Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not so f2p

silhakusilhaku Member Posts: 2

Everyone knows by now that Wildstar is going free to play and I think that its a awesome decision. Its a really good game but has a small player base and this will open the doors wide open to those willing to try it out. I've have plenty of guildmates from other games try the free trial with me and said that they would love to play it if it goes free. Now that its about to happen I figured wildstar would be the next big move for us, until I saw the free limits. Sub players get more exp, gold, auction house slots, etc. All reasonable stuff.

Until I see you can't join a guild or do warplots on free accounts and then im like wtf. Why!? It makes no sense. Having a sub is suppose to give rewards like extra perks while and while not playing but taking away guilds and warplots from free players is a punishment. I mean guilds is a major social aspect from a game meant to be focused on interacting with other players. Now no one wants to play anymore because we were all excited to play a new action mmo with our guild tags held high and you put this pay wall in front of us.

I know what a lot of you are thinking. I'm just whining because im too cheap to pay sub. Not it at all. I've paid the sub and am willing to pay again. Only reason I stopped playing was because the player base was so little. If I had a better group of people to play with, "my cross game guildies for example" I would still be playing it today.

But back to the subject at hand, this pay to join guilds and to do warplots thing will deter a lot of people. People that are needed to bring this game back from the grave. Its not like the sub would be worthless if these "perks" were given to everyone. I mean these are major pieces of content in the game. It shouldn't only be giving to those who pay a sub.

That's all I wanted to rant about, please give your thoughts on the subject plz.

Comments

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Hey, why do I have to pay anything? Do I not get to game for free anymore? Why do they need money, I mean the game is made already? 

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• valoizvaloiz Member UncommonPosts: 52
     U will be able to "join" a guild, just cant create / invite new players to.
  • silhakusilhaku Member Posts: 2
    Still seems like a unreasonable limitation. I can't see what they would gain from implementing it. And I hope you are right about the join thing because a mmo with a guild is a mmo not worth playing
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by valoiz
     U will be able to "join" a guild, just cant create / invite new players to.

citation needed.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-05-28-wildstar-is-going-free-to-play-heres-all-you-need-to-know/

it's somewhere down in the table IIRC.

• gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    If you bought the game when it came out. Is there any perks? Or are we treated the same as the guy who downloads it for free?
    Originally posted by silhaku
    Still seems like a unreasonable limitation. I can't see what they would gain from implementing it.

Only thing I could guess is, money. I never heard of a game(f2p) that limits you from joining a guild. If there are ones, shame on them.

"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

I suggest you re-read the information Carbine posted, it's quite clear, you can participate in all of the content the game has to offer.

Free players cannot issue guild invites, or invite to warparties.

Free players can join guilds.

Free players can join warplots.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by strawhat0981
    Still seems like a unreasonable limitation. I can't see what they would gain from implementing it.

Only thing I could guess is, money. I never heard of a game(f2p) that limits you from joining a guild. If there are ones, shame on them.

Someone already posted said its, making a guild and inviting people to a guild. Which is fine tbh, f2p players tend to be less committed to the game than people paying the sub. 

Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

I suggest you re-read the information Carbine posted, it's quite clear, you can participate in all of the content the game has to offer.

Free players cannot issue guild invites, or invite to warparties.

Free players can join guilds.

Free players can join warplots.

So, what you are saying is, the op is full of it. I totally agree with you! image!!!!!

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Not being able to create a guild doesn't really count as harsh limitation in my book

The one reason for me to still buy the box is that free players only get 2 char slots instead of 12.

Harbinger of Fools
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Seriously, this is one of the most generous free to play models I have seen.  I dont know how entitled the OP is or if he has a reading problem or if the OP was just too lazy to read.  As a free player you can join a guild, you can use the auction house, you can have a house and you are not restricted from any gameplay content. 

This is one of the most needless and unfounded threads I have ever seen.  Good thing the OP created a new account so we dont know who his main is.   LOL 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I didn't see anything to horrible in the restrictions. Besides, most of the time strict rules are put in place at first to see how far the company can go without total mutiny. Things will get fleshed out, and I'm sure it will lean more towards the players favor than Carbines.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Everyone knows by now that Wildstar is going free to play and I think that its a awesome decision. Its a really good game but has a small player base and this will open the doors wide open to those willing to try it out. I've have plenty of guildmates from other games try the free trial with me and said that they would love to play it if it goes free. Now that its about to happen I figured wildstar would be the next big move for us, until I saw the free limits. Sub players get more exp, gold, auction house slots, etc. All reasonable stuff.

Until I see you can't join a guild or do warplots on free accounts and then im like wtf. Why!? It makes no sense. Having a sub is suppose to give rewards like extra perks while and while not playing but taking away guilds and warplots from free players is a punishment. I mean guilds is a major social aspect from a game meant to be focused on interacting with other players. Now no one wants to play anymore because we were all excited to play a new action mmo with our guild tags held high and you put this pay wall in front of us.

I know what a lot of you are thinking. I'm just whining because im too cheap to pay sub. Not it at all. I've paid the sub and am willing to pay again. Only reason I stopped playing was because the player base was so little. If I had a better group of people to play with, "my cross game guildies for example" I would still be playing it today.

But back to the subject at hand, this pay to join guilds and to do warplots thing will deter a lot of people. People that are needed to bring this game back from the grave. Its not like the sub would be worthless if these "perks" were given to everyone. I mean these are major pieces of content in the game. It shouldn't only be giving to those who pay a sub.

That's all I wanted to rant about, please give your thoughts on the subject plz.

10 year in and people still are surprised that "Free" to play games aren't actually free.  Boggles my freaking mind...

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir

10 year in and people still are surprised that "Free" to play games aren't actually free.  Boggles my freaking mind...

I vote,troll.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Not being able to create a guild doesn't really count as harsh limitation in my book

The one reason for me to still buy the box is that free players only get 2 char slots instead of 12.

While it's not harsh compared to some games it does come with some interesting social dynamics.  Usually when F2P starts a lot of free players make guilds together because they're all at the same point in content starting new. 

However this change puts most of the guild power in the hands of paying players as new free players cannot create or invite anyone to a guild.  It also limits the surge of new guilds at F2P conversion and puts much more power in the hands of recruiters.  Again, not harsh but my have odd social consequences, will be interesting to see how it goes.

Although when I open TERA's guild list I see like 5 of the 7 most populous guilds on server all have the Brazilian flag for their guild emblem, this will certainly cut down on that.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

10 years people do forget the meaning of free to play, get to play for free not free on everything.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

still a better free model then say lord of the rings... or a few other games i can think of

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Each company defines F2P.  It's not a universal meaning when it comes to gaming. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

Reading comprehension FTW.

You can join a guild.

You can join a warparty.

You can't invite to a guild.

You can't invite to a warparty.

(EDIT: You should really change your OP, since you know ... It's absolutely not true.)

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It's pretty common for F2P players to not be able to create guilds, and have limitations on the auction house. I can't see much wrong with the Wildstar F2P model I'm actually quite excited.
    I think it is a solid f2p concept, no problems on my end. I bought wildstar before day one, and plan on trying this f2p rendition.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    No guild on a free account is a little strange. Is it maybe if you make a single purchase you can join a guild or something? That would make more sense. I would not worry about Warplots though, they are barely a feature of the game. Even at launch people had to literally schedule times to que up against other guilds because you will never get a que otherwise. Hardly any popped up naturally. It is pretty hard to have ques for Battlegrounds, Rated Battlegrounds, Rated Arenas, Practice Arenas, and Warplots all competing for que times when a game has an incredibly tiny PvP community. Not to mention that a Warplot needs 80 players total...(this was the case at launch as well)
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

That's a generalization.  F2P players don't expect everything free.  They see a distinction between free access to the servers, and free gameplay features.  The former is expected, but the latter is what most people voice their opinions about, especially with comparisons to other F2P titles.

If the restrictions are too extreme, then people won't even bother playing it.  Look at how much ridicule Swtor got for restricting hotbars.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
  • Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by observer

That's a generalization.  F2P players don't expect everything free.  They see a distinction between free access to the servers, and free gameplay features.  The former is expected, but the latter is what most people voice their opinions about, especially with comparisons to other F2P titles.

If the restrictions are too extreme, then people won't even bother playing it.  Look at how much ridicule Swtor got for restricting hotbars.

I personally have never understood the logic of Hybrid Free To Play models. If players were willing to pay a sub fee to play the game, it would not have gone F2P to begin with.

I would also not be shocked if the "Bonus" XP and whatnot given to subs is actually the Pre-F2P XP rate, while free players are getting a lower rate than that.