Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When are games going to become more than just "games"?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

When will the day come when one player who does X thing in a game will permanently change the way everyone else plays the same game? When will the day come when players actions will truly matter? When will we see players to truly feel the risk and thrill of their own choices that will permanently define them for who they are? When will we see a game that feels as much as important as real life?

A great game means a more peaceful and safer world. It also means a less polluted world. It also means a great way for individuals to meet someone that truly enjoy spending their time with. It also means less spending $ on other, far more costly hobbies for entertainment. It can also be an educational game, things people can actually learn that would benefit from in real life.

The problem we are facing today is the fact that building games costs $ and they solely depend on the private sector willingness to invest in them. What happens though when the private sector doesn't have the funds to invest, interest or ability to deliver this game? This happens. The state of gaming today as it is.

I see billions upon billions of government funds thrown in things that humanity as a whole does not benefit, from many space to military programs. Only when this game becomes reality the world will see the imminent impact on evolution as a whole for mankind.

I've consistently played games for decades which allowed me to think and solve problems. They helped me from the very first thing which was to understand and write the English language...Today, thx to meeting and interacting with thousands of players over the last 14 years I also know things I would never knew before. Most importantly gaming has helped me to have great social skills.

So, when are games going to become more than just "games"? When will the world become more involved in building, investing in them? What will it take from each individual gamer to push toward this goal? Well, I can think of few things, but anyways...I said enough for now.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    It already exists, see EVE, was even created with some gov't funding.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kopogero

When will the day come when one player who does X thing in a game will permanently change the way everyone else plays the same game? When will the day come when players actions will truly matter? 

We need to get you trying some of the non-EQ/WOW MMOs. You can already do that in quite a few, and have been able to for over a decade. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    when players actually want all those things instead of playing just some fun games?
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    It already exists, see EVE, was even created with some gov't funding.

Thanks for the giggle...srsly

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    when players actually want all those things instead of playing just some fun games?

^This

And sorry...any example that would be posted would fall short of what the OP posted IMO.

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

And sorry...any example that would be posted would fall short of what the OP posted IMO.

"When will the day come when one player who does X thing in a game will permanently change the way everyone else plays the same game? When will the day come when players actions will truly matter? "

Some things that hit on at least those three:

• Lawmaking in A Tale in the Desert
    • Bagball and the bagball arena in Ultima Online
    • Trade hubs in EVE
    • Barter systems (motes/keys as base units) in Asheron's Call
    You could easily make a list of dozens of examples of emergent gameplay where the players did brought something to the game that either became canon or got coded into the game. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

"When will the day come when one player who does X thing in a game will permanently change the way everyone else plays the same game? When will the day come when players actions will truly matter? "

• Trade hubs in EVE
    You could easily make a list of dozens of examples of emergent gameplay where the players did brought something to the game that either became canon or got coded into the game. 

I thought the OP had grander ideas than this...maybe I read it wrong. These examples don't seem (and weren't when I played them) so "World Changing".

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Horizons when players rescued the satyrs and the fae (can't remember their name) and built the dungeon.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • RedAlert539RedAlert539 Member UncommonPosts: 115

"When will we see a game that feels as much as important as real life?"

NEVER.

That's why they called games and sould stay as that. Because they're just games, nice distractions that we use to escape from real life every now and then to have some fun. We don't need any more drama in our gaming experience. We allready have plenty of that on our everyday lifes.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

The tech is just not there for virtual worlds. Most virtual worlds I'm involved in I'm ALWAYS sat behind a computer, with a mouse and keyboard in my hand.

For games to become more than just games I need to feel like I'm not actually sat in front of a computer the whole time.

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by Kopogero

When will the day come when one player who does X thing in a game will permanently change the way everyone else plays the same game? When will the day come when players actions will truly matter? When will we see players to truly feel the risk and thrill of their own choices that will permanently define them for who they are? When will we see a game that feels as much as important as real life?

A great game means a more peaceful and safer world. It also means a less polluted world. It also means a great way for individuals to meet someone that truly enjoy spending their time with. It also means less spending $ on other, far more costly hobbies for entertainment. It can also be an educational game, things people can actually learn that would benefit from in real life.

The answer is: hopefully never. The moment we start valuing games more than going to work or interacting with our families, that's when society breaks. Getting a game to where it's more appealing that real life, and at the same time culturally supporting that, is dangerous.

But going back to the first questions, which are more reasonable, the answer is: it's not likely to happen in general. You have Second Life, where what people do does matter to others. The world is what it is because players made it that way. Any truly sandbox game would have that. On the other hand, in a fully sandbox game players actions don't provide "risk and thrill" in the way that a game that has built-in conflict can have. In any game that players are expected to be heroes and fight enemies, there must be a constant state of strife, which is largely unaffected by players. Sure, it could be made to tilt in various directions depending on player actions, but it still needs to remain forever unresolved. In such a scheme nobody's actions truly matter.

• berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162

Another problem, besides the given social ones like valuing games more than RL, is players want to achiev things and players can be jerks. Imagine a multiplayer game where the decisions would really matter and be final. Mobs would be extinct in no time, all woods would be cleared and the whole world would be a mess after a certain time, since all things were final. With every boss killed his/her peoples would be scattered (we are realistic, aren't we) and be hunted down by players. With every year new players would have less to do.

Then there's the catogy of players who will see what can be done, so they start digging wholes, reroute rivers, chopping down woods and see if whole populations of productive lifestock and material giving mobs can be killed. Given a certain playerbase the number of poeple interrested in possibilities will be big enough to have impact and change the game world's surface. Always remember: What can be done, will be done!

You would need to have systems in place that negate player choices, thus limit player freedom and the impact of choice, to keep the system intact and have something to do for new players. The most basic system usually in place is respawn. To have mobs to fight and skin they respawn, so the world wont be devoid of life. Respawn means to cancel a player's choice, since you killed that mob and it returns. This is just the most basic case.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

• Trade hubs in EVE

I thought the OP had grander ideas than this...maybe I read it wrong. These examples don't seem (and weren't when I played them) so "World Changing".

Well, then we go back to the question that someone asked before: 

"when players actually want all those things instead of playing just some fun games?"

• SalvadorbardSalvadorbard Member UncommonPosts: 100

Avalon (www.avalon-rpg.com) is founded on the basis that player actions matter. It's fully possible for the players to affect the game world in ways that redefine the gameplay of others and re-shape the world itself. Legion warfare plays a big part in this - these campaigns can last months or even years - and Springdale, our fourth city was completely destroyed after Thakria (another city, all led by players) used their army to invade and defeat the enemy army and wipe it from the map.  In its place, the losers pooled all of their resources and desperately begged for an armistice and peace treaty to be allowed to rebuild a new city in its ashes.

The result: Silverfalls was born with player-driven government and autonomy but also bound by the iron fist treaty of the Thakrian military, limiting its actions and directing its growth potential for years to come.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Never will they become more than just a game.Well perhaps in another 100 years we might have full on virtual reality and game world decisions affect real life but maybe even a 100 years is too soon.

We have seen glimpses of it though as of right now,like players buying plots with real life money or selling something for huge amounts in the thousands of dollars with rl money.All we see for VR though is the talk of head sets,that is not going to add a single thing to VR it is only going to add a new perspective on visuals.

We are easily 15 years into MMORPG game design and i have yet to see a single developer create a resemblance of an ECO system and nobody has introduced a realistic factor "aging" into these games either.A very old single player Wizardry game did have a slow aging added to the game but not really significant to notice it.

We can't even get half the developers to understand exactly what XP is SUPPOSE to represent,most think it is just a number that needs to be increased so they add all kinds of stupid ideas to make sure it can be increased.Example ..."Oh i just stepped on a new pixel of land" "I feel like a much more experienced Warrior now" .../sigh.Point is i see a ton of developers that show no thought what so ever towards building a Virtual game,instead they are just code and look like just code.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    1. "Games" more accurately describes what most gamers want.
    2. Early MMORPGs were much better worlds.  They did alright.
    3. Later MMORPGs were much better games.  They obliterated early MMORPGs in success and popularity.
    4. The market shifted to supply the clear demand for game-centric MMORPGs.  Games like GW2 and ESO continue to do pretty well for themselves.
    So the answer is that the genre is shifting away from worlds (not towards them.)

The root of that comes from how players enjoy games, and you should read A Theory of Fun (Koster, 2003) if you want to learn about that. Basically: Games have skills to teach us, and we enjoy learning (even if the skill has no relevance to our lives.)

Virtual worlds do provide some entertainment, largely for the same reason (much of the reason players play them is to explore a new thing and gain mastery over it.)  However existing offerings have been paled in comparison to game-centric games.  It's not that the world is a wholly negative thing -- it does add one more way for players to explore and master things -- it's that world simulation typically comes at a harsh cost in moment-to-moment gameplay (one example being how you might spend your time travel (shallower gameplay) instead of immediately being at your destination engaging in the challenge there (deeper gameplay).)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by RedAlert539

"When will we see a game that feels as much as important as real life?"

NEVER.

That's why they called games and sould stay as that. Because they're just games, nice distractions that we use to escape from real life every now and then to have some fun. We don't need any more drama in our gaming experience. We allready have plenty of that on our everyday lifes.

To me, games are just entertainment ... and i certainly won't waste time on one that pretends that it is as important as real life.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Try 7 Days to Die. ;)

Joined - July 2004

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Investor puts money in a GAME publisher to finance a GAME,  publisher contracts a developer to build a GAME, developer builds a GAME to publisher's priorities, publisher releases game to the public using GAME marketing, publisher operates the GAME.

And there's a reason to be surprised that the GAME is a GAME?

That doesn't make sense to me.

Isn't the real question, When will the MMO framework be used for more than gaming, for example: shopping, communications, education, etc?

Or am I missing the point (which I do frequently) ???

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Holodeck!
    Originally posted by Effin_Rabbit
    Holodeck!

Too much work .. you actually have to move, and run .. as opposed to just sit back & move your fingers (which may be phased out .. if those mind-computer interfaces are perfected).

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I don't want games to be like real life. What's the point in that? Games should be fun and not an alternative to real life.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I'm still waiting for real life to be important. So I won't be holding my breath for video games to do it.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Maybe not the type of game OP might have in mind but to be honost for me it's Star Wars Galaxies that gave me that feel it was more then just a game. Unfortunaly it got bombed by those people who wanted excactly that...a GAME, it had to be more Star Wars which for me translated into "we need the game to tell us what to do"

So I doubt apart from some indie games we will see a high budget AAA MMORPG, because I believe the majority "needs" more game instead of relying on themselfs or even other players ingame. Notrhing wrong with that because they all enjoy themself and that's what matter. Only little problem is those of us wanting more world then game are in the minority.

Voxel based MMORPG's go to far for me but SWG had the perfect balance for me in how to craft/create/develop. Thats mainly that when I create I am to much like real life a perfectionist, I learned my lesson with Planet Explorer hehe. Spend weeks on a creating a vehicle but each time I wasn't satisfied with it's outcome and kept spending more time without actually "playing" the game besides it's building/creation part.

Originally posted by Reklaw
    Only little problem is those of us wanting more world then game are in the minority.

Well, you can't expect the market will always produce what you like. I love locked room mysteries, and no one is writing more of that in the US (there are some in Japan though).

So what? I can always find other entertainment. The good news is that today's world is so full of entertainment that it is almost impossible not to find something fun to past the time.

In fact, my problem is more of time management (wasting too much time in entertainment) than not enough.