Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOBA is now 24% of the MMO Category!

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

https://www.superdataresearch.com/market-data/mmo-market/

and i quote

"The success of MOBA titles indicates a subtle but important shift in the way people like to play online. Offering the same fast paced action as first-person shooter games, MOBAs have quickly become one of the most popular game genres worldwide, growing their share of the overall MMO category from 16% to 24% in just the last year."

Also of interests

"as World of Warcraft now also offers microtransactions and a partial free-to-play component. It is a sign that things are changing, especially for the major publishers, when a company like Activision retires Titan and, instead, doubles down on Heroes of the Storm."

Comments

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Dont like MOBAs, camera is always too close ground.
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Agreed, the camera kind of bugs me too. I also just can't get into the whole click to move control scheme of MOBAs. I wish I could since they are so popular right now.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

To be honest ... i don't play MOBAs myself .. although the camera is not the problem. I just don't like e-sports that much.

But I can't deny they are popular.

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    So 5v5 is Massively Multiplayer now? Good to know Quake is an MMO. /facepalm
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962

Except Mobas are not mmos

The "official" definition of an moba:

Multiplayer online battle arena(MOBA), also known as action real-time strategy (ARTS), originated as a subgenre of the real-time strategy (RTS) genre of video games, in which a player controls a single character in one of two teams.

The "official" definition of an mmorpg:

Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) blend the genres of role-playing video games and massively multiplayer online games, potentially in the form of web browser-based games, in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a world.

I could post 100s of articles where the compare only mmos vs mmos and others that compare Mobas to Mobas.  Just because you found one doesn't means it's accurate.  Nice try though. 

Originally posted by Siris23

you did not get the memo? "massively" is irrelevant to many .. reviewers, industry sites, MMO sites ... in MMO.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. Yep that is an MMO alright! Lets go ahead and start counting Dice with Friends , Words with Friends and other mobile games since they have millions of people too. Now everyone can be in the MMO category and feel special.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

What surprises me is the report implies MOBA as a sub-genre of MMO.

"their share of the overall MMO category"

This could get Interesting.

edit: Blah, beat me to it.  More typing, less smoking my pipe.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. Yep that is an MMO alright! Lets go ahead and start counting Dice with Friends , Words with Friends and other mobile games since they have millions of people too. Now everyone can be in the MMO category and feel special.

It is already there .. MOBAs are MMOs. World of Tank type instanced pvp games are MMOs. Co-op RPgs are MMOs.

MMO sites need to drive traffic to survive.

• BanyoHDBanyoHD Member UncommonPosts: 32

Don't really understand what is "Massive" in a MOBA since it's listed as a MMORPG. A 5 vs 5 arena is hardly massive by any means. The repetitive nature of the gameplay and lack of an endgame except getting better at slaughtering things in the same area over and over. PVP veterans have fled to this genre because of the more controlled and balanced PVP taking place in these arenas. MMOs should learn from this and place players on an equal footing when they enter a pvp territory. 

MOBAs are easier to get into. The skillcap is often very high and it doesn't require the same updating pace as a MMORPG. With that being said making a MOBA balanced and fun to play is a challenge to say the least. It used to be a very niche game when it first came out. Nowadays its what most people think of when you say that you're into gaming.

Personally I've never been able to get very into it since I don't appreciate the repetitive nature of the game. But each to their own. MOBAs can learn MMORPG developers today how to develop balanced and fun PVP. That if anything is a big plus to me. 

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

you did not get the memo? "massively" is irrelevant to many .. reviewers, industry sites, MMO sites ... in MMO.

Oh I would love to see this "memo" I'm sure everyone else would too. Please post a link to this "memo".
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Playing an MMO means you could potentially square off against dozens if not hundreds of people at any given moment, sorry 5v5 doesn't fit that definition. 
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

It occurs to me that it's just the morons at "superdataresearch" that don't seem to know the difference between massive and massively. No one else seams to be confused about it.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

It is already there .. MOBAs are MMOs. World of Tank type instanced pvp games are MMOs. Co-op RPgs are MMOs.

MMO sites need to drive traffic to survive.

I'm with Nariusseldon, here.  Call the games this site covers 'Floyds' or 'Quvveristical' or 'MMOs', its just a matter of semantics, really.  The definition of words change over time, and what we once knew as MMOs has changed.  Now it encompasses a variety of games, not just UO, EQ and AC.  The change in the scope of what this site chooses to cover certainly doesn't hurt anyone, or force them to play a game they don't want to play.  Drawing eyes to their page is how they live.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    wow, so Diablo I was an MMO. one learns something new every day ...
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by collekt
    Agreed, the camera kind of bugs me too. I also just can't get into the whole click to move control scheme of MOBAs. I wish I could since they are so popular right now.

Players will either complain the art sucks, or they'll complain the zoom is too close.  Typically art wins out, since few games are willing to look ugly for the sake of a bigger zoom. (Supreme Commander isn't necessarily a bad game, but it definitely looks awful since 95% of the time you're zoomed out so far that everything is some abstract unit icon, rather than seeing the units themselves.)

Also forcing the view close in increases the skill involved.  Camera manipulation often isn't the most enjoyable form of skill depth, but it does end up making these games a little deeper.

None of which changes the fact that you dislike it, of course, but at least you can understand why the decisions are made.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Originally posted by Mendel

Originally posted by SlyLoK Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. Yep that is an MMO alright! Lets go ahead and start counting Dice with Friends , Words with Friends and other mobile games since they have millions of people too. Now everyone can be in the MMO category and feel special.
    It is already there .. MOBAs are MMOs. World of Tank type instanced pvp games are MMOs. Co-op RPgs are MMOs. MMO sites need to drive traffic to survive.
    I'm with Nariusseldon, here.  Call the games this site covers 'Floyds' or 'Quvveristical' or 'MMOs', its just a matter of semantics, really.  The definition of words change over time, and what we once knew as MMOs has changed.  Now it encompasses a variety of games, not just UO, EQ and AC.  The change in the scope of what this site chooses to cover certainly doesn't hurt anyone, or force them to play a game they don't want to play.  Drawing eyes to their page is how they live.
    I have no beef with MMORPG.com covering non-MMORPGs.  They just need to call it what it actually is.

By the definition supported in this thread, MMORPG.com should be covering The Last of Us, Titanfall, Call of Duty, Battlefield, GTA, or any other game with multiplayer.  They don't, because the line drawn is arbitrary and based simply on marketers trying to build hype and poach players from MMORPGs into their genre.  I don't blame the marketers; there are no written rules saying you can't do what they do.  However, you'd think the administrators of sites that were built upon covering MMORPGs would at least have the integrity to say, "Hey, this is not an MMO, but we think you guys might enjoy playing it anyways..  We do!"

Alas, they usually just avoid the issue or respond with non-answers like a politician.

Also, narius:

• UltorXUltorX Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Are RTS games considered MMO too now? image
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Mendel

The definition of words can change, but not when those words are an acronym that spells out, verbatim, "massively multiplayer online."

When you talk about MOBAs it becomes even more literal: Multiplayer Online Battle Arena.  Notice how it includes MO but not MMO?  Well it's a 5v5 arena, so obviously that's done on purpose.

Can't we just think for a moment, and admit the raw absurdity of calling non-massive games MMOs?

When a shirt is blue, call it a blue shirt -- I don't care if you run YellowShirts.com, the shirt isn't yellow.  (And with "yellow" at least there's some amount of (potential) vagueness to the word.  It's not literally spelling out its meaning.)

When a game isn't massive, call it a MOBA or an RTS or a FPS or an RPG.

...you do realize that if every game is considered a MMO the term becomes useless right?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

The fact that you guys fall for each new thread of the same kind made by the same tr.... err sorry, guy amazes me.

Hint: if you stop answering him he will stop posting.

You have way more restraint than I do, JLP.

Also, I'm still waiting on an effective answer to my counter-argument, which no one has provided.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Drop the useless word 'massively' and yes :)

You could equally call it chunky multiplayer online or big multiplayer onlIne. To make it more relevant it should be massively-instance multiplayer online. It's all just generalisations, what matters is the end of the name / that's where the meaning is, bo, rpg, fps etc.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Internet Chess is a MMO too. Come on, get with the times...
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

The fact that you guys fall for each new thread of the same kind made by the same tr.... err sorry, guy amazes me.

Hint: if you stop answering him he will stop posting.

It's cute that with over 22,000 posts you think he is going to stop trolling if people stop answering him.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Dota is the best game created! I love it. I thought SC2 was awesome but DOTA2 is amazing too!

Anywaaaays since when are MOBAs MMORPGs. Also I hate the word MOBA. It was made up to refer to that abomination called "LOL" which was made for people who wanted dumbed down DOTA. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_online_battle_arena

Check wikipedia's definition. MOBAs are a subgenre of RTS games. I don't care what some "industry/MMO" sites say since they are god forgotten little websites. Wikipedia on the other hand! Well you can't argue with online encyclopedia which is almost as accurate as Britannica ;D

But if we are going to call every game known to man kind a MMORPG, then lets go and play Skyrim. That sure is hell is an MMORPG too!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.