Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting game

JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363

Heya!

Looking for a good looking, crafting heavy game. Lowest amount of PVP possible. Mainly, I enjoy deep and complex crafting systems, with real customization.

Played a lot of Wurm Online, but I feel I need something new, possibly with better graphics.

The game I'm looking for has to have an active community and development, so games like Ryzom and ATITD are out of the question (dead).  No beta games (Repopulation is interesting, but want a game that is released already) or emulators (Vanguard or SWG).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• NuzanNuzan Member UncommonPosts: 33

Ryzom is old too, but has better graphics. All player gear (armors and weapons) are player made, but it is not about crafting everything as in Wurm and there is no "terraforming". Each item has unique stats, due to combination of dozens of material and material qualities with unique stats. There are hundreds combinations possible. Gear quality depends on crafters intelligence.

Material can be foraged and dug out (addictive minigame in itself) or gained by hunting. Best materials are from bosses ofc. Mobs often roam around larger areas (interesting mob ai) , especially in high level areas with best bosses and foraging material.

Ryzom is sandbox fantasy game with daylight cycle, weather and seasons which affect high quality material digging too.

PvP is possible in few pvp areas, other pvp is consensual.

Dedicated and helpful international community. Slow but continuous development. Additional info can be found on steam greenlight too.

• pkerguypkerguy Member UncommonPosts: 16

If you still haven't tried it yet i would recommend Eternal Lands online. It's an indie much like Wurm online.

• JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363

Thanks but I already said no to Ryzom. As for Eternal Lords, it's VERY old and the crafting is too simple.

Thanks for the suggestions, though

• FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64
    You should try LOTRO , it has limited pvp and great deal of crafting. 
  • MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

Lotro has MMO generic crafting, nothing special about it. One plays Lotro for the story.

Xsyon http://www.xsyon.com/content.php is the only MMO that comes close to Wurm and Atitd. Xsyon also launched a PvE server a couple of months ago. As for Atitd they are still working on a new telling, under new management, so if you like(d) that game I would reconsider it when the new telling starts. New tellings always have lots of people from the get-go.

If you don't mind browser games, I can personally advise you Therian Saga http://en.theriansaga.gameforge.com/

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

why not consider EvE, Very indepth crafting (inudstry) section

Since many changes have come in the starter point for industry has been made that a 5 day old toon can build most T1 (basic items) but you can be skill training for 3 years and still not have all the skills maxed for industry/science/production.

See my bio if you wanna try teh game for free and also earn some isk, but i would definatly recommend you try eve :)

PS

Ignore the trolls about the pvp and forced pvp, i haven't even left station in 7 months and make humungous amounts of isk :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

A Tail In The Desert.

http://www.atitd.com/

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Quazal.A

Since many changes have come in the starter point for industry has been made that a 5 day old toon can build most T1 (basic items) but you can be skill training for 3 years and still not have all the skills maxed for industry/science/production.

See my bio if you wanna try teh game for free and also earn some isk, but i would definatly recommend you try eve :)

PS

Ignore the trolls about the pvp and forced pvp, i haven't even left station in 7 months and make humungous amounts of isk :)

image He is on point.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267

I enjoy a deep crafting game, and have been looking for something like the OP for a very long time. 

I played eve for a number of years, and not leaving the station for months is possible but not in 5 days. It takes month and months and months to get a level of crafting that would net a profit.

Offline training of skills for days, weeks, months and even years just to unlock a skill that you need to craft an item then the crafting of such items can take days, weeks, and even months is a truly a deep trade skill event.

I would suggest don't confuse deep crafting system with complex skill tree system. In eve there is no real crafting like in most mmo games. The crafting in eve is done by collecting resources, put them a production facility and some time later you get to pick up your item. Not very fulfilling if you want a deep crafting game.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Originally posted by Tredo

I enjoy a deep crafting game, and have been looking for something like the OP for a very long time. 

I played eve for a number of years, and not leaving the station for months is possible but not in 5 days. It takes month and months and months to get a level of crafting that would net a profit.

Offline training of skills for days, weeks, months and even years just to unlock a skill that you need to craft an item then the crafting of such items can take days, weeks, and even months is a truly a deep trade skill event.

I would suggest don't confuse deep crafting system with complex skill tree system. In eve there is no real crafting like in most mmo games. The crafting in eve is done by collecting resources, put them a production facility and some time later you get to pick up your item. Not very fulfilling if you want a deep crafting game.

The skill that helps with ME efficiency no longer exists in eve, so from day 1 you build at the same material level as a 50mill sp industrilist guy :)

So assume we both have a ME10 PE20 Battleship BPO - Both hte 1 day toon and the 50mill sp player would require the same material cost.

The one point that would help the older player is sales tax :) but even that can be circumvented with private contracts from the trade channels : )

The only efficiency that changes over SP is the speed to build 

edit

on a side note, you can in fact have 15 build slots within 12 days, assuming that each toon on the account does get mass production 4 you can then train 3 toons to get industry level 3 (you might even get this off the bat) and mass production 4

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Fallen earth might be a look see
  • PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by Tredo

The skill that helps with ME efficiency no longer exists in eve, so from day 1 you build at the same material level as a 50mill sp industrilist guy :)

So assume we both have a ME10 PE20 Battleship BPO - Both hte 1 day toon and the 50mill sp player would require the same material cost.

The one point that would help the older player is sales tax :) but even that can be circumvented with private contracts from the trade channels : )

The only efficiency that changes over SP is the speed to build 

edit

on a side note, you can in fact have 15 build slots within 12 days, assuming that each toon on the account does get mass production 4 you can then train 3 toons to get industry level 3 (you might even get this off the bat) and mass production 4

Again very deep skill based tree system, not much crafting in that.

The day 1 toon however, will not have the needed skills to craft the same items that the 50mil sp toon has.

Was my point, Its not like you can grind crafting in eve to raise your skill any faster. Its a time based learning system that just has to tick away to get to the next skill set to craft that next higher level of item.

In eve you can be the highest level crafter in the game after years of training an have not crafted one single item.

That to me is not a heavy crafting game, its a heavy skill based game. 

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

FFXIV has a complex crafting system. YOu can craft X, or Y, or Z...but in order to craft high end X item, you need some levels in Y or Z. Its probably the most complex crafting atm.

PvP is MEH...PvE is Amazing.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by eddieg50

I have to strongly disagree that FE has 'deep' crafting,at least when I tried it all it was was gather materials and click on a button and all it is is a time thing.I don't count gather click a button and wait 4 hours to make a rubber tyre as crafting...some may but it is just as bad as turn 100 ore into 50 bars that is the standard of most (shitty) mmorpg now.

Crafting should always have some risk of total failure imop.

Many thanks for all your replies. Let me answer y'all one by one:

Ryzom: tried again for 3 days (played a lot years ago). The fact that it's a grindfest, and can only craft equipment, feels very short.

FFXIV: played for months for the PvE, waiting for the expansion. Crafting is VERY simple and didn't like it.

EVE: also played for a long time. Totally not what I am looking for (too much downtime)

Therian: I don't mind some browser games (like rusescape) but this one is extremely dull. Just something to have in the back while working.

Xsyon: promising. Will require more attention

Fallen Earth: the low population and weird combat put me off that game. Also, cannot do crafting without a lot of combat

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Age Of Wushu

This game has the best crafting system I have seen so far in a mmo. Its the only game I know where you can actually just be a crafter. You can become one of the best craftsmen in game and never have to kill anything. This is the first mmo I have ever played where I am impressed with the crafting and I have never cared about crafting before I started playing this game. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373588/Second-Best-Age-of-Wushu-Crafting-guide-EVER-MADE.html

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    Originally posted by eddieg50

I have to strongly disagree that FE has 'deep' crafting,at least when I tried it all it was was gather materials and click on a button and all it is is a time thing.I don't count gather click a button and wait 4 hours to make a rubber tyre as crafting...some may but it is just as bad as turn 100 ore into 50 bars that is the standard of most (shitty) mmorpg now.

Crafting should always have some risk of total failure imop.

I have to agree with this.  There's a big difference in being able to craft a lot of items and a 'deep' crafting system.

I haven't played FE since beta days, but back then it was just click and wait a while for the game to craft the item for you, then retrieve after the timer is done.

But if you just want to make tons of neat stuff and not worry about the actual process of crafting, FE might be worth a look, but I don't imagine the population is very high at all.

Sadly, there's not very many deep crafting games.

You could always check out Landmark if you are into voxel-building style of crafting.  It has the voxel building and a regular crafting system in it for making gear and such(but I don't think there's much depth to be found with that).  There isn't much else to the game though really.

The only crafting games that come to mind are all in development still.  Wurm Online is still often considered to be one of the deepest by alot of people, so I hope your expectations aren't very high ;)

Sorry to keep shooting down your suggestions, but Age of Wushu is a P2W grindfest (I'll try to avoid as many korean games as possible for this very reason), and Landmark is basically Minecraft with makeup. Unimaginative, unpolished. I'd rather play Everquest Next
  • nikixosnikixos Member UncommonPosts: 6
    If you liked wurm online. Salem the crafting mmo is very much like it. I have a few friends there who are wurm veterans as well. No pvp? Well. This game takes proud in its perma pvp death mechanics. But pvp comes if you look for it, since raiding mechanics changed recently. Also the community is pretty active and some guilds are friendly and fun.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I think you are waiting for  The Repop.

If it is ever done of course.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Looking through what has been suggested already, all I can think of would be Archeage (though there's a lot of PvP), or perhaps Trove.
  • MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by Jaldren

Heya!

Looking for a good looking, crafting heavy game. Lowest amount of PVP possible. Mainly, I enjoy deep and complex crafting systems, with real customization.

Played a lot of Wurm Online, but I feel I need something new, possibly with better graphics.

The game I'm looking for has to have an active community and development, so games like Ryzom and ATITD are out of the question (dead).  No beta games (Repopulation is interesting, but want a game that is released already) or emulators (Vanguard or SWG).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

As an avid Wurm player myself i guess i'd recommend LIfe is Feudal. Or Minecraft lol. Honestly nothing comes close to Wurm for that crafting except life is fuedal.