Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF exporation and minimum combat

aicronaicron Member Posts: 4

Hi,

I am looking for a new game with a focus on exploration and minimum combat content. To give you a clear view on which games I liked and why I left them coming up:

EVE Online:

I liked the concept of crafting and trading all I needed to expore the vast space... especially the hunt for anomalies :-) I left because of the growing focus on PvP as I advanced. The concept that space is a dangerous place is ok... but far too many people there perverted this conecpt into newbie-bashing. When I realized that some of exactly these people are the developers themselves I left instantly.

EQ2, WOW and some of their clones:

I liked the PvE concept and the non-forced PvP. Decent crafting and exploring added fun to the game until I realized the treadmill concept behind such games. Kill to loot gear to kill even more powerful enemies to loot much more powerful gear to... well you know what I mean. Even some fun-only quests cannot hide this awfully boring concept.

Fallen Earth:

I liked the story and setting of the game. I LOVED the idea of getting REALLY prepared for a long journey before I head into the wilderness. I LOVED the crafting and gathering. The cities were attracting the people from all over the game world and sometimes you could just start exploring the landscape without looking over your shoulder all the time. Then the game was sold to a F2P company and the whole design changed. PvP became much more important and the world became 'smaller' and lost its touch.

So is there any game out there without forced PvP... with minimum combat... with focus on exploring, crafting, gathering, building-something-up rather than destroying/killing as much and as often as possible. Oops ... one more thing: graphics engines like those of Minecraft, Wurm Online etc. are no-gos (at least for me).

P.S: the games I already tried: SWTOR, GW2, Requiem, Perfect World, DAOC, LOTRO, Defiance, Xsyon, Tabula Rasa, Planet Calypso (and associates), Neverwinter, Rift, Vanguard, Horizons, Aion, Vindictus, TERA, Ryzom and some more I forgot atm.

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Skyrim perhaps?

• SuntouchedSuntouched Member CommonPosts: 50

Ive been looking for something like that too, fun exploration with an element of danger but that not being the focus. 

There are some games like that in development, you might be able to play some now but they will cost quite a bit.

There is Wander -

Wander is a collaborative, non-combat, non-competitive game focused on exploration and joy :)

Then there is Grav  

Grav is a sand box game where you explore endless worlds, hunt alien creatures, build and defend bases, craft weapons and armor, and survive against the environment and other players. You can travel to new worlds via stargates and they have planetary travel via space ships which will be able to be customized and more planned for the future. 

It features a rich survival adventure experience in huge open worlds, pvp as well as co-op gameplay with fast-paced combat, and more.  Not sure if there will be pvp servers and pve servers.

• BulldozeBulldoze Member UncommonPosts: 115

Check out : 

Stranded Deep - http://beamteamgames.com/stranded-deep/

The Long Dark - http://intothelongdark.com/

Both survival / exploration games that I am getting my explorer fix from at the moment. 

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

Stranded Deep is basically the movie "Castaway" with Tom Hanks, you can even find Wilson if you look hard enough. The game is made up of procedurally generated islands with large expanses of ocean between them so you never play the same game twice.

You can craft alot of items such as basic tools, weapons, bed, rafts and shacks. One of my favourite things to do is go deep sea diving to shipwrecks in search of loot, but keep an eye out for sharks when you're in deep water!

Sometimes I don't feel brave enough to go out to sea so I just pick coconuts and potatoes, and catch  a few fish instead.

That's what I like about Stranded, you can play how you want to  a certain extent and it's equally rewarding and fun

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Bulldoze

Stranded Deep is basically the movie "Castaway" with Tom Hanks, you can even find Wilson if you look hard enough. The game is made up of procedurally generated islands with large expanses of ocean between them so you never play the same game twice.

You can craft alot of items such as basic tools, weapons, bed, rafts and shacks. One of my favourite things to do is go deep sea diving to shipwrecks in search of loot, but keep an eye out for sharks when you're in deep water!

Sometimes I don't feel brave enough to go out to sea so I just pick coconuts and potatoes, and catch  a few fish instead.

That's what I like about Stranded, you can play how you want to  a certain extent and it's equally rewarding and fun

I believe i remember this game,it is the one you float around in a rubber dingy and worry about sharks all the time?If it is,and i remember right,that game did not seem to be supported anymore.like so many of those survival games,they release early access ,get your money then run.

You could play that type of game in one of MANY survival games out there but they almost always seem cheap and the exploration part is done after about a week or two.

I would say the Zombie survival game Seven days to die is about as close to what the OP is looking for.A Voxel based building/survival game.However as i mentioned a small budget niche game like what the op is looking for,is not going to have great exploration as that would take tons of assets that a small budget cannot afford.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Bulldoze

I believe i remember this game,it is the one you float around in a rubber dingy and worry about sharks all the time?If it is,and i remember right,that game did not seem to be supported anymore.like so many of those survival games,they release early access ,get your money then run.

You could play that type of game in one of MANY survival games out there but they almost always seem cheap and the exploration part is done after about a week or two.

I would say the Zombie survival game Seven days to die is about as close to what the OP is looking for.A Voxel based building/survival game.However as i mentioned a small budget niche game like what the op is looking for,is not going to have great exploration as that would take tons of assets that a small budget cannot afford.

OP said no graphics like minecraft, wurm etc so that writes off 7d2d I'd say. 

Also no, Stranded is still supported. They are moving the game over to Unity 5 currently which will make it even prettier.

Personally I really like the exploration in ESO, I mainly level from exploring delves and and public dungeons but it doesn't really fit the OP's taste as the game is very combat heavy

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

of the mainstream games i would say try eso or gw2 for exploration

if you dont mind 2d (and the fact that if you actually get in combat, you will be proly permakilled) try haven & hearth

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Be a dragon in Istaria and take up dragon laircrafting -- that will take you a few years but the results are insane.
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Look at Ascent:The space game or Elite Dangerous.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by aicron

Hi,

I am looking for a new game with a focus on exploration and minimum combat content. To give you a clear view on which games I liked and why I left them coming up:

EVE Online:

I liked the concept of crafting and trading all I needed to expore the vast space... especially the hunt for anomalies :-) I left because of the growing focus on PvP as I advanced. The concept that space is a dangerous place is ok... but far too many people there perverted this conecpt into newbie-bashing. When I realized that some of exactly these people are the developers themselves I left instantly.

EQ2, WOW and some of their clones:

I liked the PvE concept and the non-forced PvP. Decent crafting and exploring added fun to the game until I realized the treadmill concept behind such games. Kill to loot gear to kill even more powerful enemies to loot much more powerful gear to... well you know what I mean. Even some fun-only quests cannot hide this awfully boring concept.

Fallen Earth:

I liked the story and setting of the game. I LOVED the idea of getting REALLY prepared for a long journey before I head into the wilderness. I LOVED the crafting and gathering. The cities were attracting the people from all over the game world and sometimes you could just start exploring the landscape without looking over your shoulder all the time. Then the game was sold to a F2P company and the whole design changed. PvP became much more important and the world became 'smaller' and lost its touch.

So is there any game out there without forced PvP... with minimum combat... with focus on exploring, crafting, gathering, building-something-up rather than destroying/killing as much and as often as possible. Oops ... one more thing: graphics engines like those of Minecraft, Wurm Online etc. are no-gos (at least for me).

P.S: the games I already tried: SWTOR, GW2, Requiem, Perfect World, DAOC, LOTRO, Defiance, Xsyon, Tabula Rasa, Planet Calypso (and associates), Neverwinter, Rift, Vanguard, Horizons, Aion, Vindictus, TERA, Ryzom and some more I forgot atm.

What the hell does that mean??

PvP is optional.   And how does the world suddenly become smaller?  It is actually probably larger since you last played.   And what is touch?

Sounds like another player who just likes to diss F2P games.

Good luck in your search.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• aicronaicron Member Posts: 4
    So many thx for all your thoughts and suggestions. I will look into one or two of the suggested games :-)
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I agree completely on wanting a game like that. I can never find anything that fits the bill

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Uncharted Waters Online
  • ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

Wander Online is being released 4th June for PS4 and PC. It has no combat what-so-ever just exploration and an amazing sound track.

http://www.wanderthegame.com/

Might be worth checking out :)