Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recorded panels from PaizoCon 2015

rsdanceyrsdancey Member Posts: 106

We attended PaizoCon last weekend and during the show we presented a number of Pathfinder Online panels to the attendees. We recorded 4 of them for distribution:

The Goblinworks 2015 Annual Update

The Economics of Pathfinder Online

The Pathfinder Online Art Review

PvE and Escalations in Pathfinder Online

There's a tremendous amount of content in those panels and I'd be happy to try to answer any questions anyone may have although I may have to punt and ask that you shift some specific questions to the forums at goblinworks.com where my team can try to answer in more detail.

And if you'd like to try Pathfinder Online free for 15 days, email [email protected] and I'll be happy to issue you a trial invite.

RyanD

Comments

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Things I learned from Ryan's panel. Not many teenagers play MMOS. PVP is a turn off for women.(From Ryan's panel)  59% of pathfinder players report household income of 50k +. You guys attribute that to your mostly 30+ yrs of age playerbase, which I am sure is true. I wonder if your playerbase is what it is because of the high price of entry to this game or if it indeed just happens to bring in a more mature playerbase. Almost all of pathfinders players were backers of the kickstarter, not much new blood has entered the fray. The great majority of pathfinder players were not players of the table top game. This doesnt seem to speak well of your ability to draw in fans of the IP. When the players were asked if they believe kickstarter promises were kept, the weighted average was in the threes. Many backers did not believe they got what was promised. I have only had time to skim Ryan's panel but it was very interesting and open. At the end you mention that you believe the game could stand toe to toe with much larger budget games such as Neverwinter. I wonder if this kind of thinking is why you continue on with charging a box fee and AAA sized monthly fee? I really do wish you luck as I did enjoy many aspects of my 15 day Pathfinder trial, sadly it ran out just before the latest update dropped. I hope you will reconsider you current monetization scheme as the game just doesnt work with such a low playerbase.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

Keep fighting the good fight, Dancey.

-Chuckles
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by damond5031
    Things I learned from Ryan's panel. Not many teenagers play MMOS. PVP is a turn off for women.(From Ryan's panel)  59% of pathfinder players report household income of 50k +. You guys attribute that to your mostly 30+ yrs of age playerbase, which I am sure is true. I wonder if your playerbase is what it is because of the high price of entry to this game or if it indeed just happens to bring in a more mature playerbase. Almost all of pathfinders players were backers of the kickstarter, not much new blood has entered the fray. The great majority of pathfinder players were not players of the table top game. This doesnt seem to speak well of your ability to draw in fans of the IP. When the players were asked if they believe kickstarter promises were kept, the weighted average was in the threes. Many backers did not believe they got what was promised. I have only had time to skim Ryan's panel but it was very interesting and open. At the end you mention that you believe the game could stand toe to toe with much larger budget games such as Neverwinter. I wonder if this kind of thinking is why you continue on with charging a box fee and AAA sized monthly fee? I really do wish you luck as I did enjoy many aspects of my 15 day Pathfinder trial, sadly it ran out just before the latest update dropped. I hope you will reconsider you current monetization scheme as the game just doesnt work with such a low playerbase.

Next time use mla format, maybe we could read this wall of text then.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

Seriously, it wasn't that difficult to read, and well short enough not to be considered a "wall of text".

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• rsdanceyrsdancey Member Posts: 106

Actually, one of the key takewawys is that a lot of tabletop players engage with the MMO. Only 23% reported that they never play the tabletop RPG.

43% play it monthly or more frequently.

Also, 85% rated "Delivered on Kickstarter Rewards" as Satisfactory or higher.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by Bluddwolf

Seriously, it wasn't that difficult to read, and well short enough not to be considered a "wall of text".

I would believe you, If anyone would respond to this.

"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• rsdanceyrsdancey Member Posts: 106

Also, that quote is wildly out of context.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

As this was billed as "Goblinworks 2015 Annual Update" I foolishly thought it would be an actual company update.  Like an annual report that most company's publish.  Revenue, Profit...  things serious business people actual care about.   I flipped through but all I found were slides showing silliness.  As far as I can tell there wasn't even a Q&A or it happened after the camera was turned off.

This was really a "Pathfidner 2015 Annual Update" I guess... but even for that was pretty light on actual details.  On the plus side, at least those sections I watched... I did not hear EVE mentioned!!!  So maybe some progress is being made after all!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by Bluddwolf Originally posted by strawhat0981 Originally posted by damond5031 Things I learned from Ryan's panel. Not many teenagers play MMOS. PVP is a turn off for women.(From Ryan's panel)  59% of pathfinder players report household income of 50k +. You guys attribute that to your mostly 30+ yrs of age playerbase, which I am sure is true. I wonder if your playerbase is what it is because of the high price of entry to this game or if it indeed just happens to bring in a more mature playerbase. Almost all of pathfinders players were backers of the kickstarter, not much new blood has entered the fray. The great majority of pathfinder players were not players of the table top game. This doesnt seem to speak well of your ability to draw in fans of the IP. When the players were asked if they believe kickstarter promises were kept, the weighted average was in the threes. Many backers did not believe they got what was promised. I have only had time to skim Ryan's panel but it was very interesting and open. At the end you mention that you believe the game could stand toe to toe with much larger budget games such as Neverwinter. I wonder if this kind of thinking is why you continue on with charging a box fee and AAA sized monthly fee? I really do wish you luck as I did enjoy many aspects of my 15 day Pathfinder trial, sadly it ran out just before the latest update dropped. I hope you will reconsider you current monetization scheme as the game just doesnt work with such a low playerbase.

The post was fine. Not even close to a wall of text

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

As this was billed as "Goblinworks 2015 Annual Update" I foolishly thought it would be an actual company update.  Like an annual report that most company's publish.  Revenue, Profit...  things serious business people actual care about.   I flipped through but all I found were slides showing silliness.  As far as I can tell there wasn't even a Q&A or it happened after the camera was turned off.

This was really a "Pathfidner 2015 Annual Update" I guess... but even for that was pretty light on actual details.  On the plus side, at least those sections I watched... I did not hear EVE mentioned!!!  So maybe some progress is being made after all!

Eve was mentioned, but only once I think :)

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by headen

Originally posted by damond5031 Things I learned from Ryan's panel. Not many teenagers play MMOS. PVP is a turn off for women.(From Ryan's panel)  59% of pathfinder players report household income of 50k +. You guys attribute that to your mostly 30+ yrs of age playerbase, which I am sure is true. I wonder if your playerbase is what it is because of the high price of entry to this game or if it indeed just happens to bring in a more mature playerbase. Almost all of pathfinders players were backers of the kickstarter, not much new blood has entered the fray. The great majority of pathfinder players were not players of the table top game. This doesnt seem to speak well of your ability to draw in fans of the IP. When the players were asked if they believe kickstarter promises were kept, the weighted average was in the threes. Many backers did not believe they got what was promised. I have only had time to skim Ryan's panel but it was very interesting and open. At the end you mention that you believe the game could stand toe to toe with much larger budget games such as Neverwinter. I wonder if this kind of thinking is why you continue on with charging a box fee and AAA sized monthly fee? I really do wish you luck as I did enjoy many aspects of my 15 day Pathfinder trial, sadly it ran out just before the latest update dropped. I hope you will reconsider you current monetization scheme as the game just doesnt work with such a low playerbase.

I disagree. I managed through but found the format annoying. 

-Chuckles
    Originally posted by Charlie.Cheswick

Originally posted by damond5031 Things I learned from Ryan's panel. Not many teenagers play MMOS. PVP is a turn off for women.(From Ryan's panel)  59% of pathfinder players report household income of 50k +. You guys attribute that to your mostly 30+ yrs of age playerbase, which I am sure is true. I wonder if your playerbase is what it is because of the high price of entry to this game or if it indeed just happens to bring in a more mature playerbase. Almost all of pathfinders players were backers of the kickstarter, not much new blood has entered the fray. The great majority of pathfinder players were not players of the table top game. This doesnt seem to speak well of your ability to draw in fans of the IP. When the players were asked if they believe kickstarter promises were kept, the weighted average was in the threes. Many backers did not believe they got what was promised. I have only had time to skim Ryan's panel but it was very interesting and open. At the end you mention that you believe the game could stand toe to toe with much larger budget games such as Neverwinter. I wonder if this kind of thinking is why you continue on with charging a box fee and AAA sized monthly fee? I really do wish you luck as I did enjoy many aspects of my 15 day Pathfinder trial, sadly it ran out just before the latest update dropped. I hope you will reconsider you current monetization scheme as the game just doesnt work with such a low playerbase.

If you are ever again faced with one of my rambling walls of text, save yourself the pain and just scroll on to the next comment.  Life is too short to be getting all flustered over some strangers journalistic shortcomings :)

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

If you are ever again faced with one of my rambling walls of text, save yourself the pain and just scroll on to the next comment.  Life is too short to be getting all flustered over some strangers journalistic shortcomings :)

Was gonna say....STFU and get back to the topic...JEEBUS!!

But I didn't...

This is, however, the first thread that makes me want to try PO. 

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Was gonna say....STFU and get back to the topic...JEEBUS!!

But I didn't...

This is, however, the first thread that makes me want to try PO. 

So, make it where other people can read it, case and point.