Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on first person shooter UI in RPGs?

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I've been out of the loop for a couple years.  We've talked on this years ago, but for a project I'd like to revisit it.

What are your thoughts on first person shooter UI including real aimed projectile combat in RPGs?

In the past, there was significant objection over "not having a neck" and tactical disadvantage in combat.

The proponents tended to be from players of PVP  RPGs where the first person perspective was familiar, from deathmatch PVP FPS games.

I haven't seen Darkfall since they did the expansion / replacement game.  I see that Mortal Online is still running.

Has there been anything new in terms of multiplayer fantasy RPG that went with first person UI?  If so, did it gain any support or popularity?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

To be clear, are you talking about first person user interfaces (as opposed to natural, graphical, command line) or about first person view for gameplay? I ask because the UI in both RPGs and FPS are pretty darn identical. 

EDIT: This is FPUI, more commonly known as augmented reality: 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre