Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So im actually considering an AMD product...

HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Ok, so, since im thinking about getting either a 980 or 980ti when they come out to replace my 760's in SLI.  I will have a video card laying about.

What i would like to do is try to build my nephew a gaming PC.  Nothing beastly, just trying to make it cheap, but not so cheap as to be shitty.

I'd like to keep CPU under $100.  Mobo as cheap possible (won't be overclocking).  I have extra cases and a good PSU lying around (corsair 500w).

My goal is using one of the 760's (ill probably ebay or craiglist the other one to recoup some costs), reuse a case and the PSU i have, and then buy mobo/cpu/mem/hdd.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I'd personally never skimp on a mobo going Asrock.  I had a few of them, and they always had issues.  One died altogether, the other one reverted into a weird state where I could not overclock at all.  Read up and found it was a common problem.

Maybe I'm getting old and just don't have time with switching out this and that, but I just skip the crap and go straight for the best products now.  I always stick with intel and nvidia, and boards like Asus.  Not that I totally against AMD, but it sounds like you aren't really a budget gamer if you're running dual video cards.  Spend a little more and simply your life.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476

I have a pretty nice system with a really nice video R9 295x 2 ($1500.00 when it came out ) and I always have issues with almost all MMO except a few. I am thinking of just  replacing this with a titan x because of the issues I have but its not worth it atm. 

tldr; just try to get a mid range Nvida card.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The replies to this thread baffle me - it's like no one reads the posts.

I don't typically recommend specific products for purchase - someone else always comes along with a better deal, or a axe to grind.

You may do ok with a Pentium G3258 - those are around $70, although they are only dual core. The P3470 is right at $100, although your paying $30 for an extra stock 400Mhz, and that chip is supposedly a decent little overclocker and you could likely get that 400+ for free. But an option, since you said you weren't planning on overclocking.

The FX6300 is right at $100 today, I don't know if that is a sale price or not, I'm used to seeing it up around $120. The FX4350 comes in around $85, at a similar clock speed.

Motherboards, I usually go Asus, Gigabyte, MSI. You can get a motherboard for any of those CPUs for under $100 in those brands. Asus M5A97 wouldn't be a bad choice for AMD, at around $80 and stacks up roughly against a Z97 motherboard, you'll pay a bit more for an Intel motherboard - Asus H97 starts around $85, and a Z97s start around $110 - I couldn't in good conscious recommend any of the 8x chipsets any longer.

And then RAM and SSDs/hard drives are more or less commodity, depending on how much of a budget you have left over.

Anyway, if that were my budget, those are the options I'd be looking at.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Thanks everyone.  I was mainly looking for general ideas.  I don't mind spending an extra $10 or $15 to get a gigabyte/asus/etc vs an asrock.  Mainly, i wasn't sure what chipsets and cpu's are current for budget minded, especially in regards to AMD.  Memory is easy, especially since im not intending to OC.  I can handle HDD stuff as well.  I guess i should of said in my post i was more concerned about CPU/mobo combination.

But, the thread delivered, i have some options now ;-).  Thanks all.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Dullahan

I'd personally never skimp on a mobo going Asrock.  I had a few of them, and they always had issues.  One died altogether, the other one reverted into a weird state where I could not overclock at all.  Read up and found it was a common problem.

Maybe I'm getting old and just don't have time with switching out this and that, but I just skip the crap and go straight for the best products now.  I always stick with intel and nvidia, and boards like Asus.  Not that I totally against AMD, but it sounds like you aren't really a budget gamer if you're running dual video cards.  Spend a little more and simply your life.

Just wanted to clarify.  I'm upgrading my current 760's for a 980ti (most likely).  Because i will have some 760's laying around, and some other parts, i was thinking about trying to piece together a moderately decent gaming rig for my Nephew.  I don't exactly have a ton of cash laying around, and since he likes to play minecraft, and CS:GO and stuff, i don't need something beastmode for him.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

When I saw the title of this thread and the original poster, I figured that you'd found a Radeon-branded SSD or memory for cheap and were considering buying it.

-----

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2341974

That's $130 with shipping for a decent quad core CPU and a budget-friendly motherboard.  The CPU is a Kaveri chip with the GPU disabled--which you won't need because you're giving him a GTX 760 anyway.  A stock clock speed of 3.7 GHz with turbo up to 4 GHz isn't bad, either.

Originally posted by Quizzical

When I saw the title of this thread and the original poster, I figured that you'd found a Radeon-branded SSD or memory for cheap and were considering buying it.

-----

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2341974

That's $130 with shipping for a decent quad core CPU and a budget-friendly motherboard.  The CPU is a Kaveri chip with the GPU disabled--which you won't need because you're giving him a GTX 760 anyway.  A stock clock speed of 3.7 GHz with turbo up to 4 GHz isn't bad, either.

Damn, thats a good deal.  Appreciate that a ton quiz.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I would avoid lower end MSI boards. From what I have read, they tend to not be as stable or given as much thought as the higher end ones. The problem with looking at sub $100 CPUs is you are looking at the old and the old. There are 3 CPUs I would consider in your price range. The Intel G3440, AMD Athlon x4 860K for FM2+ sockets, and the AMD Athlon 5350.

The Intel G3440 is only a dual core and the mobo will be more expensive than an AMD equivalent. It would have trouble playing modern games as a result of only 2 cores when a lot of the ones with CPU requirements have moved on to 4 or more.

The Athlon x4 860K is pretty much an AM2 CPU that was die shrunk and placed in an APU board. It'll definitely play the games when paired with a good GPU and probably won't be a system bottleneck like the other 2. However, it is at the top range of your budget.

The Athlon 5350 is just an interesting choice. Its hard to find good data how this will perform with a good GPU. Most people use it for a cheap multimedia machine as its incredibly cheap, low power, and the motherboards are also cheap. You can legitimately build a sub-$100 system with the processor. Its 2.05 ghz will be a problem with several games depending on how the games were programmed. There are some that push a lot onto a single core and need 3ghz or more. But then again its a Jaguar architecture which should mean it has better IPC performance than its AMD counterparts. But it also does not have the most robust features like single channel memory which are sure to reduce performance. My guess is it might hold back games developed from 2008-2012 as those tended to be single or dual core, but its price makes it seem plausible to experiment with.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i wish i had the skills to build a pc,i still have to get people to do it for me,lol.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Years ago, i switched to using AMD for my CPU etc. and tbh, i've never looked back, best decision i ever made, i am still using an old phenom I 950, 2.6 quad core, that it still supports all the newest games is great, but, its old, and i am currently saving up for something better, the equivalent Intel will probably always remain outside of my price range, so, AMD to the rescue, again; 

http://www.novatech.co.uk/motherboardbundles/view/mbb-83208b.html

i already have an MSI 660gtx twin frozr gpu, which i can drop into that working on my current PC, hopefully next year i can upgrade that again image