Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High-end gaming rig

Hey guys,

I'm going to buy a new gaming rig soon and I wondered what's considered high-end nowadays? Must I get one of the new 64-bit Processors, more than 1 gig of ram, most difficult: what graphic card 256MB onboard Video out and in?, what DVD Burner (decent speed, decent price), must I have DVD and a CD-Rom? Motherboard: Soundcard onboard or seperate?

I'd be grateful for a "template" of a high-end gaming rig. Price should be around 3000$ (australian), I think that's about 2300US$, thanks!

Minas

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Heres the Australian Dell Computers Site at the bottom of the post.. The Dimension 8300 is a pretty sweet machine.

As for DVD vs CD Rom, nah you dont really need both but a DVD drive dont cost all that much so you might as well have it as sooner or later DVD will probably take over from CD Rom. Not for awhile though.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx?c=au&id=desktops_au&l=en&s=dhs

• madnessmageemadnessmagee Member Posts: 69

High end now is,

Athlon 64 FX-51 3200+, dont get a onboard video card get a separate one perfer a Geforce fx 5950 Ultra 256mb or ati radeon 9800 xt 256mb, for ram go towards 1 gig pc3200 or higher, dvd drives are so cheap now its definitely worth getting. Onboard sound cards are ok, there on par with soundblaster live, but if you like to listen to music more you might want to try a audigy 1 or 2. You might want to get 2x 36 gig raptor 10,000 rpm and config it with raid 0. Now thats fast, hope this helps.

If you build it yourself it might go around $1500 if you buy it, its usually $2000+

Andromeda Server

• OmolOmol Member Posts: 332

Well if you go 64 bit you will not be able to run it at its full capacity until microsoft releases their 64bit windows.

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

u want the highest end?

u have a lotta money?

lol

gonna cost yea atleast a good 3k

• silverbladesilverblade Member Posts: 52
    Got my new, fast and ass kicking machine now..... just have to wait another 6-12 months for the release of EQII..... by then the bloody machine will be obsolete!!!

what r the specs?

*thinks*

o yea

2k should do it

my fault...sorry

Murt,

I got a P4 3.2GHZ machine with 1 gig memory, 120 Hard drive with the Radeon graphics card (i think from memory it was the 8500).  You were closer to the money when you said 3K than 2K but...... however that is aussie dollars, not sure if systems are cheaper over there or not.  The base system i got is the one Flem mentioned in a post, and then i optioned it out with the graphics card, dvd burner and bigger hard drive and more RAM.  THe thing flies!!!

well u got an 8500

if you get a 9800 pro...then its more like 3.5k

yea thats about itimage

Murt,  I did not get the standard 8500, i used it as a base and then added better specs and comps that drove the price up to approx $3,200.00.  I hated spending that much but was determined not to buy a machine that is obsolete the next time a great game came out.  This machine will have to do me for at least 3 years.