Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is nobody covering Ark: Survival Evovled?

GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
This game looks incredible.  Come June 2nd, I'll 100% be buying this game.  I wish sites would cover it, but you can barely find any information on it.  The most information I've found on it was by following the Devs on Twitter.  I'd love to know more, like the crafting trees and such.  Hopefully after the 2nd there will be tons of information coming out, and I'll be playing it. I hope it's like Rust or Life is Feudal with dinosaurs, that's like my dream game lol.

Comments

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    This game looks incredible.  Come June 2nd, I'll 100% be buying this game.  I wish sites would cover it, but you can barely find any information on it.  The most information I've found on it was by following the Devs on Twitter.  I'd love to know more, like the crafting trees and such.  Hopefully after the 2nd there will be tons of information coming out, and I'll be playing it. I hope it's like Rust or Life is Feudal with dinosaurs, that's like my dream game lol.

For starters...it's releasing June 2nd....and I just saw the game a week ago. Bad publicity? I saw the videos....Tribes all over again? Didn't I read that you play on paid servers like CoD or BF? So not an MMO?

I dunno....it looks good, but not the kind of game that gets too hyped if it's not a true MMO around here

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

For starters...it's releasing June 2nd....and I just saw the game a week ago. Bad publicity? I saw the videos....Tribes all over again? Didn't I read that you play on paid servers like CoD or BF? So not an MMO?

I dunno....it looks good, but not the kind of game that gets too hyped if it's not a true MMO around here

It's more MMO than some games on this site hehe.  You can have upto 100 players in a game at the same time.  Which isn't massive, but other than major city hubs you don't see more than 100 players around anyways hehe.  I think the servers work like Life is Feudal: Your Own, they're player run.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    I'll be picking up the early access. Been following it for a bit, looks great. Hope it plays great.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I liked how it looked until I saw Dino mounts. It just kind of turned me off on it. It's cool to imagine banding together with some friends with wooden spears and taking down a triceratops so you can all eat. It's less cool when a group of other players cruise by afterwards riding T-Rexes. If you're going to have dinosaurs, make them complete badasses. Don't do anything to trivialize them.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Because of this maybe?

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. 

I for one do not do EA games. I mean how much more upfront can they be?  Buy a game that they have zero need to do anything else to and you can do absolutely nothing about.

Once they have everyone's cash...no rules or law to make them do anything else. Just such a bad way to do business for the gamers. Really hate that places do this now. As long as places like Steam  get their cut...who cares right?

Might be a good game some day...but who can say? Might be unplayable too and nothing we can do about it.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by DarLorkar

Because of this maybe?

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. 

I for one do not do EA games. I mean how much more upfront can they be?  Buy a game that they have zero need to do anything else to and you can do absolutely nothing about.

Once they have everyone's cash...no rules or law to make them do anything else. Just such a bad way to do business for the gamers. Really hate that places do this now. As long as places like Steam  get their cut...who cares right?

Might be a good game some day...but who can say? Might be unplayable too and nothing we can do about it.

Problem with that line of thinking is, if no one buys into early access, it probably has no chance of being a good game some day.

I don't buy in early or kickstart many games, but its pretty ludicrous to suggest that its a bad thing.  While its not always the case, usually indie companies trying to make games actually want to make the most quality product possible, because they will make much more money finishing the game than they will from the few early backers in an alpha/beta.  Since its not always the case, its up to the company to do a good job explaining and demonstrating their ideas and capabilities, and for the player to objectively decide whether its worth their time/money to invest.

This broad brush dismissive attitude towards indie games and early access has to stop.  A handful of bad apples and failed kickstarters does not reflect the benefit these platforms have had on the gaming industry.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by DarLorkar

Because of this maybe?

I understand where your coming from on this, but these days what game comes out complete? i cant think of a single MMO that has come out in the last few years that wasnt in a beta state with tons of stuff broken and promises of adding content in later patchs that they promised would be in the release.

at least they are flat out saying its not complete and if you want to wait then go ahead and wait.

every other game i see comes out trys to piss down my back and tell me its raining.

Oh and the game looks pretty cool.

• kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Waitiing for invite

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Problem with that line of thinking is, if no one buys into early access, it probably has no chance of being a good game some day.

I don't buy in early or kickstart many games, but its pretty ludicrous to suggest that its a bad thing. 

No, absolutely not a problem with his way of thinking.

It's the company's job to provide a good product that people are willing to pay for.

It's completely moronic to think that people have to first hand over the money so that the dev MAY create a good product.

Harbinger of Fools
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    I liked how it looked until I saw Dino mounts. It just kind of turned me off on it. It's cool to imagine banding together with some friends with wooden spears and taking down a triceratops so you can all eat. It's less cool when a group of other players cruise by afterwards riding T-Rexes. If you're going to have dinosaurs, make them complete badasses. Don't do anything to trivialize them.

there are dino mounts in wow. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I don't buy in early or kickstart many games, but its pretty ludicrous to suggest that its a bad thing. 

It's the company's job to provide a good product that people are willing to pay for.

It's completely moronic to think that people have to first hand over the money so that the dev MAY create a good product.

Could not have said it better and if more people stop throwing money at unfinished games we might eventually see developers go back to releasing feature complete games that work.

It is ridiculous to think that buying a broken product with the promise of it being eventually working should be okay because it's a game or Software and they can fix it later. There is a reason why this does not wok with physical products and the same applies to Software.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Because of the 3 strike rule:

1. It is Early Access
    2. It is a Survival game
    3. It was tried before and failed.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

That's not true at all. There are plenty of things you buy sight-unseen, especially services. The fact that the consumer can have a direct impact on the market now is awesome. There's absolutely nothing moronic about it. I'll bet you've paid for at least 1 thing this year that you didn't know whether or not you were getting something quality or not. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• vcdragoonvcdragoon Member UncommonPosts: 7

I'll be playing tomorrow.

People don't need to keep living in the past and having selective memories on top of that sort of neolithic vision. The so-called "games that work" haven't been the norm in the last 15 years; most games needed patch on top of patch after the official release dates. To compare rather simple games of the past to modern games is like comparing flintlock muskets to modern tanks. Stuff has come a long way, and in that increased level of complexity and technology has required greater funding. Most games in the past did not require the sheer amount of capital modern games do.

People can and should talk with their wallets. And the wallets are currently saying that being involved in a project during EA is perfectly fine for a vast majority of gamers. With modern funding being the way it is, that's the only way we're going to get games that we want. 

Also, people actually do have to hand over money so companies may develop a good product, or any product at all. It's just that now instead of venture capitalists or an established studio like in the past, a portion of that funding comes from customers who are pre-purchasing products. Yeah, it involves a risk. Yeah, you don't have to if you don't want to.  But if someone doesn't, some of these independent studios won't make it. And if people want to support them in this way, there's nothing wrong with that. 

Another point...you haven't even played the product yet. How do you even know that it's broken or lacks promised features? Who knows, maybe it does. But as long as it's fun, who cares if the dinosaur I want hasn't made it into the game yet? And even if it's broken, so what? I'll treat it like a meal that wasn't quite right at a new restaurant that just opened. It's entertainment, not life or death. Some of us like getting into places when they just open, even if they haven't gotten the training quite right or the lighting might be a bit off.

And that's just ok with me.

• vcdragoonvcdragoon Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by MrSnuffles

1. It is Early Access
    2. It is a Survival game

I'm not sure why the 3rd point matters about a different product by a different studio.

At least the first 2 points are valid. :)

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by vcdragoon

People don't need to keep living in the past and having selective memories on top of that sort of neolithic vision. The so-called "games that work" haven't been the norm in the last 15 years; most games needed patch on top of patch after the official release dates. To compare rather simple games of the past to modern games is like comparing flintlock muskets to modern tanks. Stuff has come a long way, and in that increased level of complexity and technology has required greater funding. Most games in the past did not require the sheer amount of capital modern games do.

People can and should talk with their wallets. And the wallets are currently saying that being involved in a project during EA is perfectly fine for a vast majority of gamers. With modern funding being the way it is, that's the only way we're going to get games that we want. 

Also, people actually do have to hand over money so companies may develop a good product, or any product at all. It's just that now instead of venture capitalists or an established studio like in the past, a portion of that funding comes from customers who are pre-purchasing products. Yeah, it involves a risk. Yeah, you don't have to if you don't want to.  But if someone doesn't, some of these independent studios won't make it. And if people want to support them in this way, there's nothing wrong with that. 

Another point...you haven't even played the product yet. How do you even know that it's broken or lacks promised features? Who knows, maybe it does. But as long as it's fun, who cares if the dinosaur I want hasn't made it into the game yet? And even if it's broken, so what? I'll treat it like a meal that wasn't quite right at a new restaurant that just opened. It's entertainment, not life or death. Some of us like getting into places when they just open, even if they haven't gotten the training quite right or the lighting might be a bit off.

Exactly.  People just aren't paying attention.  Until small games start making money again, investors aren't going to be taking nearly the risks that we've seen in the past.  Theres been too many hundreds of millions wasted in the last decade on games that offered horrible ROI.

Get a clue people and pull your head from the sand.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Originally posted by MrSnuffles

1. It is Early Access
    2. It is a Survival game

The stomping land didn't fail based on the genre or destribution method, it failed because of people.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by vcdragoon

Most idiotic crap i ever read...throw money at something and pray?

If it turns out to be a waste so what?

Exactly what is wrong with gamers today. Have zero regard for making sure we hold dev's accountable for the crap they hand out.

EA you have NO recourse AT ALL. They do not have to deliver anything that works or is decent . Just pitch some graphics at you people and you line up to throw cash at them and freaking pray that it turns out ok. 

And we wonder why we keep getting such crap...I really do want to cry for how stupid people are getting today. Getting fed these bad games is now the frigging NORM...pay up front and pray for a decent game later...if they feel like fixing it...

All you people are doing is making a bad situation worse and worse...what ever happened to common sense?

We lived through the era of game after game releasing as broken messes...then they come out with the idea of not even having to have a full broken  game to release..just pitch and idea and you folks lap it up.

Biggest con in the dang world and yall not only take it and ask for more...you praise them for it...

Good game, bad game, indie, or not.  None of that matters...making it so people have absolutely no recourse when they get scammed or end up with a bad product, is such a terrible idea. If you really can not see that...

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

that's part of the problem with sites like these and publishers when something great comes out it's almost never covered but when something mediocre comes out that claims to be different but it's more of the same nonsense then they are all over it. 

I hope it's a success!

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

I have to totally agree with Dakeru here, EA/crowd funding and the like are a cheap way for indie developers to get funds, but it is definitely a disturbing precedent for consumers.

• DraconianXDraconianX Member UncommonPosts: 18

It's still in Alpha and right now it's just a cash grab to go with the movie release of Jurassic World. I'll wait a while so see if it actually makes a release.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Inb4 it's just orion dino beatdown 2.
  • Alpha_ChinoAlpha_Chino Member UncommonPosts: 36
    100K people watching the streams hardly seems covert.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    This will be the first early access game I will buy
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

1. Not an MMO.

2. Early access.

3. Character models/animations look like LOTRO.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!