Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Lineage 2 Classic Server Coming!

Comments

• RariusRarius Member CommonPosts: 10

Lineage 2 is the best mmorpg experience you will have. It was my first mmorpg I played back in 2005 and even though I tried many new and modern games in the following years like WOW, Aion, Warhammer online, Tera, SWOTR, ESO, Wildstar, I never had the same social experience and fun as I had back in the L2 days. The people that knew and played  L2  in the 'early' years understand me. Of course the game is more hardcore than any other games out there but this doesnt mean that these days are over. There are many people that feel nostalgic about Lineage 2!

Recently (2 months ago) I started playing again in offcial server Naia and to be honest I just wanted to visit some places like executions grounds, cruma tower, antharas lair, giants cave, wasnt in my intention to start playing L2 again. But to my surprise i found so many people still playing, old and new players and had once again so much fun that what started as a simple visit to lineage 2 world, turned out to be so much fun that I stayed and grinded to higher levels (92 so far with dual 87 and ISS character 91) and still grinding ;) . This game is not the same of course as it was some years ago, a lot have changed but still great game.

Now in terms of the L2 classic server, I would very much like to try it with a decent subscription cost (6 euros for example for each account). Another thing that makes me sceptical is the 1/6 rates from old official days of the server that I hear. I think 1/6 is too much and something like 1/2 would be more appropriate. Old official was hardcore so 1/2 of that one would be fine, but 1/6 i dont think so. Dont forget that the russian classic servers started with a big population and  for some months they retained that but now are almost empty. In this competitive mmorpg market that every few months we have a new big mmo coming out, people playing at 1/6 l2 rates will not last in l2. Out of the 15k signatures they gathered for the classic server launch I would say 1-2k really understand what 1/6 really means. Rest 13-14k dont and they will start quiting after few months. And when you start losing population, and friends that you used to play together, clanmates etc you also get turned off and you get dissappointed and quiting is not far ahead.

So to sum some things up I would like a L2 classic server with 5-6 euros sub cost, cause I would definately use 2 accounts so 10-12 euros per month is enough. Secondly abandon the 1/6 rates and make something more realistic like 1/2, and thirdly the botting policy should be tough. If they dont ban the botters from day one, cause 8 out of 10 people that are in favour of 1/6 rates when they were playing l2 in the past they were botting and didnt really feel the grind consuming your life :P..., the server will fail. Few simple things for a successful server!

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Originally posted by Rarius

Lineage 2 is the best mmorpg experience you will have. It was my first mmorpg I played back in 2005 and even though I tried many new and modern games in the following years like WOW, Aion, Warhammer online, Tera, SWOTR, ESO, Wildstar, I never had the same social experience and fun as I had back in the L2 days. The people that knew and played  L2  in the 'early' years understand me. Of course the game is more hardcore than any other games out there but this doesnt mean that these days are over. There are many people that feel nostalgic about Lineage 2!

Recently (2 months ago) I started playing again in offcial server Naia and to be honest I just wanted to visit some places like executions grounds, cruma tower, antharas lair, giants cave, wasnt in my intention to start playing L2 again. But to my surprise i found so many people still playing, old and new players and had once again so much fun that what started as a simple visit to lineage 2 world, turned out to be so much fun that I stayed and grinded to higher levels (92 so far with dual 87 and ISS character 91) and still grinding ;) . This game is not the same of course as it was some years ago, a lot have changed but still great game.

Now in terms of the L2 classic server, I would very much like to try it with a decent subscription cost (6 euros for example for each account). Another thing that makes me sceptical is the 1/6 rates from old official days of the server that I hear. I think 1/6 is too much and something like 1/2 would be more appropriate. Old official was hardcore so 1/2 of that one would be fine, but 1/6 i dont think so. Dont forget that the russian classic servers started with a big population and  for some months they retained that but now are almost empty. In this competitive mmorpg market that every few months we have a new big mmo coming out, people playing at 1/6 l2 rates will not last in l2. Out of the 15k signatures they gathered for the classic server launch I would say 1-2k really understand what 1/6 really means. Rest 13-14k dont and they will start quiting after few months. And when you start losing population, and friends that you used to play together, clanmates etc you also get turned off and you get dissappointed and quiting is not far ahead.

So to sum some things up I would like a L2 classic server with 5-6 euros sub cost, cause I would definately use 2 accounts so 10-12 euros per month is enough. Secondly abandon the 1/6 rates and make something more realistic like 1/2, and thirdly the botting policy should be tough. If they dont ban the botters from day one, cause 8 out of 10 people that are in favour of 1/6 rates when they were playing l2 in the past they were botting and didnt really feel the grind consuming your life :P..., the server will fail. Few simple things for a successful server!

Let's say that 10k players from those 15K signs will play, 60%+ of them will quit withing 6-7 months because they don't really know what is waiting for them (like the 1/6 drop rates) they are just being influencied by nostalgia but reality is cruel. Just look how Classic Korea and RU are slowly decaying and don't expect that it will be different with EU Classic.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

I love L2 as much as the next L2 Fan, it is still one of my favourite MMOs I have played and I love all the great memories I have from it, but L2 isnt just about the game itself, a lot of its success for me personally was in the player interaction and the people playing it, while it is nice to go around execution grounds again and cruma tower, the game just isnt the same anymore, it has become a fend for yourself kind of game and bang together, the game used to be about player cooperation and that is what made it awesome for me, its not like you could be successful in this game on your own.

Sure you could be a great pvper, but it was about politics and strategies and how you conducted yourself on your server and how you managed your goals ( farm those doomplate parts to get your tanks geared up, or farm eminence bow shafts to equip your archers, lock down DVC so only you get katana drops etc... ) 

A lot of the game now while it has been made a lot more accessible and there are still quite a few people playing it is no longer that experience, you are essentially expected to pay your way up it doesnt really matter how good you are, there is a minimum bar you need to reach in order to be part of the very small group of people who can contest things like castles, if you arent near top level with a 300 element bow and +6 armor you might as well go home until then you are just left grinding on your own and paying money to get past the awful grind. 

The grind didnt matter because everyone cooperated together regarless there were a lot of side goals for everyone and everyone felt useful and part of the clan, this isnt the case anymore, now its all about reaching max level and being optimal then you can actually play the game.

With L2 classic there is hope to make the game relevant at all levels again, the guy selling swords in TI still being relevant up to the guy grinding katanas in DVC, where the game isnt just about rushing through every level to the target level get the optimal gear and then start playing.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Would be fun to use the boats to move through towns because I'd be too broke to use the gatekeeper :D Catching a 5 minute ride with bunch of strangers 
  • RariusRarius Member CommonPosts: 10
    The problem will be with the botters. Everyone has encountered botters in the past and you know what negative impact can have in the server. Few botters are enough to change the servers politics and market. Its not that hard to have 2 Gms go out day and night for few hours and roam around the 'small at first' L2 map and ban botters. I know private servers that they were doing that, so with the resources that Innova will have it will be much easier for a plan against botters. If you want to tackle the botting problem there are ways to do it, if not you have failed as servers game masters.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Good to see you still enjoy the game. I have never stopped playing and never will until either NC Soft pulls the plug or Lineage 3 releases. I have said this many times before that Lineage 2 at its core is still the same game it has always been. Anytime I hear somebody say the game has become easy mode I know then that they don't play the game and have no clue to what the game is about. I finally got my first Epic Boss jewel a couple days ago. Something I have been trying to get for years.  

Lineage 3 is an urban legend. Maybe it can be among the future projects NC intend to develop using Unreal Engine 4. But as the Unreal 4 deal was made in 2013, don't expect another Lineage game before 2020+ due to the simple fact they need 7-8 years to develop an AAA MMO nowadays.

Blade&Soul development started in 2005 and launched in 2012, Lineage Eternal development started in 2008 (after the old Lineage 3 project under Unreal Engine 3 was cancelled and much of its source code, character design and combat-gameplay mechanis were used in TERA) and the launch is expected in late 2016.

Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Mikeha

Good to see you still enjoy the game. I have never stopped playing and never will until either NC Soft pulls the plug or Lineage 3 releases. I have said this many times before that Lineage 2 at its core is still the same game it has always been. Anytime I hear somebody say the game has become easy mode I know then that they don't play the game and have no clue to what the game is about. I finally got my first Epic Boss jewel a couple days ago. Something I have been trying to get for years.  

This is a pretty bold statement considering that many L2 vets claim exactly that.

Its not bold when you play the game and no L2 vets are going to claim that Lineage 2 is easy. Sorry but my toon is 99 working on 100 so you wasting your time.

This is a pretty bold statement considering that many L2 vets claim exactly that.

Its not bold when you play the game and no L2 vets are going to claim that Lineage 2 is easy. Sorry but my toon is 99 working on 100 so you wasting your time.

Lineage 2 is MUCH EASIER than Lineage 1. To have some idea L1 launched in 1998 with 90 levels but only in 2013 the first Korean was able to reach level 88 - he spent 2 years to go from 87 -> 88 while L2 classic has several russians at level cap 6 months after launch. 2 years since then and the ones that reached lvl 88 are not even close to get level 89.

http://2p.com/2768261_1/Finally-Someone-Hit-Level-88-In-Lineage-And-He-Spent-2-Years-Doing-That-by-Wei

If L1 is so harder so why is it so successful? Simple: L1 has a much more balanced and competitive pvp which makes all the difference - in short it delivers a much more fun pvp than L2. L1 also has a much better drop rate, it's hardcore but you leave the game after a session of grind with the feeling that you were rewarded after that grind.

Originally posted by Kabulozo

Lineage 2 is MUCH EASIER than Lineage 1. To have some idea L1 launched in 1998 with 90 levels but only in 2013 the first Korean was able to reach level 88 - he spent 2 years to go from 87 -> 88 while L2 classic has several russians at level cap 6 months after launch.

http://2p.com/2768261_1/Finally-Someone-Hit-Level-88-In-Lineage-And-He-Spent-2-Years-Doing-That-by-Wei

If L1 is so harder so why is it so successful? Simple: L1 has a much more balanced and competitive pvp which makes all the difference - in short it delivers a much more fun pvp than L2. L1 also has a much better drop rate, it's hardcore but you leave the game after a session of grind with the feeling that you were rewarded after that grind.

Who here is talking about L1? LMAO

Prenho3 I feel sorry for you how you keep trolling the L2 forum talking about L1. You are so jealous of Lineage 2 its making you talk about L1 when its not even the game we are discussing. L1 is shut down in the west while Lineage 2 is still going. This is the West not the East and here Lineage 2 was more popular then Lineage 1. Its time you accept that and just move on.

Lineage 2 is MUCH EASIER than Lineage 1. To have some idea L1 launched in 1998 with 90 levels but only in 2013 the first Korean was able to reach level 88 - he spent 2 years to go from 87 -> 88 while L2 classic has several russians at level cap 6 months after launch.

Prenho3 I feel sorry for you how you keep trolling the L2 forum talking about L1. You are so jealous of Lineage 2 its making you talk about L1 when its not even the game we are discussing. L1 is shut down in the west while Lineage 2 is still going. This is the West not the East and here Lineage 2 was more popular then Lineage 1. Its time you accept that and just move on.

I'm just laughing at the poor faces of the remaining L2 players that believe it is the most hardcore experience ever.

And even in west you can still find more hardcore game than L2 with MUCH more players like TIBIA.

I'm just laughing at the poor faces of the remaining L2 players that believe it is the most hardcore experience ever.

And even in west you can still find more hardcore game than L2 with MUCH more players like TIBIA.

Come to Echo Of Soul. Best PVP game out right now.

imageOriginally posted by coretex666

Your answer indicates that I am indeed wasting my time.

Maybe just one example of why I believe L2 was casualized comparing to early chronicles. I am not saying it is easy mode, I am just saying that they made it more casual. Last time I checked official server, I was given whole sets of items for free by NPCs. I believe this was up to A or even S grade. In my opinion, it completely violates what L2 is about.

I am not sure, but arent there items that increase experience gains in cash shop as well? I read that somewhere, not sure if that the case, but if it is, then it is yet another example.

You are presenting your opinion as objective truth which is simply wrong. Saying that anyone who thinks L2 was made easy has no clue what the game is about is insulting.

What I am saying is that anybody that does not play has no idea what this game is about. I played Everquest 2 about 5 years ago. Can I go to the forum and tell people that have been playing for years and still playing today how Everqeust 2 is? What part of this that you don't understand?

Just because they made the early levels easier does not reflect the WHOLE game. That casual mode you are talking does not last long at all. Go level a toon up and then come back and talk. Until then we have nothing to talk about.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I think you're both making valid points, but arguing from different positions.

Compared to how the game was back in the earlier Chronicles, they *have* made L2... hmm.. I don't know if I'd say "easier"... I'd definitely say "more accessible to new players". 

I remember grinding for hours to simply earn enough adena to buy a single piece of top no-grade gear, and feeling awesome when I finally equipped it. I was slightly less naked (yes, I was a DE female :p).  Now? You have gear thrown at you, not to mention plenty of adena to afford anything you'd need, and isn't already given to you. I remember grinding in Giants Cave on kranrots for the quest where you have the chance of getting a rec. for a piece of Tallum armor (and then still having to gather all the mats... and *then* having the chance of failing the craft). Now? You can buy gear right off merchants, and you out-level it so fast it's actually better to just stay in a set of gear for 2 grades. L2 has come a loooooooong way from how it was in the old days - and I think it had to, to remain at all competitive in the modern MMO scene (not forgetting that, while it's doing exceptionally well in the Eastern market, it did pretty poorly in the West).

Back then, players made the most of the entire journey to level cap, because everything mattered, and leveling was so much slower. Reaching that next gear grade was an important milestone, and you knew you'd be spending a lot of time using it, so you tried to get the best possible set you could. These days, people don't even bother thinking about their character's development 'til they've reached the higher levels, because everything before that has been so greatly trivialized. It's a whole different scene now.

I think I recall someone telling me upon returning once in the past that until you reached Awakened, you were considered a lowbie. I mean, I think that says it all, really lol. 

On the other hand... that classic L2 grind does kick in... it just starts *far* later than it used to. I remember those final, oh-so-lengthy levels from 70 to 75. Now? Getting to 75 is cake. It's the levels *after* that where it starts to slow down. Of course, there are also quests now, which can be done pretty quickly, and reward barrels of xp. L2 never had that in the early days, and so you could fairly say that, in that way, it's become easier since GoD.

So yeah.. the "old L2" is still in there... everything's just been sorta "shifted" farther up the level curve. 

That said, I'd still take the old L2 over the post-GoD L2 any day. But that's just me :p

Also, I miss my Blue Wolf Heavy. Easily my favorite set of lower grade gear when I was leveling up.

I also miss catas/necros.

Dammit. I just miss old L2 period lol.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Pratt2112

I think you're both making valid points, but arguing from different positions.

Compared to how the game was back in the earlier Chronicles, they *have* made L2... hmm.. I don't know if I'd say "easier"... I'd definitely say "more accessible to new players". 

I remember grinding for hours to simply earn enough adena to buy a single piece of top no-grade gear, and feeling awesome when I finally equipped it. I was slightly less naked (yes, I was a DE female :p).  Now? You have gear thrown at you, not to mention plenty of adena to afford anything you'd need, and isn't already given to you. I remember grinding in Giants Cave on kranrots for the quest where you have the chance of getting a rec. for a piece of Tallum armor (and then still having to gather all the mats... and *then* having the chance of failing the craft). Now? You can buy gear right off merchants, and you out-level it so fast it's actually better to just stay in a set of gear for 2 grades. L2 has come a loooooooong way from how it was in the old days - and I think it had to, to remain at all competitive in the modern MMO scene (not forgetting that, while it's doing exceptionally well in the Eastern market, it did pretty poorly in the West).

Back then, players made the most of the entire journey to level cap, because everything mattered, and leveling was so much slower. Reaching that next gear grade was an important milestone, and you knew you'd be spending a lot of time using it, so you tried to get the best possible set you could. These days, people don't even bother thinking about their character's development 'til they've reached the higher levels, because everything before that has been so greatly trivialized. It's a whole different scene now.

I think I recall someone telling me upon returning once in the past that until you reached Awakened, you were considered a lowbie. I mean, I think that says it all, really lol. 

On the other hand... that classic L2 grind does kick in... it just starts *far* later than it used to. I remember those final, oh-so-lengthy levels from 70 to 75. Now? Getting to 75 is cake. It's the levels *after* that where it starts to slow down. Of course, there are also quests now, which can be done pretty quickly, and reward barrels of xp. L2 never had that in the early days, and so you could fairly say that, in that way, it's become easier since GoD.

So yeah.. the "old L2" is still in there... everything's just been sorta "shifted" farther up the level curve. 

That said, I'd still take the old L2 over the post-GoD L2 any day. But that's just me :p

Also, I miss my Blue Wolf Heavy. Easily my favorite set of lower grade gear when I was leveling up.

I also miss catas/necros.

Dammit. I just miss old L2 period lol.

This pretty much nails it, the problem is the game is now completly tuned for after awakening so they essentially fast track you all the way to awakening, XP boosts, equipment given, you can pretty much awake with the equipment bonus you get from NCSoft if you play long enough. However the game doesnt really start until you are fully geared up and well into an awakened character.

However the game is basically non existent before 85, it would have been better if they had just removed those levels, until 86 you are essentially on your own leveling as quick as you can, there is only just grind, you are not gonna be part of anything, no one is gonna give you anything. After awakening you are still pretty much a 2 shot target for pvp geared characters until you level into late 90s and have whatever stacked gear exists now, boss jewelery and +16 weapons and whatnot.

If you cant commit to getting these things which will probably be in the region of the billions of adena then you are not gonna be competitive against anyone, there is no chance to grind these things even if you grind 24h a day with your character you will never be able to afford the equipment and enchants probably not even if you ran a whole bot party 24/7.

This is not a walk in the park to get, when I played on Teon on one of the major clans the russians used to buy everything, most people in my clan used to have their L2 expenditure in the triple digits every month ( mainly buying adena from farmers ) , buying boss jewelery and just generally blowing up very expensive weapons trying to get them +16 for their whatever of their alts happen to now be overpowered in pvp.

These people havent gone away, they are still playing the game, and if you cant keep up with the costs or have played with them for a long time that they will bankroll you, you are excluded out of the best content ( the political meta game ).

I would go back to Prelude any day, minus maybe some fixes ( 100% stun lock of shield stun was ridiculous ).

For anybody here that currently plays Lineage 2 today what is your server / level / class?

Mapr, Eva and Shilen servers finally merged into the new Shilen server, now Classic RU has 2 servers with a peak around 2K people each one.
    Mapr, Eva and Shilen servers finally merged into the new Shilen server, now Classic RU has 2 servers with a peak around 2K people each one.

What are people mostly complaining about on the RU forums? Is it the 1/6 rates that's killing the servers?

What are people mostly complaining about on the RU forums? Is it the 1/6 rates that's killing the servers?

Some people wanted the old chronicles with new interface, but after realizing that Classic is some frankenstein with low drop rates, they left. I don't know whether RU has already updated to classic 2.0, maybe with it some people can come back.

• VIktory4Lineage2VIktory4Lineage2 Member UncommonPosts: 62

Some people wanted the old chronicles with new interface, but after realizing that Classic is some frankenstein with low drop rates, they left. I don't know whether RU has already updated to classic 2.0, maybe with it some people can come back.

Yes they updated to the 2.0 so they drop rates are a little better or was it the cost of Soulshots has been reduced one of the two lol...

So any new info on the server or has the plug been pulled?

• VIktory4Lineage2VIktory4Lineage2 Member UncommonPosts: 62

So any new info on the server or has the plug been pulled?

It hasn't been pulled they still working on it, but there is a lot of things they have to go through here is a quote from Amarantha

"And, concerning Classic for Europe, it is all as I have said before: routine work, negotiations, analysis, negotiations, business-model elaboration, negotiations and so on :)" />

this was last wednesday from https://4gameforum.com/threads/25737/page-41

• BK2O1BK2O1 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    I logged into Innova EU and saw that there is a section at server select for "Classic Servers" 
    How does that work? I thought they were 2 separate clients?

Is everyone still hyped for this? 
    I know I am!!
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    BK2O1 said:
    I logged into Innova EU and saw that there is a section at server select for "Classic Servers" 
    How does that work? I thought they were 2 separate clients?

Is everyone still hyped for this? 
    I know I am!!
    I like the idea of it. Just not sure how onboard I am with actually logging in and doing that again. I think I'm going to stick with my fond memories and not chance ruining it. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Xanas111Xanas111 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Classic Server will be free or will be abonament there ?