Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger Cancelled; $100,000+ in Kickstarter Funds Unaccounted For

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Kyleran

This story is over, done with, time to bury it and move on to bigger and better things while this goes on the ash heap.

what are you talking about?

If it is still fun to talk about it, it is far from over. See how many posts are below yours.

Over? Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

When did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor?

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

This story is over, done with, time to bury it and move on to bigger and better things while this goes on the ash heap.

If it is still fun to talk about it, it is far from over. See how many posts are below yours.

LOL

That is great

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

Sigh you young'ens......

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by vesuvias

Sigh you young'ens......

This! This is exactly why there is a such a huge misunderstanding between mmorpg players on playstyle and wants with hugely different demographics like this. Night and Day really. Both parties will never really understand each other whatsoever never having the same experiences to draw from. Total side tangent lol sorry just kind of an epiphany moment just felt like posting for shits and giggles.

Originally posted by Mavolence

Sigh you young'ens......

This! This is exactly why there is a such a huge misunderstanding between mmorpg players on playstyle and wants with hugely different demographics like this. Night and Day really. Both parties will never really understand each other whatsoever never having the same experiences to draw from. Total side tangent lol sorry just kind of an epiphany moment just felt like posting for shits and giggles.

you are absolutely right ... i haven't seen this before (and no .. i did not see that movie) ... and i do not know why some will want to do chores in a virtual world instead of playing many games.

But hey ... i know people are different, and I will let the free market decide what entertainment I can choose from.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    The guys making a game called "GREED Monger" took your money and ran? *surprise, surprise*

lol

kickstarter is a joke

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Kiyoris
    The guys making a game called "GREED Monger" took your money and ran? *surprise, surprise*

lol

kickstarter is a joke

Kickstarter is not a joke

People who fund amateur projects such as this are

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

Sigh you young'ens......

you are absolutely right ... i haven't seen this before (and no .. i did not see that movie) ... and i do not know why some will want to do chores in a virtual world instead of playing many games.

But hey ... i know people are different, and I will let the free market decide what entertainment I can choose from.

Totally, and they say thats what makes life interesting right!? The variety of people out there

Originally posted by Rhazmuz
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

lol

kickstarter is a joke

Kickstarter is not a joke

People who fund amateur projects such as this are

KS is not a joke ... KS is generating lots of jokes (and train wrecks) so we can have some fun on forums.

Totally, and they say thats what makes life interesting right!? The variety of people out there

Yeh ... that is pretty much the reason why i am on this forum. It would be very boring if I am just preaching to the choir.

• MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Holy shit, betwen James delusional bullshit and the "Germans" bombing Pearl Harbor this thread is gold!
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by Myobi
    Holy shit, betwen James delusional bullshit and the "Germans" bombing Pearl Harbor this thread is gold!

:)

Like I said in this thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/432396/page/1 some games are just tailor made for forum fun.  Between the Mr. LumpyMan shenanigans and people making posts trying to explain why some god-awful game "MATTERS"... there are many chuckles to be had.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Originally posted by Myobi

:)

Like I said in this thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/432396/page/1 some games are just tailor made for forum fun.  Between the Mr. LumpyMan shenanigans and people making posts trying to explain why some god-awful game "MATTERS"... there are many chuckles to be had.

Agreed, unfortunately.

This debacle has certainly provided many with hours of entertainment!

Certainly more entertainment than James proctor could ever code a game to provide.

• AzrileeAzrilee Member CommonPosts: 22

There is nothing wrong with Kickstarter,  people just need to be a little more intelligent before investing in a big game or MMORPG.  It really is freakin common sense

1.  Who are your developers, and who is the lead?  If a company cannot show you that their developers have ever produced a game before, just walk away.  Proctor has tinkered with other people´s games and has a lot of half-done projects that don´t work.... but tell me, if you saw that broken space invaders game he showed as ´proof´ of his programming talents, would you invest in him to make a MMORPG as the lead developer

2. Educate yourself about Unity -  Unity makes it absurdly easy to fake a game if you are not aware of it´s capabilities.  Proctor released a video a few months ago of his ´other´ MMORPG  Rise of Heroes..  It is a guy running across a terrain with trees and an ocean.  The video is like 25 minutes long.   EVERYTHING shown in that video could be done by a person who knows Unity in probably 15 minutes.  Anyone who downloaded Unity today, could probably reproduce that video in a few hours of learning and watching some tutorials.   The dangerous thing with Unity is that there is a ton of free art assets and models, and Unity makes it very easy to show the visual aspects of a gameworld VERY quickly.   You tell me what climate you want, and within an hour I can mail you a ´game´ with a terrain you can run around in... you take a video..and you have what Proctor is selling as a ´MMORPG´.

3.  Believe nothing they tell you about other investors.  One thing that is common with these scam games is they all sound like they have investors lined up.   Joel Lumpy, just a month ago was posting all over the place telling people he could self fund GM if he needed to.  Now we find out he can´t even afford to buy plastic bags, and that mailing out  a few dozen shirts is a financial burden to him and he needs to spread it out over a few months.  

4.  Funding is ONLY needed to finish a game, not start it.   Most of the major game engines now are free or very cheap.  There is a ton of free artwork available, and definitely stuff usable for prototyping.   There is no reason someone should not have nearly all of the systems in place before asking for funding.  And going back to Unity.. having a terrain you can run around on is like 0.01% of the game.  Look for combat, look for inventory, look for a UI that functions, look for creatures that have AI working.  If someone shows you ´their game´ and it is nothing but someone running around and empty world... they are scamming you.. end of story.

Originally posted by EponyxDamor

This debacle has certainly provided many with hours of entertainment!

Certainly more entertainment than James proctor could ever code a game to provide.

I would that is probably true for 99% of the games on KS. In fact, that is probably the best value of KS ... creating train wrecks for forum amusements.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Azrilee

There is nothing wrong with Kickstarter,  people just need to be a little more intelligent before investing in a big game or MMORPG.  It really is freakin common sense

1.  Who are your developers, and who is the lead?  If a company cannot show you that their developers have ever produced a game before, just walk away.  Proctor has tinkered with other people´s games and has a lot of half-done projects that don´t work.... but tell me, if you saw that broken space invaders game he showed as ´proof´ of his programming talents, would you invest in him to make a MMORPG as the lead developer

2. Educate yourself about Unity -  Unity makes it absurdly easy to fake a game if you are not aware of it´s capabilities.  Proctor released a video a few months ago of his ´other´ MMORPG  Rise of Heroes..  It is a guy running across a terrain with trees and an ocean.  The video is like 25 minutes long.   EVERYTHING shown in that video could be done by a person who knows Unity in probably 15 minutes.  Anyone who downloaded Unity today, could probably reproduce that video in a few hours of learning and watching some tutorials.   The dangerous thing with Unity is that there is a ton of free art assets and models, and Unity makes it very easy to show the visual aspects of a gameworld VERY quickly.   You tell me what climate you want, and within an hour I can mail you a ´game´ with a terrain you can run around in... you take a video..and you have what Proctor is selling as a ´MMORPG´.

3.  Believe nothing they tell you about other investors.  One thing that is common with these scam games is they all sound like they have investors lined up.   Joel Lumpy, just a month ago was posting all over the place telling people he could self fund GM if he needed to.  Now we find out he can´t even afford to buy plastic bags, and that mailing out  a few dozen shirts is a financial burden to him and he needs to spread it out over a few months.  

4.  Funding is ONLY needed to finish a game, not start it.   Most of the major game engines now are free or very cheap.  There is a ton of free artwork available, and definitely stuff usable for prototyping.   There is no reason someone should not have nearly all of the systems in place before asking for funding.  And going back to Unity.. having a terrain you can run around on is like 0.01% of the game.  Look for combat, look for inventory, look for a UI that functions, look for creatures that have AI working.  If someone shows you ´their game´ and it is nothing but someone running around and empty world... they are scamming you.. end of story.

This is mostly true. Unity literally has the majority of these systems already in place and creating a terrain is extremely simple to do. (They even have demo terrains that can just as easily be used)  Interestingly enough JamesP mentioned another game he was creating in Unity and listed a number of things he's already done to the game -- and most of those you can buy mostly precoded or the functions are already available in game.  Unity is one of the best engines for development but you're right, its really easy to "scam" people as well.   

I hate to jump on the bandwagon.. I like rooting for an underdog, but this project was a joke once we had ol' Appleface come on the forums and start trouble many months back.  Just the information that form members provided on that guy was enough for me to never want anything to do with this game to start... and  I may never get the full story of what happened behind the scenes.. maybe it was all a scam from the start.  I do hope backers get something back either way.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Claies
    It's amazing how people confuse giving someone money and hoping they do something with said money and buying stock in a for profit corporation.  Kickstarter is nothing more than a group of smart people sitting on the side of the road with signs saying "I'm broke and lazy, but if enough of you people give me money, I might take this idea I have and make a real product."  You have no way of knowing if that guy you gave money to is going to buy a computer, software assets, or a bottle of wine.   And can do even less about it if he does fall asleep outside the steps of the liquor store.

I mentioned this several years ago on this site. Your statement is so true.

The only difference is that these beggars do it with a webpage instead of a tin cup.

• AlanGreyjoyAlanGreyjoy Member Posts: 14

Well, Utherous has offered 100 free game passes to those that were burned by this con.

I as well, am stepping in and offering 100 free game passes to anyone that was burned and would like one.

Jason bought a house with the funds. Facebook is a powerful thing.

http://utherous.com/

http://www.thelegendofkilgore.com (website in COMPLETE hiatus. Updating this weekend, been to busy making the game lol)

The Legend of Kilgore - http://www.thelegendofkilgore.com

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by AlanGreyjoy

Well, Utherous has offered 100 free game passes to those that were burned by this con.

I as well, am stepping in and offering 100 free game passes to anyone that was burned and would like one.

Jason bought a house with the funds. Facebook is a powerful thing.

http://utherous.com/

http://www.thelegendofkilgore.com (website in COMPLETE hiatus. Updating this weekend, been to busy making the game lol)

That is a nice offer.

One suggestion though. The name of your game, really similar to Uterus ... kinda creepy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

I'm really just quoting this for emphasis. People without knowledge of how programming, developing, and donating on Kickstarter works need to know information like this. It's imperative that you know these things before donating money to nothing more than hopes and dreams.

Hopefully now, three years later, people know a little more about how Unity works and how easy it is to throw together a basic video.

Even in the original video Greed Monger showed during their Kickstarter campaign, none of the things you listed in point 4 were present. No combat, no inventory, no UI, and no AI creatures (all scripted in the video). It was nothing more than a glorified tech demo.

Originally posted by ShortyBible

The only difference is that these beggars do it with a webpage instead of a tin cup.

There are always suckers out there, and KS brings them all to one place. How could scam artists resist?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

When did lying during business deals become right and expected behaviour?

Otherwise your post was really good, but I have to disagree about there being nothing wrong with Kickstarter. I think we should aim for systems where information is reliable.

Why should we settle for unreliable information?

• RykaSRykaS Member UncommonPosts: 7

Meh, I've made enough KS backs worth my money now that I paid my idiot tax on GM, so I'm grateful in that regard. The J&J scam duo have made it near impossible with a person without a ton of experience (but smart enough to actually pull something off) to KS a game of any kind now. 

I love how JP thinks it's ok to admit stealing everything from GM for his own pet project by saying said project will be really awesome when it's done. It's like raiding people's safety deposit boxes in your bank and going "but my investment portfolio is going to be great now!" At least the forum full of sycophants he's cultivated will realize the truth. It was really disgusting to watch backers, who'd donated thousands of dollars, demand answers only for JP's fangirls (who donated $10 each) come racing to tear them down for daring to ask a question.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect the average gamer to know an engine inside and out so they know if they're being scammed or not. There has to be a better way to enable small-scale, innovative MMO design. Otherwise most gamers will just say screw it and wait for next cookie cutter AAA (which will also scam them out of their money with tons of promises that won't make it into the game due to "budget concerns"). 

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by ShortyBible

There are always suckers out there, and KS brings them all to one place. How could scam artists resist?

Simple... by letting them know that there are consequences to failures.

Greed monger was not just a show of incompetence. Greed monger was pure fraud. From a sugar daddy that was willing to step in and provide more funds, servers that were waiting to be used in a datacenter, T-shirts that were collecting cobwebs in a garage. In the end this has proven to be all lies.

It's my personal believe that if Kickstarter wants to be this investment platform, the pain of failure needs to be divided by all three parties. The developers for failing, the backers for stepping into something they probably shouldn't have, but also kickstarter, who could have looked into the developer before giving him a platform. As it stands now all pain is with the backers. Even Kickstarter earned about $5,000 from this scam. No wonder any idiot is welcome to start a project :)

If the pain gets divided by all three parties then I think Kickstarter can be viable.

• MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63

Since "business deals" started turning out to be scams.

As for the Kickstarter “unreliable information”, it’s not Kickstarters, whatever information is posted about a project, was posted by one of its “developers”, Kickstarter can’t just go doing background checks of every person involved in every project in the website, you can do that yourself and draw your own conclusions, it’s your money after all. 

This discussion has been closed.