Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My trial experience of PFO

RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,891

Day 1

So I learned a few things yesterday about PFO while starting my 2 week trial. I originally wanted to play a Druid, but they aren't currently implemented. In fact, it's still limited to the four basic classes of Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Wizard. Well, I wasn't going to let that get in the way of trying out the game, so I rolled up a Wizard. The way PFO works in regards to XP is pretty much exactly like Eve Online. You gain XP at a certain rate over time whether you are playing the game or not. For me, I am only able to do this with one character at a time. People who joined the Kickstarter were given the option to allow for two characters to benefit from XP gain.

Anyhow, I made my Wizard and started on the outskirts of Thornkeep, which is pretty much the only starting city in the game. I had peasant clothes and a basic club equipped. There were no golden exclamation points to guide me to quests and after finding my first quest, it revealed a basic tutorial on how to move around the world, equip active and passive feats and craft. I was asked to kill 3 goblins but no direction was given, so I wandered around and found some in the local area. Once I completed my first kill quest I returned for my reward.

I pretty much wandered around killing mobs and gathering resources for the next 5 hours. When I noticed the encumbrance system, which I haven't seen since the classic days of EQ. I was pleasantly surprised and happy to see this back in an MMO. Especially one focused on resource and territory control. After a while, I felt like I wasted a bit of XP during my training and eventually decided to start over again. So I rolled up a new character, switching from an Electric Wizard to a Sonic Wizard. I bypassed the initial quest which had me train in one handed blunt which I wasn't interested in. Granted there is no XP cap in PFO, I guess I just have an OCD about XP invested in stuff I know I'm not going to use. Yes, it's a stupid pet peeve but it bothered me none the less.

After a few more hours of running around with my new Wizard, I joined a company. Apparently someone recognized my first Wizard's name Rhoklaw and heard me talking about wanting to make a Druid to protect the woodlands from corruption. So I joined the Echo Wardens which is an offshoot of the original company Echo Woodsmen. I guess they liked the fact I wanted to be a Druid protecting the Wild, not to mention, one of them recognized me from this website.

As far as I can tell, I'm seeing a bit of Eve Online politics and XP gain, with Dark Age of Camelot style combat. I'm still getting used to the combat Feat system, but it's not too hard to figure out. Just a matter of focusing on what they call Keywords and trying to match them up to increase the overall potential of your character. You can still be a jack of all trades and dabble in anything and everything, but I decided I would focus on Wizardly stuff.

I like the fact recipes for crafting drop off mobs and that crafting is the only way to acquire any gear above Tier 1. It's also nice that the economy is purely player driven. While you do acquire coin from killing mobs, the remaining loot and resources you gather can not be sold to NPCs. Everything must be sold on the market or thrown away, except there is no reason to throw anything away since the bank appears to have unlimited space at this time.

Oh, last but not least. I managed to get myself killed in a very humorous manner. In the starting camps, there are a few NPCs, some high level guards and a practice target dummy. Well, without even thinking of what I was doing, I decided to try out my new Sonic spells on the target dummy without looking at what they do. Turns out, I cast an AOE which aggro'd the guards who promptly killed me. I rezzed immediately 2 feet away, still aggro'd by the guards. I probably died about 5 times before they decided I had enough. No worries though as dying only causes you to drop everything in your backpack, which kind of reminds me of the old school days of EQ.

I don't believe there are any dungeons per se, but the game does offer something new, which is mob escalations which basically equates to an evolving and growing menace which if not kept in check can spread throughout the entire world. Such as the current elemental epidemic going on right now.

That pretty much raps up day one and since this ended up being a wall of text, I'll try to summarize the remaining 14 days as best as possible.

Day 2

Well, it only took a day for me to taste the cold end to a few arrows in my back. As I was transporting the remaining stuff from the starter city to my company's settlement, I ran across a wee dwarf and he didn't care for me to be on his lands. Since I was slightly burdened, I wasn't going to escape. Only 2 days into the game and already losing a full pack of goodies, lol. I at least attempted to go get my stuff only to find out there was no way I could kill the dwarf. So we'll just chalk this up as a learning experience.

Problem was, I still had 1 load of goodies in his settlement's bank that I needed to move out and it's hard to sneak out stuff in a place that has active people sitting at the bank. I eventually came back later in the evening to see if my chances of success would improve but it hadn't. So I decided what the heck, I'll just grab it and run and as luck would have it, I managed to escape the clutches of those not paying attention and ran off back to my settlement.

So, finally got all my loot moved and can now focus on learning how progression works. Still a bit confused on the feat skill system as there are colors and symbols and all kinds of stuff on top of keywords used to create a more powerful build. Definitely a bit of a learning curve for new players, but at the same time, learning is 50% of what makes games exciting.

Did a little more running around, killing mobs and gathering materials while chatting with my new company on Team Speak. Need to get involved in one of the minor escalations soon to get a taste of whats to come. However, I work 13 hour days Friday through Sunday, so probably won't get much play time in over the weekend. We'll see.

Comments

• BringsliteBringslite Member UncommonPosts: 75

Nice first day, Rhoklaw,

It is interesting to get a new player's view of things. I believe that the starting area thing is fairly new (changed from previous).

I am glad that you could point out a cpl things that need to be altered about it,.

Looking forward to the chronicles of your future play! :)

No more "BOX" fee. Free 15 day trials at: goblinworks.com/download/
    Ozem's Vigil: The largest force for Holy Justice in the River Kingdoms.
    Are You Ready to Smite Evil?
    ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com

• wmmarcellinowmmarcellino Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Thanks for sharing Rhoklaw :)  Welcome aboard, and I look forward to hearing more of your impressions!

Do the RIGHT THING: come be a Paladin with us! http://ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com/

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the 14 days... :)

What is your most and least liked things with the game so far?

• AbhorerAbhorer Member UncommonPosts: 33
    As an EVE player it sounds interesting for me. But Ussually I'm so busy with EVE that don't believe I can play another game. Looking forward to read the rest of your review!
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,891
    Originally posted by Loke666

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the 14 days... :)

What is your most and least liked things with the game so far?

Most liked thing so far has to be the skill and XP system. While it's a lot like Eve Online, I believe it's fleshed out a bit more to allow new players to catch up quickly in a few skills to be a viable member in the ongoing fight over territory and resources. Being able to level up a character whether or not I'm playing is nice and some people were talking in general chat today saying it would take close to 72 years to max out every current skill set. I didn't do the math, but if that is correct, that is crazy, lol.

As for the least liked aspect of the game... hmmm. I guess it would be that the game itself isn't fully implemented yet. I understand when a indie company is doing their best to provide a fun and feature rich game, but can only afford to give bits and pieces at a time. I think I know now why there is frustration on the devs part to try and get more people to help pitch in by subscribing. Unfortunately, they are now catching a lot of flack for the hard pressed marketing attempt through reddit and here.

I'm not a huge fan of pretty graphics, so the fact the graphics aren't that great don't really bother me. The quests are pretty basic kill quests, which also don't bother me. The game was designed more for ongoing war over territory and resources. However, even that part of the game isn't completely implemented either.

Overall, what is in the game is really well designed. It is just a matter of the devs getting the funds they need to finish the rest.

• wmmarcellinowmmarcellino Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Most liked thing so far has to be the skill and XP system. While it's a lot like Eve Online, I believe it's fleshed out a bit more to allow new players to catch up quickly in a few skills to be a viable member in the ongoing fight over territory and resources. Being able to level up a character whether or not I'm playing is nice and some people were talking in general chat today saying it would take close to 72 years to max out every current skill set. I didn't do the math, but if that is correct, that is crazy, lol.

Yea, the way it is meant to work is to make the power curve less of a barrier to entry for new players.  So a new player, if they put all their exp and training into one area (say Wizard), they can achieve enough levels quickly enough to be relevant, group with us in PvE, etc.  Meanwhile, my Wizard is also a good gatherer, and put in some cleric abilities and can switch over and a do a little healing.  So my older character is more powerful and able to do more stuff, but the new character can get in the mix.

Do the RIGHT THING: come be a Paladin with us! http://ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com/

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,311

I like they are doing a few good things,i like no hand holding and  i like a weight system but the XP like Eve idea is one area i will NEVER accept.I do like crafting recipes drop from mobs,i also like needing to craft better gear so yes they are doing a lot the way i like a game to be done except one really bad idea.

Your Wizard for example becomes a more experienced Wizard weather you are playing or not.It makes zero sense,kind of odd how they get it for not having yellow exclamation marks over npc heads but then think you deserve to be more experienced for doing nothing.

That is how much i hate that stupid Eve idea for xp,that one system alone will keep me away from any game and forever,even if the rest of the game was all 10/10's.Too bad really ,i liked everything else talked about,enough that i would actually play this game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I like they are doing a few good things,i like no hand holding and  i like a weight system but the XP like Eve idea is one area i will NEVER accept.I do like crafting recipes drop from mobs,i also like needing to craft better gear so yes they are doing a lot the way i like a game to be done except one really bad idea.

Your Wizard for example becomes a more experienced Wizard weather you are playing or not.It makes zero sense,kind of odd how they get it for not having yellow exclamation marks over npc heads but then think you deserve to be more experienced for doing nothing.

That is how much i hate that stupid Eve idea for xp,that one system alone will keep me away from any game and forever,even if the rest of the game was all 10/10's.Too bad really ,i liked everything else talked about,enough that i would actually play this game.

I pretty much have to agree with this although not to the extent.  I'm not a huge fan of gaining xp from being offline.  That always seem to cheapen games to me.  I have only played a couple where you got a certain amount of xp while offline and not entirely the eve system but it just sounds bad.  If I work hard, I wanna lvl fast, if I screw around, I wanna gain xp slow.  I don't wanna just gain xp for no reason.  That makes me think, "Why play? No point to log in since I am getting xp anyway" and that is never a good thing.

Now on the other hand, so far the experiences you have talked about do sound awesome.  Love the idea of no quests markers on NPC's, a weight system and a skill based progression system rather than a lvl system.  This is a trial experience, so does that mean they have a 14 trail going on right now for anyone interested?  Might try the game, even with the xp system as it is,  just to give it a fair shot during my off hours in EQ.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Thank you for your review it really helped me and this is a game I will pass, I like certain type of games, I like to know where to go when doing quests.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

OP, thank you for giving us your experiences of the game, look forward to hearing more also, must admit i hadn't really considered this game before, but, i like the sound of the skill system, never was a fan of the whole levelling thing, to me it is too much of a lazy game mechanic compared to one based on skills, likewise the 'Eve' like skill acquisition, although i can imagine that the hardcore grinders won't appreciate that type of advancement image

Im not really into getting the game before release, but i am practically certain i'll end up buying it when it does image

• AudoucetAudoucet Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by Phry

OP, thank you for giving us your experiences of the game, look forward to hearing more also, must admit i hadn't really considered this game before, but, i like the sound of the skill system, never was a fan of the whole levelling thing, to me it is too much of a lazy game mechanic compared to one based on skills, likewise the 'Eve' like skill acquisition, although i can imagine that the hardcore grinders won't appreciate that type of advancement image

Im not really into getting the game before release, but i am practically certain i'll end up buying it when it does image

The game is released.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,891
    Added Day 2 to the original post, but think I'll just create new reply posts from here on out so I'm not creating a wall of text of a ridiculous size.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,650

Skill System? You are leveling your skills as appose to leveling your character leveling requirements are still there. Character development/progression is still there,.. slightly different, but the concept is still the same.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,459
    That's sounds like a lot of fun OP, thanks for the write up.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

Skill System? You are leveling your skills as appose to leveling your character leveling requirements are still there. Character development/progression is still there,.. slightly different, but the concept is still the same.

Skill systems work pretty well, as long as they have a sensible cap, in Eve, the level cap for any skill is 5,  level 3 gives a great deal of competency however, and while level 5 in basic skills can normally be achieved in a couple of weeks, some of the higher end skills, like capitol ships etc, can take a couple of months to get from level 4 to level 5, not that many actually do that image

It also means that even new players can gain significant skill levels in a relatively short period of time, a new player could gain the skills to PVP with a frigate for instance in just a couple of weeks,  with even cruisers taking only slightly longer. 

Hopefully PFO will be kind of like that, i would be very disappointed to see things like, skill levels of 100 etc. While some skills should take longer to learn than others, i would hate to see things devolve to such crazy things, or have it that in future times etc, those skill caps could be raised, that would really not be good at all. 

• BringsliteBringslite Member UncommonPosts: 75

Within a Tier ( there are 3, basically lvl1-6 is T1, 7-13 is T2, and 14-20 is T3) the actual value of a single higher rank (lvl) is pretty minor (something like +5 more damage). There is a nice bump crossing from T1 to T2. That is minor also in the big picture but nice and easy to feel more powerful against NPC mobs.

Like EVE (not a player and hate having to use this as an example), a new player can focus narrowly and be a great addition to his company, settlement, or as a lone wolf pretty quickly.  A difference from the EVE system is that you don't have to keep a training queue full or lose experience points. They just pile up until you can get back to the character and spend them.

A lot of the PVE and PVP works off of one player setting a condition on an opponent and his friends or himself exploiting that condition while it lasts. This will give bonus to damage and other things. That is one area that a new player can contribute to combat on his very first day.

No more "BOX" fee. Free 15 day trials at: goblinworks.com/download/
    Ozem's Vigil: The largest force for Holy Justice in the River Kingdoms.
    Are You Ready to Smite Evil?
    ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com