week end support. 

Meh, no time to lose. We started another MMO. We won't be returning to WildStar. Especially with the announcement of free to play WildStar, the forum seem to be full of player having the same issue.

I was wondering, could it really affect the come back of WildStar? We are a group that start games together, and when we want to play, we don't want to wait 3-4 days. Like with WildStar, we got turned down and just started playing ESO again.

What do you think of the 2 step authentificator issue? Because it's an issue, the support is flooded. And they "forced" it on player, if you wanted the EXP buff. 

Could it affect the "returning population"? This it happen to you?

Comments

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    My issue was solved on a saturday after submitting it friday night.  Process was pretty painless.  I just went out and forgot about it until I received the email telling me it was resolved.
  • KardiamondKardiamond Member UncommonPosts: 52

Yeah I understand.

Sadly we were chosing between TESO and Wildstar, and we didn't have to wait 24h.

• viletot0viletot0 Member UncommonPosts: 73

i had the same problem when i came back a month ago, took a total of 2 hours from the time i submitted the form until I got the response that the authenticator was removed.  I even was missing a little info, i just answered the questions as best i could.  really easy process.  I don't think it should be a deterrent for most people if they are willing to wait a few hours before starting again.  

this of course only affects people that had the 2 step auth. to begin with and no longer have their authenticator.  (i had to do a factory reset on my phone and i forgot to get the info from my authenticator beforehand)  

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Unlike 2-step authentication for Square Enix, Carbine/NCSoft has made the process of removing the security feature from your account virtually painless. I've done it for both and I am NOT a fan of SE's roundabout method.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

I had the winauth and I copied the code and when I got a new computer I just set it up with the code. All you need is the number.

Even with FFXIV ARR you copy down the number they give to remove the code and it is only a problem if when they say keep this number safely and use to remove the code instructions and if you ignore it , that you run into issues. Why would you ignore these instructions when it is clearly stated.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It isn't very hard to keep an authenticator, and even then every single time I've ever lost one I've had no issues getting it fixed. They have to have this sort of thing in place so that when you get hacked you don't make the same thread.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    If they were gone then haven't they already been lost?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Walkyier70Walkyier70 Member UncommonPosts: 67

same problem with authenticator

phone broke couldnt get into account

email support didnt solve anything

not a big deal , i will go back when its free to play under a new account

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by Torval

It won't stop me from playing a game. If I got locked out then I would email them. If they fixed it then I'll play. If not, then I won't. I think you're making a big deal out of a slight inconvenience you caused yourself.

exactly 

I might have not been clear enough, but I'm really not mad at WildStar. I understand it's my fault and I know why we have 2 step.

Being a part-time indy game dev myself, I was wondering what kind of population would react like me and my friends. We left, not because we were mad at WildStar, but because we didn't want to wait.

I kind of had a similar issue with a software we developped, and was so secure that people would give up using it because there were too many security mesure.

And for information, it now take up to 36 hours for an answer from support. 

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259

Just so you know you can still login to your wildstar account on there website ( you dont need the 2 step for that) and from there you can send a ticket to have it removed.

and seriously you need to get some patience.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Looks like Carbine thinks they'll lose fewer people to folks botching their part of the 2-part authentication, than they would have lost to people's account getting stolen because some evil genius mastermind guessed their super secret password, "123654".

If you get locked out of your account contact customer support. After answering a few questions to prove this is your account they'll unlock it for you.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Is 2 step mandatory?  I currently have a sub and am not using it if I recall correctly.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by Kardiamond

I might have not been clear enough, but I'm really not mad at WildStar. I understand it's my fault and I know why we have 2 step.

Being a part-time indy game dev myself, I was wondering what kind of population would react like me and my friends. We left, not because we were mad at WildStar, but because we didn't want to wait.

I kind of had a similar issue with a software we developped, and was so secure that people would give up using it because there were too many security mesure.

And for information, it now take up to 36 hours for an answer from support. 

That's understandable and probably common. But if this kept you guys from playing WS, you probably wouldn't have been that "committed" to sticking around in it anyway.

You could always get the issue resolved while your playing ESO and then when you get bored of that, jump back into WS for a bit. Probably that's what most mmo players will do these days.

Originally posted by Squarll

Just so you know you can still login to your wildstar account on there website ( you dont need the 2 step for that) and from there you can send a ticket to have it removed.

Well we had 2 choices, WildStar and TESO. WildStar stopped us right away, so we switched to TESO. Nothing about patience.

Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

Looks like Carbine thinks they'll lose fewer people to folks botching their part of the 2-part authentication, than they would have lost to people's account getting stolen because some evil genius mastermind guessed their super secret password, "123654".

If you get locked out of your account contact customer support. After answering a few questions to prove this is your account they'll unlock it for you.

I agree, seems like most people don't mind the authentificator. That's why I was asking.  

Originally posted by grimal
    Is 2 step mandatory?  I currently have a sub and am not using it if I recall correctly.

No it's not, but you receive an EXP buff if you get it. So it's not mandadory, but it is great to have the buff. :)

Good answer, only futur will tell.

And you are right, I wasn't sure about going back to WildStar. So I didn't need much to change my mind. ;)

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Hi all,

I just had an issue, and out of curiosity, I want to know if anyone reacted like me and my friends, and how much it can affect a game such as Wildstar.

It won't happen. We got blocked because we didn't have our authentificator anymore. 

We went to the forum, but the only way to remove it is by using the support. No phone call support, no week end support. 

Meh, no time to lose. We started another MMO. We won't be returning to WildStar. Especially with the announcement of free to play WildStar, the forum seem to be full of player having the same issue.

I was wondering, could it really affect the come back of WildStar? We are a group that start games together, and when we want to play, we don't want to wait 3-4 days. Like with WildStar, we got turned down and just started playing ESO again.

What do you think of the 2 step authentificator issue? Because it's an issue, the support is flooded. And they "forced" it on player, if you wanted the EXP buff. 

Seems like a typical "I can't wait/impatient" person.  Guess if you would have just done what some of the others did you might be playing Wildstar again.

Oh well, it is typical of this generation who want everything now and can not wait just a little bit.

Originally posted by cerulean2012

Hi all,

Seems like a typical "I can't wait/impatient" person.  Guess if you would have just done what some of the others did you might be playing Wildstar again.

Oh well, it is typical of this generation who want everything now and can not wait just a little bit.

Well you could be right if :

- I was making a choice between two game, so we chose the one available. Nothing again WildStar.

- I was 20 years younger.:) We are probably in the same generation.

tho your generation seems to judge people really fast. :)

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

No it's not, but you receive an EXP buff if you get it. So it's not mandadory, but it is great to have the buff. :)

I've always avoided those 2 step authenticators for the very reasons described in the OP;   Probably might be not worth it in the long run (if you can maintain secure passwords, etc).

• PixelPersonaPixelPersona Member UncommonPosts: 23

Well we had 2 choices, WildStar and TESO. WildStar stopped us right away, so we switched to TESO. Nothing about patience.

I agree, seems like most people don't mind the authentificator. That's why I was asking.  

But it is about patients as you have stated multiple times in this thread. You and your friends could not get in so you moved on to ESO. Heaven forbid you wait 1 or 2 days to play a game after resolving the issue.

Then you come here making a thread about it expecting people to back you up when in actuality you look like another spoiled MMO player who can not have his way right now.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Ticket turn around for me was 4 hours. 
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

What really gets me is all the people saying 'I stopped playing because of  (insert reason)' that are going back when it goes F2P.I mean come on...stick to your guns,can't you see this is what all games do now? They take box sales/sub then wait a bit and go F2P. The game will still suck as it did but some suckers will buy from the cash shop.Its a never ending circle of being suckered lol.

Also now we have games you pay a sub to alpha test haha and when was the last beta for a game where you didn't have to pay some cash to get into?You are all being suckered to play crap sub par games and don't even realise it !

What is next? Are you going to be asked to take the dev's kids to school and mow their lawn and wash their car at weekends to get into alpha and pay a sub with a cash shop! I bet some suckers would.

Edit: This reminds me of the MMORPG after 2004 

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by PixelPersona

But it is about patients as you have stated multiple times in this thread. You and your friends could not get in so you moved on to ESO. Heaven forbid you wait 1 or 2 days to play a game after resolving the issue.

Then you come here making a thread about it expecting people to back you up when in actuality you look like another spoiled MMO player who can not have his way right now.

Speaking of patience, it would of been amazing if you read the whole thread before hastily posting. The OP explains why he made the post, he was worried about something similar happening in a game he developed.

I find it mysterious that you would react so quickly. It's not like it's a flamebait thread.

His question was simple enough, "How many returning players will they lose because of the two step auth process." 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Not many would be my guess.

And the few that they do lose because they can't be bothered with the hassle of removing their authenticators likely weren't going to stay for long anyway, so no real loss there.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

@caremuchless

Thank you good sir, I wasn't sure if I was clear enough in my other post, but you seem to understand my point.

It was more of a debate to know if two-step authentificator like WildStar was too much security for nothing, especially since it gave a buff that hardcore player want.

With the answers received, I think the majority seems to be fine with it. So I think they have a good amount of security. Tho, the buff coming with it might be a bit annoying for those that don't want the 2 step authentificator.

I also learned to not take myself as an example, as people seems to focus on attacking you more then answering your question. I hope it's not the WS community that became so harsh!

By the way, the support removed my 2-step. It took about 36 hours i Think. 

Thanks!