Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switching to a classic theme makes all my Windows PC faster.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I tried this on 2 PC and a notebook. Switching to a classic theme, or a high contrast theme (control panels -> personalization), make my PC much much faster.

And by faster I mean just desktop programs, Firefox, File browser, Alt-Tab. The responsiveness is instant. With the Windows 7 or 8 theme, it lags, and you don't know it lags until you try the classic or high contrast.

Try it.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I thought this was common knowledge. I think the performance difference only matters with hardware from the mid-2000s. For most part modern hardware it won't make a notable difference.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    I think the performance difference you are noticing is due to Windows Aero being turned off.  To test, go back to your "slow" theme, then just turn off Windows Aero.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I thought Aero was dumped in Win8.

But yeah, in Vista/Win7, disabling it brought a big boost to most systems.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi
    My toaster uses the classic theme.

Never underestimate a toaster with a defrost button! image

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Seriously how old are your computers?  Yes, Aero and the win8 theme take up a lot more resources than the "clasicc" theme, however that "lot more" is like using 3% of a modern CPU's capabilities vs 1%.  Its still piddly.  You should not be noticing a significant difference unless you're on some seriously old hardware.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche