Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old School Gaming reimagined

MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

Tonight I went to a "bar cade."  It's a arcade and bar mixed together.  So there are no little kids.  This is a place for adults to play arcade games that are mostly from the 90s.  Mortal Kombat II, NBA Jam, TMNT, X-Men, are just a few of the games they have.  Sometimes there is a short line at each arcade game.  It's only 25 cents a play so people will pop in quarters for a while.  Most of the people there are in their mid 20s or early 30s.  It's PACKED.  The beer is good craft beer too (Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, etc).  The place is thriving.

So old school gaming still has a place somewhere...  There is a market for it.  Old School MMORPG games have all been pushed to private servers, which are illegal.  Seeing everyone at the "bar cade" made me excited about people still enjoying video games that are not new.  Could there be a future for MMORPGs in the form they were in a decade ago?  

Comments

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Magiknight

Tonight I went to a "bar cade."  It's a arcade and bar mixed together.  So there are no little kids.  This is a place for adults to play arcade games that are mostly from the 90s.  Mortal Kombat II, NBA Jam, TMNT, X-Men, are just a few of the games they have.  Sometimes there is a short line at each arcade game.  It's only 25 cents a play so people will pop in quarters for a while.  Most of the people there are in their mid 20s or early 30s.  It's PACKED.  The beer is good craft beer too (Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, etc).  The place is thriving.

So old school gaming still has a place somewhere...  There is a market for it.  Old School MMORPG games have all been pushed to private servers, which are illegal.  Seeing everyone at the "bar cade" made me excited about people still enjoying video games that are not new.  Could there be a future for MMORPGs in the form they were in a decade ago?  

I get where yer goin here....and love it! But....most here wont agree about the Old School Gaming thing.

But I do...Beer, bar, gaming. Needed to be done...wish i was there

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

I get where yer goin here....and love it! But....most here wont agree about the Old School Gaming thing.

Anyone else?  Maybe someone with a more positive attitude and imagination?!?!?!

LOL...Whu?

I was positive. WTF are you looking for....should I bow to you?

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Where is this???  I've been looking for some arcade old school MK competition for the last 10 years to no avail.  Found a few arcade cabinets of MK1 and MK2 in town but no one goes to play, but they are in pretty random areas.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Arcade games fit the modern gamer's playstyle. The retro shtick simply works in that manner. Also, the 'bar cade' only does well as a novelty bar in a locale trafficked by outsiders/tourists. The novelty grows old quick for the regulars. Gameworks by the Seattle convention center, Boxcar off the main Raleigh strip... these are packed, these are niche, and they are few and far between. 

How you made the leap from 'bar cades do well' to 'this means there's a place for EQ flagellates, too' was left out of your post, but I think that's because you were more focused on an old games comparison than a logical one. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Arcade games fit the modern gamer's playstyle. The retro shtick simply works in that manner. Also, the 'bar cade' only does well as a novelty bar in a locale trafficked by outsiders/tourists. The novelty grows old quick for the regulars. Gameworks by the Seattle convention center, Boxcar off the main Raleigh strip... these are packed, these are niche, and they are few and far between. 

How you made the leap from 'bar cades do well' to 'this means there's a place for EQ flagellates, too' was left out of your post, but I think that's because you were more focused on an old games comparison than a logical one. 

The bar cade I went to is nothing like Gameworks.  How you made the comparison of a place with modern arcades to Mortal Kombat II is beyond me.  But Boxcar does seem like the place I went to.

A MMO that's few and far between would be just fine too.......  The point is that games that seem to be long gone aren't really long gone.  Hence this bar cade and the underground private servers for MMOs.  I was focused on the old games comparison and would like to stick with it!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

He was being positive. I'm not sure how you read otherwise. 

And what imagination is required to see how there are quite a few people who dont' like "old school" mmo'. This forum is littered with these discussions. It's already been established that there is a market for old school mmo's, just not one that can support multi million dollar investments.

The only thing I take from your post is that there is an awesome bar where I would go and I wish Boston had something like that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

The bar cade I went to is nothing like Gameworks.  How you made the comparison of a place with modern arcades to Mortal Kombat II is beyond me.  But Boxcar does seem like the place I went to.

A MMO that's few and far between would be just fine too.......  The point is that games that seem to be long gone aren't really long gone.  Hence this bar cade and the underground private servers for MMOs.  I was focused on the old games comparison and would like to stick with it!

Just because some people choose to go to a bar that features some old school arcade games, you think this means there is a huge pent up demand for old school MMO's?

Hmm let me think?? When was the last time I threw in a quarter and played an MMO??

OH I remember now.....never!!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Just have to LOL at these type posts. 

What do you think all these FTP games are? If NOT "old school" games reimagined? 

Old school this and that...old school is table top gaming...maybe text muds...all you and others are doing is taking that title (Old School) and using it to mean MY favorite games.  Same as everyone and their dog is taking MMORPG and applying it to about everything online anymore

Only thing reimagined here is people fooling themselves about the past. Why?

Because of all those emulators and old servers that are floating around out there. But you and the others are not there...you are here making up false memories, or at least forgetting all but the best memories of those old games, instead of going there and playing them.

Once you do...you do not stay long you start looking for something better. Get hit up side the head with how they REALLY were..and it just does not match your fantasies that are remembered. People...the older games were not all that great...or they would still have more people playing them now....including the people that post this "old school" bull all over this and other forums. The people that really liked those games are...that's right...still playing them.

Originally posted by Sovrath

The only thing I take from your post is that there is an awesome bar where I would go and I wish Boston had something like that.

I've got kinda good news and good news for you. 

IIRC, the Beacon Hill has arcade games, but not a lot. That's the kinda good news. The good news is that Bar Cade is either planning to or already in the process of setting up a Boston location. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I guess this went a bit over your head, so let me clarify. The arcade/bar type establishment is a novelty for transients and tourists. It doesn't work in areas where you rely on regulars because the novelty wears off quickly. This is why they are rather rare. Do you not see how that doesn't translate well for your 'old school MMO' idea?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I've got kinda good news and good news for you. 

IIRC, the Beacon Hill has arcade games, but not a lot. That's the kinda good news. The good news is that Bar Cade is either planning to or already in the process of setting up a Boston location. 

huh! Well, thank you very much I'll have to look into this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Just because some people choose to go to a bar that features some old school arcade games, you think this means there is a huge pent up demand for old school MMO's?

Hmm let me think?? When was the last time I threw in a quarter and played an MMO??

OH I remember now.....never!!

Not to mention old school games like Mortal Combat never went out of style.. the method of playing just changed... It changed from arcade to consoles... And a new Mortal Combat just came out... There really is no basis for comparison.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I don't see a huge correlation between the Game Pub/ Arcade Bar but I love those places. Check this one out in Georgia...wish there was one like this in my area QQ

http://www.battleandbrew.com/

I guess this went a bit over your head, so let me clarify. The arcade/bar type establishment is a novelty for transients and tourists. It doesn't work in areas where you rely on regulars because the novelty wears off quickly. This is why they are rather rare. Do you not see how that doesn't translate well for your 'old school MMO' idea?

The bar cade I went to isn't for transients or tourists.  

The bar cade I went to isn't for transients or tourists.  

Of course it is. The regulars would only account for %30 of the people there IMO. Just like any other cyber cafe before it. 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams