Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It hard to say goodbye to a game that you love.

13»

Comments

• XxeroxXxerox Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by mogi67

Note: OP is playing Asheron's Call again

http://www.reddit.com/r/AsheronsCall/comments/32i912/darktide_noob_night_sat_april_17_6pm_pst_9pm_est/

ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHA . . . Sorry, i think its just appropriate to fall on the ground and laught really hard without stopping.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    This is either a master class in trolling or a cry for help. 

• DarwinianDarwinian Member Posts: 38

Here is the first part summarized

Part I:

Got off a plane. Feeling lonely. Brother and I started playing AC due to youtube. Joined a guild. Doing really good if I do say so myself. Guild going down in flames. Joined another guild (don't remember why, REASONS!). Guild #1 but dying. Leader steps up and goes Jesus mode. Jesus steps down. I step up. Don't take crap as leader and people leave. I get Will Riker'ed. Trolls everywhere, WHY? (What is a troll anyways?). Leaving after 2 years. My account is for sale (Who's got it better than Bowmanjoe? NOOOOOOBODY!)

I couldn't read anymore due to time constraints. (I only have a 30 min lunch).

If this is what he wrote after leaving a guild... what kind of book did he write when he got his "heart broken"? No... plz don't answer that.

And I apologize if this comes off as rude. I am having a terrible day at work. Since this thread is about opening up about our feelings and all. =)

• bowmanjoebowmanjoe Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Darwinian

Here is the first part summarized

Part I:

Got off a plane. Feeling lonely. Brother and I started playing AC due to youtube. Joined a guild. Doing really good if I do say so myself. Guild going down in flames. Joined another guild (don't remember why, REASONS!). Guild #1 but dying. Leader steps up and goes Jesus mode. Jesus steps down. I step up. Don't take crap as leader and people leave. I get Will Riker'ed. Trolls everywhere, WHY? (What is a troll anyways?). Leaving after 2 years. My account is for sale (Who's got it better than Bowmanjoe? NOOOOOOBODY!)

I couldn't read anymore due to time constraints. (I only have a 30 min lunch).

If this is what he wrote after leaving a guild... what kind of book did he write when he got his "heart broken"? No... plz don't answer that.

And I apologize if this comes off as rude. I am having a terrible day at work. Since this thread is about opening up about our feelings and all. =)

damn ive been away from the computer fora while and IM STOKED to see all of your replies.  i love this recapitulation of my letter!

that is, i suppose, what this letter was; a recapitulation, as opposed to a recap.  i love to write creatively and nearly always in terms of my own like or my experiences.  My experience in Asheron's Call turned out to be an unexpected journey.

Your recap is great but my letter is long for a reason - gravity.  I was surprised how much gravitas these nostalgic memories drummed up for me and I wanted to do them full justice.  

Originally posted by bentrim
    JUMP!!!!!!...............PLEASE

whats this jump?  is that mmorpg posters way of "bumping" a thread?  Thanks for the support.

• SalvadorbardSalvadorbard Member UncommonPosts: 100

Rage quitting, unsubscribing, and just fading away and not logging in anymore: I've done all of these in most of my favourite games but I find any game in which I've made any sort of investment with my character (I'm talking about personal, emotional investment, not cash) always hooks me back eventually.

I've quit WoW a dozen times and keep coming back because it's fun for a while, then it fades a bit and the cycle repeats itself.

I've quit Avalon for months-long breaks at a time and inevitably come back to it because it was the first game I ever played online and there's a whole other level of emotional investment which means nobody can ever reallllllly leave.

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by bowmanjoe

wow almost 1000 views and not a single reply.  guess i failed here.

note to self: dont spill guts on internet.

It is a game, internet pixels.

Game are a pretty big part of people's lives. Especially on this site. So I don't see how being negative like this is helpful to anyone.

• MMOFYWMMOFYW Member Posts: 28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcBnJw-H2wQ
    One movie had it as goodbye song.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Wall-of-text catharsis. But I'm sure it was something the author felt deeply about.

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Just some friendly advice, when you write a post that long be sure to include a TL:DR. That's initially why replies were non-existant.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

I believe you (the OP) truly had a good time with the game and feels a little bad about leaving the game.  However, describing what your characters were capable of and trying to sell them made it feel more like an ad and less like opening up to the internet.  Other comments pointed out that this was more of a post to your guild than a post to this community -- it's like I'm reading someone else's email account.

If part of the post didn't look like an ad, if you were able to condense your points a bit more, and if you could make the post more relevant to people outside your guild, I would have been more sympathetic to you leaving a game you love.

With that said, I think many of us can relate to getting burnt out on a game that at one time we couldn't wait to play.  So I understand the sentiment even if the post didn't quite hit the target set by the post title.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    ... wow ... and i thought games are just entertainment, and there are countless of them where they come from.
    Originally posted by Tinea

I believe you (the OP) truly had a good time with the game and feels a little bad about leaving the game.  However, describing what your characters were capable of and trying to sell them made it feel more like an ad and less like opening up to the internet.  Other comments pointed out that this was more of a post to your guild than a post to this community -- it's like I'm reading someone else's email account.

If part of the post didn't look like an ad, if you were able to condense your points a bit more, and if you could make the post more relevant to people outside your guild, I would have been more sympathetic to you leaving a game you love.

With that said, I think many of us can relate to getting burnt out on a game that at one time we couldn't wait to play.  So I understand the sentiment even if the post didn't quite hit the target set by the post title.

Thanks for the input.

Again, I enjoy creative writing.  This was as much a letter to my friends as it was a bizarre testament to Asheron's Call.  I think the letter requires a lot of curiosity and imagination/empathy to fully appreciate.  I think it can be appreciated by someone who has never played AC and does not know me as a person.  The advertisement was deliberately placed for a number of reasons; I actually did want to sell my accounts, I wanted to challenge the sentiment of the letter, and I wanted to express the RL money trading aspect of the game.

Originally posted by Mhenlos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcBnJw-H2wQ
    One movie had it as goodbye song.

haha thats awesome

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

I don't find it too hard, I was an extremely close support for Ankama with Wakfu almost 3 years of paying and playing the game. Then they released a patch last month that implemented Bind on Equip gear and I quit. One of the best features of their game was the fact that you could trade gear at any point without the fear of it being bound to the account. Which promoted player trade.

Now with BoE items in the game I'll take my money else where and I was 100% clear to the point that I no longer cared about my 6 accounts and being banned after stating I wanted to punch the lead developer in the mouth for making this change to the game. Either way, I left and haven't thought twice about returning.

thats a really stoic approach to your game choice.  strange that you felt to attachment after spending that much time but ive had that same thing happen to me with some games.  

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

It's not that.

It's about a game that most probably never played and it's a wall of text that most will find too long.

It's not that either.

Mostly the guy is simply relating his personal story, and those don't really lend themselves to conversation.

We could certainly talk about how sandbox PVP is casual PVP diluted by non-skill factors, but it's not like pointing that out would change what he enjoys in games.  He did enjoy it.  So there isn't really grounds for discussion.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

For me it's not saying good bye to a game I loved so much as saying good bye to a period of time I loved.

When you get older you will realize peoples attitudes and actions change a lot over time.

I loved the time of UO and EQ because I could spend all my time on those games and the people inside were like minded. 

Now the genre is dominate by both a different generation and a different demographic.  There is a lot more knowledge out there about the effects of MMOs and lack of exercise/healthy diet. 

Even if they do release a MMO that is like old MMOs it won't have the same people or at least the same people with the same mindset.  Things have evolved and changed too much.  Most people have evolved to something different.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by bowmanjoe

It's not that.

It's about a game that most probably never played and it's a wall of text that most will find too long.

Pretty much. Even as a fan of AC, both the length and the lack of any point/message early on had me skimming quick and abandoning it. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by jeeshadow

Suggestion Box:  Learn to sumup.

Also, I NEVER say goodbye to any game, I just say, see you later. ;)

You talk to inanimate objects?

Do you tell a movie how you feel about it after the credit rolls too?

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Insensitive bullies and forum trolls you all are!  Ignore those rude beeaches.  You got something to say about an mmo then say it.  Screw em if they don't like it. 

Let's see.  I bet I got the most torn up over leaving FFXI but you kinda develop a hard shell over time.  I wonder a bit for this new generation of gamers that get way into their gaming world and have more friends online than off.  I can see they're building stronger attachments than us older gamers who have all pretty much lost our first/fav games already.

Anyway, best of luck, OP.  Remember where one door closes behind ten more stand open up ahead!

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498
    This was not the appropriate place to submit this post as others have stated. For the most part it is a letter to yourself, your former guild mates, and an advertisement to sell accounts. Also some random mention of Denzel Washington being black, which was just so deep and philosophical that one.

At the end of the day you have the means to not do any actual work. You try to defend this with a most likely made up story of child labor where your parents made you, as a child, a mason. Give me a break. Everything you say is cringe worthy to the core in my opinion.

So instead of benefiting society at all you read and spew useless information and call yourself a "lifelong student". My favorite part was when you said you wish you had a regular 9-5 job. I think you would last a week or two, crying yourself to sleep every night. You literally have no idea, sadly.

So instead of using your clearly abundant time (busy busy haha) to cure cancer, or hell even learn to make games that you can be proud of, ANYTHING useful or worthwhile you are instead choosing to live in a world of imagination and delusion. There are people out there suffering and struggling, and some of us choose games as a release; not a matrix-esque form of permanent virtual reality that I believe you wish games to be.

You can call me a troll or toxic if you wish, but I read it and that was my reaction and my response.

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    bowmanjoe said:

Your post is wayyyyyyyyyy too long...Say what you have to say in a short paragraph and more of us will read it.