Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG & MMOARPG - Should we split the two up?

Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499

Back in the days of NES and Sega we had our RPG's. Dragon Warrior on NES was my first RPG that got me hooked on this genera. While i was actually exposed to Phanasty Star on Sega first watching my friends father play the game next door when i was still in elementary school. Back then we were thrown into a world with a level 1 character and as we encountered mobs the digital dice were thrown every time we pushed the attack button. As we gained levels or acquired better gear those digital dice were still thrown but the chance of higher and better attacks were the result. We were basically playing a solo watered down 2D digital version of D&D (Dungeon's & Dragons)

Now comes the internet and we are able to have MMORPG's like UO and some others but the first to make a huge splash was EQ (Everquest). These guys had the vision, John Smedly, Brad McQuiad and Steve Clover. Smed wanted to make the game for SOE and he hired Brad and Steve who had a game in mind that they wanted to create and Smed was all for it. Watch the video here (Evercracked) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHnDSr-b02Q for more information on all that. But if you do watch it you see that Steve and Brad wanted to bring D&D to a digital 3D world. And they did, and it was great :) They kept the system of dice rolling for us using our character stats as the modifiers on those dice. Progression was slow and having the right class of player's in your group made a huge difference.

Somewhere along the line someone created an Action MMORPG. (Who here knows who did it first?) So now we still have the dice rolling with our character stats but we have the added variables of aiming and hitting our target with dodging incoming attacks. With this style of game your reflexes have a huge impact and most classes seem to blur together as DPS. Those with the faster reflexes are the ones you want in your group.

I don't know if I want to get into the argument of which game is better. I've enjoyed both but I do prefer the non action combat MMORPG's for my long term enjoyment. I really do like the D&D style of progression for my characters more so than the Street Fighter way of Action MMORPG's. I think if there was a different way to refer to the 2 different games we would see a lot less bickering and it would also make it much easier to find the games we do enjoy. I really wish I could click a button and see all the non action combat MMORPG's out there big and small.

You don't see the HALO guys coming over here saying "Ohhh what a crappy FPS GW2 is, its so garbage blahhhh!!!!!!! lol...

What do you guys think, Should we add the A for action combat MMORPG's making them MMOARPG's? How nice would it be to have the different game styles finally separated?

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I don't think so. Why dilute it. Think about RPGs. We had isometric RPGs, turn-based, real-time, yada, yada. I don't think that the core game itself differs, you're talking about the combat mechanics, I think, not necessarily the type of game. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm fine with it the way it is. How I kill a mob isn't important to me, dead is dead. What is important is playing a character I can progressively get stronger as I gain some type of experience/gear/spells etc. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

They're already split up. Action RPGs and MMORPGs are two types of MMOs. 

Glad I could help. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Glad I could help. 

eeerrrrr did you mean Action MMORPG's :)

Would be sweet if we had a button for (MMOARPG's) and (MMORPG's)

Click, sorted, done :) ahhhh happiness...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Gyva02

Glad I could help. 

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Some use the term Action MMO, others use the term Action RPG. Pretty much everyone outside of maybe a dozen people on these forums understands what they mean. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Glad I could help. 

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Some use the term Action MMO, others use the term Action RPG. Pretty much everyone outside of maybe a dozen people on these forums understands what they mean. 

Once something becomes different enough it deserves it own category. Otherwise we would just be calling them all games. Having the separations makes it easier for the user to find what they are looking for.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

not really neccesary, but here on the games list it would be nice to have a column stating which type they are

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Good luck with that, Gyva. There's a number of folks here who insist on calling everything and the kitchen sink an MMO. The next step is literally calling the whole shabang "games". There appears to be some sort of odd alergy to classification floating around. You'really absolutely right though; once something becomes distinct and different, it belong in a new "category".

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I really don't think there is a need to sub-divide a category.  It only encourages developers to incorrectly market their products, or, in the worst cases, make up new categories so they can make some marketing claims.   "We're the market leader of developing Elf-Centric European Medieval-based Fantasy Persistent Online World Simulation Games with Massive Potential Populations That Are Sadly Underpopulated!  (ECEMBFPOWSGWMPPTASU)"

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

No I don't see the reason.

It's just not necessary to my thinking.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

So your proposed definition is:

MMORPG = Tab targeting
    MMOARPG = No tab targeting

?

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

Seems to be like arguing between different genres of metal music.  "That's Death Metal", "No man, that's Thrash Metal".  My response is, "who cares?  do you like how it sounds?"

MMORPG, MMOARPG, AMMORPG, I could not possibly care any less.  Do I find the game fun?  I'll play it.  Don't care what label you want to put on it whatsoever.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

Originally posted by Kaladin

Seems to be like arguing between different genres of metal music.  "That's Death Metal", "No man, that's Thrash Metal".  My response is, "who cares?  do you like how it sounds?"

MMORPG, MMOARPG, AMMORPG, I could not possibly care any less.  Do I find the game fun?  I'll play it.  Don't care what label you want to put on it whatsoever.

That's the problem, action combat is heavy metal while non action combat is classic rock :)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

wow .. more debate about more definitions.

Why bother? Just call everything MMOs .. it is not like sites are not doing that already.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Sword of Fargoal (1982) may not have been the first action RPG, but it was one of the earlier ones.  They're not exactly a new thing.  Even the D&D game on IntelliVision (or was it Coleco?) was an action game.  Eye of the Beholder had a decent pace to it too.

In nearly all cases, the amount of twitch skill required is kept deliberately light (since at a certain point RPG stats stop being the primary thing that determines victory, and that's the point where the game is considered an FPS or whatever other genre applies.)

I don't think much confusion or arguing happens related to ARPG vs. RPGs.  When has it ever been unclear exactly how much twitch skill a game involves from the very first video you watch on it?  

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

That's the problem, action combat is heavy metal while non action combat is classic rock :)

Sure, and is irrelevant to quality.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Glad I could help. 

Wy you gotta steal my THUNDER?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Be careful here ...

I try to say the same thing about MMOs and single player games, and some people here don't like the fact that some players don't love MMOs and will play single player games when they are more fun (to the player).

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

I honestly don't think they need their own individual categories. I do however believe there should be "sub-categories" to select from. This would eliminate the unnecessary categories in which many games would probably be duplicated per section.

A sub-category option would give someone the idea of what to expect while leaving the idea of the of one particular genre intact.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    rpg MMO's & action MMO's are already separated ,but something is wrong coz majority players every game with internet conection calling mmoRPG ; mmotps,moba,MP,co-op shooter/ action games
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It would be better to just stop with saying that Mobas and CORPGs (as well as more or less any multiplayer games) are MMOs.

The combat system doesn't make a game less massive or not a RPG game (even if many action games are neither).

It would be nice if we could get a rule for the exact number of players you can see at the same time to call a game "massive" though. An acceptable number (like 64 or more)  would take away a lot of games.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

why stop there? Some other things that would be helpful to add might be;

WIZ = Fantasy

SiFi = Science Fiction

TP = Themepark

SB = Sandbox

P2P = Subscription play

F2P = no subscription required

LGBTQ = LGBTQ Friendly

Eco = portrays environmentally protective ideals

AA = limits use of alchohol or drugs in game

FU = crowdfunding underway

GTFO = moderated playerbase

CASH = Cash shop ingame

POOR = no cash shop in game

BRONIE = Has multicolored horses as mounts

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.