Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm not going to search through 200 low quality MMO to find a single good game.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Just like other people, I just play FFXIV now. The market is saturated with a slew of low quality MMO. I don't have the time to try out a huge amount of MMO, frankly I don't even have the bandwidth cap to do that.

It's not our fault no one is curating low quality / indie / kickstarter garbage on the PC. There's no quality control and everyone with a PC has access to game engines now.

Every 14 year old wants to be a game developer, so this is likely not going to stop anytime soon, the market saturation will continue probably, until people had enough of it.

Reviews aren't honest anymore either, every game is apparently good now, there are no bad games anymore, because sites don't want to offend their sponsors.

Anyone feel the same way, not interested in other MMO because you don't want to find a needle in a haystack? Not going to bother trying to play other MMO until there is proper curation or until the market stops being flooded with indie / kickstarter garbage.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Add Cash shops to your list, because they suck....And I'm with you !
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Excellent news! imageimage

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Meh, solved the problem last year, decided to play EVE so not an issue for me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Way to take a stand OP!

/Logs into TERA

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by DMKano

Same few folks with same threads and complaints.... again.

Also I'd love to meet those 14 year old game devs.... that actually gave me a chuckle.

Every 14 years old WANTS to be a game developer, I didn't say they were.

Same folks with the same reading comprehension problems...again.

L2Read please

Originally posted by delete5230

that too

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

You don't need to install and test every new MMO that comes out. You watch screenshots, gameplay videos and read some reviews. That is often enough to tell if it is a game for you or not. You can get disappointed if you play a new game without any research beforehand. If you avoid that then I don't see the problem.

Originally posted by Kiyoris

Also I'd love to meet those 14 year old game devs.... that actually gave me a chuckle.

L2Read please

OK and what 14 year olds want to do has WHAT exactly to do with your claims of current state of MMOs?

I fail to see any relevance in mentioning what 14 great olds want.

Because I said

"it will not stop anytime soon" referring to the interest in game development which is causing the oversaturation of games on the market, since even younger kids are interested in game development, I project that game saturation will continue for the foreseeable future

Not sure you are actually interested in my thread or if you are trying to be obtuse on purpose? If you don't get my point, that's fine.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I've got a handful of MMOs that I enjoy, and that I switch back and forth between. So I'm not paying too much attention to the rest, nor really searching for anything new. Add in some good single player games, a couple of multiplayer ones to play with friends, and I have more games than I have time to really play.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by DMKano.

So instead of seeing more developers coming into the genre as a good influx of new ideas and innovation, you see it as a negative?

that is truly a bizzare way of looking at it

Without proper curation, I see it as a negative. I would much rather go back to the time of 16 bit consoles where there was stringent curation and quality control.

PC gaming up until recently had 3 ways to curate that are different from now, 3 barriers to entry

-development costs were huge, licensing a 3D engine had a massive cost attached to it, it only allowed experienced studios to make game. Development costs of A titles are still massive, but now you can make a 3D game on a tiny budget too.

-publishers curated heavily, now that you can publish your own games on steam, now that you have kickstarter, many game developers no longer go through publisher curation

-gaming magazines used to be more independent, they were much more stringent, games regularly got 3 out of 10 or less, now a bad game still gets like 7/10 often times, sites are 100% dependent on ads, while magazines were only partially dependent on ads

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Is there a solution?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Reviews aren't honest anymore either, every game is apparently good now, there are no bad games anymore, because sites don't want to offend their sponsors.

I found a review saying "this game is terrible" from a site's major sponsor:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/985/view/reviews/load/300

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

OP i think you hit it the nail right on the head.

I do not consider FFXIV a great game but it is of good enough quality that you can simply play it,know you have a solid developer that will deliver content and the game will look nice.200 would actually be a starting point,there is likely almost 200 survival games alone.

You are right about game engines a plenty and most offer contracts that are based on success,so the developer has nothing to lose.Then they auto generate a world and it automatically gives the impression the game is of triple A ,but to the knowledgeable eye,you can spot a dud in mere minutes.

IMO Square Enix has lost it's ability to be creative,yes they do like everyone else a lot of copying but they still have the best looking mmorpg out there.They will give you a robust game and support it for a long time,unlike most other devs that get your initial money then go into maintenance mode.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Dear OP, those "bad games" that someone, or should I say hundreds of someone's at a time are playing are valuable market research opprotunities.  

Essentially an AAA, or an independent developer(kickStarted or otherwise) can look at something you consider "bad", and think to themselves "if people are willing to play that...  I could make something way better and have a bigger audience attracted by quality".

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

L2Read please

OK and what 14 year olds want to do has WHAT exactly to do with your claims of current state of MMOs?

Because I said

"it will not stop anytime soon" referring to the interest in game development which is causing the oversaturation of games on the market, since even younger kids are interested in game development, I project that game saturation will continue for the foreseeable future

Not sure you are actually interested in my thread or if you are trying to be obtuse on purpose? If you don't get my point, that's fine.

So instead of seeing more developers coming into the genre as a good influx of new ideas and innovation, you see it as a negative?

So...your ok with 14 year old developers now?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

OP, I wish you were right on that "single good game" out of 200 low quality MMO's. I would be playing it right now if this was the case. I've done as much research as anyone can on what's on the market today when it comes to gaming. There is a good reason why it's been 4½ years since I've seen a new product worth to open my wallet.

So, voting with my wallet and participating with the community, raising awareness is one way to push this genre forward. I'm glad to see more and more out there starting to opening their eyes and see the level of quality we have versus what we could have.

Anyways, I'm still a gamer after all and since the gap of entertainment between some paying product and free product is small at the moment, I'll enjoy June free from gaming and finally in July Path of Exile will release act 4 with a new league to dive into. The way it's headed I won't spend a $ on a new game for 5 straight years. Who would've thought that one of the most hardcore gamers on the planet would achieve such feat?

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Without proper curation, I see it as a negative. I would much rather go back to the time of 16 bit consoles where there was stringent curation and quality control.

So...like every other genre that shits us a new Call of Duty and Madden every year? Good call.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• RollermintRollermint Member UncommonPosts: 47

They tried sounding like they know whats good for the industry but really, they have no idea themselves.

Fact of the matter they are just burnt out bitter vets reminiscing of the good ol days. Pretty sad actually.

Originally posted by skeaser

So...like every other genre that shits us a new Call of Duty and Madden every year? Good call.

what does call of duty have to do with 16 bit consoles

• healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

Is there a solution?

No its just a rant

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    The indie and "kickstarter garbage" tends to be about a thousand times more interesting than the AAA garbage we've endured for over a decade.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by delete5230

that too

Yeah, I hate when you can only buy things in the shop that you can't earn in game, like the metallic dyes, the cute non combatant pets, and the mount.  Oh wait we're not talking about FFXIV?

... whopsie

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Is there an echo in here?

Looking forward to more of the same next week :)

http://ygd.bafta.org/competition/competition-news/2014

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

L2Read please

Because I said

If a 14 year is a developer that's quite an achievement.

Better than someone striving for greatness by picking on little kids! 

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by StoneRoses
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

L2Read please

Because I said

If a 14 year is a developer that's quite an achievement.

Better than someone striving for greatness by picking on little kids! 

Do you understand what you are responding to?

If so...what the hell are you talking about?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."